Dr Istvan Ballai
School of Mathematics and Statistics
+44 114 222 3833
Full contact details
School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Research interests
Dr. Istvan Ballai's main research interest is in linear and nonlinear MHD waves occurring in solar and interplanetary plasmas.
Waves can carry energy and momentum; when transferred to inhomogeneous plasmas they can heat or accelerate the plasma therefore MHD waves may play an important role in explaining the observed high temperatures in the solar corona. Waves can transport information about the environment in which they propagate, so they serve as a perfect tool for plasma diagnostics.
We use local and global coronal waves to find average values for magnetic field and transport coefficients in the solar corona. When the temperature of the plasma is not high enough to ensure a full ionisation, the plasma becomes partially ionised with particles of different species colliding and modifying each other momentum and energy.
Dr Istvan Ballai's reserch interest also covers dynamical aspects in such plasmas, including waves and instabilities, non-equilibrium effects, etc.
This person does not have any publications available.
- Comparison of Exact and Approximate MHD Slow Body Mode Solutions in Photospheric Waveguides. The Astrophysical Journal, 938(1), 32-32.
- Small-scale solar jet formation and their associated waves and instabilities. Advances in Space Research.
- New Approach for Analyzing Dynamical Processes on the Surface of Photospheric Vortex Tubes. The Astrophysical Journal, 928(1), 3-3.
- Magnetohydrodynamic Wave Mode Identification in Circular and Elliptical Sunspot Umbrae: Evidence for High-order Modes. The Astrophysical Journal, 927(2), 201-201.
- The importance of horizontal Poynting flux in the solar photosphere. The Astrophysical Journal, 927(2).
- Waves in weakly ionized solar plasmas. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 511(4), 5274-5286.
- Critical science plan for the Daniel K. Inouye solar telescope (DKIST). Solar Physics, 296(4). View this article in WRRO
- Proper orthogonal and dynamic mode decomposition of sunspot data. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 379(2190). View this article in WRRO
- Slow magnetoacoustic waves in gravitationally stratified two-fluid plasmas in strongly ionized limit. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 501(2), 1940-1950.
- Generation of low-frequency kinetic waves at the footpoints of pre-flare coronal loops. Solar Physics, 295(12). View this article in WRRO
- Diagnostics of plasma ionisation using torsional Alfén waves. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 635. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic Rayleigh-Taylor instability at a contact discontinuity with an oblique magnetic field. Astronomy and Astrophysics. View this article in WRRO
- Linear Waves in Partially Ionized Plasmas in Ionization Non-equilibrium. Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Propagation of leaky surface waves on contact magnetohydrodynamic discontinuities in incompressible plasmas. Physics of Plasmas, 25(12). View this article in WRRO
- Dispersive shock waves in partially ionised plasmas. Advances in Space Research. View this article in WRRO
- Propagation of Leaky MHD Waves at Discontinuities with Tilted Magnetic Field. Solar Physics, 293. View this article in WRRO
- Rayleigh-Taylor instabilities with sheared magnetic fields in partially ionised plasmas. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 609, A23-A23. View this article in WRRO
- Dissipative instabilities in a partially ionised prominence plasma slab. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 610, A56-A56. View this article in WRRO
- Dissipative instability in a partially ionised prominence plasma slab. Astronomy & Astrophysics. View this article in WRRO
- Statistical study of spatio-temporal distribution of precursor solar flares associated with major flares. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 459(4), 3532-3539. View this article in WRRO
- Dissipative instability in partially ionised prominence plasmas. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 577, A82-A82. View this article in WRRO
- The P
1/P 2period ratio for kink oscillations of an asymmetrical coronal loop. Astronomische Nachrichten, 334(9), 948-951.
- Magnetoacoustic surface gravity waves at a spherical interface. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 527.
- The dynamical solar atmosphere. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 218(1).
- Mean shear flows generated by nonlinear resonant Alfveacuten waves. PHYS PLASMAS, 16(7). View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear resonant absorption of fast magnetoacoustic waves in strongly anisotropic and dispersive plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 16(4). View this article in WRRO
- On the validity of nonlinear Alfven resonance in space plasmas. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 494(1), 317-327. View this article in WRRO
- The problem of phase mixed shear Alfven waves in the solar corona revisited. ASTRON NACHR, 329(8), 780-785. View this article in WRRO
- Forced oscillations of coronal loops driven by EIT waves. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 488(3), 1125-1132. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear theory of resonant slow waves in anisotropic and dispersive plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 15(8). View this article in WRRO
- MHD waves at a spherical interface modelling EIT waves. ASTRON NACHR, 328(8), 769-772.
- Dispersive shock waves in the solar wind. ASTRON NACHR, 328(8), 734-737.
- Untitled. ASTRON NACHR, 328(8), 725-725.
- Heating of the solar and stellar coronae: a review. ASTRON NACHR, 328(8), 726-733.
- Thermosolutal stability of a two-component rotating plasma with finite Larmor radius. PROC ROM ACAD SER A, 8(2), 111-120.
- Thermally damped linear compressional waves in a 2D solar coronal model. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 3(S247), 320-323. View this article in WRRO
- MHD waves at a spherical interface modelling coronal global EIT waves. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 3(S247), 251-254.
- Coronal global EIT waves as tools for multiple diagnostics. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 3(S247), 243-250. View this article in WRRO
- Sampling the coronal magnetic field. AIP Conference Proceedings, 934, 44-53.
- The damping of slow magnetoacustic waves in coronal loops. J OPTOELECTRON ADV M, 8(4), 1562-1564.
- Magnetohydrodynamic modes in a periodic magnetic steady state medium. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 449(3), 1193-1202.
- Slow magnetohydrodynamic waves in stratified and viscous plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 13(4).
- Untitled. PHILOS T ROY SOC A, 364(1839), 471-472.
- Diagnostics of local and global coronal magnetic field using global coronal waves. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 2(233), 132-133.
- Propagating magnetohydrodynamics waves in coronal loops. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 364(1839), 461-472.
- On the nature of coronal EIT waves. ASTROPHYS J, 633(2), L145-L148.
- The sound of the Sun. ASTRON GEOPHYS, 46(4), 27-30.
- Seismology of the sun: From the inner core to the corona. Observatory, 125(1187), 224-227.
- The Sun: for academics, students and idiots. Astronomy and Geophysics, 45(4), 4.44-4.45.
- The effect of anisotropy on the propagation of linear compressional waves in magnetic flux tubes: Applications to astrophysical plasmas. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 415(2), 691-703.
- Damping of compressional waves in coronal prominences. European Space Agency, (Special Publication) ESA SP(547), 211-214.
- Damping of coronal EIT waves as a tool for plasma diagnostics. European Space Agency, (Special Publication) ESA SP(547), 433-440.
- On dissipative effects in solar prominences. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 410(2), L17-L19.
- Linear and non-linear MHD wave propagation in steady-state magnetic cylinders. SOL PHYS, 217(2), 199-223.
- Solitary waves in a Hall solar wind plasma. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 404(2), 701-707.
- Extended Leibovich-Roberts equation in rarefied plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 9(10), 4280-4284.
- Ducted compressional waves in the magnetosphere in the double-polytropic approximation. ANN GEOPHYS-GERMANY, 20(10), 1553-1558.
- Linear and nonlinear wave propagation in rarefied plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 9(6), 2593-2603.
- Dynamics of nonlinear resonant slow MHD waves in twisted flux tubes. NONLINEAR PROC GEOPH, 9(2), 79-86.
- Nonlinear theory of resonant slow MHD waves in twisted magnetic flux tubes. J PLASMA PHYS, 67, 79-97. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear resonant absorption of fast magnetoacoustic waves due to coupling into slow continue in the solar atmosphere. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 368(2), 662-675.
- View this article in WRRO Nonlinear theory of non-axisymmetric resonant slow waves in straight magnetic flux tubes. J PLASMA PHYS, 64, 579-599.
- View this article in WRRO Linear and nonlinear resonant interaction of sound waves in dissipative layers. J PLASMA PHYS, 64, 235-247.
- Resonant absorption of nonlinear slow MHD waves in isotropic steady plasmas - II. Application: Resonant acoustic waves. SOL PHYS, 186(1-2), 67-97.
- Resonant absorption of nonlinear slow MHD waves in isotropic steady plasmas - I. Theory. SOL PHYS, 180(1-2), 65-79.
- Interaction of sound waves with slow dissipative layers in anisotropic plasmas in the approximation of weak nonlinearity. PHYS PLASMAS, 5(6), 2264-2273.
- Nonlinear theory of slow dissipative layers in anisotropic plasmas. PHYS PLASMAS, 5(1), 252-260.
- Generation of Localised Vertical Streams in Unstable Stratified Atmosphere. Fluids, 6(12), 454-454.
- Statistical relationship between the succeeding solar flares detected by the RHESSI satellite. MNRAS, 441, 1157-1165. View this article in WRRO
- Three-dimensional numerical simulation of magnetohydrodynamic-gravity waves and vortices in the solar atmosphere. View this article in WRRO
- Sausage Mode Propagation in a Thick Magnetic Flux Tube. 2013SoPh..tmp..229P. View this article in WRRO
- Transverse kink oscillations of expanding coronal loops. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of the environment on the P1/P2 period ratio for kink oscillations of coronal loops. View this article in WRRO
- TRACE Observations of Driven Loop Oscillations.
- Nonlinear effects in resonant layers in solar and space plasmas.
- Resonant Absorption of Fast Magnetoacoustic Waves due to Coupling into the Slow and Alfven Continua in the Solar Atmosphere. Solar Physics 06/2010.
- The effect of longitudinal flow on resonantly damped kink oscillations.
- Time-dependent properties of sunspot groups. I. Lifetime and asymmetric evolution. Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO Sheffield University Nova Rocket Innovative Design Engineering (SUNRIDE). 24th ESA Symposium on European Rocket and Balloon Programmes and Related Research Proceedings (pp 122-127). Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 16 June 2019 - 20 June 2019.
- Global coronal seismology. SOLAR PHYSICS, Vol. 246(1) (pp 177-185)
- Thermally damped waves in the solar corona. FLOWS, BOUNDARIES, INTERACTIONS, Vol. 934 (pp 64-70)
- MHD waves in stratified and dissipative plasmas. Fifty Years of Romanian Astrophysics, Vol. 895 (pp 141-146)
- Nonlinear waves in solar plasmas - a review. First International Workshop and Summer School on Plasma Physics, Vol. 44 (pp 20-29)
- Wave damping in hall plasmas - Application to the solar wind. SOLMAG 2002: PROCEEDINGS OF THE MAGNETIC COUPLING OF THE SOLAR ATMOSPHERE EUROCONFERENCE AND IAU COLLOQUIUM 188, Vol. 505 (pp 345-348)
- Linear and nonlinear waves in dilute plasmas. WAVES IN DUSTY, SOLAR, AND SPACE PLASMAS, Vol. 537 (pp 152-159)
- Absorption of fast magnetosonic waves in the solar atmosphere in the limit of weak nonlinearity. WAVES IN DUSTY, SOLAR, AND SPACE PLASMAS, Vol. 537 (pp 144-151)
- Strongly nonlinear resonant MHD waves in the steady solar magnetic canopy. 9TH EUROPEAN MEETING ON SOLAR PHYSICS: MAGNETIC FIELDS AND SOLAR PROCESSES, VOLS 1 AND 2, Vol. 448 (pp 263-267)
- Nonlinear resonant MHD waves in the atmosphere of the sun. 8TH SOHO WORKSHOP: PLASMA DYNAMICS AND DIAGNOSTICS IN THE SOLAR TRANSITION REGION AND CORONA, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 446 (pp 155-160)
- Research group
Past grants, as Principal Investigator
Instabilities in partially ionized prominence plasmas Leverhulme Damping of Forced Oscillations in Coronal Loops RS Conference Attendance RS Global Coronal Seismology Using SOHO/EIT Observations Nuffield
Past grants, as Coinvestigator
Application to STFC for Consolidated Grant Support for the Solar Physics and Space Plasma Research Centre (SP2RC) STFC Consolidated Grant Support for the Solar Physics and Space Plasma Research Centre (SP2RC) STFC Heating and Magneto-Seismology of the Solar Atmosphere STFC
- Teaching interests
- Differential and difference equations
- Complex Analysis
- Numerical methods