Dr Camilla Priede
Department for Lifelong Learning
Programme Director: Foundation Programme. DLL Admissions Tutor.
Admissions Tutor for Foundation Level Provision
Academic lead for Outreach
I joined the Department for Lifelong Learning in 2010, originally combining this role with that of a researcher in the School of Law.
I graduated from the University of Kent in 2009 with a PhD in Biodiversity Management Understanding Landscape Values: A Scottish Highland Case Study.
I also hold an MA in Landscape Archaeology from Sheffield University, and a BSc in Environmental Archaeology from Edinburgh University.
I previously worked as an event organiser for a visitor centre, and this has instilled in me an enduring belief that learning should be both accessible and enjoyable to all.
- Research interests
I am an interdisciplinary researcher, I have experience of researching in a variety of fields, including landscape archaeology and anthropology and survey methodology. Central to all of these is a theme of understanding the values which people hold for the world and society which surrounds them, and the development of methods for understanding this.
I am also passionate about communicating research and scholarship to a wider audience, and have held funded events linked to both my research and DLL’s curriculum. These include:
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2010 ‘Fear and Loathing in Sheffield’
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2011 ‘The Museum of Rock’
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2012 ‘Here be Dragons, Mapping a University Landscape’
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2014 ‘The Museum of Me’
- Teaching activities
I am programme director for Foundation Science, Level 1 Social Science, and the BSc in Natural and Human Environments (NHE) at DLL.
I teach on a number of modules within these courses, including all levels of DLL’s research spine which is shared between all of the department’s degree tracks. I also supervise research projects and dissertations on the NHE programme.
- C Priede 2009 Understanding Landscape Values, A Scottish Highland Case Study Oxford, Archaeopress
- J Shapland, A Sorsby, G Robinson, C Priede, S Farrall & F McNeill 2014 What quality means to probation staff in England in relation to one-to-one supervision p139-153 in I Durnescu and F McNeill Understanding Penal Practice London, Routledge
- C Priede 2007, Perceptions and Preferences vs. Pounds and Policy p59-64 in Grabow et al Which Past, Whose Future; Treatments of the Past at the Start of the 21st Century Oxford, B.A.R
- G Robinson, C Priede, S Farrall, J Shapland, F McNeill Understanding Quality in Probation Practice, Frontline Perspectives in England & Wales Criminology and Criminal Justice 14 (2), 123-142
- Priede, C, Jokinen, A, Ruuskanen, E & Farrall, S 2014 Which probes are most useful when undertaking Cognitive Interviews? International Journal of Social Research Methodology (online content)
- Farrall, C Priede, E Ruuskanen, A Jokinen, T Galev, M Arcai, S Maffei 2012 Using cognitive interviews to refine translated survey questions: an example from a cross-national crime survey International Journal of Social Research Methodology 15 (6), 467-483
- G Robinson, C Priede, S Farrall, J Shapland, F McNeill 2012 Doing ‘strengths based’ research: Appreciative Inquiry in a probation Setting Criminology and Criminal Justice (online content)
- Priede, C & Farrall, S 2011 Comparing Results of Different Styles of Cognitive Interviewing, Thinking Aloud vs. Verbal Probing. International Journal of Social Research Methodology 14(4) 271-287
- Priede, C, Ruuskanen, E, Jokinen, A & Farrall S 2010 Analysing Cognitive Interview Data to improve Cross National Survey Questions. Social Research Update 59
Non-Refereed Abstracts, Reports & other Publications
- Ullathorne, H & Priede C 2014 Re-Membering a Training Landscape – WW1 Research at Redmires, Sheffield Paper given at RGS IBG Annual Conference 2014
- Shapland, J, Bottoms, A, Farrall, S, McNeill, F, Priede, C & Robinson, G 2012 The Quality of Probation Supervision – A literature review (commissioned by National Offender Management Service)
- Shapland, J, Bottoms, A, Farrall, S, McNeill, F, Priede, C & Robinson, G 2012 Probation Supervision – A literature review summary of key messages The Ministry of Justice Research Summary 2/12
- Priede, C, Farrall, S, McNeill, F, Robinson, G & Shapland, J 2011 Research report: Emerging findings from Understanding Quality in Probation Practice.