Dr Candice Majewski
Postgraduate (Research) Admissions Tutor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
D02, The AdAM Centre
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 7791
Candice Majewski is a lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. She has a first degree in Mechanical Engineering from Loughborough University, and an MSc in Rapid Product Development from De Monfort University. Following completion of her MSc, Candice moved back to Loughborough University to undertake her PhD.
Candice's research is in the area of additive manufacturing, with a specialism in polymer-based processes.
Areas of Research
Candice has been involved in additive manufacturing since 2000, initially working with metal-based sintering processes. Since then she has moved towards polymer-based processes, again mainly focused around sintering technologies.
She has also managed several consultancy and contract research projects, using the knowledge gained from previous research projects to help steer the selection and development of new materials for the Laser Sintering process.
Her work has been recognised globally, most notably with the award of the 2011 International Outstanding Young Research in Freeform and Additive Manufacturing Award, and the Rapid Prototyping Journal's Outstanding Paper Award 2010.
MEC333 Integrated Design Skills
- Johnson AJ, Bingham GA & Majewski C (2017) Laser sintered body armour – establishing single layer stab protection. Rapid Prototyping Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Almansoori A, Majewski C & Rodenburg C (2017) Nanoclay/Polymer Composite Powders for Use in Laser Sintering Applications: Effects of Nanoclay Plasma Treatment. JOM, 69(11), 2278-2285. View this article in WRRO
- Johnson AA, Bingham GA & Majewski C (2017) The design and assessment of bio-inspired additive manufactured stab-resistant armour. Virtual and Physical Prototyping. View this article in WRRO
- Johnson AA, Bingham GA & Majewski C (2017) Comparing the penetrative stab performance of the UK HOSDB P1/B and Stanley Tools 1992 trimming blades on certified body armour specimens. The Police Journal: Theory, Practice and Principles, 90(1), 24-39. View this article in WRRO
- Jarvis D, Griffiths PD & Majewski C (2016) Demonstration of Normal and Abnormal Fetal Brains Using 3D Printing from In Utero MR Imaging Data. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF NEURORADIOLOGY, 37(9), 1757-1761. View this article in WRRO
- Allwood JM, Childs THC, Clare AT, De Silva AKM, Dhokia V, Hutchings IM, Leach RK, Leal-Ayala DR, Lowth S, Majewski CE, Marzano A, Mehnen J, Nassehi A, Ozturk E, Raffles MH, Roy R, Shyha I & Turner S (2016) Manufacturing at double the speed. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 229, 729-757. View this article in WRRO
- Vasquez GM, Majewski CE, Haworth B & Hopkinson N (2014) A targeted material selection process for polymers in laser sintering. Additive Manufacturing, 1-4, 127-138.
- Ellis A, Noble CJ, Hartley L, Lestrange C, Hopkinson N & Majewski C (2014) Materials for high speed sintering. Journal of Materials Research, 29(17), 2080-2085.
- Plummer K, Vasquez M, Majewski C & Hopkinson N (2012) Study into the recyclability of a thermoplastic polyurethane powder for use in laser sintering. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 226(7), 1127-1135.
- Majewski C & Hopkinson N (2011) Effect of section thickness and build orientation on tensile properties and material characteristics of laser sintered nylon-12 parts. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 17(3), 176-180.
- Majewski CE, Zarringhalam H, Toon D, Ajoku U, Hopkinson N & Caine MP (2009) The use of off-line part production to predict the tensile properties of parts produced by Selective Laser Sintering. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 209(6), 2855-2863.
- Hopkinson N, Majewski CE & Zarringhalam H (2009) Quantifying the degree of particle melt in Selective Laser Sintering®. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 58(1), 197-200.
- Zarringhalam H, Majewski C & Hopkinson N (2009) Degree of particle melt in Nylon-12 selective laser-sintered parts. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 15(2), 126-132.
- Majewski C, Zarringhalam H & Hopkinson N (2008) Effect of the degree of particle melt on mechanical properties in selective laser-sintered Nylon-12 parts. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 222(9), 1055-1064.
- Majewski CE, Oduye D, Thomas HR & Hopkinson N (2008) Effect of infra-red power level on the sintering behaviour in the high speed sintering process. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 14(3), 155-160.
- Majewski CE & Hopkinson N (2007) Release characteristics of polymer surface when moulding polyurethane foam. Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 36(10), 438-444.
- Majewski CE, Hobbs BS & Hopkinson N (2007) Effect of bed temperature and infra-red lamp power on the mechanical properties of parts produced using high-speed sintering. Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 2(2), 103-110.
- Majewski C & Hopkinson N (2004) Reducing ejection forces for parts moulded into direct metal laser sintered tools. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 24(1-2), 16-23.
- Majewski C & Hopkinson N (2003) Effect of tool finishing on ejection forces for injection moulded parts made using direct metal laser sintered tools. International Journal of Production Research, 41(3), 581-592.
- Majewski C, bingham G & Johnson A () Laser Sintered body armour – establishing guidelines for dual-layered stab protection. International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing. View this article in WRRO
- Majewski C (2011) Applications of Evolutionary Computing to Additive Manufacturing, Evolutionary Computing in Advanced Manufacturing (pp. 197-234).
Conference proceedings papers
- Almansoori ALAA, Seabright RYAN, Majewski CANDICE & Rodenburg CORNELIA (2017) Feasibility of Plasma Treated Clay in Clay/Polymer Nanocomposites Powders for use Laser Sintering (LS). IOP Conference Series : Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. Volume 195, conference 1, 12 September 2016 - 15 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Liu Y, Beck S, Nicolleau F & Majewski CE (2013) Controlled multi-scale turbulence through the use of Laser Sintered Sierpinski Pyramids. 24th International SFF Symposium - An Additive Manufacturing Conference, SFF 2013 (pp 869-878)
- Johnson A, Bingham GA & Majewski CE (2012) Establishing the performance requirements for stab resistant Additive Manufactured Body Armour (AMBA). 23rd Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium - An Additive Manufacturing Conference, SFF 2012 (pp 297-306)
- Majewski CE & Hopkinson N (2010) Effect of section thickness and build orientation on tensile properties and material characteristics of laser sintered nylon-12 parts. 21st Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium - An Additive Manufacturing Conference, SFF 2010 (pp 422-434)
- Majewski CE, Horsford PM & Hopkinson N (2009) Powder pre-conditioning for the LS process. 20th Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, SFF 2009 (pp 519-528)
- Majewski CE, Toon D, Zarringhalam H, Hopkinson N & Caine MP (2008) Tailoring the mechanical properties of Selective Laser Sintered parts. 19th Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, SFF 2008 (pp 94-103)
- Majewski CE, Zarringhalam H & Hopkinson N (2008) Effects of degree of particle melt and crystallinity in SLS Nylon-12 parts. 19th Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, SFF 2008 (pp 45-54)
- Toon D, Majewski C, Zarringhalam H, Hopkinson N & Caine M (2008) A novel approach to personalising the mechanical properties of sprint footwear (P179). ENGINEERING OF SPORT 7, VOL 2 (pp 207-213)
- Almansoori ALAA, Rodenburg C, Majewski C & Seabright RYAN () Feasibility of plasma treated clay in clay/polymer nanocomposites powders for use Laser Sintering (LS). Proceedings of International Conference on Stuctural Nano Composites (NANOSTRUC 2016), 12 September 2016 - 15 September 2016.
- al-obaidi & Majewski CANDICE () Ultrasonic Welding of Dissimilar Materials. 3rd IIW South-East European Welding Congress. Romania, 3 June 2015 - 5 June 2015.