Careers with a masters degree from Journalism Studies
Our taught postgraduate courses open doors in the media industries and beyond.
Take Sheffield's mighty reputation in newsrooms across the UK and internationally. Add the professional accreditation for our practical MA courses. Then combine the work placement opportunities, and the insights and networking opportunities from our department Career Days.
It's easy to see why our MA and MSc graduates do so brilliantly in their careers.
On this page
Employers of our recent postgraduates include:
- Channel 4
- Daily Mail
- European Parliament
- The Guardian
- ITV News
- International Labour Organisation
- People's Daily (China)
- Press Association
- Sky Sports News
- South China Morning Post
- Wall Street Journal
- Thomson Reuters
...and local and national TV, newspapers, radio and magazines, as well as universities, charities and PR agencies, and regional and national government, throughout the UK and all over the world.
91.7% of our postgraduates are in work or further study 6 months after graduating (100% for UK and EU students)
88.1% of our postgraduates are in graduate-level work or further study 6 months after graduating (97.8% for UK and EU students)
Source: Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (UK) 2016-17
As a Sheffield journalism postgraduate your career skills are supported three times over: by the work we do in the department, by exclusive schemes run by our Faculty of Social Sciences, and by the University as a whole.
Here in the Department of Journalism Studies our dedicated work placement officer can help you find meaningful employment experience with hand-picked organisations matched to your interests.
Meanwhile our guest lectures and media Careers Days put you face to face with professionals from the media industries to give insights direct from the frontline and tips on what employers are looking for.
Schemes on offer from the faculty and University include:
- The Postgraduate Advantage Scheme offers 100-hour internships with a £1,000 bursary: get paid for your work experience
- Global Learning Opportunities in the Social Sciences could place you at a major global summit, offering an international perspective on your journalism studies
- Make it Count includes a series of careers events and an online resource bank specially for postgraduates
Visit our brilliant Careers Service for more about what's on offer and find out why Sheffield is the top university in the north of England for graduate employability.
Postgraduate taught scholarships
Explore scholarships for postgraduate taught courses starting in 2022, including:
- 100+ scholarships worth £10,000 each for home fee-paying students
- 125 scholarships worth 25 per cent of the tuition fee for international students