Job and fellowship opportunities in astrophysics
The Astrophysics Group is always keen to host outstanding candidates holding independent research fellowships. These fellowships offer excellent opportunities to pursue an independent research programme free from requirements for teaching and admin. They often offer the first step to a permanent academic position – in recent years Justyn Maund, Richard Parker and Steven Parsons have all secured posts at Sheffield after the award of such a Fellowship.
The University of Sheffield offers long-term (>3 years) independent research fellows an academic position after their fellowship, together with funding for a PhD student to kick-start their research programme and other benefits. More details can be found here.
Fellowship schemes include:
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships (5 years)
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships (5+3 years)
- ERC Starting Grants, Consolidator Grants and Advanced Grants (up to 5 years)
- Leverhulme Trust Early Career Research Fellowships (3 years)
- Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (2 years)
- Royal Commission for the Exhibition 1851 (3 years)
- Newton International Fellowships (2 years)
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships (4+3 years)
If you would like to apply for one of these fellowships with the group, or would like to discuss bringing an established fellowship to the group then please contact Professor Vik Dhillon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications for fellowships are competitive so please express interest to us at least two months before any external deadline.