Professor Frederik Claeyssens
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Professor of Biomaterials
+44 114 222 5513
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Frederik Claeyssens joined the department in 2008 from the University of Bristol, where he was a Research Fellow at the Life Sciences Interface of the Chemistry Department.
He obtained his first degree in Chemistry at Ghent University (Belgium) and his PhD in Chemistry at the University of Bristol, and he was a PDRA at the University of Birmingham and the University of Bristol.
- Research interests
Frederik´s research expertise focusses mainly on laser processing of biomaterials and its applications. This research portfolio can be divided into three projects:
Coatings for biology: Biocompatible coatings of semiconductors to be integrated into cell-silicon interfaces for biosensors. These coatings are currently investigated for in vivo/in vitro recording devices of electroactive cells (heart/brain cells).
Bioprinting: Laser-based techniques for printing biomolecules/cells for producing biomolecule arrays and biosensors. I have further developed this technique as a parallel direct-write technique, able to print 1000 pixels in one single laser shot. This technique is able to print viscous fluids containing DNA, proteins and even living cell.
Biomaterials manufacture via micro stereolithography: Using top-down approaches to controllable (via CAD/CAM) produce 3D biocompatible/degradable polymer structures with micrometre resolution. Combination of this technique with bottom-up approaches to achieve hybrid biomaterials as 3D scaffolds for implants, tissue engineering and pharmaceutical testing.
Additionally, Frederik has a keen research interest in computational solid-state and biological chemistry. His previous work in this area includes predicting the stabilisation mechanism for the growth of polar wurtzite surfaces, based on the existence of a low energy graphite-like structure (or h-BN) for ultra-thin wurtzite films. This model has recently been confirmed experimentally and forms the basis for understanding growth of polar surfaces in a large number of key technological materials (e.g. ZnO, GaN, CdSe and SiC).
Frederik has also studied enzyme reactions on an unprecedented high level of theory, providing powerful new tools for modelling enzyme reactions, and enabling for the first time the study of enzyme reactions computationally with chemical accuracy.
- Laser based bioprinting (EPSRC funded)
- 3D microstructure fabrication of biomaterials for tissue engineering
- Surfactant-free gelatin-stabilised biodegradable polymerised high internal phase emulsions with macroporous structures. Frontiers in Chemistry, 11.
- Synthesis and characterisation of photocurable poly(glycerol sebacate)-co-poly(ethylene glycol) methacrylates. Materials Today Advances, 19, 100410-100410.
- In Vivo Bone Regeneration Capacity of Multiscale Porous Polycaprolactone-Based High Internal Phase Emulsion (PolyHIPE) Scaffolds in a Rat Calvarial Defect Model.. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces.
- Effect of Solvent Type on Porous Structure of Emulsion Templated Poly(glycerol sebacate)-Methacrylate. Materials Letters, 134566-134566.
- Aligned polyhydroxyalkanoate blend electrospun fibers as intraluminal guidance scaffolds for peripheral nerve repair. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 9(3), 1472-1485.
- Optimization of a high internal phase emulsion-based resin for use in commercial vat photopolymerization additive manufacturing. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing.
- Synergistic effect of type and concentration of surfactant and diluting solvent on the morphology of emulsion templated matrices developed as tissue engineering scaffolds. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 180.
- Porous biomaterials for tissue engineering: a review. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. View this article in WRRO
- In vitro effect of geranylgeraniol (GGOH) on bisphosphonate-induced cytotoxicity of oral mucosa cells. Frontiers in Oral Health, 3. View this article in WRRO
- Spatial control of neuronal adhesion on diamond-like carbon. Frontiers in Materials, 8.
- Morphological response in cancer spheroids for screening photodynamic therapy parameters. Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences, 8(11).
- Thiolene- and polycaprolactone methacrylate-based polymerized high internal phase emulsion (PolyHIPE) scaffolds for tissue engineering. Biomacromolecules. View this article in WRRO
- Bioactive 3D scaffolds for the delivery of NGF and BDNF to improve nerve regeneration. Frontiers in Materials, 8. View this article in WRRO
- In Vitro Low-Fluence Photodynamic Therapy Parameter Screening Using 3D Tumor Spheroids Shows that Fractionated Light Treatments Enhance Phototoxicity.. ACS Biomater Sci Eng.
- Fabrication of Topographically Controlled Electrospun Scaffolds to Mimic the Stem Cell Microenvironment in the Dermal-Epidermal Junction.. ACS biomaterials science & engineering.
- The Use of Microfabrication Techniques for the Design and Manufacture of Artificial Stem Cell Microenvironments for Tissue Regeneration.. Bioengineering (Basel), 8(5).
- A tuneable, photocurable, poly(caprolactone)-based resin for tissue engineering—synthesis, characterisation and use in stereolithography. Molecules, 26(5). View this article in WRRO
- Rapid fabrication of 2D magnetic microstructures by laser direct writing (LDW). IEEE Transactions on Magnetics.
- Decellularised extracellular matrix decorated PCL PolyHIPE scaffolds for enhanced cellular activity, integration and angiogenesis.. Biomater Sci.
- Identifying and mapping chemical bonding within phenolic resin using Secondary Electron Hyperspectral Imaging. Polymer Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- Design and evaluation of an osteogenesis-on-a-chip microfluidic device incorporating 3D cell culture. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8.
- Basic principles of emulsion templating and its use as an emerging manufacturing method of tissue engineering scaffolds. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 8.
- Biomimetic surface delivery of NGF and BDNF to enhance neurite outgrowth. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. View this article in WRRO
- 2-deoxy-d-ribose (2dDR) upregulates vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and stimulates angiogenesis. Microvascular Research, 131, 104035-104035.
- Combined porogen leaching and emulsion templating to produce bone tissue engineering scaffolds. International Journal of Bioprinting, 6(2), 99-113. View this article in WRRO
- Bioengineering vascular networks to study angiogenesis and vascularisation of physiologically relevant tissue models in vitro. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- UV-Casting on methacrylated PCL for the production of a peripheral nerve implant containing an array of porous aligned microchannels. Polymers, 12(4). View this article in WRRO
- Boosting the osteogenic and angiogenic performance of multiscale porous polycaprolactone scaffolds by In vitro generated extracellular matrix decoration. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 12(11), 12510-12524. View this article in WRRO
- Characterizing cross‐linking within polymeric biomaterials in the SEM by secondary electron hyperspectral imaging. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 41(3). View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of the anabolic effects of reported osteogenic compounds on human mesenchymal progenitor-derived osteoblasts. Bioengineering, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of the angiogenic potential of 2-deoxy-D-ribose using a novel in vitro 3D dynamic model in comparison with established in vitro assays. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Hybrid manufacturing strategies for tissue engineering scaffolds using methacrylate functionalised poly(glycerol sebacate). Journal of Biomaterials Applications. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamic photo-cross-linking of native silk enables macroscale patterning at a microscale resolution. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 6(1), 705-714. View this article in WRRO
- Pre-Seeding of Simple Electrospun Scaffolds with a Combination of Endothelial Cells and Fibroblasts Strongly Promotes Angiogenesis. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 17(4), 445-458.
- Unidirectional neuronal cell growth and differentiation on aligned polyhydroxyalkanoate blend microfibres with varying diameters. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 13(9), 1581-1594. View this article in WRRO
- A novel bilayer polycaprolactone membrane for guided bone regeneration : combining electrospinning and emulsion templating. Materials, 12(16), 2643-2643. View this article in WRRO
- Carbon dot-protoporphyrin IX conjugates for improved drug delivery and bioimaging. PLoS ONE, 14(7). View this article in WRRO
- Decellularised baby spinach leaves and their potential use in tissue engineering applications: Studying and promoting neovascularisation. Journal of Biomaterials Applications, 34(4), 546-559.
- Emulsion templated scaffolds manufactured from photocurable polycaprolactone. Polymer, 175, 243-254. View this article in WRRO
- Using ex Ovo Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane (CAM) Assay To Evaluate the Biocompatibility and Angiogenic Response to Biomaterials. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 5(7), 3190-3200.
- Development of a 3D in vitro Model of the Kidney Cortical Collecting Duct. The FASEB Journal, 33(S1), 575.7-575.7.
- Exploration of 2-deoxy-D-ribose and 17β-Estradiol as alternatives to exogenous VEGF to promote angiogenesis in tissue-engineered constructs. Regenerative Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Selective laser melting processed Ti6Al4V lattices with graded porosities for dental applications. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 90, 20-29.
- Topography design in model membranes: Where biology meets physics. Experimental Biology and Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Light-based additive manufacturing of PolyHIPEs: Controlling the surface porosity for 3D cell culture applications. Materials & Design, 156, 494-503. View this article in WRRO
- A methodology for the production of microfabricated electrospun membranes for the creation of new skin regeneration models. Journal of Tissue Engineering, 9. View this article in WRRO
- Additive manufactured biodegradable poly(glycerol sebacate methacrylate) nerve guidance conduits. Acta Biomaterialia, 78, 48-63. View this article in WRRO
- Porous microspheres support mesenchymal progenitor cell ingrowth and stimulate angiogenesis. APL Bioengineering. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis, characterization and 3D micro-structuring via 2-photon polymerization of poly(glycerol sebacate)-methacrylate-an elastomeric degradable polymer. Frontiers in Physics, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Laser direct writing (LDW) of magnetic structures. AIP Advances, 8(5), 056322-056322. View this article in WRRO
- Mapping Nanostructural Variations in Silk by Secondary Electron Hyperspectral Imaging. Advanced Materials, 29(47). View this article in WRRO
- Investigating neovascularization in rat decellularized intestine - an in vitro platform for studying angiogenesis. Tissue Engineering - Part A., 22(23 - 24), 1317-1326. View this article in WRRO
- Photocurable high internal phase emulsions (HIPEs) containing hydroxyapatite for additive manufacture of tissue engineering scaffolds with multi-scale porosity. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 67, 51-58. View this article in WRRO
- Angle selective backscattered electron contrast in the low-voltage scanning electron microscope: simulation & experiment for polymers. Ultramicroscopy, 171, 126-138. View this article in WRRO
- Fabrication of biodegradable synthetic vascular networks and their use as a model of angiogenesis. Cells Tissues Organs, 202(5-6). View this article in WRRO
- Osteosarcoma growth on trabecular bone mimicking structures manufactured via laser direct write. International Journal of Bioprinting, 2(2). View this article in WRRO
- Erratum: Wally, Z.J.; van Grunsven, W.; Claeyssens, F.; Goodall, R.; Reilly, G.C. Porous Titanium for Dental Implant Applications. Metals 2015, 5, 1902–1920.. Metals, 6(5), 97-97. View this article in WRRO
- Emulsion templated scaffolds with tunable mechanical properties for bone tissue engineering. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 54, 159-172. View this article in WRRO
- Photochemically modified diamond-like carbon surfaces for neural interfaces. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 58, 1199-1206. View this article in WRRO
- Data for the analysis of PolyHIPE scaffolds with tunable mechanical properties for bone tissue engineering. Data in Brief, 5, 616-620. View this article in WRRO
- The Tissue-Engineered Vascular Graft—Past, Present, and Future. Tissue Engineering Part B: Reviews. View this article in WRRO
- Nerve guides manufactured from photocurable polymers to aid peripheral nerve repair. Biomaterials, 49, 77-89. View this article in WRRO
- Towards the fabrication of artificial 3D microdevices for neural cell networks. Biomedical Microdevices, 17(2).
- Rocking Media Over Ex Vivo Corneas Improves This Model and Allows the Study of the Effect of Proinflammatory Cytokines on Wound Healing. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 56(3), 1553-1561. View this article in WRRO
- Fabrication of biodegradable synthetic perfusable vascular networks via a combination of electrospinning and robocasting. Biomaterials Science, 3(4), 592-596. View this article in WRRO
- Nerve tissue engineering using blends of poly(3-hydroxyalkanoates) for peripheral nerve regeneration. Engineering in Life Sciences, 15(6), 612-621. View this article in WRRO
- September 2014: This Month in JoVE-Visualizing Coral, Injecting Hydra, Engineering Corneal Implants, and Assessing Traumatic Brain injury in Children. JOVE-JOURNAL OF VISUALIZED EXPERIMENTS(91).
- Amine functionalized nanodiamond promotes cellular adhesion, proliferation and neurite outgrowth.. Biomed Mater, 9(4), 045009.
- Photochemical functionalisation of diamond-like-carbon for electronic neural interfaces. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 401-401.
- Photo stereolithography of high internal phase emulsions for tissue engineering applications. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 198-199.
- PolyHIPE-based porous microparticles for tissue engineering. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 422-423.
- Amine functional hydrogels as selective substrates for corneal epithelialization.. Acta Biomater, 10(7), 3029-3037.
- Characterisation and evaluation of the impact of microfabricated pockets on the performance of limbal epithelial stem cells in biodegradable PLGA membranes for corneal regeneration. Biomaterials Science, 2(5), 723-734. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of porosity on cell ingrowth into accurately defined, laser-made, polylactide-based 3D scaffolds. Applied Surface Science.
- An 'off-the shelf' synthetic membrane to simplify regeneration of damaged corneas. Middle East Conference on Biomedical Engineering, MECBME, 59-62.
- Simplifying corneal surface regeneration using a biodegradable synthetic membrane and limbal tissue explants.. Biomaterials, 34(21), 5088-5106.
- Micro-Stereolithography: Macrostructuring of Emulsion-templated Porous Polymers by 3D Laser Patterning (Adv. Mater. 23/2013).. Adv Mater, 25(23), 3177.
- Development of a microfabricated artificial limbus with micropockets for cell delivery to the cornea.. Biofabrication, 5(2), 025008.
- Macrostructuring of emulsion-templated porous polymers by 3D laser patterning.. Adv Mater, 25(23), 3178-3181.
- Towards new binary compounds: Synthesis of amorphous phosphorus carbide by pulsed laser deposition. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 198, 466-474.
- The effect of porosity on cell ingrowth in 3D laser-fabricated biodegradable scaffolds for bone regeneration. 2013 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics Europe and International Quantum Electronics Conference, CLEO/Europe-IQEC 2013.
- The effect of porosity on cell ingrowth in 3D laser-fabricated biodegradable scaffolds for bone regeneration. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers.
- Ultra-Flexible Boron-Oxygen 3D Solid-State Networks. Advanced Functional Materials, 10(6).
- Combined microfabrication and electrospinning to produce 3-D architectures for corneal repair.. Acta Biomater, 9(3), 5511-5520.
- Development of tissue engineered stem cell niches for corneal repair. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 6, 137-137.
- Development of a 3D neuronal glial co-culture model for peripheral nerve studies and repair strategies. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 6, 352-352.
- Amine functionalised nanodiamond for neuronal cell culture. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 6, 76-77.
- RGD functionalised highly branched poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) (HB-p(NIPAM)) semi interpenetrating polymer networks (semi-IPNs) for peripheral nerve repair. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 6, 78-79.
- Functionalised degrable photocurable polymers for peripheral nerve repair. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 6, 78-78.
- Two-photon polymerization-generated and micromolding-replicated 3D scaffolds for peripheral neural tissue engineering applications.. Biofabrication, 4(2), 025005.
- An aligned 3D neuronal-glial co-culture model for peripheral nerve studies. Biomaterials.
- An aligned 3D neuronal-glial co-culture model for peripheral nerve studies. Biomaterials, 33(25), 5901-5913.
- Ternary silicon germanium nitrides: A class of tunable band gap materials. PHYSICAL REVIEW B, 84(24).
- Direct laser writing of 3D scaffolds for neural tissue engineering applications.. Biofabrication, 3(4), 045005.
- Analysis of chorismate mutase catalysis by QM/MM modelling of enzyme-catalysed and uncatalysed reactions.. Org Biomol Chem, 9(5), 1578-1590.
- Diamond and related materials for biological applications, 155-194.
- Direct laser writing of polylactide 3D scaffolds. Optics InfoBase Conference Papers.
- Development of a microfabricated outer ring for corneal repair. European Cells and Materials, 22(SUPPL.3), 14.
- Neuronal growth and patterning on diamond like carbon substrates. European Cells and Materials, 22(SUPPL.2), 40.
- Two photon polymerisation of photocurable biomaterials. European Cells and Materials, 22(SUPPL.2), 50.
- Microstructuring of photocurable biomaterials with applications in neuronal repair. European Cells and Materials, 22(SUPPL.3), 15.
- Morphological influence of functionalised nanodiamond surfaces on neuronal cells. European Cells and Materials, 22(SUPPL.3), 44.
- Direct laser writing of 3D scaffolds for neural tissue engineering applications. Biofabrication, 3(4).
- Direct laser writing of polylactide 3D scaffolds. 2011 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics Europe and 12th European Quantum Electronics Conference, CLEO EUROPE/EQEC 2011.
- 3D structuring of biocompatible and biodegradable polymers via stereolithography.. Methods Mol Biol, 695, 309-321.
- Design of three-dimensional solid-state boron oxide networks: Ab initio calculations using density functional theory. PHYS REV B, 82(9).
- Predicting crystal structures ab initio: group 14 nitrides and phosphides.. Phys Chem Chem Phys, 12(30), 8620-8631.
- Three-dimensional polycaprolactone structures fabricated by two-photon polymerization. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1288, 154-161.
- Differential patterning of neuronal, glial and neural progenitor cells on phosphorus-doped and UV irradiated diamond-like carbon.. Biomaterials, 31(2), 207-215. View this article in WRRO
- Carbon nitride: Ab initio investigation of carbon-rich phases. PHYS REV B, 80(17). View this article in WRRO
- Solid phases of phosphorus carbide: An ab initio study. PHYS REV B, 79(13).
- Three-Dimensional Biodegradable Structures Fabricated by Two-Photon Polymerization.. Langmuir.
- Laser irradiation shows promise for microstructured biomaterials. SPIE Newsroom.
- Cell patterning on modified diamond-like carbon (DLC). European Cells and Materials, 18(SUPPL. 2), 89.
- Patterned growth of neuronal cells on modified diamond-like carbon substrates.. Biomaterials, 29(17), 2573-2580.
- Characterization of solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells utilizing high absorption coefficient metal-free organic dyes.. J Am Chem Soc, 130(4), 1367-1375.
- A theoretical study of ultra-thin films with the wurtzite and zinc blende structures. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, 1035, 122-127.
- ZnO nanorod micropatterning via laser-induced forward transfer. APPL PHYS A-MATER, 87(1), 17-22.
- High-Accuracy Computation of Reaction Barriers in Enzymes. Angewandte Chemie, 118(41), 7010-7013.
- High-accuracy computation of reaction barriers in enzymes.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 45(41), 6856-6859.
- Graphitic nanofilms as precursors to wurtzite films: theory.. Phys Rev Lett, 96(6), 066102.
- Immobilization of large size-selected silver clusters on graphite. NANOTECHNOLOGY, 17(3), 805-807.
- Multiple high-level QM/MM reaction paths demonstrate transition-state stabilization in chorismate mutase: correlation of barrier height with transition-state stabilization.. Chem Commun (Camb)(40), 5068-5070.
- Growth of ZnO thin films - experiment and theory. J MATER CHEM, 15(1), 139-148.
- Phosphorus carbides: theory and experiment.. Dalton Trans(19), 3085-3092.
- Phosphorus carbide thin films: experiment and theory. APPL PHYS A-MATER, 79(4-6), 1237-1241.
- Pulser Laser Ablation and Deposition of Thin Films.. ChemInform, 35(16).
- Pulsed laser ablation and deposition of thin films.. Chem Soc Rev, 33(1), 23-31.
- Ab initio Predictions of Ferroelectric Ternary Fluorides with the LiNbO3 Structure.. ChemInform, 34(52).
- Ab initio predictions of ferroelectric ternary fluorides with the LiNbO3 structure.. Chem Commun (Camb)(19), 2440-2441.
- Comparison of the ablation plumes arising from ArF laser ablation of graphite, silicon, copper, and aluminum in vacuum. J APPL PHYS, 94(4), 2203-2211.
- Erratum: Solid phosphorus carbide (Chemical Communications (2002) (2494)). Chemical Communications(16), 2086.
- Solid phosphorus carbide? (pg 2494, 2002). CHEM COMMUN(17), 2086-2086.
- Studies of the plume accompanying pulsed ultraviolet laser ablation of zinc oxide. J APPL PHYS, 92(11), 6886-6894.
- Plume emissions accompanying 248 nm laser ablation of graphite in vacuum: Effects of pulse duration. J APPL PHYS, 91(9), 6162-6172.
- Solid phosphorus carbide?. CHEM COMMUN(21), 2494-2495.
- Investigations of the plume accompanying pulsed ultraviolet laser ablation of graphite in vacuum. J APPL PHYS, 89(1), 697-709.
- Elastomeric Porous Poly(glycerol sebacate) Methacrylate (PGSm) Microspheres as 3D Scaffolds for Chondrocyte Culture and Cartilage Tissue Engineering. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 24(13), 10445-10445.
- Investigating the Potential of Electroless Nickel Plating for Fabricating Ultra-Porous Metal-Based Lattice Structures Using PolyHIPE Templates. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
- Development of PCL PolyHIPE Substrates for 3D Breast Cancer Cell Culture. Bioengineering, 10(5), 522-522.
- Elastomeric, bioadhesive and pH-responsive amphiphilic copolymers based on direct crosslinking of poly(glycerol sebacate)-co-polyethylene glycol. Biomaterials Science.
- Preparation of Interconnected Pickering Polymerized High Internal Phase Emulsions by Arrested Coalescence. Langmuir.
- Low methacrylated poly(glycerol sebacate) for soft tissue engineering. Polymer Chemistry, 13(23), 3513-3528.
- Considerations Using Additive Manufacture of Emulsion Inks to Produce Respiratory Protective Filters Against Viral Respiratory Tract Infections Such as the COVID-19 Virus. International Journal of Bioprinting, 7(1).
- Bioresorbable and Mechanically Optimized Nerve Guidance Conduit Based on a Naturally Derived Medium Chain Length Polyhydroxyalkanoate and Poly(ε-Caprolactone) Blend. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering.
- Graphene and novel graphitic ZnO and ZnS nanofilms: the energy landscape, non-stoichiometry and water dissociation. Nanoscale Advances, 1(5), 1924-1935.
- Applications of crystal structure prediction – inorganic and network structures: general discussion. Faraday Discussions, 211, 613-642.
- Adventures in boron chemistry – the prediction of novel ultra-flexible boron oxide frameworks. Faraday Discussions, 211, 569-591.
- Pre-clinical evaluation of advanced nerve guide conduits using a novel 3D in vitro testing model. International Journal of Bioprinting, 4(1). View this article in WRRO
- Porous Titanium for Dental Implant Applications. Metals, 5(4), 1902-1920. View this article in WRRO
- Arginine–glycine–aspartic acid functional branched semi-interpenetrating hydrogels. Soft Matter, 11(38), 7567-7578. View this article in WRRO
- Combination of Microstereolithography and Electrospinning to Produce Membranes Equipped with Niches for Corneal Regeneration. Journal of Visualized Experiments(91).
- Modulation of neuronal cell affinity of composites scaffolds based on polyhydroxyalkanoates and bioactive glasses. Biomedical Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Combination of Microstereolithography and Electrospinning to Produce Membranes Equipped with Niches for Corneal Regeneration. Journal of Visualized Experiments(91), e51826-e51826. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding Surface Modifications Induced via Argon Plasma Treatment through Secondary Electron Hyperspectral Imaging. Advanced Science, 2003762-2003762.
- Delivery of Bioactive Compounds to Improve Skin Cell Responses on Microfabricated Electrospun Microenvironments. Bioengineering, 8(8), 105-105.
- The Importance of Mimicking Dermal-Epidermal Junction for Skin Tissue Engineering: A Review. Bioengineering, 8(11), 148-148.
- - Two-Photon Polymerization for Tissue-Engineered Scaffold Fabrication, Optical Techniques in Regenerative Medicine (pp. 110-131). CRC Press
- Two-Photon Polymerization for Tissue-Engineered Scaffold Fabrication, Optical Techniques in Regenerative Medicine (pp. 93-113).
- Two-Photon Polymerization for Tissue-Engineered Scaffold Fabrication, Optical Techniques in Regenerative Medicine (pp. 93-114). Taylor & Francis
- Growth of ZnO Nanorods from the Gas Phase In Prescott WV & Schwartz AI (Ed.), Nanorods, nanotubes, and nanomaterials research progress (pp. 239-278). Nova Science Publishers
Conference proceedings papers
- TOPOGRAPHICALLY CONTROLLED NANOFIBROUS MEMBRANES TO MIMIC THE EPIDERMAL STEM CELL MICROENVIROMENT OF THE RETE RIDGES. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 28 (pp S51-S51)
- THE INCORPORATION OF A NATIVE-LIKE EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX IN NERVE GUIDE CONDUITS FOR PERIPHERAL NERVE REPAIR. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 28 (pp S376-S376)
- CRANIOFACIAL BONE DEFECT REPAIR USING POLYMER SCAFFOLDS AND CELL DERIVED MATRIX. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 28 (pp S551-S552)
- BIOMATERIAL SURFACE FUNCTIONALIZATION FOR SUSTAINED DELIVERY OF NGF AND BDNF TO STIMULATE NEURITE GROWTH. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 28 (pp S51-S51)
- BIOACTIVE 3D SCAFFOLDS FOR THE DELIVERY OF NEUROTROPHINS TO IMPROVE NEURITE OUTGROWTH AND INDUCE SCHWANN CELL MIGRATION. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 28 (pp S602-S602)
- Enhanced Collagen Production from Human Dermal Fibroblasts on Poly(glycerol sebacate)-methacrylate Scaffolds. 2018 11th Biomedical Engineering International Conference (BMEiCON), 21 November 2018 - 24 November 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of the osteogenic and angiogenetic potential of in vitro generated extracellular matrix decorated multiscale porous polyHIPE scaffolds. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Investigating the barrier membrane properties of biphasic PCL scaffolds for guided tissue regeneration. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Hierarchically structured biocompatible materials for tissue engineering. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- Tissue-Engineered Blood Vessels with User-Defined Geometries. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 23 (pp S140-S140)
- Measuring continuous concentration of mass pollutants in the aquatic environment. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 251
- Nanodiamond stability with friction and heat. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 644 (pp 012022-012022)
- Patterning of Neurons on Diamond-like Carbon by Pulsed Laser Ablation. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S259-S260)
- Light-based Bioprinting of Native Silk. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S339-S339)
- Highly Porous Particles for Cell Recruitment and Delivery in Bone Tissue Engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S287-S288)
- Nerve Tissue Engineering using Blends of Polyhydroxyalkanoates for Peripheral Nerve Regeneration. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S325-S325)
- Developing a Degradable Polymer Scaffold for Vascular Graft Tissue Engineering using a Novel Photocurable Poly(glycerol Sebacate). TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S182-S182)
- 3D Printing and Plasma Coating of Nerve Guide Conduits (NGC). TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S359-S360)
- Development of a Three-Dimensional In Vitro Model to Study Neovascularization. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S325-S326)
- PERIPHERAL NERVE REGENERATION USING BLENDS OF POLYHYDROXYALKANOATES. JOURNAL OF THE PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, Vol. 20(2) (pp 185-185)
- Separating topographical and chemical analysis of nanostructure of polymer composite in low voltage SEM. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 644 (pp 012018-012018) View this article in WRRO
- Microfabrication of artificial stem cell microenvironments for tissue regeneration. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 8 (pp 175-176)
- Nerve guides from photocurable polymers for peripheral nerve repair. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 8 (pp 172-172)
- In vitro biocompatibility of a poly(high internal phase emulsion) biomaterial. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 8 (pp 452-453)
- Microfabricated niches for the culture of limbal epithelial cells. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE, Vol. 55(13)
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Vol. 6 (pp 1-429)
- Feasibility of 3D printing and stereolithography for fabrication of custom-shaped poly (lactic acid): hydroxyapatite composite biomaterial scaffolds. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, Vol. 6 (pp 367-367)
- Direct Laser Writing of Neural Tissue Engineering Scaffolds for Biohybrid Devices.. Living Machines, Vol. 7375 (pp 392-393)
- Direct laser writing of polylactide 3D scaffolds for neural tissue engineering applications. 2011 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics Europe and 12th European Quantum Electronics Conference (CLEO EUROPE/EQEC), 22 May 2011 - 26 May 2011.
- Laser patterning of Zn for ZnO nanostructure growth: Comparison between laser induced forward transfer in air and in vacuum. THIN SOLID FILMS, Vol. 515(24) (pp 8529-8533)
- Quantum chemical analysis of reaction paths in chorismate mutase: Conformational effects and electrostatic stabilization. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF QUANTUM CHEMISTRY, Vol. 107(12) (pp 2274-2285)
- A Theoretical Study of Ultra-Thin Films with the Wurtzite and Zinc Blende Structures. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 1035-L09-08(1035E)
- Thin films of wurtzite materials - AlN vs. AlP. JOURNAL OF CRYSTAL GROWTH, Vol. 294(1) (pp 111-117)
- Production of nanocrystalline diamond by laser ablation at the solid/liquid interface. DIAMOND AND RELATED MATERIALS, Vol. 13(4-8) (pp 661-665)
- Binary phosphorus-carbon compounds: The series P4C3+8n. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF QUANTUM CHEMISTRY, Vol. 95(4-5) (pp 546-553)
- 193-nm laser ablation of CVD diamond and graphite in vacuum: plume analysis and film properties. APPLIED PHYSICS A-MATERIALS SCIENCE & PROCESSING, Vol. 69 (pp S935-S939)
- Manufacturing of PolyHIPE-based Porous Microparticles for Bone Tissue Engineering. USES Conference Proceedings
- Differences in VEGFA isoform expression regulate modes of migration and their sensitivity to anti-VEGFA therapy. International Journal of Experimental Pathology, Vol. 100(4)
- Dataset of figures presented in "Angle selective backscattered electron contrast in the low-voltage scanning electron microscope: Simulation and experiment for polymers" in Ultramicroscopy.
- Dynamic Compartmentalisation of Intracellular Sodium in collecting duct cells, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- Research group
Dr Adam Glen (Neurimp-FP7)
Dr Jim Dugan (EPSRC)
Dr Richard Plenderleith (TSB)
Former group members
Dr Ilida Ortega (Lecturer in School of Clinical Dentistry, Sheffield)
Dr Ivana Barbaric (Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences, Sheffield)
Dr Andrew Gill (KTP Associate, Sheffield)
- Professional activities and memberships
I’ve had a few opportunities to highlight my work to a broader audience, and my work has been publicised on various different media websites, amongst them:
I have also been interviewed on live radio by BBC Sheffield during the evening drive-time program, and I have been interviewed together with my colleague Prof. J.W. Haycock by the BBC World News for their 'Horizon' programme.
- Member of the Materials Research Society
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Member of the scientific editorial board for ‘The Open Materials Science Journal’ (Bentham Science)