Diversity in the Cultures of Physics
Summer School Sheffield/Manchester - Berlin 2018
The summer school is a bilateral exchange programme for young physicists who are interested in starting a PhD within the next few years.
Application Deadline: April 29th 2018
Summer School: August 6th-August 31st 2018
Sheffield/Manchester: 6th-17th August 2018
Berlin: 20th-31st August 2018
A joint summer school "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held for young female physicists at The University of Sheffield (UK), The University of Manchester (UK) and Freie University Berlin (Germany). The aim is to facilitate the transition to a PhD and to open up transnational perspectives for a career in physics or a related subject.
The summer school is aimed at young female physics students who:
- are considering starting a PhD within the next few years
- currently study physics or a degree including physics at The University of Sheffield, The University of Manchester or Freie University Berlin.
- are interested in the political and social framework of physics
- want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Aims of the Summer School
- gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
- establish contacts which may result in future collaborations and stays abroad while pursuing graduate work
- get to know the professional networks in physics
- learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programmes for young female scientists
- become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
- learn about equality politics at European universities and research institutions
- learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
- recognize and explore the diversity in the cultures of physics
- learn about funding mechanisms and different types of PhD studentships
Program of the Summer School
The participants will spend 4 weeks together in Sheffield (1 week), Manchester (1 week) and in Berlin (2 weeks).
In each country the courses offered will include the following events:
- Lectures and visits to research groups in the Physics Department of the university
- Visits to other research institutions and universities in the region
- Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations,
- Lectures and discussions on gender and science studies.
For further information about the summer school including example schedules and activities see the presentation
To apply to attend this year's Summer School (deadline 29th April 2018) you should complete the application form and write a statement describing why attending the Summer School will be of benefit to you (maximum length 2 pages). Email both documents to David Mowbray (Sheffield Students) or Emma Nichols (Manchester Students) by midnight 29th April.
Students participating in the school will receive a scholarship of €1045 as a contribution towards travel, accommodation and living costs.
The creation of these resources has been (partially) funded by the ERASMUS+ grant program of the European Union under grant no. 2016-1-DE01-KA203-002918.
Neither the European Commission nor the project's national funding agency DAAD are responsible for the content or liable for any losses or damage resulting of the use of these resources.