Interested in getting involved with our research? Take a look at the research interests of the cluster members below and find out how to get in contact.
All members of the disinformation research cluster welcome questions and/or expressions of interest for supervision of independent postgraduate research at PhD level. The areas of expertise of the members of the research cluster are listed below. However, if you have an innovative research idea related to the study of disinformation that is not listed below, do get in touch to discuss it.
Dr Dani Madrid-Morales
- China-Africa media relations
- Disinformation in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Global public opinion
- Audiences and global media flows
- Computational approaches to the study news
Dr Ilya Yablokov
- Disinformation and conspiracy theories
- Censorship and self-censorship in the media
- Political communication in authoritarian regimes
Dr Irini Katsirea
- International, European and comparative media law and policy
- Freedom of expression
- Information law
Dr Jared Ahmad
- Media discourses and representations of the East, Islam, terrorism and political violence
- The politics/processes of terrorist/extremist (self)representation, knowledge and power
- Violent Jihadi or far-right extremist propaganda
- Terrorism and visual political communication
Dr Pawel Surowiec-Capell
- Political communication and democratisation
- Soft power, public diplomacy and digital diplomacy
- Strategic communication and political public relations
- Propaganda, disinformation and misinformation
- Political participation and digital politics
- Political journalism and journalistic routines
Our outstanding reputation for journalism
The Department of Journalism Studies ranks in the top five of all three of the UK's independent university league tables.
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.