Dr Morgan Harvey
BSc (Strathclyde), PhD (Strathclyde)
Lecturer in Data Science
+44 114 222 6337
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I am a lecturer in data science and information retrieval here at the Information School of the University of Sheffield. I hold a PhD in Information Science from the University of Strathclyde, which I completed in 2011, and since then have worked in academic roles in the UK, Germany and Switzerland. Before coming to Sheffield, I was a senior lecturer at Northumbria University in Newcastle and a research associate at the University of Lugano in Switzerland and the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany.
- Research interests
My work aims to bridge the gap between “systems” and “user-centred” Information Retrieval and Recommender Systems. I conduct research in the fields of information retrieval, information behaviour, recommender systems and in the wider area of information and data science and have published more than 60 peer-reviewed conference papers and journal articles.
- Understanding in-context interaction: An investigation into on-the-go mobile search. Information Processing and Management, 56(6). View this article in WRRO
- Library 2.0: the effectiveness of social media as a marketing tool for libraries in educational institutions. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 51, 3-19.
- An investigation into Scottish teenagers’ information literacy and search skills. Information Research, 24.
- Remembering through lifelogging: A survey of human memory augmentation. Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 27, 14-26.
- A survey of values, technologies and contexts in pervasive healthcare. Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 27, 1-13.
- Remembering through lifelogging: A survey of human memory augmentation. Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 27, 14-26.
- Engaging and maintaining a sense of being informed: Understanding the tasks motivating twitter search. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), 65.
- Searching for puns: Towards identification of humour on twitter.
- Learning user tastes: a first step to generating healthy meal plans. Proc. of LIFESTYLE, 12, 18-18.
- Kochen im Kontext-Am Alltag orientierte Empfehlung von Gerichten. Information-Wissenschaft und Praxis (Inf. Wiss. & Praxis), 63, 324-328.
- Searching for Fun: Casual-leisure Search.
- Folksonomic tag clouds as an aid to content indexing.
- Whither Wilderness? An investigation of technology use by long-distance backpackers. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- Understanding the Costs and Challenges of the Digital Divide through UK Council Services. Journal of Information Science.
- A Day at the Races: Using Best Arm Identification Algorithms to Reduce the Cost of Information Retrieval User Studies. Applied Intelligence.
- The Effects of Simulated Interruptions on Mobile Search Tasks. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology.
- 21st Century Search and Recommendation: Exploiting Personalisation and Social Media, Professional Search in the Modern World (pp. 70-95). Springer, Cham
- Insights into co-located shared mobile search, CHI’13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1401-1406).
Conference proceedings papers
- Conducting Information Science research during pandemics: Experience and Reflections of the Information Retrieval Research Group in Sheffield. Information Science Trends - ASIS&T European Chapter Series, 9 June 2021 - 11 June 2021. View this article in WRRO
- Resilience and Effective Learning in First-Year Undergraduate Computer Science. Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education
- Conversational agents for recipe recommendation. Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (pp 73-82). Vancouver BC, Canada, 14 March 2020 - 18 March 2020. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding mobile search task relevance and user behaviour in context. Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (pp 143-151)
- Noisy Signals: Understanding the Impact of Auditory Distraction on Web Search Tasks. Proceedings of the 2018 Conference on Human Information Interaction & Retrieval (pp 241-244)
- A Comparative Study of Native and Non-Native Information Seeking Behaviours. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 237-248). Springer, Cham
- Exploiting food choice biases for healthier recipe recommendation. Proceedings of the 40th international acm sigir conference on research and development in information retrieval (pp 575-584)
- Searching on the Go: The Effects of Fragmented Attention on Mobile Web Search Tasks. Proceedings of the 40th international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in Information Retrieval. ACM
- User nutrition modelling and recommendation: Balancing simplicity and complexity. Adjunct publication of the 25th conference on user modeling, adaptation and personalization (pp 93-96)
- Information Seeking Behaviour of Aspiring Undergraduates on Social Media: Who Are They Interacting with?. International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries (pp 245-255). Springer, Cham
- Strangers in a Strange Land: A Study of Second Language Speakers Searching for e-Services. ACM SIGIR Conference on Human Information Interaction & Retrieval (CHIIR)
- E-government and the digital divide: A study of English-as-a-Second-Language Users’ Information Behaviour. European Conference on Information Retrieval. Springer International Publishing
- Perceptions of the effect of fragmented attention on mobile web search tasks. ACM SIGIR Conference on Human Information Interaction & Retrieval (CHIIR)
- Topic-specific stylistic variations for opinion retrieval on twitter. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 466-478). Springer, Cham
- Learning by Example: training users with high-quality query suggestions. Proceedings of the 38th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (pp 133-142). New York, NY, United States, 9 August 2015 - 13 August 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Automated Recommendation of Healthy, Personalised Meal Plans. 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys)
- Towards Automatic Meal Plan Recommendations for Balanced Nutrition. 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys)
- Bringing the" healthy" into Food Recommenders.. DMRS (pp 33-36)
- Long time, no tweet! Time-aware personalised hashtag suggestion. Advances in Information Retrieval, 37th European Conference on IR Research (ECIR) (pp 581-592). Springer
- Workshop on searching for fun 2014. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium (pp 6-6)
- Relating user interaction to experience during festivals. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium (pp 38-47)
- Detecting event visits in urban areas via smartphone gps data. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 681-686). Springer, Cham
- A personalised recommendation system for context-aware suggestions. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 63-74). Springer, Cham
- Building user profiles from topic models for personalised search. Proceedings of the 22nd ACM international conference on Information & Knowledge Management (pp 2309-2314)
- University of Lugano at the TREC 2013 Contextual Suggestion Track.. TREC
- You are what you eat: Learning user tastes for rating prediction. International Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (pp 153-164). Springer, Cham
- Finding Participants in a Chat: Authorship Attribution for Conversational Documents. ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing$$$$ (pp 649-652)
- RecSys for distributed events: investigating the influence of recommendations on visitor plans. Proceedings of the 36th international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval (pp 953-956)
- A new probabilistic ranking model. Proceedings of the 2013 Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval (pp 109-112)
- Improving search experience on distributed leisure events. EuroHCIR
- Ingredient matching to determine the nutritional properties of internet-sourced recipes. 2012 6th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth) and Workshops (pp 73-80). IEEE
- Estimating nutrition values for internet recipes. 2012 6th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth) and Workshops (pp 191-192). IEEE
- Entertainment on the go: finding things to do and see while visiting distributed events. Proceedings of the 4th Information Interaction in Context Symposium (pp 90-99)
- Out and about on museums night: Investigating mobile search behaviour for leisure events. Searching4Fun WS at ECIR
- Exploring query patterns in email search. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 25-36). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Comparing tweets and tags for URLs. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 73-84). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Understanding re-finding behavior in naturalistic email interaction logs. Proceedings of the 34th international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in Information Retrieval (pp 35-44)
- Bayesian latent variable models for collaborative item rating prediction. Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management (pp 699-708)
- Improving social bookmark search using personalised latent variable language models. Proceedings of the fourth ACM international conference on Web search and data mining (pp 485-494)
- Ranking social bookmarks using topic models. Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management (pp 1401-1404)
- Tripartite hidden topic models for personalised tag suggestion. European Conference on Information Retrieval (pp 432-443). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Towards query log based personalization using topic models. Proceedings of the 19th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management (pp 1849-1852)
- View this article in WRRO Effective Learning and Resilience in First Year Undergraduate Computer Science. Proceedings of the 2020 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, 15 June 2020 - 19 June 2020.
Theses / Dissertations
- Teaching interests
am a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and have been teaching in various academic roles since 2008 in the UK, Germany and Switzerland. I teach on a wide range of data and information science-related topics, including: information retrieval, databases, data mining, recommender systems, business intelligence, data analytics and programming.
I currently teach on three modules at the Information School: Data Mining (INF6028), Database Design (INF6050) and Database Design and Data Management (INF6505).
- Professional activities
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Committee and advisory group membership
Member of the technical programme committees of major conferences in the field of information retrieval, including:
Journal and conference reviewing
Reviewer for several international journals, including:
- Information Processing and Management (IP&M)
- Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
- Journal of Librarianship and Information Sciences (JOLIS)
- Pervasive and Mobile Computing (Elsevier Journal)
- The International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
- Information Retrieval Journal (Springer)
- Invited keynote speaker at RESULTS workshop on Recommender Systems for Engaging Users with Healthy Living Habits 2019, Bristol, UK
- Doctoral Consortium Mentor at CHIIR 2019, Glasgow, UK and CHIIR 2020, Vancouver, Canada
- Senior PC member for ECIR 2017, 2019 and 2020
- Proceedings chair of IIiX 2014 in Regensburg
- Organiser of Searching for Fun workshop in 2012 and 2014
- Examiner of PhD dissertations submitted to the University of Regensburg and Northumbria University