Landscape50 Registration is Open
The University of Sheffield’s Department of Landscape today announces that registration is open for Landscape50, a landmark international conference that brings together leading thinkers and practitioners from around the world to set out a bold future vision for Landscape Architecture. This event presents a unique opportunity to hear from global leaders at the very forefront of the discipline, in a stimulating and dynamic environment.
Landscape50 features nine speakers that represent the broad multi-disciplinary nature of Landscape Architecture, and who have been responsible for shaping the agenda in their own fields of practice, research and ideas. Through a series of sharp, thought-provoking presentations, the speakers, who include Martha Schwartz, Majora Carter, Stig Andersson and Thomas Rainer, will show how Landscape Architecture and associated disciplines should be at the core of addressing major global challenges, such as climate change, population shift, and increasing urbanisation.
Landscape50 celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Department of Landscape at the University of Sheffield, the first independent school of Landscape Architecture to be established in the UK, and now one of the leading Landscape Architecture research and teaching units in the world.
The conference takes place in the splendid surroundings of the Grade 11* listed Art-Deco Sheffield City Hall, centrally-located in the city, on Wednesday 21st March 2018.
Director of Impact in the Department of Landscape, Professor Nigel Dunnett said: “Landscape50 is a wonderful opportunity to hear the viewpoints on the future of Landscape Architecture from nine outstanding speakers from North America, Europe and Asia, all in one place. This fantastic international panel means that we will see an exciting ‘big picture’ view of the place of Landscape Architecture in meeting the serious challenges facing the world.”
Head of Department Professor James Hitchmough said: “over the past 50 years we have grown from a niche player to a global hub for Landscape Architectural thought and practice. To achieve its full potential we believe Landscape Architecture needs to think both strategically and at the large scale, and that’s what this conference is about.”
The full list of speakers is:
- Julian Agyeman – Originator of the concept of ‘just sustainabilities’, Professor of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning at Tufts University in Medford, MA
- Stig Andersson – founder of SLA Architects, renowned for his sensuous and poetic work
- Majora Carter – Founder of Sustainable South Bronx and expert in public heath, poverty alleviation and climate change
- Joan Nassauer – Professor in the School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
- Thomas Rainer – Leading voice in ecological landscape design, Landscape Architect, teacher and author
- Mohan Rao – Principal designer of the leading multi-disciplinary consultancy practice, Integrated Design (INDÉ)
- David Sim – Creative Director at Gehl, renowned as an inspiring educator and lecturer
- Martha Schwartz – Principal of Martha Schwartz Partners, Landscape Architect, urbanist and artist
- Richard Weller – Chair of Urbanism and Landscape Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, one of North America’s most admired teachers (Design Intelligence 2017)
Spaces for Landscape50 are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. For more information see: Landscape50.com
Register now through the online shop.