Professor Joseph P.A. Harrity
Department of Chemistry
Professor of Synthetic Organic Chemistry
+44 114 222 9496
Full contact details
Department of Chemistry
13 Brook Hill
Prof. Harrity obtained his BSc (Hons.) in Chemistry from the University of Strathclyde in 1991, followed by a PhD from the same institution in 1994. He was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Boston College, USA from 1994 to 1997, after which he became a Lecturer at the University of Sheffield. Here he was promoted to Senior Lecturer and Reader. He was promoted to Professor in 2009.
In October 2012, Prof. Harrity was appointed to a 3 year Royal Society Industry Fellowship to undertake a collaboration with Peakdale Molecular. During this time, he worked with Peakdale to develop novel functionalised intermediates on commercially relevant scales, thereby introducing new scaffolds into their catalogue portfolio.
- Pfizer Discovery Award (2004)
- AstraZeneca Research Award (2006)
- Royal Society Industry Fellowship (2012-2015)
- RSC Bader Award (2018)
- Research interests
Synthesis provides the opportunity to design and prepare specific molecules whilst exploring novel processes that further develop the field of organic chemistry. In this context, our programme has concentrated on new and selective carbon-carbon bond forming strategies for the preparation of functionalised synthetic Intermediates. A summary of projects currently under investigation is outlined below:
Synthesis of Heteroaromatic Boronic acid Derivatives: Aromatic boronic acids are extremely useful and versatile substrates in modern organic chemistry. We have developed a strategically novel approach to these compounds through cycloaddition reactions of alkynylboronic esters. To date, this approach has allowed us to generate a range of boronic acids based on benzene, pyridine, pyrazole, thiophene, indoles amongst others.
Natural products Synthesis: We have developed a [3 + 3] annelation approach to functionalised nitrogen and oxygen heterocycles. This chemistry has provided a platform for the synthesis of a range of alkaloid and marine natural products.
- Discovery of a first-in-class potent small molecule antagonist against the adrenomedullin-2 receptor. ACS Pharmacology & Translational Science.
- The influence of hypoxia and energy depletion on the response of endothelial cells to the vascular disrupting agent combretastatin A-4-phosphate. Scientific Reports, 10(1).
- Design and synthesis of novel pyrazole based heterotricycles and their derivatization via automated library synthesis. ChemMedChem.
- A practical and versatile method for the C–H sulfenylation of imidazo[1,2-a]pyridines. Synlett. View this article in WRRO
- Exploiting synergistic catalysis for an ambient temperature photocycloaddition to pyrazoles. Chemistry – A European Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Exploiting hydrazones to improve the efficiency of 6π-electrocyclization reactions of 1-azatrienes. Organic Letters, 21(17), 6821-6824. View this article in WRRO
- Cover Feature: Evaluation of Sydnone-Based Analogues of Combretastatin A-4 Phosphate (CA4P) as Vascular Disrupting Agents for Use in Cancer Therapy (ChemMedChem 24/2018). ChemMedChem, 13(24), 2600-2600. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of Sydnone-Based Analogs of Combretastatin A-4 Phosphate (CA4P) as Vascular Disrupting Agents for Use in Cancer Therapy. ChemMedChem. View this article in WRRO
- A convergent strategy towards febrifugine and related compounds.. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- Synthetic and Mechanistic Investigation of an Oxime Ether Electrocyclization Approach to Heteroaromatic Boronic Acid Derivatives. Chemistry - A European Journal, 24(38), 9530-9534. View this article in WRRO
- Development of an Amine-Catalyzed Regioselective Synthesis of Pyrroles. Organic Letters, 20(1), 201-203. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of Bifunctional Thiophenes via Fiesselmann Condensation of Ynone Trifluoroborate Salts. Organic Letters, 20(1), 198-200. View this article in WRRO
- Accounting for Different Reactivities of Sulfinate and Thiosulfate Salts in Regioselective Azetidine Coupling via C–H Sulfenylation of Indoles. Synlett. View this article in WRRO
- Frontispiece: Utilizing Palladium-Stabilized Zwitterions for the Construction of N-Heterocycles. Chemistry - A European Journal, 23(56). View this article in WRRO
- Utilizing Palladium-Stabilized Zwitterions for the Construction of N-Heterocycles. Chemistry - A European Journal, 23(56), 13830-13857. View this article in WRRO
- Expanding available pyrazole substitution patterns by sydnone cycloaddition reactions. Tetrahedron, 73(22), 3160-3172. View this article in WRRO
- A Mild and Regiospecific Synthesis of Pyrazoleboranes.. Chemistry - A European Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of aminopyrazoles from sydnones and ynamides.. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 15(7), 1575-1579. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis and Modular Reactivity of Pyrazole 5-Trifluoroborates: Intermediates for the Preparation of Fully Functionalized Pyrazoles. The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 82(3), 1688-1696. View this article in WRRO
- Metal Acetylides in Cycloaddition Reactions. Synthesis. View this article in WRRO
- Oxazoline-Promoted Rh-Catalyzed C–H Amidation of Benzene Derivatives with Sulfonamides and Trifluoroacetamide. A Comparative Study. The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 81(22), 10641-10650. View this article in WRRO
- Sydnone Cycloaddition Route to Pyrazole-Based Analogs of Combretastatin A4. J Med Chem, 59(20), 9473-9488. View this article in WRRO
- Frontispiece: A Pd-Catalyzed Synthesis of Functionalized Piperidines. Chemistry - A European Journal, 22(37). View this article in WRRO
- A Pd-Catalyzed Synthesis of Functionalized Piperidines. Chemistry, 22(37), 13000-13003. View this article in WRRO
- A Modular Class of Fluorescent Difluoroboranes: Synthesis, Structure, Optical Properties, Theoretical Calculations and Applications for Biological Imaging. Chemistry - A European Journal, 22(35), 12430-12438. View this article in WRRO
- Recent developments in transition metal catalysis for quinazolinone synthesis. Org. Biomol. Chem.. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of Functionalized Pyridines via a Regioselective Oxazoline Promoted C–H Amidation Reaction. Organic Letters, 18(14), 3434-3437. View this article in WRRO
- An alkyne diboration/6π-electrocyclization strategy for the synthesis of pyridine boronic acid derivatives. Angewandte Chemie, 128(19), 5928-5930. View this article in WRRO
- An Alkyne Diboration/6π‐Electrocyclization Strategy for the Synthesis of Pyridine Boronic Acid Derivatives. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 55(19), 5834-5836. View this article in WRRO
- Cu-catalysed pyrazole synthesis in continuous flow. Catal. Sci. Technol., 6(13), 4718-4723. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation of a Late‐Stage Derivatization Approach to Isatogens: Discovery of New Reaction Pathways. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016(1), 83-86. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis and Cycloaddition Reactions of Stabilized Münchnones. European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016(16), 2789-2792. View this article in WRRO
- A Mild and Regioselective Route to Functionalized Quinazolines. Chemistry a European Journal, 21(41), 14342-14346. View this article in WRRO
- Direct Arylation of Sydnones with Aryl Chlorides toward Highly Substituted Pyrazoles. The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 80(4), 2467-2472. View this article in WRRO
- Cu-Promoted Sydnone Cycloadditions of Alkynes: Scope and Mechanism Studies. Chemistry - A European Journal, 21(8), 3257-3263. View this article in WRRO
- 2-Iodoisatogens: Versatile Intermediates for the Synthesis of Nitrogen Heterocycles. Organic Letters, 17(2), 390-392. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation of Alkyne Regioselectivity in the Ni-Catalyzed Benzannulation of Cyclobutenones. Chemistry - A European Journal, 21(6), 2701-2704. View this article in WRRO
- A mechanistic study of the Lewis base-directed cycloaddition of 2-pyrones and alkynylboranes.. J Am Chem Soc, 136(24), 8642-8653. View this article in WRRO
- Studies on the stereochemical assignment of 3-acylidene 2-oxindoles.. Org Biomol Chem, 12(20), 3201-3210. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of an azabicyclic framework towards (±)-actinophyllic acid. Tetrahedron Letters, 55(6), 1255-1257. View this article in WRRO
- Development of a Mild and Versatile Directed Cycloaddition Approach to Pyridines. Chemistry - A European Journal, 20(40), 12889-12893. View this article in WRRO
- Pd-Catalyzed kinetic resolution of cyclic enol ethers. An enantioselective route to functionalised pyrans.. Chem Commun (Camb), 50(21), 2735-2737.
- Lewis base directed cycloaddition reactions of 2-pyrones and alkynylaluminum reagents.. Org Lett, 15(16), 4222-4225. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis of 4-fluoromethylsydnones and their participation in alkyne cycloaddition reactions.. J Org Chem, 78(8), 4049-4064.
- Synthesis and cycloaddition chemistry of oxetanyl-substituted sydnones. Tetrahedron Letters.
- A furan Diels-Alder cycloaddition approach to scyphostatin analogues.. Org Biomol Chem, 10(45), 9058-9066.
- Synthesis of ynone trifluoroborates toward functionalized pyrazoles.. Org Lett, 14(20), 5354-5357.
- A general and regioselective synthesis of 5-trifluoromethyl-pyrazoles.. Org Lett, 14(18), 4858-4861.
- A Mild Benzannulation through Directed Cycloaddition Reactions. Angewandte Chemie, 124(26), 6508-6511.
- A mild benzannulation through directed cycloaddition reactions.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 51(26), 6402-6405.
- Scalable synthesis of functionalised 2-pyridones via [4+2] cycloaddition reactions of 2-pyrazinones and alkynylboronates. Tetrahedron.
- Investigation of the Origins of Regiochemical Control in [4+2] Cycloadditions of 2-Pyrones and Alkynylboronates. Synthesis, 44.
- Stereoselective approaches to 2,3,6-trisubstituted piperidines. An enantiospecific synthesis of quinolizidine (-)-217A.. Chem Commun (Camb), 47(35), 9804-9806.
- A Nickel‐Catalyzed Benzannulation Approach to Aromatic Boronic Esters. Angewandte Chemie, 123(12), 2821-2824.
- A nickel-catalyzed benzannulation approach to aromatic boronic esters.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 50(12), 2769-2772.
- Regioselectivity studies of sydnone cycloaddition reactions of azine-substituted alkynes. Tetrahedron Letters, 52(13), 1506-1508.
- Regioselectivity studies of sydnone cycloaddition reactions of azine-substituted alkynes. Tetrahedron Letters.
- A borylative cyclisation towards indole boronic esters.. Chem Commun (Camb), 46(46), 8770-8772.
- Palladium-catalyzed [1,3]-O-to-C rearrangement of pyrans toward functionalized cyclohexanones.. Org Lett, 12(21), 4832-4835.
- An alkynylboronate cycloaddition strategy to functionalised benzyne derivatives.. Chem Commun (Camb), 46(28), 5154-5156.
- Ambient-temperature cobalt-catalyzed cycloaddition strategies to aromatic boronic esters.. J Org Chem, 75(11), 3893-3896.
- Alkyne [3 + 2] cycloadditions of iodosydnones toward functionalized 1,3,5-trisubstituted pyrazoles.. J Org Chem, 75(3), 984-987.
- On the use of 2-(trimethylsilyl)iodobenzene as a benzyne precursor. Tetrahedron Letters.
- Recent developments in the chemistry of sydnones. Tetrahedron, 66(3), 553-568.
- Ambient temperature nitrogen-directed difluoroalkynylborane Carboni-Lindsey cycloaddition reactions.. Org Lett, 12(1), 160-163.
- A divergent strategy to the withasomnines.. Org Biomol Chem, 7(19), 4052-4056.
- Investigation of the scope and regiochemistry of alkynylboronate cycloadditions with sydnones.. J Am Chem Soc, 131(22), 7762-7769.
- A cycloaddition route to novel triazole boronic esters.. Chem Commun (Camb)(4), 436-438.
- Cross coupling of bromo sydnones: development of a flexible route toward functionalized pyrazoles.. J Org Chem, 74(1), 396-400.
- A direct route to triazole boronic esters and their application in the synthesis of small molecule arrays. Tetrahedron Letters, 50(39), 5539-5541.
- An enantiospecific approach to triazolylalanine derivatives. Synthesis(1), 133-137.
- Investigation of an organomagnesium-based [3 + 3] annelation to pyrans and its application in the synthesis of rhopaloic acid A.. J Org Chem, 73(5), 1946-1953.
- A [4 + 2] cycloaddition strategy to pyridine boronic ester derivatives.. Org Lett, 10(5), 781-783.
- Investigation of a flexible enantiospecific approach to aziridines.. J Org Chem, 73(3), 1128-1130.
- Investigation of a tandem iminium ion allylation approach to piperidines. Synlett(17), 2647-2650.
- A 2-pyrone cycloaddition route to functionalised aromatic boronic esters. Tetrahedron, 64(5), 866-873.
- Development of a [3+3] approach to tetrahydropyridines and its application in indolizidine alkaloid synthesis. Tetrahedron, 64(13), 2951-2961.
- Cycloaddition and benzannulation approaches to functionalised aromatic compounds. Tetrahedron, 64(5), 767.
- A Sydnone Cycloaddition Route to Pyrazole Boronic Esters. Angewandte Chemie, 119(45), 8810-8812.
- A [3 + 3] annelation approach to (+)-rhopaloic acid B.. Org Lett, 9(20), 3941-3943.
- Investigation of the scope of a Co-mediated O-->C ring-contraction.. J Org Chem, 72(9), 3467-3477.
- The participation of alkynylboronates in inverse electron demand [4 + 2] cycloadditions: a mechanistic study.. J Am Chem Soc, 129(9), 2691-2699.
- Investigation of the scope of an enantioselective Co-mediated O→C rearrangement reaction. Tetrahedron Letters, 48(24), 4165-4168.
- Substituent effects in Carboni-Lindsey reactions of 1,2,4,5-tetrazines and aryl-substituted alkynylboronates. Synlett(18), 2885-2887.
- O→C rearrangements: a powerful strategy for the synthesis of functionalised carbocycles. Tetrahedron, 63(15), 3081-3092.
- A sydnone cycloaddition route to pyrazole boronic esters.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 46(45), 8656-8658.
- Pd-catalysed [3 + 3] annelations in the stereoselective synthesis of indolizidines.. Beilstein J Org Chem, 3, 8.
- A novel approach to functionalised pyridazinone arrays.. Org Biomol Chem, 4(23), 4278-4280.
- Development of a stereoselective co-mediated dihydropyran ring contraction.. Org Lett, 8(24), 5597-5600.
- An alkynylboronic ester cycloaddition route to functionalised aromatic boronic esters.. Chem Commun (Camb)(31), 3323-3325.
- A [3 + 3] annelation approach to tetrahydropyridines.. Org Lett, 8(14), 3089-3091.
- Highly substituted pyridazines (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed 2005, 44, 3889). LETT ORG CHEM, 3(2), 78-78.
- Furan Diels-Alder cycloaddition approach to the highly oxygenated core of scyphostatin. Synlett(14), 2272-2274.
- Formal synthesis of (±)-perhydrohistrionicotoxin via a stepwise [3+3] annelation strategy. Tetrahedron Letters, 47(3), 331-333.
- Development of the scope of a co-mediated O-->C rearrangement reaction.. J Org Chem, 70(24), 10046-10056.
- Development of a stepwise [3 + 3] annelation to functionalized piperidines.. Org Lett, 7(14), 2993-2996.
- Synthesis of Highly Substituted Pyridazines through Alkynyl Boronic Ester Cycloaddition Reactions. Angewandte Chemie, 117(25), 3957-3960.
- Synthesis of highly substituted pyridazines through alkynyl boronic ester cycloaddition reactions.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 44(25), 3889-3892.
- [3 + 3] Cycloadditions and related strategies in alkaloid natural product synthesis.. Org Biomol Chem, 3(8), 1349-1358.
- Development of a flexible approach to Nuphar alkaloids via two enantiospecific piperidine-forming reactions.. J Org Chem, 70(1), 207-213.
- Investigation of the scope of a [3+2] cycloaddition approach to isoxazole boronic esters. Tetrahedron, 61(28), 6707-6714.
- A metal-free cycloaddition approach to highly substituted aromatic boronic esters. Synlett(5), 860-862.
- Ru complexes bearing bidentate carbenes: from innocent curiosity to uniquely effective catalysts for olefin metathesis.. Org Biomol Chem, 2(1), 8-23.
- A diastereoselective tandem RCM approach to spiropiperidines. Tetrahedron, 60(40), 8869-8880.
- Microwave promoted amination of 3-bromoisoxazoles. Tetrahedron Letters, 45(16), 3189-3191.
- Investigation of Diastereoselective Tandem Ring Closing Metathesis Reactions Toward the Synthesis of Functionalised Spirocyclic Piperidines. Synlett(1), 140-142.
- A concise asymmetric route to Nuphar alkaloids. A formal synthesis of (-)-deoxynupharidine.. Org Lett, 5(19), 3427-3429.
- Development of a [3+3] cycloaddition strategy toward functionalized piperidines.. J Org Chem, 68(11), 4286-4292.
- Investigation of a stereoselective co-mediated rearrangement reaction.. J Org Chem, 68(11), 4392-4399.
- Tandem cobalt mediated rearrangement and Pauson-Khand reaction for the synthesis of functionalized polycyclic systems.. Chem Commun (Camb)(14), 1546-1547.
- A new approach to functionalized spiropiperidines through tandem RCM and nitrogen-directed reactions.. Chem Commun (Camb)(14), 1542-1543.
- . Angewandte Chemie, 114(14), 2696-2699.
- Development of a co-mediated rearrangement reaction.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 41(14), 2584-2587.
- 5-Butyl-4-(4,4,5,5-tetramethyl-1,3,2-dioxaborolan-2-yl)-3-(2,4,6-trimethylphenyl)isoxazole.. Acta Crystallogr C, 58(Pt 3), o168-o169.
- Synthesis of 3-haloisoxazole boronic esters: Novel heterocyclic synthetic intermediates containing independently variable functionality. Synlett(12), 2071-2073.
- Unusual macrocyclic spirocycles from tandem metathesis reactions. Tetrahedron Letters, 43(44), 7851-7854.
- A regioselective cycloaddition route to isoxazoleboronic esters.. Chem Commun (Camb)(17), 1558-1559.
- Synthesis of novel quinone boronic ester derivatives via a highly regioselective Cr-mediated benzannulation reaction and their application in Pd-catalyzed coupling processes.. J Org Chem, 66(10), 3525-3532.
- Synthesis of functionalised piperidines through a [3+3] cycloaddition strategy. Synlett(10), 1596-1598.
- Employment of a cyclobutene ring-opening metathesis reaction towards a concise synthesis of (±)-sporochnol A. Tetrahedron Letters, 42(51), 9055-9057.
- The synthesis of angularly fused tricyclic compounds via tandem ring closing metathesis reactions. Chemical Communications(12), 1035-1036.
- A novel and highly regioselective Cr-mediated route to functionalised quinone boronic ester derivatives. Chemical Communications(20), 2107-2108.
- Chromium-mediated β-lactone synthesis using ultrasonication. Tetrahedron Letters, 40(17), 3481-3484.
- A recyclable Ru-based metathesis catalyst. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 121(4), 791-799.
- Spirocycle assembly through selective tandem ring closing metathesis reactions. Tetrahedron Letters, 40(16), 3247-3250.
- Preparation, characterization, and metathesis activity of a novel, recyclable ruthenium alkylidene complex.. ABSTR PAP AM CHEM S, 216, U393-U393.
- Chromenes through metal-catalyzed reactions of styrenyl ethers. Mechanism and utility in synthesis. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 120(10), 2343-2351.
- Ru-catalyzed rearrangement of styrenyl ethers. Enantioselective synthesis of chromenes through Zr- and Ru-catalyzed processes. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 119(6), 1488-1489.
- Total synthesis of parvaquone and the serendipitous discovery of a novel chromium-mediated method for β-lactone formation. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 532(1-2), 219-227.
- Zirconium-catalyzed kinetic resolution of cyclic allylic ethers. An enantioselective route to unsaturated medium ring systems. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 118(15), 3779-3780.
- Discovery of Chiral Catalysts through Ligand Diversity: Ti-Catalyzed Enantioselective Addition of TMSCN to meso Epoxides. Angewandte Chemie (International Edition in English), 35(15), 1668-1671.
- Facile Synthesis of Functionalised β-Lactones; Novel Cyclisations of Chromium Carbene Complexes with Propargylic Alcohols. Synlett, 1996(12), 1184-1186.
- Promotion of the chromium carbene dötz annulation reaction under dry state adsorption conditions. Tetrahedron Letters, 34(18), 2995-2998.
- Promotion of the chromium carbene Dötz annulation reaction under sonochemical and dry state adsorption conditions. Tetrahedron, 49(25), 5565-5576.
- Synthesis and Stabilities of 3-Borylated Indoles. Synlett, 27(11), 1674-1676. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis and indole coupling reactions of azetidine and oxetane sulfinate salts. Chemical Communications, 51(27), 5914-5916. View this article in WRRO
- Synthesis, Characterisation and Reactions of Phosphine-Substituted Alkynylboronates and Alkynyltrifluoroborate Salts. Molecules, 19(12), 21324-21334.
- Teaching interests
- Teaching activities
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Introduction to organic synthesis 2 (Level 2)
This lecture course will discuss the α-functionalisation of carbonyl derivatives and related compounds. Specifically, alkylation and acylation reactions will be introduced and their applications in synthesis described. Simple examples highlighting chemoselective oxidation and reduction processes will also be discussed.
- Aromatics in Synthesis (Level 3)
This course explores the react
- Stereoselective Synthesis (Level 4)
This module gives a broad overview on current methods for controlling stereochemistry in organic synthesis. Key concepts in controlling relative and absolute stereochemistry will be introduced and illustrated.
- Tutorials: Level 1 General Chemistry.
- Level 2 Organic Laboratories
- Level 3 Organic Laboratories
- Level 4 Research Project
- Introduction to organic synthesis 2 (Level 2)