Dr Andrew F. Nowakowski
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Industrial Liaison Officer
+44 114 222 7812
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Andrew joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2004 having previously spent five years as a post-doctoral Research Associate at UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology).
He obtained his PhD from Warsaw University of Technology, where he studied in the Department of Mechanical, Aeronautical and Power Engineering.
- Research interests
Andrew's research interests are in the area of aerodynamics, multi-component and multi-phase flows. In all these categories, the work aims to construct the algorithms for determining approximate solutions of relevant flow problems.
Then, numerical methods are analysed and computer codes implementing the algorithms are developed, first for the purpose of showing the efficacy of the discretization methods and ultimately, to solve problems of practical interest.
The developed numerical technique based on vortex method was used to compute hydrodynamic forces for the flow past a rotating body.
Andrew's group created a novel approach for calculation of the flow problem in hydrocyclones and developed its own specialist finite element software package, which was used to calculate the three-dimensional incompressible flow in complex geometries.
Most recently, a computational simulation of two-phase compressible flow has been proposed for safety analysis of chemical reactors. The approach taken in this research enables the resolution of multi-phase mixtures and interface problems between compressible fluids.
All the projects necessitate close co-operation between participants from different universities and industry. Academic colleagues around the world use the software modules created by Andrew and his group.
- New Approaches in Modeling Multiphase Flows and Dispersion in Turbulence, Fractal Methods and Synthetic Turbulence. Netherlands: Springer Netherlands.
- Enhancing the thermal performance of PCM in a shell and tube latent heat energy storage system by utilizing innovative fins. Energy Reports, 7, 120-126.
- Simulation of swirling flow with a vortex breakdown using modified shear stress transport model. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 60(16), 6016-6020.
- Performance enhancement of PCM latent heat thermal energy storage system utilizing a modified webbed tube heat exchanger. Energy Reports, 6, 76-85.
- Non-Equilibrium Evaporation/Condensation Model. International Journal of Applied Mechanics, 9.
- Simulation-Driven Aerodynamic Design Using Variable-Fidelity Models L. Leifsson and S. Koziel Imperial College Press 57 Shelton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9HE, UK. 2015. Distributed by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 5 Toh Tuck Link, Singapore 596224. 423pp. Illustrated. £96. ISBN 978-1-78326-628-9.. The Aeronautical Journal, 121(1236), 266-267.
- Fractional random walk lattice dynamics. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 50(5), 055003-055003. View this article in WRRO
- Recurrence of random walks with long-range steps generated by fractional Laplacian matrices on regular networks and simple cubic lattices. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 50(50), 505004-505004.
- A fractional generalization of the classical lattice dynamics approach. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, 92, 43-50. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of the energy-spectrum law on clustering patterns for inertial particles subjected to gravity in kinematic simulation. Physical Review E, 94(4). View this article in WRRO
- Modified shear stress transport model with curvature correction for the prediction of swirling flow in a cyclone separator. Chemical Engineering Science, 147, 150-165. View this article in WRRO
- Lattice fractional Laplacian and its continuum limit kernel on the finite cyclic chain. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, 82, 38-47. View this article in WRRO
- Predominant location of coronary artery atherosclerosis in the left anterior descending artery. The impact of septal perforators and the myocardial bridging effect. Kardiochirurgia i Torakochirurgia Polska / Polish Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 12(4), 379-385. View this article in WRRO
- Fractional Laplacian matrix on the finite periodic linear chain and its periodic Riesz fractional derivative continuum limit. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 48.
- Synthetic Turbulence Models, Wavelet and CFD. Ecoftac Bulletin, 101, 30-37.
- Introduction to Compressible Fluid Flow – Second edition P. H. Oosthuizen and W. E. Carscallen CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 6000 Broken Sound Parkway NW, Suite 300, Boca Raton, FL, 33487-2742, USA. 2014. Distributed by Taylor & Francis Group, 2 Park Square, Milton Park, Abingdon, OX14 4RN, UK. 558pp. Illustrated. £76.99. ISBN 978-1-4398-7791-3.. The Aeronautical Journal, 118(1209), 1376-1377.
- OP-064 The Distribution of Coronary Artery Atherosclerosis Burden. The Impact of Septal Perforators on Plaque Localization at the Left Anterior Descending Artery; The Effect of Myocardial Bridging. The American Journal of Cardiology, 113(7), S19-S19.
- Application of a multi-component Eulerian approach to capture interface evolution and vorticity generation in compressible multiphase flow. PAMM, 14(1), 671-672.
- Vorticity generation in compressible multiphase flows. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 530, 012020-012020.
- The fractional Laplacian as a limiting case of a self-similar spring model and applications to n-dimensional anomalous diffusion. FRACTIONAL CALCULUS AND APPLIED ANALYSIS, 16(4), 827-859.
- Profilaktyka raka szyjki macicy – problem interdyscyplinarny. Czy i jak możemy poprawić sytuację w Polsce?. Pediatria Polska, 88(4), 340-346.
- Computing compressible two-component flow systems using diffuse interface method. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 229 LNEE, 135-146.
- Three-dimensional laminar-separation bubble on a cambered thin wing at low reynolds numbers. Journal of Aircraft, 50(1), 152-163.
- A continuum theory for one-dimensional self-similar elasticity and applications to wave propagation and diffusion. European Journal of Applied Mathematics, 23(6), 709-735.
- Engineering Computations and Modelling in MATLAB/Simulink. O. A. Yakimenko, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 500, Reston, VA 20191-4344, USA. 2011. 912pp. Illustrated. $79.95 (AIAA Members); $104.95 (Non-Members). ISBN 978-1-60086-781-1.. The Aeronautical Journal, 116(1181), 774-774.
- Understanding the drag reduction properties of the flow over k and d -type rough surfaces. ECCOMAS 2012 - European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, e-Book Full Papers, 1192-1208.
- An introduction to computational fluid dynamics based on numerical simulation of pulsatile flow in the left coronary artery. Kardiochirurgia i Torakochirurgia Polska, 9(3), 366-374.
- An approach to generalized one-dimensional self-similar elasticity. International Journal of Engineering Science.
- Simulation of Multiphase Flows with Strong Shocks and Density Variations. PAMM, 11(1), 781-782.
- Interaction of a confined jet with an obstacle creating vortex separation. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 318(SECTION 3).
- Experimental study of a turbulent pipe flow through a fractal plate. Journal of Turbulence, 12, 1-20.
- Presence of a Richardson's regime in kinematic simulations. PHYS REV E, 83(5). View this article in WRRO
- Synthetic models and environment, LMFA, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France. ERCOFTAC Bulletin, (In Press)-(In Press).
- Dispersion relations and wave operators in self-similar quasicontinuous linear chains. PHYS REV E, 80(1). View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of the vibrational mode spectrum of a linear chain with spatially exponential properties. INT J ENG SCI, 47(2), 209-220. View this article in WRRO
- Compressible multiphase flow models with interfaces.. ERCOFTAC Bulletin, 77, 31-31.
- KS input spectrum, some fundamental works on the vibration spectrum of a self-similar linear chain. ERCOFTAC Bulletin, 77, 33-33.
- Synthetic models and vortex methods, Warsaw University of Technology Warsaw, Poland. ERCOFTAC Bulletin, 81, 23-26-23-26.
- The Application of HLLC Numerical Solver to the Reduced Multiphase Model. Intl J. of Mech., Industrial and Aerospace Eng., 1, 74-80-74-80.
- Effect of particle gravity on the fractal dimension of particle line in three-dimensional turbulent flows using kinematic simulation. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 40, 198-202.
- Effect of inertia on the fractal dimension of particle line in three-dimensional turbulent flows using Kinematic Simulation. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 40, 189-193.
- The application of HLLC numerical solver to the reduced multiphase model. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 40, 302-308.
- The simulation of the flow within a hydrocyclone operating with an air core and with an inserted metal rod. CHEM ENG J, 143(1-3), 51-61.
- Understanding air core formation in hydrocyclones by studying pressure distribution as a function of viscosity. INT J MINER PROCESS, 86(1-4), 18-25.
- The Numerical Modelling of the Flow in Hydrocyclones. KONA POWDER PART J(26), 66-80.
- Non-equilibrium gas-liquid transition model. PAMM, 7(1), 2100029-2100030.
- A simplified chemical kinetics model for decomposition of Trigonox 21S. CHEM ENG J, 131(1-3), 113-121.
- Numerical and experimental examination of swirl flow in a cylindrical container with rotating lids. MINERALS ENGINEERING, 20(4), 361-367.
- The performance of the empirical models on industrial hydrocyclone design. INT J MINER PROCESS, 80(2-4), 100-115.
- An investigation of the effect of the particle-fluid and particle-particle interactions on the flow within a hydrocyclone. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, 111(2-3), 189-197.
- Numerical prediction of outlet velocity patterns in solid-liquid separators. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, 111(2-3), 173-180.
- Dual-modality probe for characterization of heterogeneous mixtures. IEEE SENS J, 5(2), 134-138.
- The experimental study of the flow within a transparent hydrocyclone with a vortex finder attachment. American Filtration and Separations Society 2005 - 18th Annual Conference, AFS 2005.
- Analysis, design, and modeling of a rotary vane engine (RVE). J MECH DESIGN, 126(4), 711-720.
- Application of CFD to modelling of the flow in hydrocyclones. Is this a realizable option or still a research challenge?. MINERALS ENGINEERING, 17(5), 661-669.
- Reactor safety anlaysis based on a developed two-phase compressible flow simulation. Proceedings of the 7th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA 2004, 1, 929-936.
- Dynamic behaviour of rotary vane engines with one, two and four work units. Proceedings of the 7th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA 2004, 2, 483-494.
- Investigation of swirling flow structure in hydrocyclones. CHEM ENG RES DES, 81(A8), 862-873.
- The hydrodynamics of a hydrocyclone based on a three-dimensional multi-continuum model. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, 80(1-3), 275-282.
- An Effective Approach to Computation of Forces in Viscous Incompressible Flows. Journal of Computational Physics, 159(2), 231-245.
- Domain decomposition for the Navier-Stokes equations in complex geometries. ZAMM Zeitschrift fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 76(SUPPL. 5), 431-432.
- The pressure problem in the stochastic vortex blob method. ESAIM: Proceedings, 1, 125-134.
- Simple model of epidemic dynamics with memory effects. Physical Review E, 105(2).
- Effect of gravity on clustering patterns and inertial particle attractors in kinematic simulations. Physical Review E, 91(4).
- The Role of Septal Perforators and “Myocardial Bridging Effect” in Atherosclerotic Plaque Distribution in the Coronary Artery Disease. Polish Journal of Radiology, 80, 195-201. View this article in WRRO
- Dispersion relations and wave operators in self-similar quasicontinuous linear chains. Physical Review E, 80(1). View this article in WRRO
- Passage of a shock wave through inhomogeneous media and its impact on gas-bubble deformation. Physical Review E, 92(2). View this article in WRRO
- Generalized Space–Time Fractional Dynamics in Networks and Lattices, Advanced Structured Materials (pp. 221-249). Springer International Publishing
- On Recurrence and Transience of Fractional RandomWalks in Lattices, Advanced Structured Materials (pp. 555-580). Springer International Publishing
- Computing Compressible Two-Component Flow Systems Using Diffuse Interface Method, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering (pp. 135-146). Springer Netherlands
- Preface In Nicolleau F, Cambon C, Redondo J, Vassilicos J, Reeks M & Nowakowski A (Ed.), New Approaches in Modeling Multiphase Flows and Dispersion in Turbulence, Fractal Methods and Synthetic Turbulence (pp. 7-9). Netherlands: Springer Netherlands.
- KS Input Spectrum, Some Fundamental Works on the Vibration Spectrum of a Self-similar Linear Chain In Nicolleau FCGA, Cambon C, Redondo JM, Vassilicos JC, Reeks M & Nowakowski AF (Ed.), New Approaches in Modeling Multiphase Flows and Dispersion in Turbulence, Fractal Methods and Synthetic Turbulence (pp. 23-42). Springer Verlag
Conference proceedings papers
- Thermal performance enhancement of energy storage systems via phase change materials utilising an innovative webbed tube heat exchanger. Energy Procedia, Vol. 151 (pp 57-61), 11 September 2018 - 12 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- The Fractional Laplacian as continuum limit of self-similar lattice models. CHAOS 2013 - 6th Chaotic Modeling and Simulation International Conference, Proceedings (pp 411-417)
- On equations of state for simulations of multiphase flows. Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 3 (pp 1963-1968)
- Numerical simulation of compressible two-phase flows using an eulerian type reduced model. Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 3 (pp 1835-1840)
- Fractal orifices for flowmetering. ASME 2012 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA 2012, Vol. 2 (pp 21-27)
- Computing the Evolution of Interfaces Using Multi-component Flow Equations. NEW APPROACHES IN MODELING MULTIPHASE FLOWS AND DISPERSION IN TURBULENCE, FRACTAL METHODS AND SYNTHETIC TURBULENCE, Vol. 18 (pp 119-139)
- Simulations of compressible multiphase flows through a tube of varying cross-section. ASME 2012 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA 2012, Vol. 2 (pp 101-110)
- Fractal patterns in turbulent flow for laden particles. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 318(SECTION 5)
- Synthetic turbulence prediction in non-Kolmogorov turbulence. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 318(SECTION 4)
- Synthetic turbulence prediction in non-Kolmogorov turbulence. Journal of Physics Conference Series, Vol. 318(4) (pp 042009)
- COMPUTATIONAL STUDY OF A TARGET FLUIDIC FLOWMETER. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME 10TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE ON ENGINEERING SYSTEMS DESIGN AND ANALYSIS, 2010, VOL 3 (pp 361-367)
- Flow separation on cambered plate wing MAVs with various aspect ratios. RAeS Conference on Applied Aerodynamics: Capabilities and Future Requirements
- EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF TURBULENCE ACROSS THE FRACTAL ORIFICE PLATE. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME 10TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE ON ENGINEERING SYSTEMS DESIGN AND ANALYSIS, 2010, VOL 3 (pp 353-360)
- Turbulent flow structure investigation within target fluidic flowmeter. ADVANCES IN TURBULENCE XII - PROCEEDINGS OF THE 12TH EUROMECH EUROPEAN TURBULENCE CONFERENCE, Vol. 132 (pp 931-931)
- Characterisation of heterogeneous mixtures by using thick-film ultrasonic transducers. 3rd World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography (pp 761-766)
- Performance of some finite elements in numerical simulation of complex incompressible three dimensional flow. ANALYSIS AND SIMULATION OF MULTIFIELD PROBLEMS, Vol. 12 (pp 155-161)
- Effect of gravity on clustering patterns and inertial particles attractors. 15 TH E UROPEAN T URBULENCE C ONFERENCE(8) (pp 1-2). DELFT , THE NETHERLANDS, 25 August 2015 - 28 August 2015.
- View this article in WRRO Sur une généralisation de l’opérateur fractionnaire. 20ème Congrès Français de Mécanique (pp (ID: 1530)-(ID: 1530)). Besançon, France
- Characteristics of Unsteady Flows in Enclosed Chamber with an Obstacle Creating Vortex Separation. 6th AIAA Theoretical Fluid Mechanics Conference (pp (ID: 1023232)-(ID: 1023232)). Sheraton Waikiki and the Hawaii Convention Center Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
- Wave Propagation in Quasi-continuous Linear Chains with Self-similar Harmonic Interactions - Towards a Fractal Mechanics. First German-French-Russian Symposium on Generalized Continua
- Experimental study of turbulence across the fractal orifice plate. The ASME 2010 10th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis (ESDA 2010) (pp ESDA2010-24108-ESDA2010-24108). Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Computational study of a target fluidic flowmeter. The ASME 2010 10th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis (ESDA 2010) (pp ESDA2010-24133-ESDA2010-24133). Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Richardson’s law and the sweeping problem in KS. Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France
- Turbulent flow structure investigation within target fluidic flowmeter. 12th EUROMECH European Turbulence Conference (pp 931-932-931-932)
- Dispersion Relation and Wave Propagation in Linear Chains with Self-Similar Distributions of Harmonic Interactions. IV European Conference on Computational Mechanics. Palais des Congrès, Paris, France
- Wave propagation in linear chains with self-similar harmonic interactions. 16th US National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (pp USNCTAM2010-339-USNCTAM2010-339). State College, Pennsylvania, USA
- View this article in WRRO Relations de dispersion pour des chaînes linéaire comportant des interactions harmoniques auto-similaires. 10ème Congrès Français d’Acoustique. Lyon, France
- A self-similar field theory for 1D linear elastic continua and self-similar diffusion problem.
- Random walks with long-range steps generated by functions of Laplacian matrices. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, 2018, 043404-043404.
- Fractional Lattice Dynamics: Nonlocal constitutive behavior generated by power law matrix functions and their fractional continuum limit kernels.
- An approach to anomalous diffusion in the n-dimensional space generated by a self-similar Laplacian.
- Teaching activities
- MEC407 Fundamental Biomechanics
- MEC424 Aerodynamic Design