The Alfred Denny Museum of Zoology
The museum was established in 1905 and named after the department's first professor of biology, Alfred Denny. Many of the specimens have been in the museum since the early 1900s when collecting was at its peak.
The facility has been in continuous use for teaching undergraduates for more than 100 years.
The Alfred Denny Museum is usually open on the first Saturday of each month for guided tours at 10am, 11am and 12pm.
High quality specimens from across the globe from all major phyla including fossils and material of extinct animals, which demonstrate the diversity of animal life on earth. The displays include a large spirit collection (animals stored in alcohol) and fully articulated skeletons of a wide range of vertebrates (backboned animals).
Rare glass lantern slides donated to the museum by Henry Clifton Sorby, who developed a pioneering technique of mounting marine animals in thin sheets of glass, so they could be projected onto a screen for viewing.
Two letters written from Charles Darwin to Henry Denny (Alfred Denny's father), which are available in transcription.
|Back to All Events|