Dr Joel Foreman
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
+44 114 222 5920
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Joel has been working on polymers and polymer composites since joining the department in 2005. He has developed Group Interaction Modelling (GIM) to predict the properties of polymers ranging from commodity plastics to the thermosetting resins used as matrices in high performance composites. Allied to this, Joel has developed an extensive experimental structure-property program which aims to improve our understanding of the links between polymer chemical structure and their thermo-mechanical properties.
He has previously worked at the University of Durham and ICI.
He received a BSc in Chemistry from the University of York (1994) and a PhD in Computational Chemistry from the University of Cardiff (1997).
BSc Chemistry, University of York (1994)
PhD Computational Chemistry, University of Cardiff (1997)
- Research interests
- Combined experimental and modelling approach to the linking structure and properties in epoxy resins
- Experimental and modelling work on thermomechanical properties, moisture absorption, fracture toughness of polymers, thermosets in particular
- Group Interaction Modelling (GIM) of polymer properties
- High throughput modelling of polymers: ‘Polymer Discovery’
- Multi-scale modelling of polymer composites
- Structure property relationships in epoxy resins (EPSRC)
- Modelling of moisture absorption in phenolic resins and phenolic resin composites (DSTL)
- Enhancement of flame retardancy in epoxy resin nanocomposites (Royal Thai government)
- Structure property relationships in phenolic resins (DSTL)
- Designing ferrite impregnated epoxy actuators for impact damage detection in carbon fibre reinforced composites. Composites Science and Technology, 216.
- Identifying and mapping chemical bonding within phenolic resin using Secondary Electron Hyperspectral Imaging. Polymer Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- Optimizing size and distribution of voids in phenolic resins through the choice of catalyst types. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. View this article in WRRO
- Exploiting Plasma Exposed, Natural Surface Nanostructures in Ramie Fibers for Polymer Composite Applications. Materials, 12(10). View this article in WRRO
- Modelling the properties of a difunctional epoxy resin cured with aromatic diamine isomers. Polymer, 156, 203-213. View this article in WRRO
- Data from static and dynamic mechanical tests of different isomers of amine cured multifunctional epoxy resins. Data in Brief, 19, 992-996. View this article in WRRO
- Internal antiplasticisation in highly crosslinked amine cured multifunctional epoxy resins. Polymer, 146, 321-330. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-scale modelling of the effect of a viscoelastic matrix on the strength of a carbon fibre composite. Philosophical Magazine, 90(31-32), 4227-4244.
- Predicting the thermomechanical properties of an epoxy resin blend as a function of temperature and strain rate. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 41(9), 1072-1076.
- Rate dependent multiscale modelling of a fibre-reinforced composite. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials.
- Rate dependent multiscale modelling of fibre reinforced composites. Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 38(2-4), 67-71.
- Hierarchical modelling of a polymer matrix composite. Journal of Materials Science, 1-9.
- Hierarchical modelling of a polymer matrix composite. Journal of Materials Science, 43(20), 6642-6650.
- A model for the prediction of structure-property relations in cross-linked polymers. Polymer, 49(25), 5588-5595.
- Thermodynamic and mechanical properties of amine-cured epoxy resins using group interaction modelling. J MATER SCI, 41(20), 6631-6638.
- Influence of Molecular Weight on Self-Organization, Uniaxial Alignment, and Surface Morphology of Hairy-Rodlike Polyfluorene in Thin Films. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 108(30), 10711-10720.
- Alkyl Substituent Effects on the Conductivity of Polyaniline. Advanced Functional Materials, 14(5), 479-486.
- X-ray Diffraction Studies of Multiple Orientation in Poly(9,9-bis(2-ethylhexyl)fluorene-2,7-diyl) Thin Films. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 107(45), 12425-12430.
- Theoretical Investigations into the Structural and Electronic Influences on the Hydrogen Bonding in Doped Polyaniline. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 107(38), 7604-7610.
- Correlated proton affinities of arylphosphines. Chemical Physics Letters, 264(3-4), 454-458.
- Substituent effects on basicity in Group 15 compounds: an analysis based on proton affinities, charge distributions, and dipole polarizabilities. Canadian Journal of Chemistry, 75(1), 60-67.
- Electronic Structure of Aryl- and Alkylphosphines. Inorganic Chemistry, 35(20), 5805-5812.
- Interfacial Morphology between Ramie Fibers and Phenolic Resins: Effects of Plasma Treatment and Cure Cycle. Journal of Composite Materials, 002199832110655-002199832110655.
- Influence of molecular weight on the phase behavior and structure formation of branched side-chain hairy-rod polyfluorene in bulk phase. Physical Review E, 71(4).
- Ambient temperature method for the generation and Diels–Alder trapping of benzofuran-2,3-quinodimethane (2,3-dimethylidene-2,3-dihydrobenzofuran). J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1(23), 2827-2832.
- The response of aerospace composites to temperature and humidity, Polymer Composites in the Aerospace Industry (pp. 253-287). Elsevier
- The response of aerospace composites to temperature and humidity, Polymer Composites in the Aerospace Industry (pp. 335-369).
Conference proceedings papers
- Low-Voltage SEM of Natural Plant Fibers: Microstructure Properties (Surface and Cross-Section) and their Link to the Tensile Properties. Procedia Engineering, Vol. 200 (pp 295-302) View this article in WRRO
- Observation and quantification of damage evolution in crossply carbon fibre composites at low temperature using digtal image correlation. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials, Vol. 2015-July
- Characterisation of the tensile and fracture properties of filament wound carbon fibre rings. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Predicting the material properties of a polyurethane matrix (a composite within a composite). ECCM 2012 - Composites at Venice, Proceedings of the 15th European Conference on Composite Materials
- Rate dependent multiscale modelling of a fibre-reinforced composite. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials
- Multiple orientation and nematic-hexagonal transition in uniaxially aligned polyfluorene thin films. Organic Light-Emitting Materials and Devices VIII
- Theoretical Investigations into the Structural and Electronic Influences on the Hydrogen Bonding in Doped Polyaniline. Synthetic Metals, Vol. 135-136 (pp 375-376)
- Research group
- Roderick Ramsdale-Capper
- Kanungnuch Keawsupsak
- Euan Gray
- Teaching interests
- MAT2310 Industrial Materials Processing
- MAT306/MAT6430 Composite Materials & Micromechanics
- MAT6103 Polymer Materials Science and Engineering
- MAT6104/AER476 Design and Manufacture of Composites
- MAT6106 Polymer Processing
- MAT6664 Science of Materials
- MAT6665 Materials Processing and Characterisation
- MEC207 Materials Processing