Dr Bill Nimmo
PhD, FEI, C.Eng
Reader in Energy (Energy 2050)
Director of PGR Studies
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Arts Tower, level 1
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 21 57213
Bill is a Reader in the Energy Engineering Group in the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Sheffield and is part of the team developing academic and industrial projects for the Energy 2050 initiative. Bill’s background is in chemical and combustion engineering having gained his PhD in Fluidized Bed Waste Gasification Processes at Leeds University in the mid 1980’s. A period in industry followed, working on full scale coal gasifier development (350 tpd) for British Gas, Westfield Development Centre, Scotland, as part of the British Gas SNG programme in partnership with Lurgi GmbH. Projects involved the study of fuel bed behavior at full scale and process development for operation with caking and difficult coals. Other projects involved commissioning and operation of pilot plant associated with gas cleanup and upgrading to substitute natural gas using real syn-gas from the full scale plant.
Returning to Leeds, Bill pursued a number of research projects related to coal, gas and oil combustion and gasification as a Senior Research Fellow with particular emphasis on NOx, and SOx emission control in partnership with major UK power generation companies. Recently, Bill’s research activities have been closely related to the development of the UK national UKCCSRC PACT facilities focused on carbon capture processes and in particular to pilot scale oxy-fuel combustion projects. Additionally, significant research activity has been developed in the areas of fluidized-bed biomass combustion, corrosion associated with biomass and oxy-fuel combustion and small scale anaerobic digestion systems for both urban and rural locations in developing countries. He was appointed Associate Professor and since 2009, he has contributed to research projects with a total value in excess of £7m as principal or co-investigator.
Bill was appointed to Reader at the University of Sheffield in February 2015 and has since attracted new funding with a value of £1M (£3.1M total) with 7 active research grants in the areas of ultra supercritical fluidised bed combustion, anaerobic digestion, energy from waste and knowledge economy partnership (KEP) funded by EPSRC, Innovate UK/EPSRC/BBSRC, Royal Academy of Engineering and the British Council. Bill’s other funded activities are in the areas of pulverised coal/biomass oxy fuel combustion and corrosion studies related to future advanced power generation developments. He has published 115 papers including 64 refereed journal articles, 2 book chapters and 1 patent.
As Director of PGR Studies, Bill is a member of several Departmental and Faculty committees. Externally, bill is an active Member of the Fuel and Energy Research Forum, Exec. Committee, Chair of the Environ. Division; Member of the Energy Institute Yorkshire branch committee; Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College and is an Associate Editor of the Elsevier journal FUEL.
Bill’s teaching activities have been closely related to his research activity and has lectured in the areas of combustion theory and design, biomass energy, CCS plant design and conventional power. A particularly rewarding and enjoyable part of Bill’s activity is the supervision and development of the research students and early career researchers working on projects within the Energy 2050 Group.
Areas of Research
Waste to Energy
Research Grants & Awards
As PI or Co-I
2017-2019 British Council, Researcher Links UK-PK, PI, £29k.
2016 - 2020 Industrial grant, Sembcorp Utilities, Fluidised Bed Combustion – student support, PI, £25k
2016 – 2017 IIKE, Research Partnership support grant, PI, £19K.
2015 - 2019 EPSRC/Innovate UK, EP/M028208/1, IB CAT Biomethanation of CO2 in anaerobic digestion plant, Co-I, £1.85M
2016-2018 Royal Academy of Engineering (Newton), Waste to Energy,- Investigation of municipal solid waste blending effect on reactivity of coals in circulating fluidized bed combustion and gasification processes PI, £50k.
2015 – 2018 EPSRC EP/M01536X/1 Ultra-Supercritical (USC) steam power generation technology with Circulating Fluidized Bed (CFB): Combustion, Materials and Modelling (USC-CFB-CMM), Co-I, £1.1M
2015 - 2018 KEP British Council/Pakistan, PI, £60k
2009 - 2016 Industrial grant/KTP, PI, £467k
2014-2017 UKCCSRC – C2 Investigating the radiative heat flux in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces for CFD model development and system scale up, Co-I, £198,000
2012-2017 UKCCSRC-C1-27, Experimental investigation and CFD modelling of oxy-coal combustion on PACT facility with real flue gas and vent gas recycling PI, £167k
2014-2017 UKCCSRC – C2 Investigating the radiative heat flux in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces for CFD model development and system scale up, Co-I, £198,000
2012-2017 UKCCSRC - The United Kingdom Carbon Capture and Storage Research Centre, DECC/EPSRC, Co-I, £10.1M
2012-2014 TSB/KTP008393 (TSB) Knowledge Transfer Partnership, KTP, PI, £137k
2011-2015 British council, INSPIRE, British Council 254, PI, £60k
2011-2015 DECC/EPSRC, EP/G062153/1, oxy CAP, Co-I, £1.7M
2011-2015 EPSRC EP/G063451/1, In-depth Studies of OxyCoal Combustion Processes through Numerical Modelling and 3D Flame Imaging, Oxy China Co-I, £490k
2010-2015 EPSRC EP/J000345/1, Development and Integration of Biomass and Concentrating Photovoltaic System for Rural and Urban Energy Bridge: BioCPV, Co-I, £1.4M
Prior engagement in preparation of EPSRC grants as researcher co-investigator/contributor
2006-2009 EPSRC EP/D502020/1 Title: A Novel Application of Waste Tyres & plastics as Reburn Fuels for NOx Reduction in Large Scale Combustion Systems , (Researcher Co-I), £293,057
2002-2005 EPSRC, GR/R46120/01 Advanced Methodologies for Simultaneous NOx/SOx Control form Combustion Sources , (Named Researcher), £194,281
2001-2004 EPSRC, GR/R15641/01 A Novel Sorbent For Multi-Component Removal of Mercury-Hci-So2-Nox From Waste Incineration Flue Gases, (Named Researcher) , £221.070.
1999-2002 EPSRC, GR/M12001/01 High Capacity Spray Pyrolysis Route For The Production Of Sub-Micron Pzt Powders For Thick-Film Applications (Named Researcher), £210,232.
- al-Qayim K, Nimmo W, hughes K & pourkashanian M (2017) Kinetic parameters of the intrinsic combustion reactivity of woody biomass and coal chars via thermogravimetric analysis. Fuel. View this article in WRRO
- Bai X, Lu G, Hossain MM, Szuhanszki J, Daood SS, Nimmo W, Yan Y & Pourkashanian M (2017) Multi-mode combustion process monitoring on a pulverised fuel combustion test facility based on flame imaging and random weight network techniques. Fuel, 202, 656-664. View this article in WRRO
- daood SS, Yelland T & Nimmo W (2017) Selective non-catalytic reduction – Fe-based additive hybrid technology. Fuel, 208, 353-362. View this article in WRRO
- Daood SS, Ottolini M, Lu G, Taylor S, Ogunyinka O, Hossain MM, Yan Y & Nimmo W (2017) Pollutant and Corrosion Control Technology and Efficient Coal Combustion. Energy & Fuels, 31(5), 5581-5596. View this article in WRRO
- Walker M, Theaker H, Yaman R, Poggio D, Nimmo W, Bywater A, Blanch G & Pourkashanian M (2017) Assessment of micro-scale anaerobic digestion for management of urban organic waste: A case study in London, UK.. Waste Management. View this article in WRRO
- Rehman S, Shah AN, Mughal HU, Javed MT, Akram M, Chilton S & Nimmo W (2016) Geology and combustion perspectives of Pakistani coals from Salt Range and Trans Indus Range. International Journal of Coal Geology, 168, 202-213. View this article in WRRO
- Poggio D, Walker M, Nimmo W, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2016) Modelling the anaerobic digestion of solid organic waste – Substrate characterisation method for ADM1 using a combined biochemical and kinetic parameter estimation approach. Waste Management, 53, 40-54. View this article in WRRO
- Owhondah R, Walker M, Ma L, Nimmo W, Poggio D & Pourkashanian M (2016) Assessment and parameter identification of simplified models to describe the kinetics of semi-continuous biomethane production from anaerobic digestion of green and food waste. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 39(6), 977-992. View this article in WRRO
- Xing P, Mason PE, Chilton S, Lloyd S, Jones JM, Williams A, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2016) A comparative assessment of biomass ash preparation methods using X-ray fluorescence and wet chemical analysis. Fuel, 182, 161-165. View this article in WRRO
- Belhadj E, Chilton S, Nimmo W, Roth H & Pourkashanian M (2016) Numerical simulation and experimental validation of the hydrodynamics in a 350 kW bubbling fluidized bed combustor. International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Al-Qayim K, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2015) Comparative Techno-economic assessment of biomass and coal with CCS technologies in a pulverized combustion power plant in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 43, 82-92. View this article in WRRO
- Rizvi A, Daood S, Javed T, Munir S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2015) Reactivity Analysis of Pakistani Thar Lignite Reserves in oxidizing Thermogravimetric Analysis Atmospheres. Energy and Fuels, 29(8), 5349-5360. View this article in WRRO
- El-Samadony YAF, Gibbs BM & Nimmo W (2015) Simulation of the calcium chloride aqueous salt solution spray regeneration process. Atomization and Sprays, 25(7), 571-586. View this article in WRRO
- Ullah A, Hong K, Wang W, Chilton S & Nimmo W (2015) Bubble-based EMMS mixture model applied to turbulent fluidization. Powder Technology, 281, 129-137. View this article in WRRO
- rizvi T, pourkashanian M, jones J, darvell L, xing P & Nimmo W (2015) Prediction of biomass ash fusion behaviour by the use of detailed characterization methods coupled with thermodynamic analysis.. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy. View this article in WRRO
- Castellanos JG, Walker M, Poggio D, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2015) Modelling an off-grid integrated renewable energy system for rural electrification in India using photovoltaics and anaerobic digestion. Renewable Energy, 74, 390-398. View this article in WRRO
- Clements A, Black S, Szuhánszki J, Stęchły K, Pranzitell A, Nimmo W & pourkashanian (2015) LES and RANS of air and oxy-coal combustion in a pilot-scale facility: Predictions of radiative heat transfer. Fuel, 151, 146-151. View this article in WRRO
- Pickard S, Daood S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2014) Co-firing coal with biomass in oxygen- and carbon dioxide-enriched atmospheres for CCS applications. Fuel, 137, 185-192.
- Pickard S, Daood SS, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2014) Reactivity during bench-scale combustion of biomass fuels for carbon capture and storage applications. Fuel, 134, 171-179.
- Daood SS, Ord G, Wilkinson T & Nimmo W (2014) Fuel additive technology – NOx reduction, combustion efficiency and fly ash improvement for coal fired power stations. Fuel, 134, 293-306. View this article in WRRO
- Rizvi T, nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2014) Corrosion in oxyfuel environments and the effect of coal and biomass ash deposits.. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy.
- Daood SS, Javed MT, Rizvi AH & Nimmo W (2014) Combustion of Pakistani Lignite (Thar Coal) in a Pilot-Scale Pulverized Fuel Down-Fired Combustion Test Facility. ENERGY & FUELS, 28(2), 1541-1547.
- Daood SS, Ord G, Wilkinson T & Nimmo W (2014) Investigation of the Influence of Metallic Fuel Improvers on Coal Combustion/Pyrolysis. Energy & Fuels, 28(2), 1515-1523.
- Singh S, Nimmo W & Williams PT (2013) An experimental study of ash behaviour and the potential fate of ZnO/Zn in the Co-combustion of pulverised South African coal and waste tyre rubber. FUEL, 111, 269-279.
- Pickard S, Daood SS, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2013) Robust extension of the coats–redfern technique: reviewing rapid and realiable reactivity analysis of complex fuels decomposing in inert and oxidizing thermogravimetric analysis atmospheres. Energy and Fuels, 27(5), 2818-2826. View this article in WRRO
- Daood SS, Javed MT, Gibbs BM & Nimmo W (2013) NOx control in coal combustion by combining biomass co-firing, oxygen enrichment and SNCR. Fuel, 105, 283-292. View this article in WRRO
- Pickard S, Daood SS, Nimmo W, Lord R & Pourkashanian M (2013) Bio-CCS: Co-firing of established greenfield and novel, brownfield biomass resources under air, oxygen-enriched air and oxy-fuel conditions. Energy Procedia, 37, 6062-6069.
- Daood SS, Nimmo W, Edge P & Gibbs BM (2012) Deep-staged, oxygen enriched combustion of coal. Fuel, 101, 187-196.
- Munir S, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2011) The effect of air staged, co-combustion of pulverised coal and biomass blends on NO
xemissions and combustion efficiency. Fuel, 90(1), 126-135.
- Singh S, Nimmo W, Javed MT & Williams PT (2011) Cocombustion of Pulverized Coal with Waste Plastic and Tire Rubber Powders. ENERG FUEL, 25, 108-118.
- Nimmo W, Daood SS & Gibbs BM (2010) The effect of O-2 enrichment on NOx formation in biomass co-fired pulverised coal combustion. FUEL, 89(10), 2945-2952.
- Munir S, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2010) Shea meal and cotton stalk as potential fuels for co-combustion with coal. Bioresource Technology, 101(19), 7614-7623.
- Munir S, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2010) Co-combustion of Agricultural Residues with Coal: Turning Waste into Energy. ENERG FUEL, 24, 2146-2153.
- Daood S, Munir S, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2009) Char oxidation study of Sugar cane bagasse, Cotton stalk, and Pakistani coal under 1% and 3% oxygen concentrations. Biomass and Bioenergy, 34, 263-271.
- Singh S, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2009) Waste tyre rubber as a secondary fuel for power plants. FUEL, 88(12), 2473-2480.
- Singh S, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2009) Response to the comment by J.C Jones on 'waste tyre rubber as a secondary fuel for power plants'. FUEL, 88(11), 2320-2320.
- Javed MT, Nimmo W, Mahmood A & Irfan N (2009) Effect of oxygenated liquid additives on the urea based SNCR process. J ENVIRON MANAGE, 90(11), 3429-3435.
- Munir S, Daood SS, Nimmo W, Cunliffe AM & Gibbs BM (2009) Thermal analysis and devolatilization kinetics of cotton stalk, sugar cane bagasse and shea meal under nitrogen and air atmospheres.. Bioresour Technol, 100(3), 1413-1418.
- Scott AJ, Nimmo W, Scott R, Brown AP & Milne SJ (2008) Effects of aerosol heating rate on the properties of aggregates of lead zirconate titanate nanoparticles produced by spray pyrolysis. J MATER SCI, 43(18), 6353-6358.
- Nimmo W, Singh S, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2008) The evaluation of waste tyre pulverised fuel for NOx reduction by reburning. FUEL, 87(13-14), 2893-2900.
- Javed MT, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2008) Experimental and Modelling Study of the Effect of CO and H2 on the Urea DeNOx Process in a 150 kW Laboratory Reactor. Chemosphere, 70, 1059-1067.
- Nimmo W, Javed MT & Gibbs BM (2008) NOx control by ammonium carbonate and ammonia with hydrocarbons as additives. Journal of the Energy Institute, 81(3), 131-134.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA & Williams PT (2006) Enhanced NOx reduction with SO2 capture under air-staged conditions by calcium magnesium acetate in an oil-fired tunnel furnace. ENERG FUEL, 20(5), 1879-1885.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2006) A New Technology for the Control of NOx, SO2 and HCl emissions from large-scale combustion plant using calcium magnesium acetate. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 79(2), 92-100.
- Williams PT, Nimmo W, Patsias A & Hall W (2006) Investigation of SO2, HCl and NOx, control from waste incinerators using a novel additive in a pilot scale reactor.. Environ Technol, 27(5), 565-574.
- Patsias AA, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2005) Calcium-based sorbents for simultaneous NOx/SOx reduction in a down-fired furnace. FUEL, 84(14-15), 1864-1873.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA, Hall WJ & Williams PT (2005) Characterization of a process for the in-furnace reduction of NOx, SO2, and HCl by carboxylic salts of calcium. IND ENG CHEM RES, 44(12), 4484-4494.
- Agnew J, Hampartsoumian E, Jones JM & Nimmo W (2005) The effect of sintering on sulphur capture by limestone and dolomite. J ENERGY INST, 78(2), 81-89.
- Nimmo W, Ali NJ, Brydson R, Calvert C & Milne SJ (2005) Particle formation during spray pyrolysis of lead zirconate titanate. J AM CERAM SOC, 88(4), 839-844.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA, Hampartsoumian E, Gibbs BM, Fairweather M & Williams PT (2004) Calcium magnesium acetate and urea advanced reburning for NO control with simultaneous SO2 reduction. Fuel, 83(9), 1143-1150.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA, Hampartsoumian E, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2004) Simultaneous reduction of NOx and SO2 emissions from coal combustion by calcium magnesium acetate. Fuel, 83(2), 149-155.
- Nimmo W, Ali NJ, Brydson RMD, Calvert CC, Hampartsoumian E, Hind D & Milne SJ (2003) Formation of Lead Zirconate Titanate Powders by Spray Pyrolysis. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 86(9), 1474-1480.
- Hampartsoumian E, Folayan OO, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2003) Optimisation of NOx reduction in advanced coal reburning systems and the effect of coal type. Fuel, 82(4), 373-384.
- Folayan OO, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Hampartsoumian E (2002) Optimisation of advanced coal reburning for NOx control. J I ENERGY, 75(505), 100-106.
- Nimmo W, Hind D, Ali NJ, Hampartsoumian E & Milne SJ (2002) The production of ultrafine zirconium oxide powders by spray pyrolysis. Journal of Materials Science, 37(16), 3381-3387.
- Hughes KJ, Tomlin AS, Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Zsély IG, Ujvári M, Turányi T, Clague AR & Pilling MJ (2001) An investigation of important gas-phase reactions of nitrogenous species from the simulation of experimental measurements in combustion systems. Combustion and Flame, 124(4), 573-589.
- Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E & Gibbs BM (2001) Nitrogen sulphur Interactions in Coal Flames. Fuel, 80(7), 887-897.
- Agnew J (2000) The simultaneous calcination and sintering of calcium based sorbents under a combustion atmosphere. Fuel, 79(12), 1515-1523.
- Nimmo W, Agnew J, Hampartsoumian E & Jones JM (1999) Removal of H2S by spray-calcined calcium acetate. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 38, 2954-2962.
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Rosenberg P, Thomsen E & Williams A (1998) Evaluation of the chemical properties of coals and their maceral group constituents in relation to combustion reactivity using multi-variate analysis. Fuel, 77(7), 735-748.
- Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E, Hughes KJ & Tomlin AS (1998) Experimental and kinetic studies on the effect of sulfur-nitrogen interactions on no formation in flames. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 27(1), 1419-1426.
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Tomlin AS, Hughes KJ & Mahmud T (1998) Studies of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent-spray flames. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 71(488), 137-145.
- Hampartsoumian E & Nimmo W (1996) An experimental investigation of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent spray flames. Combustion Science and Technology, 110-111, 487-504.
- Nimmo W, Richardson J & Hampartsoumian E (1995) The effect of fuel-nitrogen functionality on the formation of NO, HCN and NH3 in practical liquid-fuel flames. journal of the institute of energy, 68(477), 170-177.
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (1993) The Prediction of No
xEmissions from Spray Combustion. Combustion Science and Technology, 93(1), 153-172.
- hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W & clarke A (1991) the formation of NH3, HCN and N2Oin an air-staged, fuel-oil flame. combustion and flame, 85(3-4), 499-504.
- Nimmo W, hampartsoumian E & sedighi K (1991) Control of NOx emission by Combustion-air Staging, The Measurement of NH3, HCN, NO and N2O Concentrations in Fuel-oil Flames. journal of the energy institute, 64, 128-134.
- Gibbs BM & Nimmo W (1988) Gasification and Pyrolysis of Peat in a Fluidised-bed. Innovation in Process Energy Utilisation, 105, 353-362.
- Franck J, Griffiths JF & Nimmo W (1986) The Control of Spontaneous Ignition Under Rapid Compression. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 21, 447-454.
- griffiths J & Nimmo W (1986) Novel Experimental Investigation of Spontaneous Ignition of Hydrocarbons. Nature, 322, 46-47.
- griffiths J & Nimmo W (1985) spontaneous ignition and engine knock under rapid compression. combustion and flame, 60(2), 215-218.
- Nimmo W & Liu H (2010) Developments in NOx Emission Control by 'Reburning' in Pulverised Coal Combustion In Grace CT (Ed.), Coal Combustion Research
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Pourkashanian M, Williams A & Missaghi M (1994) The Prediction of NOx Emission from Spray Combustion In Carvalho M, Fiveland W, Lockwood F & Papadopoulopus C (Ed.), Energy, Combustion and Environment (pp. 273-276). Gordon and Breach
Conference proceedings papers
- White T, Birch B, Daood SS, Javed MT & Nimmo W (2017) Innovation in coal utilisation and promotion of modern mining practices in Pakistan: a new blended-learning course. Going Global 2017, 22 May 2017 - 24 May 2017.
- Al-Qayim K, Szuhanszki J, Daood SS, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2016) Firing of 100% pulverized biomass in a 250 KW combustion test facility – effect of particle size on combustion performance. NA
- Finney K, Szuhanszki J, Al-Qayim K, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2016) Comparison of Metal Aerosol Emissions from Air-Firing of Coal and Biomass for Carbon Capture Applications. NA, 2 September 2016 - 7 September 2016.
- Akram M, Szuhanszki J, Milkowski K, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2016) Performance assessment of 1TPD post combustion CO2 capture with coal combustion. NA
- Javed T, Jabeen M & Nimmo W (2016) Current Practices and Challenges in Utilization of Coal in Pakistan. NA
- Nimmo W & Chilton S (2016) Agglomeration studies in a 250kW pilot scale bubbling fluidised bed biomass combustor. NA
- Stechly K, Clements A, Al-Qayim K, Alvarez Rodriguez A, Szuhanski J, Daood SS, Ingham D, Ma L, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2016) CFD Predictions of Biomass Combustion in a 250 kW Combustion Test Facility. NA, 2 September 2016 - 7 September 2016.
- Ottolini M, Daood SS & Nimmo W (2016) Advanced NOx Control by Combining In-Furnace Fuel Additive Combustion Technology and SNCR. NA
- Ottolini M, Daood SS & nimmo W (2016) Fuel additive efficient coal combustion technology. na, 8 August 2016 - 12 September 2016.
- Mallick TK, Micheli L, Banerjee S, Shanks K, Lokeswaran S, Baig H, Calabria F, Sarmah N, Walker M, Theristis M, Reddy KS, Ghosh P, Walker G, Choudhury S, Pourkashanian M, O'Donovan T, Hamilton J, Poggio D, Giddings D, Hazara A, Balachandran S, Grant D, Nimmo W, Ma L, Mathew AK, Goswami R, Chakraborty A, Dinha D, Bandyopadhyay K, Almonacid F & Fernandez EF (2015) Status and perspective of concentrating photovoltaic systems: The results of the BioCPV project and opportunities for a sustainable energy supply to rural areas. ISES Solar World Congress 2015, Conference Proceedings (pp 488-499)
- Daood S, Ord G, Wilkinson T & Nimmo W (2014) Fuel Enrichment Clean Coal Technology for Improving Efficiency and Reducing Emissions. 10th European Conference on Coal Research and its Application. University of Hull, 15 September 2014 - 17 September 2014.
- Chalmers H, Al-Jeboori M, Anthony B, Balusamy S, Black S, Marincola FC, Clements A, Darabkhani H, Dennis J, Farrow T, Fennell P, Franchetti B, Gao L, Gibbins J, Hochgreb S, Hossain M, Jurado N, Kempf A, Liu H, Lu G, Ma L, Navarro-Martinez S, Nimmo W, Oakey J, Pranzitelli A, Scott S, Snape C, Sun C-G, Sun D, Szuhánszki J, Trabadela I, Wigley F, Yan Y & Pourkashanian M (2014) OxyCAP UK: Oxyfuel Combustion - academic Programme for the UK. Energy Procedia, Vol. 63 (pp 504-510)
- Daood S, Nimmo W, Ord G & Wilkinson T (2013) The investigation of an iron based Fuel Additive on improving NOx reduction, quality of fly ash and combustion efficiency for pulverised coal combustion. 6th International Clean Coal Technologies. Thessaloniki, Greece, 12 May 2013 - 16 May 2013.
- Poggio D, Walker M, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2013) Estimation of the kinetic model parameters of anaerobic digestion of waste materials using semi-continuous laboratory scale digesters. International Conference on Advances in Energy Research. Mumbai, India, 10 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- Poggio D, Walker M, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M (2013) Model based evaluation of control strategies for the operation of anaerobic digesters in a microgrid with variable biogas demand. 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion: Recovering (bio) Resources for the World. Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 25 June 2013 - 28 June 2013.
- Pickard S, Daood S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W (2012) An analysis of the kinetics of coal and biomass decomposition under pyrolysis, and combustion in air-fired and oxyfuel conditions.. European Conference on Coal Research and Its Applications (ECCRIA), 10 September 2012 - 12 September 2012.
- Pickard S, Nimmo W, Pourkashanian M & Lord R (2012) Oxygen-Enriched Co-firing of Biomass with Coal.. World Resources Forum 2012. Beijing, China., 10 October 2012 - 14 October 2012.
- Javed MT & Nimmo B (2011) Oxygen Enriched and Oxyfuel Combustion - Promising Trends for Low Carbon Future. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 145 (pp 11-15)
- Gibbs BM & Nimmo W (2007) Low grade fuel gas production from peat and biomass in a fluidised bed. Advances in Combustion Technology: Improving the Environment and Energy Efficiency
- Nimmo W, Singh S, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2007) Waste Tyres as a Reburn Fuel for NOx Reduction in Power Plant.. The 9th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Envronment (Clean Air 2007), Oporto, Portugal July 2007
- Nimmo W, Singh S, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2007) NOx Reduction by Reburning with Waste Shredded Tyres. 2007 International Conference on Coal Science and Technology, Nottingham, Aug 2007
- Nimmo W, Singh S, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2007) The potential of waste tyre for NOx control by reburning. Advances in Combustion Technology: Improving the Environment and Energy Efficiency, 22 October 2007.
- Nimmo W, Patsias AA, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2005) A Novel Control Technology for Pollutant Reduction from Large Scale Combustion Plant using Calcium Magnesium Acetate. Eighth International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment, Lisbon, 27-30 June 2005.
- Williams PT, Hall WJ, Nimmo W & Patsias AA (2004) Simultaneous Control Of Acid Gases and NOx From Waste Incinerator Flue Gases. Waste 2004: Integrated Waste Management and Pollution control:Policy and Practice, Research and Solutions (pp 53-62)
- Patsias AA, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2004) Assessment of Calcium Magnesium Acetate and other Calcium Based Sorbents as NO and SO2 Reducers in Coal Combustion.. 5 European Conference on Coal Research, 6th – 8th September 2004
- Patsias AA, Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E, Gibbs BM & Williams PT (2004) Reduction of NOx and SOx emissions from coal combustion by Calcium Magnesium Acetate. 5th European Conference on Coal Research and its Applications, Edinburgh, UK, September 2004
- Williams PT, Nimmo W & Hall WJ (2003) Novel calcuim based sorbents for the multi-component removal of Hg, HCl, SO2 and NO from incinerator waste gas streams. 4th International Symposium on Waste Treatment Technologies, Sheffield UK
- Nimmo W, Williams PT & Patsias AA (2003) Novel advanced pollution control methodologies for clean coal combustion: Simultaneous reduction of sulphur dioxide (SO2) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) using calcium magnesium acetate. SET for Europe, House of Commons Conference, Nov. 2003
- Hampartsoumian E, Folayan OO, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM (2002) NOx control by advanced coal reburning. 6th European Conference on Industrial Boilers and Furnaces
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Folayan OO, Moores GE & Gibbs BM (2001) Advanced reburn. the 2001 BFRC British Flame Days
- Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E & Gibbs BM (2000) The influence of sulphur on the formation of NO in pulverised coal flames. 5th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers (pp 651-661)
- Agnew J, Hampartsoumian E, Jones JM & Nimmo W (1999) The effect of sintering on sulphur capture by limestone and dolomite. 5th International Conference on Combustion Technologies for a Clean Environment, Vol. II (pp 673-679)
- Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E, Agnew J & Jones JM (1999) H2S Removal Using Spray-pyrolysed Calcium Acetate. 5th Int. Conference on Technologies for a clean Environment, Vol. 2 (pp pp.805)
- Nimmo W, Hampartsoumian E, Hughes KJ & Tomlin AS (1998) Experimental and kinetic studies on the effect of sulphur-nitrogen interactions on NO formation in flames. 27th Symposium (International) on Combustion, Vol. 1 (pp 1419-1426)
- Hampartsoumian E, Nimmo W, Tomlin AS, Hughes KJ & Mahmud T (1998) Studies of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent, spray flames. 12th Members Conference, International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF)
- Agnew J, Hampartsoumian E, Jones JM & Nimmo W (1997) The removal of H2S from coal gas by calcium oxide: the effect of temperature and residence time on CaO/CaS sintering. Ninth International Conference on Coal Science, Vol. II (pp 1303-1306)
- Nimmo W, Tomlin AS & Hampartsoumian E (1996) Sulphur-Nitrogen interactions in flames and their effects on NO formation. 26th International Symposium on Combustion
- Chilton S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W () The effect of agglomeration due to utilization of biomass on the bed of a pilot scale 350KW fluidized bed combustor. 23rd European Biomass Conference and Exhibition. Vienna, 1 June 2015 - 4 June 2015.
- Al-Qayim K, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M () Comparative Techno-economic Assessment of Biomass and Coal with CCS Technology in a Pulverised Combustion Power Plant in the United Kingdom. 23rd European Biomass Conference and Exhibition. Vienna, 1 June 2015 - 4 June 2015.
- Szuhanszki J, Nimmo W, Black S & Pourkashanian M () Oxy-Fuel Combustion Performance Evaluation in a 250 kW Test Facility. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Daood S, Nimmo W, Ord G & Wilkinson T () Fuel Enrichment Clean Coal Technology for Improving Efficiency & Reducing Emissions. ECCRIA 10, Hull 10th Sept 2014, 8 September 2014 - 10 September 2014.
- Rizvi T, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W () Effect Of Gas And Deposit Composition On Corrosion In Oxyfuel Environments.. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Chilton S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W () A Study of The Effect of Agglomeration due to Utilisation of Biomass and Low Grade Coal on the Bed of a Pilot Scale 350KW Fluidised Bed. 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Pickard S, Daood S, Pourkashanian M & Nimmo W () Oxygen-enriched co-combustion of biomass for CCS applications. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Rizvi T, Pourkashanian & Nimmo W () Corrosion in Oxyfuel Environments and the Effect of Coal and Biomass Ash Deposits. European Conference on Coal Research and its Applications, ECCRIA 10, 15 September 2014.
- Chilton S, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M () A study of the effect of agglomeration due to utilization of biomass and low grade coal on the bed of a pilot scale 350KW fluidized bed combustor system.. International Bioenergy Conference. Manchester, 11 March 2014 - 13 March 2014.
- Mallick T, Reddy S, Sarmah N, Banerjee S, Micheli L, Gosh P, Walker G, Choudhury M, Pourkashanian M, Hamilton J, Walker M, Manickam K, Hazara A, Balachandran S, Lokeswaran S, Grant D, Nimmo W & Matthew A () Design concept and configuration of a hybrid renewable energy system for rural electrification in India through BioCPV project. IV th International Conference on Advances in Energy Research Indian Institute of Technology Bombay,, 10 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- Black S, Szuhanszki J, Nimmo W & Pourkashanian M () 250 kW Oxy-fuel Combustion Test Facility. OCC3, 9 September 2013 - 11 September 2013.
- poggio D, walker M, Nimmo W & pourkashanian M () Model based evaluation of control strategies for the operation of anaerobic digesters in a microgrid with variable biogas demand.. 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion: Recovering (bio) Resources for the World, 25 June 2013.
- Daood S, Nimmo W, ord G & wilkinson T () The investigation of an iron based Fuel Additive on improving NOx reduction, quality of fly ash and combustion efficiency for pulverised coal combustion. 6th Int. Clean Coal Technology Conference, Greece (Thessaloniki, 14-16th May 2013), 14 May 2013 - 16 May 2013.
- Nimmo W, Pickard S, Daood S & Pourkashanian M () An analysis of the kinetics of coal and biomass decomposition under pyrolysis, and combustion in air-fired and oxyfuel conditions. European Conference on Coal Research and Its Applications (ECCRIA). Nottingham University, 10 September 2012.
- Daood S, Nimmo W, Rizvi A, Javed T, Ingham D & Pourkashanian M () Reactivity analysis of Tharparker lignite coal under air, oxygen enriched air and oxyfuel reaction atmospheres in a thermogravimetric analyser. UK Pakistan Coal Conference. Leeds, 3 July 2012 - 5 July 2012.
- Szuhanszki S, Nimmo W, Pranzitelli A, Black S, Edge P, Ma L & Pourkashanian M () OXY-CAP UK, EON-EPSRC Strategic Partnership. 2nd Oxyfuel Combustion Conference, OCC2. Yeppoon, Australia, 12 September 2011 - 16 September 2011.
- Pickard S, Daood S, Nimmo W, Lord R, Pourkashanian M & Szuhanszki J () Pilot scale firing of brownfield biomass under oxyfuel conditions. 2nd Intl workshop on biomass, carbon capture and storage. Cardiff, 25 October 2011 - 26 October 2011.
- Daood S & Nimmo W () The Effect on NOx emission of Oxygen Enrichment in Biomass Co-fired Pulverised Coal Combustion. 8th European Conference on Coal Research & Its Applications. University of Leeds, Leeds, UK, 6 September 2010.
- Munir S, Nimmo W & Gibbs BM () Air and Fuel Staged Co-combustion of Biomass with Coal. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- Daood SS & Nimmo W () The Effect of Oxygen Enrichment under air-staged conditions on NOx Emission and Combustion Efficiency in Pulverised Coal Combustion. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- Singh S, Nimmo W, Gibbs BM & Williams PT () An Experimental Study of The Fate of Zn in Tyre/coal Co-Combustion. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- Nimmo W () Gasification and Pyrolysis of Peat in a Fluidised Bed. Symposium on Innovation in Process Energy Utilisation. Univ. of Bath, Bath, 16 September 1988.
- Gibbs BM, Nimmo W & Mohamed M () Low Grade Fuel Gas Production from Waste Gasification and Pyrolysis. Gasification:- Status and Prospects. 09 May 1988, 11 May 1988.
- Nimmo W () Waste Gasification and Pyrolysis for Low-grade Fuel Gas,. Energy Options - The Role of Alternatives in the World Energy Scene. Inst. Elect. Eng., London, UK, April 1984.
- Nimmo W & Gibbs BM () The Gasification of Peat in a Fluidised Bed Reactor. The 7th International Peat Congress. Dublin, S Ireland, July 1982.
- Daood S, Nimmo W, Ord G & Wilkinson T (2016) Fuel enrichment process. GB2516728 (UK). Appl. 13 Jan 2016.