Networks of Resourceful Architecture
Studio tutor: Satwinder Samra
The studio will reveal the potential that exists by exploring networks and resources both in the design and making of architecture. Contemporary architectural culture is burdened by outmoded tactics and wasteful processes which can lead to overproduction and under utilisation.
Early work will focus on better understanding our own working methods through a series of interactive workshops. These will reveal what we already know and how we intend to operate throughout the year. In particular we will focus on fast drawing, dealing with doubt and enhanced communication. This will allow you to become a better designer and a more agile, reflective practitioner.
The studio will be based in and around the City of London and further if required. This offers huge potential for a variety of projects in relation to scale, program, purpose, speculation and thematic approach.
As we move towards depleting energy supplies and decreasing capital we will endeavour to be resourceful in both our processes and outputs. We will aim to ensure that we develop a mutual and collective approach in all our work. This will encourage you to be mindful and reflective towards achieving a healthy and productive work/life balance.
Specific themes for expansion:
- Realise that architectural speculation and production can co-exist.
- Develop methods that expand the spatial potential of your endeavours.
- Be canny and agile in deciding how we work and what we focus on.
- Openly discuss why being original isn’t helpful.
- Understand that good ideas exist only when they are shared.
- Learn from broadcast media on how to engage with a broader public.
- View the technical through material, climatic and poetic engagement.
- Enjoy the process of producing architecture of merit.
International Merit Scholarships
We offer a generous package of financial support for international students including 75 undergraduate scholarships worth £10,000 towards the annual tuition fee and 125 postgraduate taught scholarships worth £5,000 towards the tuition fee. Applications are now open for existing offer holders.