Dr Abigail Hathway
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
+44 114 222 5702
Full contact details
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building (Broad Lane Building)
The most powerful way to fight climate change is to provide students with the knowledge and skills to engineer buildings holistically and, to contribute to decisions that will have implications on the sustainability of buildings.
Dr Abigail Hathway
Abigail completed her PhD at the University of Leeds, researching CFD modelling of bioaerosols released in hospital environments due to nursing activities.
Her research aims to ensure that in the drive for energy efficient buildings we maintain healthy indoor environments for the occupants.
Her focus is on building physics, with a particular interest in how the activity of people within a building and its interior spaces impact upon air flow. This focus on fluid flow in the built environment, incorporates building simulation with experimental and field work.
The role of human activity on indoor air continues to be an active research interest, and has developed to consider a variety of built environments, often through interdisciplinary collaboration.
Her main interest is in the interactions of people with their building and the resulting impacts on air flow across the building envelope and between interior spaces.
This includes researching the role of automated building systems to improve the comfort and quality of internal environments at low energy cost.
- A post-occupancy study of ventilation effectiveness from high-resolution CO2 monitoring at live theatre events to mitigate airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Building and Environment, 223.
- Dispatch Strategies for the Utilisation of Battery Storage Systems in Smart Grid Optimised Buildings. Buildings, 11(10), 433.
- Estimating evapotranspiration from commonly occurring urban plant species using porometry and canopy stomatal conductance. Water, 13(16). View this article in WRRO
- Modelling uncertainty in the relative risk of exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus by airborne aerosol transmission in well mixed indoor air. Building and Environment, 191.
- GPML: an XML-based standard for the interchange of genetic programming trees. Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, 21(4), 605-627. View this article in WRRO
- Model predictive control of non-domestic heating using genetic programming dynamic models. Applied Soft Computing. View this article in WRRO
- Battery Storage Systems in Smart Grid Optimised Buildings. Energy Procedia, 151, 23-30. View this article in WRRO
- An experimental study of the flow induced by the motion of a hinged door separating two rooms. Building and Environment, 131, 220-230. View this article in WRRO
- Model-predictive control for non-domestic buildings: a critical review and prospects. Building Research and Information, 45(5), 556-571. View this article in WRRO
- The environmental impact of phenolic foam insulation boards. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers (London), 170(2), 91-103. View this article in WRRO
- Experimental and Modelling Investigations of Air Exchange and Infection Transfer due to Hinged-Door Motion in Office and Hospital Settings. International Journal of Ventilation, 14(2), 127-140. View this article in WRRO
- An environmental impact comparison of external wall insulation types. Building and Environment, 85, 182-189.
- Acoustics of weirs: Potential implications for micro-hydropower noise. Renewable Energy, 71, 351-360. View this article in WRRO
- Monitoring Performance of a combined water recycling system. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, 167(3), 108-117. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of household energy efficiency measures on health: A meta-analysis. Energy Policy.
- Chemical versus biological contamination indoors: Trade-offs versus win-win opportunities for improving indoor air quality. Indoor Air, 23(3), 173-174.
- The role of nursing activities on the bioaerosol production in hospital wards. Indoor and Built Environment, 22(2), 410-421.
- Coupling real-time 3D landscape models with microclimate simulations. International Journal of E-Planning Research, 2(1), 1-19.
- The interaction of rivers and urban form in mitigating the Urban Heat Island effect: A UK case study. Building and Environment, 58, 14-22.
- The role of urban microclimates in reducing CO emssions from cities. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology (New Series), 18(Supplement 2), 1-5.
- CFD simulation of airborne pathogen transport due to human activities. Building and Environment, 46(12), 2500-2511.
- CFD simulation of airborne pathogen transport due to human activities. Building and Environment.
- Towards a generic rainfall-runoff model for green roofs. Water Science & Technology, 62, 898-905.
- The ventilation of multiple-bed hospital wards: Review and analysis. American Journal of Infection Control, 36, 250-259.
- Bioaerosol production on a respiratory ward. Indoor and Built Environment, 15(1), 35-40.
- Measurement and rapid assessment of indoor air quality at mass gathering events to assess ventilation performance and reduce aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 014362442211379-014362442211379.
Conference proceedings papers
- d(Tree)-by-dx : automatic and exact differentiation of genetic programming trees. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intellgence. León, Spain, 4 September 2019 - 6 September 2019. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Big Data and Model Predictive Control for Improved Building Performance. 2018 Stretching the Envelope
- Model identification for the control of naturally ventilated buildings. 14th International Conference of IBPSA - Building Simulation 2015, BS 2015, Conference Proceedings (pp 573-580)
- CFD Simulation of airflow due to door motion using a momentum source method. 14th International Conference of IBPSA - Building Simulation 2015, BS 2015, Conference Proceedings (pp 911-916)
- Towards understanding the role of human activity on indoor air flows: A case study of door motion based on both field and experimental activities. Indoor Air 2014 - 13th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate (pp 435-442)
- Educating Engineers for the Challenges of Low Carbon Environments.. Sustainable Structures Symposium. Portland, Oregon,USA, 17 April 2014 - 19 May 2014.
- Exceeding energy consumption design expectations. International Conference for Enhanced Building Operation. Montreal, 8 October 2013 - 11 October 2013.
- The use of machine learning in model predictive control for the operation of non-domestic buildings. FutureBuild 2013. Bath, UK, 4 September 2013 - 6 September 2013.
- The environmental impact of retrofitting solid wall homes. Engineering Sustainability 2013. Pittsburgh USA, 7 April 2013 - 9 April 2013.
- Window use in single person offices: Do occupants control personal ventilation to provide adequate IAQ?. Healthy Buildings 2012. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 8 July 2012 - 12 July 2012.
- Acoustic impact of an urban micro hydro scheme. World Renewable Energy Congress 2011. Linkoping, Sweden
- Environmental thermal impact assessment of regenerated urban form: A case study in Sheffield. World Renewable Energy Congress 2011. Linkoping, Sweden
- Urban river microclimates. PLEA 2011 - Architecture and Sustainable Development, Conference Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture (pp 183-187)
- Beyond drainage: The role of SUDS in the mitigation of Urban Heat Island effects. Cities of the Future: Sustainable Urban Planning and Water Management. Stockholm, Sweden
- Simulation of bioaerosol release and transport in a four-bay hospital ward using CFD and a multi-zone ventilation with quantification of infection risk. 9th International Conference and Exhibition - Healthy Buildings 2009, HB 2009
- Towards a generic rainfall runoff model for green roofs. International Conference on Urban Drainage Modelling. Tokyo, Japan
- CFD modelling of a hospital ward: assessing risk from bacteria produced from respiratory and activity sources. Indoor Air. Copenhagen, Denmark
- Bioaerosol production from routine activities within a hospital ward. Indoor Air. Copenhagen, Denmark
- CFD modelling of transient pathogen release in indoor environments due to human activity. Roomvent 2007 10th International Conference on Air Distribution in Rooms. Helsinki, Finland
- Sensitivity analysis of building physical parameters to maximize heating energy saving using MPC. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Energy Harvesting, Storage, and Transfer (EHST'19), 18 June 2019 - 19 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO GPML: An XML-based Standard for the Interchange of Genetic Programming Trees.
- Research group
Resources, Infrastructure Systems and built Environments Discipline
- Potential PhD offerings
Beyond Drainage: The Impact Of Suds On Urban Microclimates
Urban stormwater management increasingly makes use of SuDS (Sustainable Drainage Systems), which often incorporate open water and/or vegetation. Evapotranspiration from SuDS is expected to have a beneficial (cooling) impact on the urban microclimate, and may also have benefits for the indoor climate in adjacent buildings. The project will use a range of modelling tools (and possibly some experimental work) to quantify these effects.