Dr Kevin Hughes
Department of Mechanical Engineering
+44 114 21 57214
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Kevin Hughes is a Senior Lecturer in the Energy Engineering Group in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He has a first degree in Chemistry from the University of Leicester and was awarded his PhD from the same university in 1987. Kevin’s research is in the general area of fuel combustion, fuel cells, and process modelling in carbon capture and storage systems.
- Research interests
Dr Hughes’s research covers a range of topics related to fuel combustion, fuel degradation and deposit formation, pollutant chemistry, proton exchange membrane fuel cells, and process modelling in carbon capture and storage systems.
In the area of combustion, degradation, and pollutant chemistry, the approach is a combination of experimental and theoretical investigation; for example the elucidation of a simple laminar flame structure by a combination of conventional species sampling techniques allied to laser diagnostic probing of the flame structure using the technique of planar laser induced fluorescence.
This provides data that allows for the validation of detailed chemical kinetic reaction mechanisms.
These mechanisms are constructed by a variety of means ranging from experimental measurements of individual reaction rates, crude estimation by analogy, group additivity based methods, detailed theoretical calculation using quantum chemistry methods, and the application of master equation models to calculated potential energy surfaces.
Insight is further gained by the application of sensitivity analysis methods to both allow the simplification of detailed mechanisms, and to highlight those regions of particular importance for the phenomena of interest.
In the area of proton exchange membrane fuel cells, the focus is on the CFD modelling and the experimental testing of small scale devices, and the systematic investigation of their performance as a function of operating conditions and the properties of the individual fuel cell components such as electrical conductivity and gas permeability.
This is complemented by an experimental and theoretical investigation of novel catalysts, using quantum chemistry methods to predict behaviour, along with catalyst synthesis, physical and electrochemical characterization, and finally testing in real fuel cell systems.
Carbon capture and storage related research is focused on novel operating procedures related to gas turbines linked to solvent capture plants, with the aim of optimizing the overall system performance, and understanding the chemistry of solvent degradation and emissions.
- Initial techno-economic screening of BECCS technologies in power generation for a range of biomass feedstock. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 40, 100743-100743.
- A new non-ideal second order thermal model with additional loss effects for simulating beta Stirling engines. Energy Conversion and Management, 206. View this article in WRRO
- Renewable energy production and demand dataset for the energy system of Colombia. Data in Brief, 28. View this article in WRRO
- Gas permeability, wettability and morphology of gas diffusion layers before and after performing a realistic ex-situ compression test. Renewable Energy, 151, 1082-1091.
- Large scale integration of renewable energy sources (RES) in the future Colombian energy system. Energy, 186. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamic economic and emission dispatch model considering wind power under Energy Market Reform: A case study. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 110, 184-196. View this article in WRRO
- Methane production via syngas fermentation within the bio-CCS concept: A techno-economic assessment. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 150, 107290-107290.
- Effects of hydrogen relative humidity on the performance of an air-breathing PEM fuel cell : a numerical study. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamics of liquid water in the anode flow channels of PEM fuel cells: a numerical parametric study. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Predicting Speciation of Ammonia, Monoethanolamine, and Diethanolamine Using Only Ionic Radius and Ionic Charge. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 57(6), 2346-2352. View this article in WRRO
- Simultaneous thermal and visual imaging of liquid water of the PEM fuel cell flow channels. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Kinetic parameters of the intrinsic reactivity of woody biomass and coal chars via thermogravimetric analysis. Fuel, 210, 811-825. View this article in WRRO
- On the gas permeability of the microporous layer used in polymer electrolyte fuel cells. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Combined economic and emission dispatch considering conventional and wind power generating units. International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems. View this article in WRRO
- Simultaneous direct visualisation of liquid water in the cathode and anode serpentine flow channels of proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Temperature Dependence of the Parameters in the Pitzer Equations. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 62(7), 2000-2013. View this article in WRRO
- Estimation of the Thermochemical Radii and Ionic Volumes of Complex Ions. Inorganic Chemistry, 56(13), 7566-7573. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of CO2 dilution on the structure and emissions from turbulent, non-premixed methane–air jet flames. Journal of the Energy Institute, 90(2), 191-200.
- Effects of catalyst agglomerate shape in polymer electrolyte fuel cells investigated by a multi-scale modelling framework. Energy, 122, 420-430. View this article in WRRO
- Through-plane gas permeability of gas diffusion layers and microporous layer: Effects of carbon loading and sintering. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Numerical study of a wake-stabilized propane flame in a cross-flow of air. Journal of the Energy Institute, 90(1), 145-158.
- Effect of the CO2 enhancement on the performance of a micro gas turbine with a pilot-scale CO2 capture plant. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 117, 11-23. View this article in WRRO
- The effects of the composition of microporous layers on the permeability of gas diffusion layers used in polymer electrolyte fuel cells. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41(46), 21345-21351. View this article in WRRO
- An investigation of methane and propane vertical flares. Journal of the Energy Institute, 89(4), 793-806.
- Performance evaluation and optimisation of post combustion CO2 capture processes for natural gas applications at pilot scale via a verified rate-based model. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 53, 243-253. View this article in WRRO
- Identifying the Catalytic Active Sites in Heteroatom-Doped Graphene for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction. Fuel Cells.
- Estimation of the Pitzer Parameters for 1–1, 2–1, 3–1, 4–1, and 2–2 Single Electrolytes at 25 °C. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 61(7), 2536-2554. View this article in WRRO
- Techno-economic process design of a commercial-scale amine-based CO2 capture system for natural gas combined cycle power plant with exhaust gas recirculation. Applied Thermal Engineering, 103, 747-758. View this article in WRRO
- The effects of shape on the performance of cathode catalyst agglomerates in polymer electrolyte fuel cells: A micro-scale FEM study. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 26(3/4), 1145-1156. View this article in WRRO
- Developing an optimal electricity generation mix for the UK 2050 future. Energy, 100, 363-373.
- Performance viability of a natural gas fired combined cycle power plant integrated with post-combustion CO 2 capture at part-load and temporary non-capture operations. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 39, 397-406.
- Effective diffusivity of polymer electrolyte fuel cell gas diffusion layers: An overview and numerical study. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40(34), 10994-11010.
- The Impact of the “Shale Gas Revolution” on the United Kingdom Electricity Generation Outlook. The International Journal of Environmental Sustainability, 11(4), 1-20.
- Impact of the operating conditions and position of exhaust gas recirculation on the performance of a micro gas turbine, 2417-2422.
- The through-plane thermal conductivity and the contact resistance of the components of the membrane electrode assembly and gas diffusion layer in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources, 270, 59-67.
- An efficient mathematical model for air-breathing PEM fuel cells. Applied Energy, 135, 490-503.
- DFT study of the oxygen reduction reaction on iron, cobalt and manganese macrocycle active sites. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39(36), 21538-21546.
- A Theoretical Study of Molecular Oxygen Chemisorption on N, B, or O Doped Carbon Edge Sites. Fuel Cells, 14(5), 709-719.
- Optimal Process Design of Commercial-Scale Amine-Based CO2 Capture Plants. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(38), 14815-14829. View this article in WRRO
- A Semi-Empirical Model for Estimating the Heat Capacity of Aqueous Solutions of Alkanolamines for CO2 Capture. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(19), 8291-8301.
- Evaluation of performance and cost of combustion-based power plants with CO2capture in the United Kingdom. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, n/a-n/a.
- Initiation and propagation of combustion waves with competitive reactions and water evaporation. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 469(2160), 20130506-20130506.
- Thermal modelling of the cathode in air-breathing PEM fuel cells. Applied Energy, 111, 529-537.
- Effect of PTFE loading of gas diffusion layers on the performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cells running at high-efficiency operating conditions. International Journal of Energy Research, 37(13), 1592-1599.
- Effect of the anisotropic thermal conductivity of GDL on the performance of PEM fuel cells. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38(1), 603-611.
- Effect of inhibitors on biogas laminar burning velocity and flammability limits in spark ignited premix combustion. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 5(6), 4980-4987.
- The in-plane thermal conductivity and the contact resistance of the components of the membrane electrode assembly in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources, 241, 136-145.
- Effects of anisotropic permeability and electrical conductivity of gas diffusion layers on the performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Applied Energy, 95, 50-63.
- Laminar burning characteristics of biogas-air mixtures in spark ignited premix combustion. Journal of Applied Sciences Research, 8(8), 4126-4132.
- Experimental and Modeling Studies of the Oxidation of Surrogate Bio-Aviation Fuels. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 134(4).
- EXPERIMENTAL AND MODELLING STUDIES OF THE OXIDATION OF SURROGATE BIO-AVIATION FUELS. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME TURBO EXPO 2011, VOL 1, 613-626.
- On the through-plane permeability of microporous layer-coated gas diffusion layers used in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36(16).
- Process Modelling of Entrained Flow Gasification. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 29, 1763-1767.
- Experimental and Modelling Studies of the Oxidation of Surrogate Bio-Aviation Fuels. Volume 1: Aircraft Engine; Ceramics; Coal, Biomass and Alternative Fuels; Wind Turbine Technology.
- Modified enthalpies of formation for hydrocarbons from DFT and ab initio thermal energies. Computational and Theoretical Chemistry, 964(1-3), 100-107.
- Mercury Transformation Modelling with Bromine Addition in Coal Derived Flue Gases, 171-175.
- Application of Ab Initio Quantum Mechanical Calculations to Investigate Oxidation of C-7 and C-14 Methyl Esters: An Alternative Fuel. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 133(1).
- Mercury speciation in air-coal and oxy-coal combustion: A modelling approach. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33(2), 1779-1786.
- Development of a chemical reaction mechanism for alternative aviation fuels. Energy & Fuels.
- Through-Plane Permeability for Untreated and PTFE-Treated Gas Diffusion Layers in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells. Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 7(5).
- A global sensitivity study of cyclohexane oxidation under low temperature fuel-rich conditions using HDMR methods. Combustion Theory and Modelling, 13(4), 589-605.
- The application of the QSSA via reaction lumping for the reduction of complex hydrocarbon oxidation mechanisms. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 32(1), 543-551.
- H Atom Yields from the Reactions of CN Radicals with C2H2, C2H4, C3H6,trans-2-C4H8, andiso-C4H8†. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 111(29), 6679-6692.
- OH CONCENTRATION MEASUREMENTS IN A JET ENGINE EXHAUST. Clean Air: International Journal on Energy for a Clean Environment, 8(4), 305-320.
- Significance of the HO2+CO reaction during the combustion of CO+H2 mixtures at high pressures. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31(1), 419-427.
- Combined Experimental and Master Equation Investigation of the Multiwell Reaction H + SO2†. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 110(9), 2996-3009.
- Particle emissions from aircraft engines a survey of the European project PartEmis. Meteorologische Zeitschrift, 14(4), 465-476.
- H Atom Branching Ratios from the Reactions of CH with C2H2, C2H4, C2H6, andneo-C5H12at Room Temperature and 25 Torr. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 107(30), 5710-5716.
- Determination of the High-Pressure Limiting Rate Coefficient and the Enthalpy of Reaction for OH + SO2. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 107(12), 1971-1978.
- Development and testing of a comprehensive chemical mechanism for the oxidation of methane. International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 33(9), 513-538.
- An investigation of important gas-phase reactions of nitrogenous species from the simulation of experimental measurements in combustion systems. Combustion and Flame, 124(4), 573-589.
- Experimental and modelling study of sulfur and nitrogen doped premixed methane flames at low pressure. Faraday Discussions, 119(1), 337-352.
- Studies of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent-spray flames. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 71(488), 137-144.
- Experimental and kinetic studies on the effect of sulfur-nitrogen interactions on no formation in flames. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 27(1), 1419-1426.
- A kinetic and mechanistic study of the reaction of neopentylperoxy radicals with hydroperoxy radical. The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 96(17), 7043-7048.
- Direct Measurement of the Rate Constant for CH3 + OH Recombination at 290 K. Berichte der Bunsengesellschaft für physikalische Chemie, 96(10), 1352-1359.
- Direct measurements of the peroxy—hydroperoxy radical isomerisation, a key step in hydrocarbon combustion. Chemical Physics Letters, 191(6), 581-586.
- Direct measurements of the neopentyl peroxy-hydroperoxy radical isomerisation over the temperature range 660–750 K. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 24(1), 645-652.
- Oscillatory ignitions and cool flames in the oxidation of butane in a jet-stirred reactor. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A: Physical and Engineering Sciences, 337(1646), 211-221.
- ChemInform Abstract: The Kinetics of Elementary Reactions of Importance in Combustion and Pyrolysis. ChemInform, 21(25).
- A simple technique for gas kinetic studies in organosilicon chemistry. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 347(1-2), 17-25.
- Chapter 5. The kinetics of elementary reactions of importance in combustion and pyrolysis. Annual Reports Section "C" (Physical Chemistry), 85, 91-91.
- Kinetics of pyrolysis of some alkenylsilanes. Organometallics, 6(3), 646-650.
- Kinetics of the formation of silylenes from some disilanes. Organometallics, 6(3), 639-643.
- Kinetics of radical-forming homolyses in alkenyl- and tert-butylsilanes. The stability of .alpha.- and .beta.-silicon-substituted alkyl radicals. Organometallics, 6(3), 644-646.
- Gas-phase ion chemistry of dimethylsilylene. Organometallics, 5(10), 2054-2057.
- Gas-phase ion chemistry of dimethylsilene. Organometallics, 5(10), 2050-2054.
- Pyrolytic, kinetic, and theoretical studies on the isomerization of Me2HSiCH2.bul. to Me3Si.bul.. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 108(14), 4022-4026.
- Some mechanistic suggestions for silylene to silylene interconversions. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 272(1), 11-18.
- Evaluation of models for the low temperature combustion of alkanes through interpretation of pressure–temperature ignition diagrams. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 8(27), 3197-3210.
- Techno‐economic assessment on the fuel flexibility of a commercial scale combined cycle gas turbine integrated with a CO2 capture plant. International Journal of Energy Research. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- The influence of CO2 in biogas flammability limit and laminar burning velocity in spark ignited premix combustion at various pressures. SUSTAINABLE ENERGY AND ADVANCED MATERIALS : Proceeding of the 4th International Conference and Exhib
- Modelling Investigation into Mercury Oxidation under Oxyfuel Conditions. 18th International IFRF Member Conference - Flexible and Clean Fuel Conversion in Industry, 1 June 2015 - 3 June 2015.
- The effects of the composition of microporous layers on the permeability of gas diffusion layers. Proceedings of the 6th European Fuel Cell - Piero Lunghi Conference, EFC 2015 (pp 275-276)
- Thermodynamic Analysis and Process System Comparison of the Exhaust Gas Recirculated, Steam Injected and Humidified Micro Gas Turbine. Volume 3: Coal, Biomass and Alternative Fuels; Cycle Innovations; Electric Power; Industrial and Cogeneration, 15 June 2015 - 19 June 2015.
- Experimental and Process Modelling Study of Integration of a Micro-turbine with an Amine Plant. Energy Procedia, Vol. 63 (pp 1064-1073)
- Process Simulation and Thermodynamic Analysis of a Micro Turbine with Post-combustion CO2 Capture and Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Energy Procedia, Vol. 63 (pp 986-996)
- Theoretical study of the ORR mechanism on iron, cobalt and manganese macrocycle active sites. EFC 2013 - Proceedings of the 5th European Fuel Cell Piero Lunghi Conference (pp 369-370)
- The through-plane thermal conductivity and the contact resistance of the components of the membrane electrode assembly in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. EFC 2013 - Proceedings of the 5th European Fuel Cell Piero Lunghi Conference (pp 113-114)
- Biogas Laminar Burning Velocity and Flammability Characteristics in Spark Ignited Premix Combustion. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 423 (pp 012015-012015)
- Experimental and modelling studies of the combustion of alternative aviation fuels. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 176-189)
- Experimental and theoretical investigation of pathways to deposit formation in thermally stressed aviation fuel in the presence of nitrogenous additives. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 230-240)
- The effect of anisotropic GDL on the performance of PEM fuel cell. EFC 2011 - Proceedings of the 4th European Fuel Cell Piero Lunghi Conference and Exhibition (pp 407-408)
- Application of Ab Initio Quantum Mechanical Calculations to Investigate Oxidation of C-7 and C-14 Methyl Esters: An Alternative Fuel. Volume 3: Combustion Science and Engineering, 13 November 2009 - 19 November 2009.
- Through-Plane Permeability for Untreated and PTFE-Treated Gas Diffusion Layers in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells. ASME 2009 7th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology, 8 June 2009 - 10 June 2009.
- Development of a High Temperature Oxidation Mechanism for Bio-Aviation Fuels. Volume 3: Combustion Science and Engineering, 31 October 2008 - 6 November 2008.
- Investigation Into Bio-Aviation Reaction Mechanisms Using Quantum Mechanical Methods. Volume 3: Combustion Science and Engineering
- Fitness Diversity Based Adaptive Memetic Algorithm for solving inverse problems of chemical kinetics. 2007 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 25 September 2007 - 28 September 2007.
- Use of detailed kinetic mechanisms for the prediction of autoignitions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 19(2-3) (pp 227-232)
- Automatic generation of reduced reaction mechanisms for hydrocarbon oxidation with application to autoignition boundary prediction for explosion hazards mitigation (pp 383-388)
- Cool flames in space: experimental and numerical studies of propane combustion. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 30(1) (pp 1057-1064)
- The role and rate of hydrogen peroxide decomposition during hydrocarbon two-stage autoignition. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 30(1) (pp 1083-1091)
- Cool flames in space: Experimental and numerical studies of propane combustion. International Symposium on Combustion, Abstracts of Accepted Papers (pp 27)
- The role and rate of hydrogen peroxide decomposition during hydrocarbon two-stage autoignition. International Symposium on Combustion, Abstracts of Accepted Papers (pp 63)
- A master equation model for the determination of rate coefficients in the H+SO2 system. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 29(2) (pp 2431-2437)
- A unified approach to the reduced kinetic modeling of alkane combustion. Combustion and Flame, Vol. 99(3-4) (pp 533-540)
Reactions of hydroxyl radicals with selected hydrocarbons of importance in atmospheric chemistry. Optical Methods in Atmospheric Chemistry
- Laminar Burning Velocity and Flammability Characteristics of Biogas in Spark Ignited Premix Combustion at Reduced Pressure. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 376 (pp 79-85)
- Sensitivity analysis of post-combustion CO2 capture at pilot scale level. 3rd Post Combustion Capture Conference (PCCC3). Regina, 8 September 2015 - 11 September 2015.
- Reliable and Efficient Combustion of Oxygen/Coal/Recycled Flue Gas Mixtures (RELCOM) FP7-ENERGY-2010-2
- Gas-FACTS: Gas - Future Advanced Capture Technology Options EP/J020788/1
- Selective Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Carbon Capture with Gas Turbines: Integration, Intensification, Scale-up and Optimisation. EP/M001482/1
- Techno-Economic Assessment of Biomass Pre-Processing (TEABPP) – Energy Technology Institute
- Integrated anaerobic digestion and gasification systems for sustainable farming in Colombia - British Council