Professor Mark Dickman
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Deputy Faculty Director of Research & Innovation - Engineering
Chair of Research Committtee
+44 114 222 7541
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I obtained a First Class Honours Degree in Biochemistry/Chemistry at the University of Sheffield. I continued at the Krebs Institute, where I obtained my PhD. Following my PhD I joined a biotechnology company, Transgenomic LTD where I worked as a research scientist developing analytical techniques including DNA/RNA Chromatography. I joined the Dept of Chemical and Biological Engineering in 2003.
I am member of number of research centres/institutes at the University of Sheffield including the Krebs Institute, Advanced Biomanufacturing Centre (ABC) and Sheffield Institute for Nucleic Acids (SInFoNiA). I am currently the Director of Student Recruitment in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering.
- Research interests
My research focuses on the development and application analytical techniques to study biological systems. In particular, biological mass spectrometry in conjunction with bioseparations have been utilised to study a wide variety of biological systems. Using these analytical approaches we are interested in identifying and characterising protein complexes, protein-RNA/DNA complexes, protein post translational modifications and RNA post transcriptional modifications.
- Biological mass spectrometry
- Post-translational and post-transcriptional modifications
- CRISPR systems
- The effects of plant cysteine proteinases on the nematode cuticle. Parasites & Vectors, 14(1).
- Pneumolysin Is Responsible for Differential Gene Expression and Modifications in the Epigenetic Landscape of Primary Monocyte Derived Macrophages. Frontiers in Immunology, 12, 573266.
- How the O2-dependent Mg-protoporphyrin monomethyl ester cyclase forms the fifth ring of chlorophylls. Nature Plants, 7(3), 365-375.
- Structures of Rhodopseudomonas palustris RC-LH1 complexes with open or closed quinone channels. Science Advances, 7(3), eabe2631-eabe2631.
- Developmental acclimation of the thylakoid proteome to light intensity in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal.
- Xanthophyll carotenoids stabilise the association of cyanobacterial chlorophyll synthase with the LHC-like protein HliD. Biochemical Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Proteorhodopsin overproduction enhances the long-term viability of Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 86(1). View this article in WRRO
- Depletion of the FtsH1/3 Proteolytic Complex Suppresses the Nutrient Stress Response in the Cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp strain PCC 6803. The Plant Cell, 31(12), 2912-2928.
- Membrane organization of photosystem I complexes in the most abundant phototroph on Earth. Nature Plants, 5(8), 879-889. View this article in WRRO
- The ChlD subunit links the motor and porphyrin binding subunits of magnesium chelatase. Biochemical Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of data acquisition methods for the identification and quantification of histone post‐translational modifications on a Q Exactive HF hybrid quadrupole Orbitrap mass spectrometer.. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 33(10), 897-906. View this article in WRRO
- Proteins that physically interact with the phosphatase Cdc14 in Candida albicans have diverse roles in the cell cycle. Scientific Reports, 9. View this article in WRRO
- High resolution fingerprinting of single and double-stranded RNA using ion-pair reverse phase chromatography. Journal of Chromatography B, 1104, 212-219. View this article in WRRO
- Proteomic and cellular localisation studies suggest non-tight junction cytoplasmic and nuclear roles for occludin in astrocytes. European Journal of Neuroscience, 47(12), 1444-1456. View this article in WRRO
- UCHL3 Regulates Topoisomerase-Induced Chromosomal Break Repair by Controlling TDP1 Proteostasis. Cell Reports, 23(11), 3352-3365. View this article in WRRO
- Quantification of dsRNA using stable isotope labeling dilution liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 32(7), 590-596. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of protein W, the elusive sixth subunit of the Rhodopseudomonas palustris reaction center-light harvesting 1 core complex. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, 1859(2), 119-128. View this article in WRRO
- Bacteriophage DNA glucosylation impairs target DNA binding by type I and II but not by type V CRISPR–Cas effector complexes. Nucleic Acids Research, 46(2), 873-885. View this article in WRRO
- Quantitative Proteomic Analysis in Candida albicans Using SILAC-Based Mass Spectrometry. PROTEOMICS, 18(5-6), 1700278-1700278. View this article in WRRO
- Accurate Quantification of Nucleic Acids Using Hypochromicity Measurements in Conjunction with UV Spectrophotometry. Analytical Chemistry, 89(24), 13567-13574. View this article in WRRO
- PufQ regulates porphyrin flux at the haem/bacteriochlorophyll branchpoint of tetrapyrrole biosynthesis via interactions with ferrochelatase.. Molecular Microbiology. View this article in WRRO
- Purification and characterisation of dsRNA using ion pair reverse phase chromatography and mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 1484, 14-25. View this article in WRRO
- RNASwift: a rapid, versatile RNA extraction method free from phenol and chloroform. Analytical Biochemistry, 512, 36-46. View this article in WRRO
- Biosynthesis of Chlorophyll a in a Purple Bacterial Phototroph and Assembly into a Plant Chlorophyll–Protein Complex. ACS Synthetic Biology, 5(9), 948-954. View this article in WRRO
- The therapeutic potential of epigenetic manipulation during infectious diseases. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of histone post translational modifications in primary monocyte derived macrophages using reverse phase × reverse phase chromatography in conjunction with porous graphitic carbon stationary phase. Journal of Chromatography A, 1453, 43-53. View this article in WRRO
- Two Unrelated 8-Vinyl Reductases Ensure Production of Mature Chlorophylls in Acaryochloris marina. Journal of Bacteriology, 198(9), 1393-1400. View this article in WRRO
- Nucleic acid separations using superficially porous silica particles. Journal of Chromatography A, 1440, 135-144. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of Chlorophyll-Binding Proteins in a Fully Segregated Δycf54 Strain of the Cyanobacterium Synechocystis PCC 6803. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7. View this article in WRRO
- PucC and LhaA direct efficient assembly of the light-harvesting complexes in Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Molecular Microbiology, 99(2), 307-327. View this article in WRRO
- Oxidative Glial Cell Damage Associated with White Matter Lesions in the Aging Human Brain. Brain Pathology, 25(5), 565-574. View this article in WRRO
- Mass spectrometry analysis of histone post translational modifications. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models, 12, 41-48.
- 227 Luzp4 defines a new mRNA export pathway in cancer cells. European Urology Supplements, 14(2), e227-e227b.
- Arginine methylation and citrullination of splicing factor proline- and glutamine-rich (SFPQ/PSF) regulates its association with mRNA. RNA, 21(3), 347-359. View this article in WRRO
- Luzp4 defines a new mRNA export pathway in cancer cells. Nucleic Acids Research, 43(4), 2353-2366. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of crRNA Using Liquid Chromatography Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry (LC ESI MS), 133-145.
- Programmable RNA Shredding by the Type III-A CRISPR-Cas System of Streptococcus thermophilus. Molecular Cell, 56(4), 506-517. View this article in WRRO
- Aberrant Assembly Complexes of the Reaction Center Light-harvesting 1 PufX (RC-LH1-PufX) Core Complex ofRhodobacter sphaeroidesImaged by Atomic Force Microscopy. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 289(43), 29927-29936. View this article in WRRO
- Integration of energy and electron transfer processes in the photosynthetic membrane of Rhodobacter sphaeroides.. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1837(10), 1769-1780. View this article in WRRO
- Archaeal MBF1 binds to 30S and 70S ribosomes via its helix–turn–helix domain. Biochemical Journal, 462(2), 373-384.
- Integration of energy and electron transfer processes in the photosynthetic membrane of Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, 1837, e118-e118.
- Sequestration of multiple RNA recognition motif-containing proteins by C9orf72 repeat expansions.. Brain, 137(Pt 7), 2040-2051. View this article in WRRO
- A cyanobacterial chlorophyll synthase-HliD complex associates with the Ycf39 protein and the YidC/Alb3 insertase.. Plant Cell, 26(3), 1267-1279.
- Cofractionation of HMGB proteins with histone dimers.. Anal Biochem, 447, 98-106.
- Three-dimensional structure of the Rhodobacter sphaeroides RC-LH1-PufX complex: dimerization and quinone channels promoted by PufX.. Biochemistry, 52(43), 7575-7585.
- Affinity filtration coupled with capillary-based affinity purification for the isolation of protein complexes.. Anal Biochem, 439(1), 47-49.
- In vitro reconstitution of Cascade-mediated CRISPR immunity in Streptococcus thermophilus. EMBO Journal, 32(3), 385-394. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of an 8-vinyl reductase involved in bacteriochlorophyll biosynthesis in Rhodobacter sphaeroides and evidence for the existence of a third distinct class of the enzyme.. Biochem J, 450(2), 397-405.
- Extensive histone post-translational modification in honey bees.. Insect Biochem Mol Biol, 43(2), 125-137.
- Efficient purification of chromatin architectural proteins: Histones, HMGB proteins and FKBP3 (FKBP25) immunophilin. RSC Advances, 2(28), 10598-10604.
- Conserved chloroplast open-reading frame ycf54 is required for activity of the magnesium protoporphyrin monomethylester oxidative cyclase in Synechocystis PCC 6803.. J Biol Chem, 287(33), 27823-27833.
- Quantitative proteomic analysis of intracytoplasmic membrane development in Rhodobacter sphaeroides.. Mol Microbiol, 84(6), 1062-1078.
- Rapid resonance Raman microspectroscopy to probe carbon dioxide fixation by single cells in microbial communities.. ISME J, 6(4), 875-885.
- A Burkholderia pseudomallei toxin inhibits helicase activity of translation factor eIF4A.. Science, 334(6057), 821-824. View this article in WRRO
- Characterization and quantification of RNA post-transcriptional modifications using stable isotope labeling of RNA in conjunction with mass spectrometry analysis.. Anal Chem, 83(12), 4894-4901.
- RNA-guided complex from a bacterial immune system enhances target recognition through seed sequence interactions.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 108(25), 10092-10097.
- Structural basis for CRISPR RNA-guided DNA recognition by Cascade. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology, 18(5), 529-536.
- Shotgun proteome analysis utilising mixed mode (reversed phase-anion exchange chromatography) in conjunction with reversed phase liquid chromatography mass spectrometry analysis.. Proteomics, 10(16), 2950-2960.
- Arginine methylation of REF/ALY promotes efficient handover of mRNA to TAP/NXF1.. Nucleic Acids Res, 38(10), 3351-3361. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of arginine and lysine methylation utilizing peptide separations at neutral pH and electron transfer dissociation mass spectrometry.. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom, 21(1), 88-96.
- UIF, a New mRNA export adaptor that works together with REF/ALY, requires FACT for recruitment to mRNA.. Curr Biol, 19(22), 1918-1924.
- Post-translational modifications of the linker histone variants and their association with cell mechanisms. FEBS J, 276(14), 4109-4121.
- Studying the mechanism of RNA separations using RNA chromatography and its application in the analysis of ribosomal RNA and RNA:RNA interactions.. J Chromatogr A, 1216(9), 1377-1382.
- Characterization of post-translational modifications of the linker histories H1 and H5 from chicken erythrocytes using mass spectrometry. J PROTEOME RES, 7(10), 4326-4335.
- Small CRISPR RNAs guide antiviral defense in prokaryotes. SCIENCE, 321(5891), 960-964. View this article in WRRO
- Identification and characterization of sulfolobus solfataricus P2 proteome using multidimensional liquid phase protein separations.. J Proteome Res, 7(6), 2253-2261.
- Multidimensional liquid phase protein separations in conjunction with stable isotope labelling for quantitative proteomics.. Proteomics, 7(21), 3826-3834.
- Regulation of p73-mediated apoptosis by c-Jun N-terminal kinase. BIOCHEM J, 405, 617-623.
- Postcolumn nucleic acid intercalation for the fluorescent detection of nucleic acids using ion pair reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography.. Anal Biochem, 360(2), 282-287.
- Enrichment and analysis of RNA centered on ion pair reverse phase methodology.. RNA, 12(4), 691-696.
- Micro-scale open-tube capillary separations of functional proteins. ANAL BIOCHEM, 350(1), 128-137.
- Effects of sequence and structure in the separation of nucleic acids using ion pair reverse phase liquid chromatography.. J Chromatogr A, 1076(1-2), 83-89.
- Rapid analysis of protein-nucleic acid complexes using MALDI TOF mass spectrometry and ion pair reverse phase liquid chromatography.. J Biochem Biophys Methods, 58(1), 39-48.
- Identification of nuclear protein complexes using open tube capillary chromatography. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings, 1917.
- The effect of tautomeric constant on the specificity of nucleotide incorporation during DNA replication: support for the rare tautomer hypothesis of substitution mutagenesis.. J Mol Biol, 326(5), 1389-1401.
- The RuvABC resolvasome.. Eur J Biochem, 269(22), 5492-5501.
- Use of fluorescent DNA-intercalating dyes in the analysis of DNA via ion-pair reversed-phase denaturing high-performance liquid chromatography.. Anal Biochem, 309(2), 248-252.
- Zebularine: a novel DNA methylation inhibitor that forms a covalent complex with DNA methyltransferases.. J Mol Biol, 321(4), 591-599.
- Holliday junction binding and processing by the RuvA protein of Mycoplasma pneumoniae.. Eur J Biochem, 269(5), 1525-1533.
- High-throughput analysis of nucleic acid modification reactions using ion-pair reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.. Anal Biochem, 301(2), 290-297.
- RNA footprinting analysis using ion pair reverse phase liquid chromatography.. RNA, 8(2), 247-251.
- Rapid, high precision analysis of DNA and RNA footprinting reactions utilising the WAVE (R) Nucleic Acid Fragment Analysis System.. AM J HUM GENET, 69(4), 468-468.
- Rapid analysis of biochemical modifications in DNA fragments - Visualisation of phosphorylation and cytosine deamination in single 15 minute analyses.. AM J HUM GENET, 69(4), 462-462.
- Analysis of nucleic acid modification enzyme reactions using IP RP HPLC. J MED GENET, 38, S71-S71.
- Enhancing the catalytic repertoire of nucleic acids: a systematic study of linker length and rigidity.. Nucleic Acids Res, 29(7), 1565-1573.
- Isolation of single-stranded DNA using denaturing DNA chromatography.. Anal Biochem, 284(1), 164-167.
- Small Crispr Rnas Guide Antiviral Defense in Prokaryotes. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, 2(6), 531-535.
- Production of Trimeric SARS‐CoV‐2 Spike Protein by CHO Cells for Serological COVID‐19 Testing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- Correction: Analysis of long dsRNA produced in vitro and in vivo using atomic force microscopy in conjunction with ion-pair reverse-phase HPLC. The Analyst, 144(22), 6773-6773.
- Analysis of long dsRNA produced in vitro and in vivo using atomic force microscopy in conjunction with ion-pair reverse-phase HPLC. Analyst. View this article in WRRO
- Chromatin: The Biophysical Approach to Elucidating Structure and Function In Leroy NH & Fournier NT (Ed.), Cell cycle control (pp. 411-428). New York: Nova Biomedical.
Conference proceedings papers
- Defining the molecular targets for plant cysteine proteinases on parasitic nematode extracellular matrix. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY, Vol. 96(2) (pp A9-A10)
- Characterization of Streptococcus thermophilus Csm complex mediated CRISPR interference in vitro. FEBS JOURNAL, Vol. 281 (pp 678-678)
- 411: Epigenetic mechanisms of cadmium urothelial carcinogenesis. European Journal of Cancer, Vol. 50 (pp S98-S98)
- Oxidative stress and DNA damage in cerebral white matter lesions of the ageing human brain. NEUROPATHOLOGY AND APPLIED NEUROBIOLOGY, Vol. 40 (pp 33-34)
- Oxidative stress and DNA damage in cerebral white matter lesions of the ageing human brain. NEUROPATHOLOGY AND APPLIED NEUROBIOLOGY, Vol. 39 (pp 36-37)
- Analysis of the RNA component of human telomerase and its associated activity.. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HUMAN GENETICS, Vol. 71(4) (pp 333-333)