Dr Hajime Kinoshita
BEng MEng DEng FHEA
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Materials Chemistry
+44 114 222 5930
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Hajime specialises in thermodynamics of oxide materials for waste management. He has been extensively working on cement and mineral systems to manage wastes from variety of industries, from oil industry to nuclear industry as well as exhaust flue gas for CO2 capture.
Before joining Sheffield, he was involved in a research on molten salt at Department of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, and projects on actinide oxide ceramics at Department of Nuclear Engineering, Osaka University where he also completed his postgraduate studies.
Prior to coming to the UK, he had also conducted researches at Argonne National Laboratory and Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Research interests
Hajime's current research interests are in the development and application of industrial by-products and natural minerals for waste management. Recent examples of the projects include the use of NaOH for production of Mg(OH)2 from natural silicate minerals for sequestration of exhaust-CO2. This project achieved a successful reduction of the NaOH consumption by > 97 % (thus, using only < 3 %) compared with the existing US technology, having led to the filing of a patent.
This project was a finalist for the Best University Technology in the UK Energy Innovation Awards 2014.
He has also been developing new cement systems for immobilisation of problematic nuclear wastes such as Magnox sludge.
He has recently led the UK effort of a £750K UK-Japan collaboration to develop a new cementing technique for secondary radioactive wastes from Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. This project was awarded the very top “S” grade by the Nuclear Safety Research Association in Japan in 2019 for its achievement.
- Reaction mechanisms, kinetics, and nanostructural evolution of magnesium silicate hydrate (M-S-H) gels. Cement and Concrete Research, 174, 107295-107295.
- Getting behind experimental thermodynamics. Materials World(June 2023), 40-43.
- Effect of Impurities on the decarbonization of calcium carbonate using aqueous sodium hydroxide. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Decarbonising the lime industry : state-of-the-art. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 168. View this article in WRRO
- Decarbonisation of calcium carbonate in sodium hydroxide solutions under ambient conditions: effect of residence time and mixing rates. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. View this article in WRRO
- Ferritic calcium sulfoaluminate belite cement from metallurgical industry residues and phosphogypsum : clinker production, scale-up, and microstructural characterisation. Cement and Concrete Research, 154. View this article in WRRO
- Solidification and stabilization of strontium and chloride ions in thermally treated calcium aluminate cement modified with or without sodium polyphosphate. Cement and Concrete Research, 156.
- Modification of calcium aluminate cement with phosphate for incorporation of strontium chloride. Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 19(12), 1296-1308.
- Decarbonisation of calcium carbonate at atmospheric temperatures and pressures, with simultaneous CO2 capture, through production of sodium carbonate. Energy & Environmental Science. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of fluoride and iron content on the clinkering of alite-ye’elimite-ferrite (AYF) cement systems. Frontiers in Built Environment, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Producing cement clinker assemblages in the system : CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-SO3-CaCl2-MgO. Cement and Concrete Research, 144. View this article in WRRO
- Pyro processing cement kiln bypass dust : enhancing clinker phase formation. Construction and Building Materials, 259. View this article in WRRO
- Influence of mixing solution on characteristics of calcium aluminate cement modified with sodium polyphosphate. Cement and Concrete Research, 128. View this article in WRRO
- Production and properties of ferrite-rich CSAB cement from metallurgical industry residues. Science of The Total Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Strontium in Phosphate-Modified Calcium Aluminate Cement. Key Engineering Materials, 803, 341-345. View this article in WRRO
- Reduction of water content in calcium aluminate cement with/out phosphate modification for alternative cementation technique. Cement and Concrete Research, 109, 243-253. View this article in WRRO
- Phase Formation and Evolution in Mg(OH)2–Zeolite Cements. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57(6), 2105-2113. View this article in WRRO
- Experimental and thermodynamic assessment of the Ge-Nb-Si ternary phase diagram. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 717, 303-316. View this article in WRRO
- Gamma irradiation resistance of early age Ba(OH)2-Na2SO4-slag cementitious grouts. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 482, 266-277. View this article in WRRO
- Extraction of Mg(OH)2 from Mg silicate minerals with NaOH assisted with H2O: implications for CO2 capture from exhaust flue gas. Faraday Discussions, 183, 369-387. View this article in WRRO
- Gamma irradiation resistance of an early age slag-blended cement matrix for nuclear waste encapsulation. Journal of Materials Research, 30(9), 1563-1571. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of the hydrate gel phases present in phosphate-modified calcium aluminate binders. Cement and Concrete Research, 70, 21-28. View this article in WRRO
- Cementitious binders in the system Mg(OH)2–NaAlO2–SiO2–H2O. Advances in Applied Ceramics, 113(8), 496-501.
- Phosphate modification of calcium aluminate cement to enhance stability for immobilisation of metallic wastes. Advances in Applied Ceramics, 113(8), 453-459. View this article in WRRO
- Leaching behaviour of cementitious nuclear wasteforms containing caesium and strontium. Advances in Applied Ceramics, 113(8), 447-452. View this article in WRRO
- Characterisation of Ba(OH)2–Na2SO4–blast furnace slag cement-like composites for the immobilisation of sulfate bearing nuclear wastes. Cement and Concrete Research, 66, 64-74. View this article in WRRO
- Development of an electrical acceleration technique to evaluate leaching behavior from nuclear waste form, Life-Cycle of Structural Systems (pp. 1649-1654). CRC Press
Conference proceedings papers
- Use of recycled concrete materials from decommissioning for integrated nuclear waste management: challenges and opportunities. DEM 2021. Avignon, France, 13 September 2021 - 15 September 2021.
- On cement clinker assemblages containing alinite, calcium sulfoaluminate and calcium aluminates. LowC3 2020. University of Kentucky, Centre for Applied Energy Research, 5 October 2020 - 6 October 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Production of M-S-H cement using talc mine tailings as a source of magnesia. 4oth CCSC Sheffield
- View this article in WRRO The effect of sodium carbonate on the formation of magnesium silicate hydrate. 40th CCSC, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Continuous production of alinite in a laboratory-scale rotary kiln. 40th CCSC. Sheffield, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Interaction of Na2CO3 and Ca(OH)2 in aqueous system for mild activation of clay materials. 40th CCSC. Sheffield, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Acceleration of M-S-H gel formation through the addition of alkali carbonates. Proceedings of the 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement
- View this article in WRRO Interaction of strontium chloride solution with calcium aluminate phosphate (CAP) system. 39th Cement and Concrete Science Conference 2019 Proceedings (pp 135-137). Bath, UK, 9 September 2019 - 10 September 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Alternative raw materials for the production of calcium sulfoaluminate cement: ladle slag and phosphogypsum. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Innovation in Low-Carbon Cement & Concrete Technology. London, 24 June 2019 - 26 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO On the Sustainable Development of Cement. YRF-IV, 9 April 2018 - 9 April 2018.
- View this article in WRRO Molten salt synthesis of compounds related to cement. Concrete for the Modern Age: Developments in materials and processes (pp 286-297), 20 November 2017 - 22 November 2017.
- Prospects for manufacturing cement compounds in molten salt fluxed systems. 37th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 11 September 2017 - 12 September 2017.
- Heat treatment of phosphate-modified cementitious matrices for safe storage of secondary radioactive aqueous wastes in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. 2017 International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants, ICAPP 2017 - A New Paradigm in Nuclear Power Safety, Proceedings
2from Mg silicate minerals via solid state reaction with NaOH. 5th International Conference on Accelerated Carbonation for Environmental and Material Engineering 2015 (pp 214-221)
Alkali-based extraction of Mg(OH)
- Effect of hydrothermal condition on PC-BaSO4 system as a high density support matrix for deep borehole geological disposal of nuclear wastes. Young Researchers Forum II: Construction Materials. London, UK, 19 February 2014 - 19 February 2014.
- Research group
Dr Theodore Hanein
- Siti Rohaidah Yahaya
- Development of M-S-H cement from Mg(OH)2 for cementation of Magnox sludge
- Low temperature decarbonation of limestone for sustainable cement manufacturing (EPSRC and CEMEX, £425K, 2018-2021)
- Use of molten salt for sustainable cement production (CEMEX, £100K, 2017-2022)
- Development of Novel Alkaline Water Technology as a substitute for added sugar in soft drink (Innovate UK, £137K, 2016-2017)
- Development of solidification technique with reduced water content for aqueous secondary radioactive wastes in Fukushima (EPSRC and JST, £750K, 2015-2018)
- Professional activities and memberships
- Invited lecture, “UK-Japan collaboration: Development of solidification technique with minimised water content for safe storage and disposal of secondary radioactive aqueous wastes in Fukushima,” Joint Workshop of UK-Japan Civil Nuclear Research Program, Manchester, UK (10-11 December, 2019)
- Organising Committee; AToMS 2018, Annual Thermodynamics of Materials Seminar, Birmingham, UK (04 July 2019)
- Invited lecture, “Development of phosphate cement matrix with minimised water content for highly contaminated aqueous wastes,” International Symposium: Application of geopolymers for radioactive waste disposal, Sapporo, Japan (08 November 2018)
- Session chair; Fukushima Research Conference, International seminar for analysis of fuel debris and decommissioning technology of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Iwaki, Japan (18-20 September 2018)
- Organising Committee; AToMS 2018, Annual Thermodynamics of Materials Seminar, Sheffield, UK (26 June 2018)
- Invited lecture, “Development of solidification technique with minimised water content for secondary radioactive aqueous wastes in Fukushima,” British Embassy UK-Japan Workshop: Nuclear Joint Research Collaboration, Osaka, Japan (26-28 March 2018)
- Session chair; Atomic Energy Society of Japan Fall Meeting, Sapporo, Japan (13-15 September 2017)
- Invited lecture, “海外の大学に就職する方法とその心構え,” 社会基盤工学専攻 キャリアパス講演会 (Career Paths Lectures, Department of Civil and Earth Resources Engineering, Kyoto University), Kyoto, Japan (22 June 2017)
- Invited lecture, “Alternative cementation with minimised water content for secondary aqueous wastes in Fukushima,” Research Conference on Cementitious Composites in Decommissioning and waste Management (RCWM2017), Tomioka, Japan (20-21 June 2017)
- Invited lecture, “Development of low-pH cement and its application: a case study in Sheffield,” 福井大学附属国際原子力工学研究所 第93回 異分野横断セミナー (93rd Cross-disciplinary Seminar, Research Institute of Nuclear Engineering), Fukui, Japan (01 May 2017)
- Invited lecture, “Common problem in the UK legacy wastes and DIY?,” 第93回 異分野横断セミナー 福井大学附属国際原子力工学研究所(93rd Cross-disciplinary Seminar, Research Institute of Nuclear Engineering), Fukui, Japan (01 May 2017)
- Organising Committee; 1st Hume-Rothery Seminar on Phase Equilibria and Computational Materials Chemistry, Derby, UK (17-18 January 2017)
- Session chair; Atomic Energy Society of Japan Fall Meeting, Kurume, Japan (07-09 September 2016)
- Session chair; 4th International Workshop on Mechanisms and Modelling of Waste/Cement Interactions, Murten, Switzerland (22–25 May 2016)
- Invited lecture, “The effects of BaSO4 loading on OPC cementing system for encapsulation of BaSO4 scale from oil and gas industry,” 1st International Caparica Conference on Pollutant Toxic Ions and Molecules, Lisbon, Portugal (2-4 November 2015).
- Organising Committee; 34th Cement and Concrete Science, Sheffield, UK (14-16 September 2014)
- Session Chair: 2nd International Symposium on Cement-based Materials for Nuclear Wastes (NUWCEM), Avignon, France (02-06 June 2014)
- Media and public engagement
- Nuclear energy in Asia: discussion on the risks and benefits of the nuclear energy sector in Asia as well as Japan, Live interview, Between the Lines, Channel News Asia (15 October 2014).
- Japan Energy Policy: commentary on the Japanese government’s approval of a new Basic Energy Plan – the first policy of post Fukushima nuclear accident, Telephone interview, Channel News Asia (11 April 2014).
- Fukushima radioactive leak: commentary on the radioactive leak at the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan and its effects on the environment, Live interview, Prime Time Asia (29 August 2013).