Dr Adrian Leyland
BSc PhD MInstP
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Surface Technology
+44 114 222 5486
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Adrian Leyland is an Honours Graduate of Leeds University (BSc, Materials Science & Engineering, 1985). He joined the Department in 2003 having spent 17 years at Hull University, where he obtained his PhD in Plasma Surface Engineering in 1992 from the group of Professor Allan Matthews.
He subsequently worked as an Investment Research Fellow in the Research Centre in Surface Engineering at Hull, and as a Lecturer in the Department of Engineering.
He is an active member of the Institute of Physics – and former Treasurer (2009-2012) of the Ion and Plasma Surface Interactions (IPSI) Committee of the Institute.
- Research interests
Dr Leyland's main research interests are plasma-based coatings & treatments for surface engineering and tribology, wear & corrosion of surfaces. Coatings and treatments studied include PVD ceramic, metallic and nanocomposite films and hybrid/duplex substrate pre-treatment by diffusion hardening, plasma electrolysis or interlayering (eg. by electroless plating), to improve coating durability. Practical applications for these processing methods range from tribological (friction and wear), through thermal barriers, to high temperature & aqueous corrosion-control – as well as biomedical, optical and other functional property requirements.
Research topics include:
- PVD metal-alloy nanocomposite and amorphous ‘glassy-metal’ coatings with controlled mechanical properties
- Development of multifunctional PVD ceramic coatings for biomedical applications
- Pre-treatment of light alloys and low-strength ferrous alloys (eg. Austenitic SS) to improve coating load-support and widen tribological applications areas for such materials
- Low-temperature deposition of crystalline oxide films
- Plasma diagnostic studies using OES and mass/energy analysis
- Evaluation of the sliding wear and corrosion performance of triode-plasma nitrided Fe-17Cr-20Mn-0.5N high-manganese and Fe-17Cr-35Ni-1.2Si high-nickel austenitic stainless steels. Surface and Coatings Technology, 409.
- On the interstitial induced lattice inhomogeneities in nitrogen-expanded austenite. Scripta Materialia, 185, 146-151. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation on the nanostructure of as-deposited and post-coat annealed CrCuAgN PVD nanocomposite coatings. Materials Chemistry and Physics. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of pre-deposited titanium-based PVD metallic thin films on the nitrogen diffusion efficiency and wear behaviour of nitrided Ti alloys. Surface and Coatings Technology. View this article in WRRO
- On the nitrogen-induced lattice expansion of a non-stainless austenitic steel, Invar 36®, under triode plasma nitriding. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. View this article in WRRO
- The influence of stacking fault energy on plasticity mechanisms in triode-plasma nitrided austenitic stainless steels: Implications for the structure and stability of nitrogen-expanded austenite. Acta Materialia, 164, 60-75. View this article in WRRO
- Improving the surface characteristics of Ti-6Al-4V and Timetal 834 using PIRAC nitriding treatments. Surface and Coatings Technology, 339, 208-223. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanical properties and abrasive wear behaviour of Al-based PVD amorphous/nanostructured coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, 310, 59-69. View this article in WRRO
- CrCuAgN PVD nanocomposite coatings: Effects of annealing on coating morphology and nanostructure. Applied Surface Science, 392, 732-746. View this article in WRRO
- Crystal size induced reduction in thermal hysteresis of Ni-Ti-Nb shape memory thin films. Applied Physics Letters, 108(17), 171907-171907. View this article in WRRO
- The combined effects of Cu and Ag on the nanostructure and mechanical properties of CrCuAgN PVD coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, 284, 101-111.
- Corrosion behaviour of triode plasma diffusion treated and PVD TiN-coated Ti–6Al–4V in acidified aqueous chloride environments. Surface and Coatings Technology, 280, 185-193.
- Fabrication of Nb2O5/SiO2 mixed oxides by reactive magnetron co-sputtering. Thin Solid Films, 589, 95-104.
- Influence of Mg Addition on Corrosion Behavior of Ion Vapor Deposited Al Coatings. MATERIALS PERFORMANCE, 53(12), 40-45.
- Evaluating the effects of PIRAC nitrogen-diffusion treatments on the mechanical performance of Ti–6Al–4V alloy. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 619, 300-311.
- Enhanced surface performance of Ti-6Al-4V alloy using a novel duplex process combining PVD-Al coating and triode plasma oxidation. Surface and Coatings Technology, 257, 154-164.
- Laser Texturing of Plasma Electrolytically Oxidized Aluminum 6061 Surfaces for Improved Hydrophobicity. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 136(5).
- Small grain size zirconium-based coatings deposited by magnetron sputtering at low temperatures. Thin Solid Films.
- High-rate reactive magnetron sputtering of zirconia films for laser optics applications. Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, 1-12.
- Corrosion behaviour and galvanic coupling with steel of Al-based coating alternatives to electroplated cadmium. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 141(1), 128-137.
- Substrate and bonding layer effects on performance of DLC and TiN biomedical coatings in Hank's solution under cyclic impact–sliding loads. Surface and Coatings Technology, 237, 219-229.
- Impact wear and abrasion resistance of CrN, AlCrN and AlTiN PVD coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology.
- Influence of Surface Hardening Depth on the Cavitation Erosion Resistance of a Low Alloy Steel, 524-540.
- Surface modification of Ti–6Al–4V alloys using triode plasma oxidation treatments. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(22), 4553-4561.
- Triode plasma diffusion treatment of titanium alloys. Surface and Coatings Technology, 212, 20-31.
- Laser surface modification treatment of aluminum bronze with B4C. Applied Surface Science, 263, 804-809.
- An investigation into the tribological performance of Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD) coatings on high thermal conductivity Cu-alloy substrates and the effect of an intermediate electroless Ni-P layer prior to PVD treatment. Thin Solid Films, 520(7), 2922-2931.
- Surface modification of Ti-6Al-4V alloys using triode plasma oxidation treatments. Surface and Coatings Technology.
- Impact wear resistance of plasma diffusion treated and duplex treated/PVD-coated Ti–6Al–4V alloy. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(10), 2645-2654.
- Micro-abrasion wear testing of triode plasma diffusion and duplex treated Ti–6Al–4V alloy. Wear, 274-275, 377-387.
- Impact wear resistance of plasma diffusion treated and duplex treated/PVD-coated Ti-6Al-4V alloy. Surface and Coatings Technology.
- Tribological properties of duplex plasma oxidised, nitrided and PVD coated Ti–6Al–4V. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(2-3), 395-404.
- An investigation into the effect of Triode Plasma Oxidation (TPO) on the tribological properties of Ti6Al4V. Surface and Coatings Technology, 206(7), 1955-1962.
- Evaluating the effects of plasma diffusion processing and duplex diffusion/PVD-coating on the fatigue performance of Ti-6Al-4V alloy. International Journal of Fatigue, 33(9), 1313-1323.
- Corrosion properties and contact resistance of TiN, TiAlN and CrN coatings in simulated proton exchange membrane fuel cell environments. J POWER SOURCES, 195(12), 3814-3821.
- A study of the nanostructure and hardness of electron beam evaporated TiAlBN Coatings. THIN SOLID FILMS, 518(15), 4273-4280. View this article in WRRO
- A study of the reciprocating-sliding wear performance of plasma surface treated titanium alloy. WEAR, 269(1-2), 60-70.
- Investigation into high-temperature corrosion in a large-scale municipal waste-to-energy plant. Corrosion Science, 52(12), 3861-3874. View this article in WRRO
- Substitution of hexavalent chromate conversion treatment with a plasma electrolytic oxidation process to improve the corrosion properties of ion vapour deposited AlMg coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology, 205(6), 1750-1756.
- Growth behavior and microstructure of arc ion plated titanium dioxide. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 204(6-7), 915-922.
- The nanostructure, wear and corrosion performance of arc-evaporated CrBxNy nanocomposite coatings. SURF COAT TECH, 204(3), 246-255.
- The morphology and structure of PVD ZrN-Cu thin films. J PHYS D APPL PHYS, 42(8).
- Mutifunctional arc ion plated TiO2 photocatalytic coatings with improved wear and corrosion protection. SURF COAT TECH, 203(12), 1689-1693.
- Material transfer phenomena and failure mechanisms of a nanostructured Cr-Al-N coating in laboratory wear tests and an industrial punch tool application. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 203(5-7), 816-821.
- Characterization studies of pulse magnetron sputtered hard ceramic titanium diboride coatings alloyed with silicon. ACTA MATER, 56(16), 4172-4182.
- Structure and mechanical properties of nitrogen-containing Zr-Cu based thin films deposited by pulsed magnetron sputtering. J PHYS D APPL PHYS, 41(15).
- Composition and structure-property relationships of chromium-diboride/molybdenum-disulphide PVD nanocomposite hard coatings deposited by pulsed magnetron sputtering. APPL PHYS A-MATER, 91(1), 77-86.
- Pulsed-bias magnetron sputtering of non-conductive crystalline chromia films at low substrate temperature. J PHYS D APPL PHYS, 41(3).
- Tribological behaviour of pulsed magnetron sputtered CrB2 coatings examined by reciprocating sliding wear testing against aluminium alloy and steel. SURF COAT TECH, 202(8), 1470-1478.
- The influence of coatings on the oil-out performance of rolling bearings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 202(4-7), 1073-1077.
- Hard and superhard TiAlBN coatings deposited by twin electron-beam evaporation. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 201(13), 6078-6083.
- A new approach to the deposition of elemental boron and boron-based coatings by pulsed magnetron sputtering of loosely packed boron powder targets. Plasma Processes and Polymers, 4(SUPPL.1).
- The structure and mechanical properties of Ti-Si-B coatings deposited by DC and pulsed-DC unbalanced magnetron sputtering. Plasma Processes and Polymers, 4(SUPPL.1).
- The effect of pulsed magnetron sputtering on the structure and mechanical properties of CrB2 coatings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 201(7), 3970-3976.
- Microstructure of direct current and pulse magnetron sputtered Cr-B coatings. THIN SOLID FILMS, 515(4), 1511-1516.
- Correlation of elastic modulus, hardness and density for sputtered TiAlBN thin films. THIN SOLID FILMS, 514(1-2), 81-86.
- A simple transferable interatomic potential model for binary oxides applied to bulk alpha-Al2O3 and the (0001) alpha-Al2O3 surface. J CRYST GROWTH, 290(1), 235-240.
- Mechanical and tribological properties of CrTiCu(B,N) glassy-metal coatings deposited by reactive magnetron sputtering. SURF COAT TECH, 200(14-15), 4601-4611.
- Nanostructural studies of PVD TiAlB coatings. SURFACE AND INTERFACE ANALYSIS, 38(4), 731-735.
- Residual stresses in plasma electrolytic oxidation coatings on A1 alloy produced by pulsed unipolar current. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(5-6), 1580-1586.
- Deposition of multicomponent chromium boride based coatings by pulsed magnetron sputtering of powder targets. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(5-6), 1616-1623.
- The structure and properties of chromium diboride coatings deposited by pulsed magnetron sputtering of powder targets. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(5-6), 1366-1371.
- Deposition of yttria-stablized zirconia films using arc ion plating. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(5-6), 1401-1406.
- Hard tribological Ti-B-N, Ti-Cr-B-N, Ti-Si-B-N and Ti-Al-Si-B-N coatings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(1-4), 208-212.
- Investigation of the nanostructure and post-coat thermal treatment of wear-resistant PVD CrTiCuBN coatings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 200(1-4), 310-314.
- Oxide ceramic coatings on aluminium alloys produced by a pulsed bipolar plasma electrolytic oxidation process. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 199(2-3), 150-157.
- A model for galvanostatic anodising of Al in alkaline solutions. ELECTROCHIM ACTA, 50(27), 5458-5464.
- Investigation of the nanostructure and wear properties of physical vapor deposited CrCuN nanocomposite coatings. J VAC SCI TECHNOL A, 23(3), 423-433.
- Characterisation and tribological evaluation of nitrogen-containing molybdenum-copper PVD metallic nanocomposite films. SURF COAT TECH, 190(2-3), 345-356.
xN y-Ti 5Si 3-TiB 2. Galvanotechnik, 96(5), 1202-1210.
Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of cathodes composed of TiC
- Anodic processes in plasma electrolytic oxidation of aluminium in alkaline solutions. ELECTROCHIM ACTA, 49(13), 2085-2095.
- Fatigue properties of Keronite((R)) coatings on a magnesium alloy. SURF COAT TECH, 182(1), 78-84.
- Spatial characteristics of discharge phenomena in plasma electrolytic oxidation of aluminium alloy. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 177, 779-783.
- Design criteria for wear-resistant nanostructured and glassy-metal. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 177, 317-324.
xN y-Ti 5Si 3-TiB 2composition. Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenij. Tsvetnaya Metallurgiya(4), 72-80.
Self-distributing high-temperature synthesis of composite cathodes of TiC
- Discharge characterization in plasma electrolytic oxidation of aluminium. J PHYS D APPL PHYS, 36(17), 2110-2120.
- Investigation of interactions between inert gases and nitrogen in direct current triode discharges. J VAC SCI TECHNOL A, 21(5), 1683-1687.
- Determination of the electron temperature profile above the evaporative source in an ion plating discharge by spatially resolved optical emission spectroscopy. THIN SOLID FILMS, 434(1-2), 157-161.
- An electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study of the corrosion behaviour of PVD coated steels in 0.5 N NaCl aqueous solution: Part II. EIS interpretation of corrosion behaviour. CORROS SCI, 45(6), 1257-1273.
- An electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study of the corrosion behaviour of PVD coated steels in 0.5 N NaCl aqueous solution: Part I. Establishment of equivalent circuits for EIS data modelling. CORROS SCI, 45(6), 1243-1256.
- Process developments towards producing well adherent duplex PAPVD coatings. SURF ENG, 19(1), 37-44.
- The nanostructure and mechanical properties of PVD CrCu (N) coatings. SURF COAT TECH, 162(2-3), 222-227.
- Kinetic aspects of aluminium titanate layer formation on titanium alloys by plasma electrolytic oxidation. APPL SURF SCI, 200(1-4), 172-184.
- Tribological evaluation of AISI 304 stainless steel duplex treated by plasma electrolytic nitrocarburising and diamond-like carbon coating. WEAR, 253(9-10), 986-993.
- Plasma immersion ion implantation as a technique in duplex and hybrid processing. VACUUM, 68(1), 57-64.
- Diagnostic studies of discharges used for plasma assisted physical vapour deposition. SURF ENG, 18(5), 385-390.
- Electron spectroscopic studies of nanocomposite PVD TiAlBN coatings. VACUUM, 67(3-4), 471-476.
- Evidence of ionized metal clusters in ion plating discharges. APPL PHYS LETT, 81(8), 1405-1407.
- Ion plating discharges: evidence of cluster formation during metal evaporation. THIN SOLID FILMS, 414(1), 7-12.
- A comparative study of the cyclic thermal oxidation of PVD nickel aluminide coatings. SURF COAT TECH, 155(1), 67-79.
- Structure and corrosion properties of PVD Cr-N coatings. JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY A-VACUUM SURFACES AND FILMS, 20(3), 772-780.
- Evaluating the microstructure and performance of nanocomposite PVD TiAlBN coatings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 151, 338-343.
- Abrasive wear/corrosion properties and TEM analysis of Al2O3 coatings fabricated using plasma electrolysis. SURF COAT TECH, 149(2-3), 245-251.
- A study of neon-nitrogen interactions in d.c. glow discharges by optical emission spectroscopy. THIN SOLID FILMS, 398, 507-512.
- Investigation into nitrogen-inert gas interactions in d.c. diode glow discharges. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 142, 540-545.
- Duplex surface treatments combining plasma electrolytic nitrocarburising and plasma-immersion ion-assisted deposition. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 142, 1129-1136.
- Corrosion resistance of multi-layered plasma-assisted physical vapour deposition TiN and CrN coatings. SURF COAT TECH, 141(2-3), 164-173.
- Characteristics of a plasma electrolytic nitrocarburising treatment for stainless steels. SURF COAT TECH, 139(2-3), 135-142.
- Cyclic oxidation resistance of Ni-Al alloy coatings deposited on steel by a cathodic arc plasma process. SURF COAT TECH, 135(2-3), 158-165.
- Development in PVD tribological coatings. HTM - Haerterei-Technische Mitteilungen, 56(1), 5-13.
- Developments in PVD tribological coatings. HEAT TREAT MET-UK, 28(3), 63-70.
- Low temperature deposition of Cr(N)/TiO2 coatings using a duplex process of unbalanced magnetron sputtering and micro-arc oxidation. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 133, 331-337.
- On the significance of the H/E ratio in wear control: a nanocomposite coating approach to optimised tribological behaviour. WEAR, 246(1-2), 1-11.
- Deposition of duplex Al2O3/DLC coatings on Al alloys for tribological applications using a combined micro-arc oxidation and plasma-immersion ion implantation technique. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 131(1-3), 506-513.
- Characterisation of oxide films produced by plasma electrolytic oxidation of a Ti-6Al-4V alloy. SURF COAT TECH, 130(2-3), 195-206.
- Deposition of layered bioceramic hydroxyapatite/TiO2 coatings on titanium alloys using a hybrid technique of micro-arc oxidation and electrophoresis. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 125(1-3), 407-414.
- Developments in PVD tribological coatings. Progress in Heat Treatment and Surface Engineering, 235-246.
- Plasma electrolysis for surface engineering. SURF COAT TECH, 122(2-3), 73-93.
- Structure, hardness and mechanical properties of magnetron-sputtered titanium-aluminium boride films. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 121, 412-417.
- The effect of boron additions on the tribological behaviour of TiN coatings produced by electron-beam evaporative PVD. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 119, 648-653.
- Thickness effects on the mechanical properties of micro-arc discharge oxide coatings on aluminium alloys. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 119, 1055-1060.
- Structure, mechanical and tribological properties of nitrogen-containing chromium coatings prepared by reactive magnetron sputtering. SURF COAT TECH, 115(2-3), 222-229.
- A comparative study of the influence of plasma treatments, PVD coatings and ion implantation on the tribological performance of Ti-6Al-4V. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 114(1), 70-80.
- Deposition and characterisation of TiAlBN coatings produced by direct electron-beam evaporation of Ti and Ti-Al-B-N material from a twin crucible source. THIN SOLID FILMS, 343, 242-245.
- The influence of neon in the deposition of titanium nitride by plasma-assisted physical vapour deposition. MAT SCI ENG A-STRUCT, 262(1-2), 227-231.
- Structure, mechanical and tribological properties of sputtered TiAlBN thin films. SURF COAT TECH, 113(1-2), 126-133.
- Wear behaviour of carbon-containing tungsten coatings prepared by reactive magnetron sputtering. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 112(1-3), 85-90.
- Analysis of a segmented die design approach to improving the performance of coated metal forming tools. MATER MANUF PROCESS, 14(2), 271-284.
- The effect of hard coating properties on substrate stresses under tribological loads. MATER MANUF PROCESS, 14(2), 243-255.
- The effect of substrate pretreatment on PVD TiN hard coating performance. MATER MANUF PROCESS, 14(2), 257-269.
- Structure, mechanical and tribological properties of Ti-B-N and Ti-Al-B-N multiphase thin films produced by electron-beam evaporation. JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY A, 16(5), 2851-2857.
- Deposition and characterisation of carbon-containing tungsten coatings prepared by reactive magnetron sputtering. VACUUM, 49(4), 265-272.
- Hard coatings on light-metal components under mechanical surface loading. MATERIALWISS WERKST, 29(3), 141-152.
- Design aspects for advanced tribological surface coatings. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 101(1-3), 1-6.
- Studies of the tribological and mechanical properties of laminated CrC-SiC coatings produced by rf and dc sputtering. TRIBOL INT, 30(12), 845-856.
- Deposition and characterization of nitrogen containing stainless steel coatings prepared by reactive magnetron sputtering. VACUUM, 47(9), 1077-1080.
- Substrate surface finish effects in duplex coatings of PAPVD TiN and CrN with electroless nickel-phosphorus interlayers. SURF COAT TECH, 81(2-3), 215-224.
- Widening the market for advanced PVD coatings. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY, 56(1-4), 757-764.
- Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of PVD-TiN coatings on mild steel and AISI316 substrates. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 76-77(1-3), 615-622.
- An ac impedance study on PVD CrN-coated mild steel with different surface roughnesses. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 76-77(1-3), 623-631.
- The influence of process gas characteristics on the properties of plasma nitrided steel. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 76-77(1-3), 694-699.
- Evaluation of PVD nitride coatings, using impact, scratch and Rockwell-C adhesion tests. THIN SOLID FILMS, 270(1-2), 431-438.
- PLASMA-BASED SURFACE ENGINEERING PROCESSES FOR WEAR AND CORROSION PROTECTION. JOURNAL OF VACUUM SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY A-VACUUM SURFACES AND FILMS, 13(3), 1202-1207.
- HYBRID TECHNIQUES IN SURFACE ENGINEERING. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 71(2), 88-92.
- THICK TI/TIN MULTILAYERED COATINGS FOR ABRASIVE AND EROSIVE WEAR-RESISTANCE. SURF COAT TECH, 70(1), 19-25.
- THE EFFECT OF PROCESS PARAMETERS ON THE PLASMA CARBON DIFFUSION TREATMENT OF STAINLESS-STEELS AT LOW-PRESSURE. SURF COAT TECH, 63(3), 135-143.
- LOW-TEMPERATURE PLASMA-DIFFUSION TREATMENT OF STAINLESS-STEELS FOR IMPROVED WEAR-RESISTANCE. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 62(1-3), 608-617.
- IONIZATION IN PLASMA-ASSISTED PHYSICAL VAPOR-DEPOSITION SYSTEMS. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 61(1-3), 121-126.
- TIN AND CRN PVD COATINGS ON ELECTROLESS NICKEL-COATED STEEL SUBSTRATES. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 60(1-3), 474-479.
- METALLURGICAL STUDY OF LOW-TEMPERATURE PLASMA CARBON DIFFUSION TREATMENTS FOR STAINLESS-STEELS. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 60(1-3), 416-423.
- THE INFLUENCE OF PROCESS SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS ON THE UNIFORMITY OF ION PLATED TITANIUM NITRIDE COATINGS. VACUUM, 43(3), 235-240.
- EVALUATION OF SOME TITANIUM-BASED CERAMIC COATINGS ON HIGH-SPEED STEEL CUTTING TOOLS. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 49(1-3), 468-473.
- CORROSION PERFORMANCE OF SOME TITANIUM-BASED HARD COATINGS. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 49(1-3), 489-495.
- EVALUATION OF SOME NEW TITANIUM-BASED CERAMIC COATINGS IN TRIBOLOGICAL MODEL WEAR AND METAL-CUTTING TESTS. MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, 140, 602-608.
- A COMPARATIVE-STUDY OF THE CORROSION PERFORMANCE OF TIN, TI(B,N) AND (TI,AL)N COATINGS PRODUCED BY PHYSICAL VAPOR-DEPOSITION METHODS. MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, 140, 722-726.
- A COATING THICKNESS UNIFORMITY MODEL FOR PHYSICAL VAPOR-DEPOSITION SYSTEMS - FURTHER VALIDITY TESTS. MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING, 140, 576-582.
- Plasma nitriding in a low pressure triode discharge to provide improvements in adhesion and load support for wear resistant coatings. Surface Engineering, 7(3), 207-215.
- CORROSION PERFORMANCE OF LAYERED COATINGS PRODUCED BY PHYSICAL VAPOR-DEPOSITION. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 43-4(1-3), 481-492.
- ENHANCED PLASMA NITRIDING AT LOW-PRESSURES - A COMPARATIVE-STUDY OF DC AND RF TECHNIQUES. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, 41(3), 295-304.
- THE USE OF SCRATCH ADHESION TESTING FOR THE DETERMINATION OF INTERFACIAL ADHESION - THE IMPORTANCE OF FRICTIONAL DRAG. SURF COAT TECH, 36(1-2), 503-517.
- Developments in Plasma-Assisted Physical Vapour Deposition, Surface Engineering (pp. 141-155). Routledge
- Tribological behaviour of thermochemically surface engineered steels, Thermochemical Surface Engineering of Steels: Improving Materials Performance (pp. 241-266).
- Optimization of Nanostructured Tribological Coatings, Nanostructured Coatings (pp. 511-538). Springer New York
- Evaluation of some titanium-based ceramic coatings on high speed steel cutting tools, Metallurgical Coatings and Thin Films 1991 (pp. 468-473). Elsevier
- Evaporation, Advanced Surface Coatings: a Handbook of Surface Engineering (pp. 66-91). Springer Netherlands
Conference proceedings papers
- Development of (AC)DC/AC Cyclic Electrochemical Corrosion Evaluation Protocols for Accelerated Testing of PVD Metallic Coatings. Society of Vacuum Coaters 58th (2015) Annual Technical Conference Proceedings
- A Comparative Study of the Corrosion Behaviour of PVD Al-Based Coatings on Mild Steel by EIS and (AC)DC/AC Electrochemical Evaluation Techniques. Society of Vacuum Coaters 57th (2014) Annual Technical Conference Proceedings
- Influence of Surface Hardening Depth on the Cavitation Erosion Resistance of a Low Alloy Steel (pp 524-540)
- Microstructure and Thermal Stress Distributions in Laser Carbonitriding Treatment of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy. J MANUF SCI E-T ASME, Vol. 133(2)
- Influence of surface hardening depth on the cavitation erosion resistance of a low alloy steel. 65th ABM International Congress, 18th IFHTSE Congress and 1st TMS/ABM International Materials Congress 2010, Vol. 5 (pp 4219-4228)
- Thermal cyclic performance of NiAl/alumina-stabilized zirconia thermal barrier coatings deposited using a hybrid arc and magnetron sputtering system. SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 201(7) (pp 3901-3905)
- The Role of Nanocomposite Coatings in Surface Engineering. SURFACE ENGINEERING, PROCEEDINGS (pp 1-5)
- A TEM study of the structure of magnetron sputtered chromium diboride coatings. EMAG-NANO 2005: Imaging, Analysis and Fabrication on the Nanoscale, Vol. 26 (pp 355-358)
- The future of plasma-based surface engineering techniques in tribology. Proceedings of the World Tribology Congress III - 2005 (pp 297-298)
- Developments in vapour deposited ceramic coatings for tribological applications. EURO CERAMICS VII, PT 1-3, Vol. 206-2 (pp 459-465)
- Properties of electron bombardment assisted EBPVD PYSZ TBCs. HIGH TEMPERATURE SURFACE ENGINEERING (pp 261-264)
- PLASMA PROCESSING FOR ENHANCED WEAR AND CORROSION PERFORMANCE. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SECOND ASM HEAT TREATMENT AND SURFACE ENGINEERING CONFERENCE IN EUROPE, PTS 1 AND 2, Vol. 163- (pp 497-507)
- TRIBOLOGICAL PERFORMANCE OF PLASMA TREATED AND COATED SURFACES. PROCEEDINGS OF THE FIRST ASM HEAT TREATMENT AND SURFACE ENGINEERING CONFERENCE IN EUROPE, PTS 1 AND 2, Vol. 102 (pp 615-622)
- Corrosion performance of some titanium-based hard coatings (pp 489-495)
- STANDARDIZATION OF TEST PROCEDURES IN SURFACE ENGINEERING. EUROTECH DIRECT 91 : MATERIALS AND PROCESSES, Vol. 7 (pp 213-220)
- CORROSION PERFORMANCE OF LAYERED COATINGS PRODUCED BY PHYSICAL VAPOUR DEPOSITION (pp 481-492)
- PLASMA NITRIDING - PROCESSES AND MECHANISMS. PLASMA SURFACE ENGINEERING, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 269-276)
- SCRATCH ADHESION TESTING OF HARD, WEAR RESISTANT COATINGS. PLASMA SURFACE ENGINEERING, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 1227-1234)
- TRIBOLOGICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF SOME SECOND GENERATION CERAMIC COATINGS DEPOSITED BY IONIZATION-ASSISTED PHYSICAL VAPOUR DEPOSITION.. I Mech E Conference Publications (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) (pp 637-642)
- Research group
Dr Aleksey Yerokhin
Dr Alison Beck
Dr Heqing Li
Dr John Kavanagh