Dr Kushwanth Koya
BEng (Anna, India), MSc (Northumbria), PhD (Northumbria), PGCLTHE (Sheffield Hallam), FHEA
Lecturer in Information Management
+44 114 222 2645
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I earned a PhD in Information Framework Development from Northumbria University’s iSchool in 2014 and subsequently held various academic positions. In 2017 I was appointed as a Senior Lecturer in Business Systems and Information Studies at Sheffield Hallam University, and additionally held the role of Research Lead within my subject group.
I joined The University of Sheffield’s Information School in 2022 as a Lecturer in Information Management. My current research interests lie at the intersection of society, information needs and digital technologies, specifically investigating how different sections of society have their information needs met through accessing various digital technologies.
I have been teaching and leading various modules at all academic levels related to information sciences, both theoretical and applicative, since my doctoral days, which I thoroughly enjoy.
- Students' Mentor
- Exams' Officer
- Research interests
I am currently working on projects to ascertain the information needs and their classifications, of young informal carers in the UK in collaboration with Strathclyde and Leeds Beckett. Along with colleagues at Northumbria, De Montfort and Suffolk, I’ am investigating the microblogging dynamics of NHS workers during the Covid19 pandemic. I’ am also working with two of my former students, Rob Frear (Chesterfield Royal Hospital) and Salime Mascarenas (Prometheus Group) to ascertain diabetes ketoacidosis readmission risks from hospital records and information needs of stakeholders towards developing trust in machine learning based manufacturing processes in the aerospace industry respectively.
My recent research investigated the interpretation of GDPR principles by various UK Higher Education stakeholders, particularly focussing on the utilisation of student data and in collaboration with Santander Bank on a students’-led project, we investigated the factors responsible for digital banking adoption in young adults in the UK.
My previous research has contributed towards identifying information practices influencing the attainment of UN Sustainable Development Goals and cultural sustainability. I was a named researcher in a JISC funded project which led to the development of a recommendations-based reading list prototype learning and resource management for UK higher education libraries, which further sparked interest to develop a novel ranking method for research datasets, based on quality and popularity.
My research has been published in scholarly outlets i.e., Journal of the Association of Information Science & Technology (JASIST), Journal of Information Science, PlosOne, iConference and the Asia-Pacific Information Technology Conference (ACM organised).
- A recommendation-based reading list system prototype for learning and resource management. Journal of Information Science. View this article in WRRO
- Cultural heritage information practices and iSchools education for achieving sustainable development. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 71(6), 696-710. View this article in WRRO
- The embodied nurse : interdisciplinary knowledge exchange between compassionate nursing and recent developments in embodied leadership studies. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(12), 3028-3040. View this article in WRRO
- Metric-based vs peer-reviewed evaluation of a research output: lesson learnt from UK’s national research assessment exercise. PLoS ONE, 12(7). View this article in WRRO
- Information practices for sustainability : role of iSchools in achieving the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs). Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 68(9), 2128-2138. View this article in WRRO
- An enactive perspective on comprehending leadership: A comparative case study approach. Human Systems Management, 35(3), 197-212. View this article in WRRO
- Measuring the impact of research: lessons from the UK’s Research Excellence Framework 2014. PLoS ONE, 11(6). View this article in WRRO
- Attributes of embodied leadership: A beginning in the next chapter of leadership development. Human Systems Management, 34(4), 287-300. View this article in WRRO
- Leadership capability: An autopoietic perspective. Human Systems Management, 32(2), 95-103. View this article in WRRO
- Young Informal Carers' Information Needs Communicated Online: Professional and Personal Growth, Finance, Health and Relationships.. Journal of Information Science.
Conference proceedings papers
- A quality and popularity based ranking method for research datasets. 2022 4th Asia Pacific Information Technology Conference View this article in WRRO
- A Path of Roses and Financial Literacy: Exploring the Usability of UK's Digital Banking Services to Improve Younger Adult Adoption. 2021 3rd Asia Pacific Information Technology Conference View this article in WRRO
- Post-GDPR usage of students’ big-data at UK universities. Diversity, Divergence, Dialogue: 16th International Conference, iConference 2021, Beijing, China, March 17–31, 2021, Proceedings (pp 165-182). Beijing, China, 17 March 2021 - 31 March 2021. View this article in WRRO
- Measuring Impact of Academic Research in Computer and Information Science on Society. Proceedings of the 2020 2nd Asia Pacific Information Technology Conference View this article in WRRO
- Teaching activities
I teach on the following modules:
Information Systems & Organisation
Information & Knowledge Management
- Professional activities
I am a volunteer reviewer for the Journal of Information Science, Studies in Higher Education, IFLA, Journal of Advanced Nursing (qualitative methods) and The Digital Humanities Workshops.
I am on the editorial review board of the International Journal of Systems and Society.