Dr Henriette S. Jensen
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Postgraduate Taught Course Director for MSc Environmental and Energy Engineering
Postgraduate Taught Course Director for MSc Energy Engineering with Industrial Management
+44 114 222 8254
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I completed my PhD in environmental engineering at Aalborg University in Denmark in 2008 where I also studied for a five year MEng in environmental engineering, graduating in 2005. My PhD was entitled “Hydrogen sulphide induced concrete corrosion of sewer networks” and was carried out within the Sewer Processes and Networks research group.
After completing my PhD, I took a position as Postdoctoral researcher here at the University of Sheffield first to work on a project entitled “Microbiology in Urban Water Systems”. And later on the project “Deploying synthetic biology in the water industry”
In 2011 I was awarded a lectureship here in Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. Throughout my employment at University of Sheffield I have been a member of the Pennine Water Group.
- Research interests
- Sewer process modelling
- Hydrogen sulphide induced corrosion
- Microbial ecology in urban water systems
- Synthetic biology
- Odour problems
- The characteristics and in-sewer transport potential of solids derived from domestic food waste disposers. Water Science & Technology.
- Influence of phosphate dosing on biofilms development on lead in chlorinated drinking water bioreactors. npj Biofilms and Microbiomes, 6(1).
- Influence of phosphate dosing on biofilm development on Drinking Water Distribution Systems infrastructure surfaces. Access Microbiology, 2(7A).
- Opportunities for coupled electrochemical and ion-exchange technologies to remove recalcitrant micropollutants in water. Separation and Purification Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Potential influence of sewer heat recovery on in-sewer processes. Water Science and Technology, 80(12), 2344-2351.
- Performance of wild-serbian ganoderma lucidum mycelium in treating synthetic sewage loading using batch bioreactor. Scientific Reports, 9(1). View this article in WRRO
- Influence of design and media amendments on the performance of stormwater biofilters. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Water Management, 171(2), 87-98. View this article in WRRO
- Spatial and temporal variability of bacterial communities within a combined sewer system. MicrobiologyOpen, 5(4), 616-625. View this article in WRRO
- Spatial Variability of Anaerobic Processes and Wastewater pH in Force Mains. Water Environment Research, 88(8), 747-755.
- The importance of sewer biofilms. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, 3(4), 487-494. View this article in WRRO
- Enumeration of sulphate-reducing bacteria for assessing potential for hydrogen sulphide production in urban drainage systems. Water Science and Technology, 73(12), 3087-3094. View this article in WRRO
- Experimental evaluation of the stoichiometry of sulfide-related concrete sewer corrosion. Journal of Environmental Engineering (United States), 140(2).
- Growth kinetics of hydrogen sulfide oxidizing bacteria in corroded concrete from sewers. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 189(3), 685-691.
- Effect of temperature on the substrate utilization profiles of microbial communities in different sewer sediments. ENVIRON TECHNOL, 32(2), 133-144.
- Growth kinetics of hydrogen sulfide oxidizing bacteria in corroded concrete from sewers. Journal of Hazardous Materials.
- MUWS (Microbiology in urban water systems) - An interdisciplinary approach to study microbial communities in urban water systems. Drinking Water Engineering and Science, 3(2), 91-99.
- Modeling of hydrogen sulfide oxidation in concrete corrosion products from sewer pipes. Water Environment Research, 81(4), 365-373.
- Hydrogen sulphide removal from corroding concrete: Comparison between surface removal rates and biomass activity. Environmental Technology, 30(12), 1291-1296.
- Aerobic and anaerobic transformations of sulfide in a sewer system - Field study and model simulations. Water Environment Research, 80(1), 16-25.
- Influence of pipe material and surfaces on sulfide related odor and corrosion in sewers. Water Research, 42(15), 4206-4214.
- Survival of hydrogen sulfide oxidizing bacteria on corroded concrete surfaces of sewer systems. Water Science and Technology, 57(11), 1721-1726.
- Corrosion of concrete sewers-The kinetics of hydrogen sulfide oxidation. Science of the Total Environment, 394(1), 162-170.
- Modeling the formation and fate of odorous substances in collection systems. Water Environment Research, 80(2), 118-126.
- Optimization of mycoremediation treatment for the chemical oxygen demand (COD) and ammonia nitrogen (AN) removal from domestic effluent using wild-Serbian Ganoderma lucidum (WSGL). Environmental Science and Pollution Research.
Conference proceedings papers
- Diversification of Temporal Sewage Loading Concentration in Tropical Climates. IOP Conference Series Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 264(1), 30 November 2018 - 2 December 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Food waste particles: An under-explored class of sediment transport. Proceedings of the 5th IAHR Europe Congress - New challenges in hydraulic research and engineering (pp 727-728). Trento, Italy, 12 June 2018 - 14 June 2018. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO The effect of pipe diameter on hydrogen sulfide build-up in rising mains – model study. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Urban Drainage Modelling. Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada, 20 September 2015 - 23 September 2015.
- Effect of Biodegradability on Erosion of Highly Organic Sewer Sediment, 7 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Describing baterial community diversity in combined sewers. 7th International Conference on Sewer Processes and Networks. Sheffield, 28 August 2013 - 30 August 2013.
- The Effect of Wastewater-Grown Biofilm on Pipe Surface Roughness. 13th international conference on Urban Drainage. Kuching, Malaysia, 7 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Data mining T-RFLP profiles from urban water system sampling using self-organizing maps. Proceedings - International Conference on Natural Computation (pp 212-216)
- Modeling the corrosion of concrete sewers. 12th international Conference of Urban Drainage. Porto Alegre, Brazil, 11 September 2011 - 16 September 2011.
- MUWS (Microbiology in Urban Water Systems) - An interdisciplinary approach to study microbial communities in urban water systems. INTEGRATING WATER SYSTEMS (pp 397-403)
- New Findings in Hydrogen Sulfide Related Corrosion of Concrete Sewers. Pipelines 2009 - Infrastructures hidden assets : Proceedings of the Pipelines 2009 Conference. San Diego, Ca, 16 August 2009 - 19 August 2009.
- View this article in WRRO Characterisation of particles from food waste disposers and their expected behaviour in sewers. Proceedings of the 14th IWA/IAHR International Conference on Urban Drainage
- Hydrogen sulfide initiated corrosion in concrete sewers - a conceptual approach for prediction. 11th International Conference on Urban Drainage. Edinburgh, UK, 31 August 2008 - 5 September 2008.
- Data mining T-RFLP profiles from water system sampling using Self-Organising Maps. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Natural Computation and the 9th Proceedings of International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (IEEE), Vol. 1 (pp 219-223)
- Modeling the corrosion of concrete sewers. 12th International Conference on Urban Drainage. Porto Alegre
- Teaching activities