Frequently asked questions

Studying away from home - and for some, overseas - is a major undertaking, both personally and financially. Our staff are on hand to help support you throughout the entire application process.

Question mark on a blackboard

Below are some common questions that our students frequently ask, but if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact our Postgraduate Taught Courses Team.

How much study time will I be allocated?

There are around 20 hours of lectures each week as well as tutorials, practicals and private study. Once lectures have finished, you will work exclusively on your research project.

Are there any exams?

Yes, there are exams. Some modules are assessed by examination only, some just by coursework, and others by a mixture of the two.

How will I be supported with my studies?

You will be allocated a personal tutor when you join our department. They will be your first point of contact for academic and pastoral support.  

Your course director and the Director of Postgraduate Taught Courses will be available to discuss aspects of your course as well as the Departmental Postgraduate Student Support Officer.

The University also offers extensive support for a range of issues.

Information about student support

Is funding available for my course?

University scholarships are available for Home and International students.

Information about funding

When can I apply?

You can apply for a course up to 12 months before the course starts.

There is no deadline to apply but you must make sure that you have enough time to meet any conditions of an offer plus arrange a visa (if an overseas student) and find somewhere to live in Sheffield.

Applying essentials

 Do I need ATAS?

For some of our courses, you will require ATAS. You will be sent information about the ATAS application via email from May.

How do I find somewhere to live?

As long as you meet certain conditions, all taught masters students are guaranteed a place in University-owned or managed accommodation.

Information about the accommodation guarantee 

The majority of University accommodation is in one of the UK's most affluent districts, with most of the buildings recently purpose-built. The student residences are within walking distance of campus, with places available in the city centre, just a short walk from lectures.

Sheffield also has an extensive range of private rented accommodation, offering alternative accommodation to the University properties.

More information about student accommodation

Will I be able to take a part-time job while studying?

The Careers and Employability Service runs the Employability & Placements Hub based in the Students’ Union. Here you’ll find a dedicated team of recruitment specialists with knowledge of the local area who can help you get started on finding part-time work in Sheffield both on and off-campus. We recommend that students on full-time courses work no more than 16 hours per week during term time, although many students like to work longer during vacation times. However, this is always dependent on whether or not you have the capacity to and whether you have any work restrictions such as visa limitations. 

Careers and Employability service

Information for students on a Student or Tier 4 Visa

How long does my course last?

All our MSc courses last for a full year, from September to September.

A world-class university – a unique student experience

Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.