Professor W Mark Rainforth
BMet, PhD, FIMMM, CEng, FInstP, CPhys, FRMS, FREng
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5469
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Address: Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building, Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
After obtaining a 1st Class Honours degree from the University of Sheffield, Mark Rainforth initially followed an industrial career. He later joined the Department from the University of Leeds in 1989 and rapidly established state-of-the-art facilities in electron microscopy and tribology. He is co-author of the book Ceramic Microstructures' with W E Lee, a winner of the Rosenhain Medal of the IoM3 and has recently finished his term as President of the Royal Microscopical Society.
His research centres on the high resolution characterisation of microstructures, in particular interfaces and surfaces. His research programmes are broadly based and cover metals, ceramics and coatings:
Professional activities and recognition
- A. Nogiwa Valdez, W.M. Rainforth, P. Zeng, I.M. Ross, “Deceleration of hydrothermal degradation of 3Y-TZP by alumina and lanthana co-doping”, Acta Biomaterialia, 9 (2013) 6226-6235.
- P. Zeng, B. Inkson, W. M. Rainforth, “Characterisation of the damage accumulation mechanisms during in-vitro testing of alumina on alumina hip prosthetics”, Acta Materialia, 60(1) (2012) 2061–2072
- W.M. Rainforth, P. Zeng, L. Ma, A. Nogiwa Valdez and T. Stewart, “Dynamic surface microstructural changes during tribological contact that determine the wear behaviour of hip prostheses; metals and ceramics”, Faraday Discussions; Proceedings of the Royal Society of Chemistry, 156 (2012), 41–57.
- L. Ma, WM Rainforth, The effect of lubrication on the friction and wear of Biolox® delta, Acta Biomaterialia, 8 (2012) 2348–2359.
- P. Zeng, W. M. Rainforth, B. Inkson, T.D. Stewart, “Characterization of worn alumina hip replacement prostheses” Journal Biomedical Materials Research-Part B, Applied Biomaterials 100(1) (2012) 121-132
- M.M.Z. Ahmed, B.P. Wynne, W.M. Rainforth, P.l. Threadgill, “Through-thickness crystallographic texture of stationary shoulder friction stir welded aluminium” Scripta Materialia, 64(1) (2011) 45-48
- Z. Zhou, W.M. Rainforth, M. H. Gass, A. Bleloch, A.P. Ehiassarian, & P.E. Hovsepian, C/CrC nanocomposite coating deposited by magnetron sputtering at high ion irradiation conditions. J Appl Phys, 110(7) (2011) 073301
- C Rodenburg, X Liu, MAE Jepson, Z Zhou, WM Rainforth & JM Rodenburg, Ultramicroscopy, 110(9) (2010) 1178-1184.
- Z. Zhou, W.M. Rainforth, Q. Luo, P.Eh. Hovsepian, J. J. Ojeda, M. E. Romero-Gonzalez, “Wear and friction of TiAlN/VN coatings against Al2O3 in air at room and elevated temperatures”, Acta Materialia, 58 (2010) 2912-2925.
- J. Rodriguez, A. Rico, E. Otero, W.M. Rainforth “Indentation Properties of Plasma Sprayed Al2O3–13% TiO2 Nanocoatings”, Acta Materialia 57 (2009) 3148–3156.
- M. Krzyzanowski, W.M. Rainforth, “Application of Combined Discrete/Finite Element Multiscale Method for Modelling of Mg Redistribution During Hot Rolling of Aluminium” Computer Methods in Materials Science, 9 (2009) 271-276.
- Z. Zhou, W.M. Rainforth, U. Falke, M. Falke, A. Bleloch & P. Hovsepian, On the structure and composition of nanoscale TiAlN/VN multilayers, Phil. Mag. A., 87(2), (2007), 967-978.
- C. Rodenburg and W.M. Rainforth, A quantitative analysis of the influence of carbides size distributions on wear behaviour of high speed steel in dry rolling/sliding contact, Acta Materialia, 55(7), (2007), 2443-2454.
- G. Angella, B.P. Wynne, W.M. Rainforth and J.H. Beynon, Microstructure Evolution of AISI 316L in Torsion at High Temperature, Acta Materialia, 53, (2005), 1263-1275.
- W.M. Rainforth, Recent Developments in the Microscopy of Ceramics, Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics, Ed. P. W. Hawkes, Vol. 132, (2004), 167-246.
- W.M. Rainforth, M.P. Black, R.L. Higginson, E.J. Palmiere, C.M. Sellars, I. Pabst, P. Warbichler and F. Hofer, Precipitation of NbC in a Model Austenitic Steel Acta Materialia, 50, (2002), 735-747.
- O. Barceinas-Sanchez and W.M. Rainforth, On the Role of Plastic Deformation During the Mild Wear of Alumina, Acta Materialia, 46, (1998), 6475-6483.