Academic progression for continuing students
Students can only apply for a visa extension to complete their course from inside the UK if they meet the academic progression requirements listed below.
If you are extending your Student Visa to complete your course, you can only apply in the UK if you meet the academic progression rules or are exempt.
You can apply in the UK if you are
- applying as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or you are applying for a visa to return to complete your course after your post has ended
- repeating course modules or re-sitting exams, or have done so in the past
- undertaking a work placement or study abroad year, or have done so in the past
- moving up a level as part of an integrated masters course (eg you are applying to change from BEng to MEng)*
- moving down a level as part of an integrated masters course or have previously moved down a level and are continuing to study
- studying medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine and science and have completed a period of intercalation
- adding a study abroad programme or work placement which is an integral and assessed part of the course, or to complete your course after completing a study abroad programme or work placement.
* For integrated masters upgrades, you would only be able to apply in the UK for your new visa if you are:
- in the process of changing to the higher level, or
- have yet to start the higher level course e.g. before the next academic year starts.
If you changed to the higher level course and have already been studying this then you would not meet these rules and would need to apply from overseas.
If none of the above applies to you, then you must apply for your visa from outside the UK.
If you are repeating or have previously repeated, have previously changed course and need a visa extension, you can only apply in the UK if you are repeating course modules or have repeated modules from the course that you have changed to.
Where you are extending your Student Visa to complete a postgraduate research course you may not be able to apply in the UK to do so.
You can apply in the UK if you
- are applying to complete the PhD or doctoral qualification (RQF Level 8) you have been studying on your most recent Student or Tier 4 visa
You cannot apply in the UK if you
- have changed PhD programme and are starting a new one
- are studying a postgraduate research qualification below doctoral level (eg an MPhil)
- are transferring your PhD or doctoral qualification from a different University
If you change from a PhD to an MPhil course you should seek advice from ISSAC to confirm if you will require a new visa or not as part of this change, and if you meet academic progression rules. Depending on your circumstances you may or may not require a new visa before you can move to the MPhil course. If you do require a new visa you would need to apply for this from overseas.
Studying a further course at the University of Sheffield?
If you are intending on studying another course at the University of Sheffield after completing the course you are currently registered on, the information you need about the academic progression for your next course is here.
Still got questions?
Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.