How we’re supporting mental health for staff and students
Supporting positive mental health and ensuring that staff and students can access the help and support they need is a key priority for the University.
The Mental Health Action Plan outlines the steps we will take to continue to improve wellbeing, mental health and support for our University community.
Our Action Plan focuses on the five themes of the Mental Health Charter Framework. Each theme considers a different area of the University experience.
The Action Plan aligns with each of these themes and outlines the activities to ensure that accessible mental health services and proactive interventions are available.
As we move forward and progress our work in this area we will review, reflect and update our Action Plan so our priorities always reflect the needs of our University community
- Continued roll-out of the welcome and induction institutional approach - increasing the number of welcome and induction events for targeted student groups. For example: carers, care experienced, estranged students, forced migrants, mature students and those under 18.
- Implement recommendations for support from the Year Abroad task and finish group.
- Ensure a robust and thorough review of the Staff Mental Health Advisor Service on an annual basis, identifying recommendations for improvement and implementing actions accordingly.
- Published a ‘How to Help’ guide for use by staff and students to identify the right services for someone who they engage with at the University who needs mental health support.
- Draw together a Student Health and Wellbeing Network - creating bonds between staff in different areas to best share resources and ideas.
- Trusted Contacts protocol.
- Reviewing support for students using leave of absence.
- Expanding University Health Service Health promotion across faculties and departments.
- Postgraduate researchers’ wellbeing group.
- Continue raising the visibility of support across the University.
Explore the wellbeing and mental health support services available for students
Report + Support
An online platform for all staff and students to report and access support about harassment and discrimination of any kind.