MA MEng (Cantab), PhD, AMIChemE
I am a senior lecturer in Chemical Engineering and the Faculty Director for Women in Engineering. My main research interests lie in whole systems analysis, clean energy technologies and thermochemical and electrochemical cycles for hydrogen production and carbon dioxide utilisation. Recent projects include: the EPSRC funded 4CU project, investigating utilisation of carbon dioxide to form fuel; the European HycycleS project, looking at key components for the Sulfur Iodine and Hybrid Sulphur cycles for hydrogen production; and the KNOO (Keeping the Nuclear Option Open) project, investigating nuclear hydrogen production.
I was born and brought up in Teesside and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a first class MEng in Chemical Engineering. I spent a year in Sweden before embarking on my PhD at the University of Sheffield. Following my PhD I was a postdoctoral research associate for two years, becoming a lecturer in 2009 and a senior lecturer in 2014. During this time I was the Support Teaching Coordinator, 4th Year Tutor and Director of Student Support. I led the department’s successful Athena SWAN silver award submission in 2013 and became the Faculty Director for Women in Engineering in 2014. I took a year’s maternity leave March 2015 – 2016 after the birth of my son.
As Director for Women in Engineering I lead a team of people working to improve equality and diversity, with a particular focus on gender equality. We strive to be the number one place for women to work and study engineering and organise numerous outreach events and activities to increase the proportion of female staff and students and put in place long-lasting cultural changes.
I was a member of the British Orienteering team for 16 years, ran 7 world championships and have two gold medals from the World University Championships. I have now retired from international racing but still love to go orienteering and am actively involved in coaching local and university athletes and am a mentor on the University Elite Sports Performance Scheme.
- Cumming DJ, Thompson AR & Rothman RH (2016) Nickel Impregnated Cerium-Doped Strontium Titanate Fuel Electrode: Direct Carbon Dioxide Electrolysis and Co-Electrolysis. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 163(11), F3057-F3061. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Ramos-Sanchez VH, Jeans R, Elder RH, Zaragoza-Galán G & Devonshire R (2015) A unique approach to the vapour phase of the HIx feed of the sulfur iodine thermochemical cycle: A Raman spectroscopy study. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40(4), 1657-1664.
- Cuéllar-Franca R, Dimitriou I, García-Gutierrez P, Elder RH, Allen RWK & Azapagic A (2015) Carbon Capture and Utilisation: Application of Life Cycle Thinking to Process Design. Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, 37, 1457-1462.
- Cumming DJ, Tumilson C, Taylor SFR, Chansai S, Call AV, Jacquemin J, Hardacre C & Elder RH (2015) Development of a diffuse reflectance infrared fourier transform spectroscopy (DRIFTS) cell for the in situ analysis of co-electrolysis in a solid oxide cell. Faraday Discuss., 182, 97-111. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Cumming DJ & Elder RH (2015) Thermal imaging of solid oxide cells operating under electrolysis conditions. Journal of Power Sources, 280, 387-392. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Dimitriou I, Garcia-Gutierrez P, Elder R, Cuellar-Franca R, Azapagic A & Allen R (2015) Carbon dioxide utilisation for production of transport fuels: process and economic analysis. Energy and Environmental Science, 8(6), 1775-1789. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- He G, Elder RH, Cumming DJ & Allen RWK (2014) Voltage pulsing for performance recovery of yttria-stabilised zirconia membranes in oxygen/sulfur dioxide separation. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39(28), 15670-15680.
- Roeb M, Thomey D, De Oliveira L, Sattler C, Fleury G, Pra F, Tochon P, Brevet A, Roux G, Gruet N, Mansilla C, Lenaour F, Poitou S, Allen RWK, Elder R, Karagiannakis G, Agrafiotis C, Zygogianni A, Pagkoura C, Konstandopoulos AG, Giaconia A, Sau S, Tarquini P, Haussener S, Steinfeld A, Canadas I, Orden A & Ferrato M (2013) Erratum: Sulphur based thermochemical cycles: Development and assessment of key components of the process (International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2013) 38 (6197-6204)). International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38(20), 8478.