EU Students and Brexit

This page provides information on the EU Settlement Scheme for EU students wishing to remain in the UK after the government leaves the EU.

Brexit Information Sessions

The next information sessions for EU/EEA students in Brexit will be on Friday 25th October 12:00 - 13:30 and Thursday 7th November 17:15 - 18:45. Both sessions will take place in Diamond, Lecture Theatre 1.

Please book a place using the links above if you wish to attend.

We are also offering workshops to help with application checking together with the Student Advice Centre.

You will need to book a space on the workshop if you wish to attend one of them.

The workshops will be:

  • Thursday 7th November 12:00 -14:00 - Gallery Room 2
  • Tuesday 12th November 14:00 - 17:00 - View Room 4
  • Thursday 21st November 14:00 - 17:00 - Gallery Room 3
  • Friday 29th November 9:00 - 12:00 - View Room 6

You will book a specific 1 hour slot within the above times. For example, if you choose to attend on Tuesday 12th November, you will be able to book 9:00, 10:00 or 11:00.

EU Settlement Scheme

Details on the EU Settlement Scheme are still being finalised by the UK government and are subject to change.

Where you are an EU student, the EU Settlement Scheme allows you to apply for settled or pre-settled status to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020.

Applications are now open for everyone. The application is free of charge.

Settled Status

You will be granted settled status or indefinite leave where:

  • you have been in the UK for a continuous period of five years; and
  • you have not been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in any 12 month period (no restriction on the number of absences)

A single period of absence for more than six months but not exceeding 12 months is permitted where it is for an important reason such as:

  • study
  • childbirth
  • pregnancy
  • serious illness
  • overseas posting
  • vocational training

You must provide relevant evidence (e.g. letters from a doctor, educational institution or relevant government body).

Where you have had any absences of 12 months or longer we recommend seeking advice prior to making an application.

Any period of absence on compulsory military service is permitted.

Please visit the page below for more information.

Pre-Settled Status

You will be granted pre-settled status or limited leave where:

  • you have been in the UK for less than five years; or
  • you cannot prove that you have been resident in the UK for five years

You will be granted 5 years limited leave to remain during which your rights to healthcare, work arrangements and access to benefits will continue.

You will be eligible to apply for settled status or indefinite leave to remain free of charge as soon as you have completed 5 years continuous residence in the UK.

For further information on the EU Settlement Scheme and how this will affect you, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.

No Deal Brexit Scenario

This information applies to EEA and Swiss nationals arriving in the UK after 31st Octrober 2019 in the case of a no-deal Brexit. It does not apply to Irish citizens.

  • Where you do not intend to stay in the UK for more than 3 months, you do not need to apply for any immigration status or visa.
  • Where you have arrived before the UK has left the EU, you will still be able to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme described above.
  • Where you arrive after the UK has left the EU, you must apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain to be able to live, work and study in the UK for longer than 3 months.

European Temporary Leave to Remain

Where you are granted European Temporary Leave to Remain, you will be able to stay in the UK for 36 months from the date of your application. This will be a temporary, non-extendable immigration status.

European Temporary Leave to Remain does not grant you:

  • indefinite leave to remain (IRL)
  • status under the EU Settlement Scheme

Where you wish to stay in the UK for more than 36 months, you must apply for an immigration status under the new immigration system. This will come into effect from 1st January 2021.

Where you do not qualify under the new immigration system, you must leave the UK when your European Temporary Leave to Remain expires.

Please visit the page below for more information.

How to Apply

To apply under this scheme you must provide evidence of your residence in the UK, acceptable documents include:

  • permanent residence card
  • National Insurance number
  • letters from education and healthcare providers

A full list of acceptable evidence can be found on the page below.

Where you can provide a permanent residence card, you will not have to pay for your application.

Where you have a National Insurance number, your work records will be automatically accessed as part of the application and used to calculate your length of residence.

For further information on how to apply, please visit the page below.

For information and tips on the application process from fellow international students, please visit the pages below.

Where you have any further questions, please email International Student Support.

Frequently Asked Questions

See Also

Where you are an EU student coming to the UK from 2018 onwards, the video below provides information on fees, visas and funding.