Mr Jon Carr
Senior University Teacher
Institution of Structural Engineers Yorkshire Regional Group Chair for 2016
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 0251
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
BEng MPhil CEng MIStructE
Jon joined the Department in 2011, having gained over 20 years experience in industry as a consulting Structural Engineer, specialising in the design of building structures. During this time he worked on a diverse range of projects (most notably in the Education and Sport & Leisure sectors), and achieved Chartered status in 1995.
He has been a visiting lecturer in the Department since 2007, teaching the CIV321 module on `Multi Storey Building Design´. Jon also worked as a Research Associate in the Department from 1992-93, where he was awarded an MPhil for his work on `The design of semi-rigidly connected columns in multi-storey, non-sway, steel framed buildings´.
When not teaching, he continues to practice structural design under the banner of `Jon Carr Structural Design´ (see link above for further details).
Activities and Distinctions
- Senior University Teacher in Structural Design
- University of Sheffield, Faculty of Engineering: Award for Excellence in Teaching (2012)
- IStructE ‘Sir Arnold Waters Medal’ for best presentation at any branch meeting during 2003/04 session.
- IStructE award for best presentation at Yorkshire branch meetings during 2003/04 session.
- CIV3201, CIV3202, CIV3203 and CIV3204 – Integrated Design Project (SMR)
- CIV321 – Multi-Storey Building design (SMR)
- Reynolds P, Pavic A & Carr J (2007) Experimental dynamic analysis of the Kingston Communications Stadium. Structural Engineer, 85(8), 33-39.
- Carr J & Reynolds P (2007) Design and construction of the Kingston Communications Stadium, Hull. Structural Engineer, 85(8), 28-32.
- Carr JF (2004) Hull Stadium. New Steel Construction Magazine, 12.
Conference proceedings papers
- Sakantamis K, Popovic Larsen O & Carr JF (2006) Modular components for a generic small rail-linked transport interchange site - an exercise in designing for adaptability. The International Conference On Adaptable Building Structures Adaptables 2006. Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Carr J (1995) A simplified approach to the design of columns in simple construction. Stability of Steel Structures Conference, Budapest, Hungary, Vol. 1 (pp 57-65). Budapest, Hungary, September 1995.