Mr Jon Carr
Senior University Teacher
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 0251
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
I teach our students how to design structures that are economic, efficient, elegant, cost-effective and sustainable.
Mr Jon Carr
Jon started his career as a Consulting Structural Engineer, specialising in the design of building structures. During a period of more than 20 years in industry (most of which was spent in Sheffield, working for Anthony Hunt Associates) he worked on a diverse range of award-winning projects, most notably in the Education and Sports & Leisure sectors.
Jon worked as a Research Associate in the Department from 1992-93, where he was awarded his MPhil for his work on `The design of semi-rigidly connected columns in multi-storey, non-sway, steel framed buildings´. He then returned to industry, and achieved Chartered status in 1995.
After a four-year spell as a visiting lecturer starting in 2007, during which he taught CIV321 `Multi Storey Building Design´, Jon formally joined the Department in 2011. He successfully set up, and continues to run, the department’s Integrated Design Project, and is Chair of the department’s Design Teaching Group. Jon’s teaching focuses on the process of structural design; putting engineering theory into practice, understanding the process holistically, and providing an industry focus and context.
Jon has delivered lectures on the ‘Conceptual Design of Structures’ at a number of universities in Denmark, as well as CPD courses on ‘Multi-Storey Building Design’, ‘Concrete Design to EC2’ and ‘Steel Design to EC3’ in the UK and South Africa.
Jon is an active member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) Yorkshire Regional Group, serving as Chair in 2016, and has sat on the IStructE’s Education Committee since 2015. When he’s not teaching, he continues to practice structural design under the banner of Jon Carr Structural Design.
- Carr J & Reynolds P (2007) Design and construction of the Kingston Communications Stadium, Hull. Structural Engineer, 85(8), 28-32.
- Reynolds P, Pavic A & Carr J (2007) Experimental dynamic analysis of the Kingston Communications Stadium. Structural Engineer, 85(8), 33-39.
- Carr JF (2004) Hull Stadium. New Steel Construction Magazine, 12.
Conference proceedings papers
- Sakantamis K, Popovic Larsen O & Carr JF (2006) Modular components for a generic small rail-linked transport interchange site - an exercise in designing for adaptability. The International Conference On Adaptable Building Structures Adaptables 2006. Eindhoven, Netherlands
- Carr J (1995) A simplified approach to the design of columns in simple construction. Stability of Steel Structures Conference, Budapest, Hungary, Vol. 1 (pp 57-65). Budapest, Hungary, September 1995.