Dr Hassan Ghadbeigi
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
B75 Portobello Centre
University of Sheffield
Tel: +44 (0) 114 22 27748
Fax: +44 (0) 114 22 27890
Dr Hassan Ghadbeigi graduated in Manufacturing Engineering in Iran and joined the University of Sheffield in 2006. He obtained his PhD in 2010 from the University of Sheffield in the field of mechanics of cutting operation. He was a member of IMMPETUS as Research Assistant (2006-2010) and was involved in projects on modelling and characterisation of material deformation during thermo-mechanical processing. Hassan was working on quantification of local deformation and damage in Advanced High Strength Steels as Post-Doctorate Research Associate (2010-2012). The project was in collaboration with Tata Steel Europe and M2i, the Netherlands. Dr Ghadbeigi has become a member of academic staff in 2012.
Areas of Research
Dr Ghadbeigi’s research activities are in the field of machining, mechanics of deformation in manufacturing operations, experimental mechanics, mechanics of materials and surface treatments applied to metallic alloys as well as damage, fatigue and fracture. Shot-peening and surface treatments are used to improve fatigue life of mechanical components. Modelling techniques including implicit/explicit and Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian (ALE) finite element are used to simulate manufacturing operations (machining and thermo-mechanical processes) and damage/fracture process in metallic and non-metallic materials. Multi-scale mechanical testing is carried out combined with full-field optical and Scanning Electron Microscopy based Digital Image Correlation to characterize micro/macro deformation and damage mechanisms.
Current research activities
- Damage and fracture of spot welds in automotive steels
- Local damage and deformation analysis of multi-phase high strength automotive steels (Dual phase, TRIP and Complex phase)
- Modelling of chip formation during milling operation of aerospace materials
- Alborzi E, Blakey S, Ghadbeigi H & Pinna C (2018) Prediction of growth of jet fuel autoxidative deposits at inner surface of a replicated jet engine burner feed arm. Fuel, 214, 528-537. View this article in WRRO
- Ali H, ghadbeigi H & Mumtaz KA (2018) Effect of scanning strategies on residual stress and mechanical properties of Selective Laser Melted Ti6Al4V. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 712, 175-187. View this article in WRRO
- Palmer JW, Ghadbeigi H, Curtis D & Novovic D (2018) An Experimental Study of the Effects of Dressing Parameters on the Topography of Grinding Wheels during Roller Dressing. Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 31, 348-355. View this article in WRRO
- Nioi M, Celotto S, Pinna C, Swart E & Ghadbeigi H (2017) Surface defect evolution in hot rolling of high-Si electrical steels. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 249, 302-312. View this article in WRRO
- Ghaei A, Khosravi M, Badrossamay M & Ghadbeigi H (2017) Micro-dimple rolling operation of metallic surfaces. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Ali H, Ma L, Ghadbeigi H & Mumtaz K (2017) In-situ residual stress reduction, martensitic decomposition and mechanical properties enhancement through high temperature powder bed pre-heating of Selective Laser Melted Ti6Al4V. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 695, 211-220. View this article in WRRO
- Alborzi E, Blakey S, Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Lewis C (2016) Investigation of surface deposition in a simulated fuel injector feed arm with sudden expansion/contraction. Fuel, 186, 534-543. View this article in WRRO
- Efthymiadis P, Dashwood R, Shollock B, Curry L, Ghadbeigi H, Barrow A & Robertson D (2016) Multiscale characterisation of the mechanical properties of austenitic stainless steel joints. Materials Science and Engineering A, 676, 324-335. View this article in WRRO
- Alharbi K, Ghadbeigi H, Efthymiadis P, Zanganeh M, Celotto S, Dashwood R & Pinna C (2015) Damage in dual phase steel DP1000 investigated using digital image correlation and microstructure simulation. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 23(8), 085005-085005. View this article in WRRO
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Celotto S (2013) Failure mechanisms in DP600 steel: Initiation, evolution and fracture. Materials Science and Engineering A, 588, 420-431. View this article in WRRO
- Thornton RW, Slatter T & Ghadbeigi H (2013) Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the dry sliding wear performance of ferrous alloys. Wear, 305(1-2), 177-191.
- Asgari A, Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Hodgson PD (2013) Multi-scale modelling of stress and strain partitioning in high strength dual phase steel. Computer Methods in Materials Science, 12, 163-174.
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Celotto S (2012) Quantitative strain analysis of the large deformation at the scale of microstructure: comparison between Digital Image Correlation and Microgrid techniques. Experimental Mechanics. View this article in WRRO
- H-Gangaraj SM, Alvandi-Tabrizi Y, Farrahi GH, Majzoobi GH & Ghadbeigi H (2011) Finite element analysis of shot-peening effect on fretting fatigue parameters. Tribology International, 44(11), 1583-1588. View this article in WRRO
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C, Celotto S & Yates JR (2010) Local plastic strain evolution in a high strength dual-phase steel. MAT SCI ENG A-STRUCT, 527(18-19), 5026-5032. View this article in WRRO
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C, Celotto S & Yates JR (2010) Strain evolution measurement at the microscale of a dual phase steel using Digital Image Correlation. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 24-25, 201-206. View this article in WRRO
- H-Gangaraj SM, Farrahi GH & Ghadbeigi H (2010) On the temperature and residual stress field during grinding. WCE 2010 - World Congress on Engineering 2010, 2, 1196-1200.
- Ghadbelgi H, Bradbury SR, Pinna C & Yates JR (2008) Determination of micro-scale plastic strain caused by orthogonal cutting. INT J MACH TOOL MANU, 48(2), 228-235. View this article in WRRO
- Farrahi GH & Ghadbeigi H (2006) An investigation into the effect of various surface treatments on fatigue life of a tool steel. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 174(1-3), 318-324.
- Duboust N, Melis D, Pinna C, Ghadbeigi H, Collis A, Ayvar-Soberanis S & Kerrigan K () Machining of carbon fibre: optical surface damage characterisation and tool wear study. Procedia CIRP, 45, 71-74.
- Duboust N, Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C, Ayvar-Soberanis S, Collis A, Scaife R & Kerrigan K () An optical method for measuring surface roughness of machined Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic composites. Journal of Composite Materials. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Duboust N, Pinna C, Ghadbeigi H, Ayvar-Soberanis S, Phadnis VA, Collis A & Kerrigan K (2017) 2D and 3D Finite Element Models for the Edge Trimming of CFRP. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 58 (pp 233-238) View this article in WRRO
- Al-Rubaye A, Atallah K & Ghadbeigi H (2016) Experimental strain measurement in a blanking operation. 11th BSSM International Conference on Advanced in Experimental Mechanics, Exeter, UK
- Duboust N, Melis D, Pinna C, Ghadbeigi H, Collis A, Ayvar-Soberanis S & Kerrigan K (2016) Machining of carbon fibre: optical surface damage characterisation and tool wear study. 3rd CIRP Conference on Surface Integrity (CIRP CSI), Charlotte, NC, USA, 8 June 2016 - 10 June 2016.
- Alharbi K, Ghadbeigi H, Zanganeh M, Celotto S & Pinna C (2014) Damage formation in dual phase steel: a combined approach of digital image correlation and microstructure modelling. 7th European conference on steel and composite structures (eurosteel 2014),. Napoli, Italy, 10 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Celotto S (2014) An investigation on the subsurface micro-cracking induced by coating process in automotive steels. 16th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (ICEM 16). Cambridge, UK, 7 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Panoutsos G, Mumtaz KA & Ghadbeigi H (2013) Systematic modelling and real-time optimization for manufacturing complex geometries using Additive Manufacturing techniques. 2nd Annual EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference. Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK, 17 September 2013 - 18 September 2013.
- Alharbi K, Ghadbeigi H, Zanganeh M & Pinna C (2013) A combined Digital Image Correlation-Finite Element modelling approach to investigate damage formation in dual phase steels. European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes (EUROMAT) 2013. Sevilla, Spain, 8 September 2013 - 13 September 2013.
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Celotto S (2012) An investigation into the failure mechanisms at the onset of necking in DP600 steel. 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (ICEM 15). Porto- Portugal, 22 July 2012 - 27 July 2012.
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Celotto S (2011) Local damage initiation mechanisms of a DP steel: surface observations vs. mid-plane deformation. EUROMAT 2011. Montpellier, France.. Montpellier, France, 12 September 2011 - 15 September 2011.
- Alborzi E, Blakey SG, Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C, Pourkashanian M & Wilson CW (2011) Analysis of the structure of deposited materials at inner surface of jet fuel injector feed arm with Optical and Scanning Electron Microscopy. The 12th International conference on stability, handling and use of liquid fuels (IASH 2011). Sarasota, Florida USA., Vol. 2 (pp 1120-1148). Sarasota, Florida USA, 16 October 2011 - 20 October 2011.
- Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C, Celotto S & Yates JR (2010) In-situ strain and damage analyses of Dual- Phase steels at micro-scale using Digital Image Correlation. The 2nd International Conference on Super High Strength Steel. Peschiera del Garda, Italy.. Peschiera del Garda, Italy, 17 October 2010 - 20 October 2010.
- Ghadbeigi H, Bradbury SR, Pinna C & Yates JR (2009) On the Modelling of Chip Formation in Orthogonal Cutting:Damage Mechanics Approach. 12th CIRP conference on modelling of machining operations. Donostia-San sebastian, Spain., Vol. 1 (pp 77-82). Donostia-San sebastian, Spain, 7 May 2009 - 8 May 2009.
- Ghadbeigi H, Bradbury SR, Pinna C & Yates JR (2007) Application of Electron Beam Lithography technique for the determination of micro-scale plastic strain due to machining. The 10th CIRP international workshop on modelling of machining operations. Reggio Calabria, Italy., Vol. 1 (pp 533-538). Reggio Calabria, Italy, 27 August 2007 - 28 August 2007.
- Nion M, Pinna C, Celotto S, Swart E & Ghadbeigi H () Surface Defect Evolution in Hot Rolling of High Si-electrical Steels. METAL 2016, International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, Brno, Czech Republic, EU, 25 May 2016 - 27 May 2016.
- Alharbi, K, Ghadbeigi H, Zanganeh M & Pinna C () A combined Digital Image Correlation-Finite Element modelling approach to investigate damage formation in Dual Phase steels. European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes (EUROMAT) 2013. Sevilla, Spain, 8 September 2013 - 13 September 2013.