Professor Bill Nimmo
PhD, FEI, C.Eng
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Professor of Energy Engineering and Sustainability
Head of the Faculty of Engineering Graduate School
Associate Principal Editor, Elsevier Journal FUEL
+44 114 215 7213
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Professor Nimmo's background is in chemical and combustion engineering having gained his PhD in Fluidized Bed Waste Gasification Processes at Leeds University in the mid 1980’s.
A period in industry followed, working on full scale coal gasifier development (350 tpd) for British Gas, Westfield Development Centre, Scotland, as part of the British Gas SNG programme in partnership with Lurgi GmbH. Projects involved the study of fuel bed behaviour at full scale and process development for operation with caking and difficult coals.
Other projects involved commissioning and operation of pilot plant associated with gas clean up and upgrading to substitute natural gas using real syn-gas from the full scale plant.
Returning to Leeds, Bill pursued a number of research projects related to coal, gas and oil combustion and gasification as a Senior Research Fellow with particular emphasis on NOx, and SOx emission control in partnership with major UK power generation companies.
Recently, Bill’s research activities have been closely related to the development of the UK national UKCCSRC PACT facilities focused on carbon capture processes and in particular to pilot scale oxy-fuel combustion projects.
Additionally, significant research activity has been developed in the areas of fluidized-bed biomass combustion, corrosion associated with biomass and oxy-fuel combustion and small scale anaerobic digestion systems for both urban and rural locations in developing countries.
He was appointed Associate Professor and since 2009, he has contributed to research projects with a total value in excess of £7m as principal or co-investigator.
Bill joined the University of Sheffield in February 2015 and has since attracted new funding with a value of £1M (£3.1M total) with 7 active research grants in the areas of ultra super-critical fluidised bed combustion, anaerobic digestion, energy from waste and knowledge economy partnership (KEP) funded by EPSRC, Innovate UK/EPSRC/BBSRC, Royal Academy of Engineering and the British Council.
Bill’s other funded activities are in the areas of pulverised coal/biomass oxy fuel combustion and corrosion studies related to future advanced power generation developments.
He has published 150 papers including 78 refereed journal articles, 2 book chapters and 1 patent.
As Head of the Engineering Graduate School, Bill is responsible for leadership and management in the recruitment, training and progression of PGR students in Engineering. Bill is a member of several Departmental and Faculty and University committees.
Externally, bill is an active Member of the Fuel and Energy Research Forum, Exec. Committee, Chair of the Environ. Division; Member of the Energy Institute Yorkshire branch committee; Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College and is an Associate Principal Editor of the Elsevier journal FUEL.
Bill’s teaching activities have been closely related to his research activity and has lectured in the areas of combustion theory and design, biomass energy, CCS plant design and conventional power.
A particularly rewarding and enjoyable part of Bill’s activity is the supervision and development of the research students and early career researchers working on projects within the Energy 2050 Group.
- Research interests
- Biomass combustion
- Biomass gasification
- Anaerobic digestion
- Waste to energy
- Corrosion studies
- Coal combustion/gasification
- Sustainability evaluation of biomass direct gasification using chemical looping technology for power generation with and w/o CO2 capture. Energy, 205. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of oxy-fuel combustion on ash deposition of pulverized wood pellets. Biofuel Research Journal, 6(1), 927-936. View this article in WRRO
- A feasibility analysis of distributed power plants from agricultural residues resources gasification in rural China. Biomass and Bioenergy, 121, 1-12. View this article in WRRO
- Experimental investigation of NO reburning during oxy-coal burner staging. Energy and Fuels. View this article in WRRO
- Mechanisms and Mitigation of Agglomeration during Fluidized Bed Combustion of Biomass: A Review. Fuel, 230, 452-473. View this article in WRRO
- Life cycle energy-economic-CO2 emissions evaluation of biomass/coal, with and without CO2 capture and storage, in a pulverized fuel combustion power plant in the United Kingdom. Applied Energy, 225, 258-272. View this article in WRRO
- Prediction of the radiative heat transfer in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces. Applied Energy, 211, 423-537. View this article in WRRO
- Kinetic parameters of the intrinsic reactivity of woody biomass and coal chars via thermogravimetric analysis. Fuel, 210, 811-825. View this article in WRRO
- Selective non-catalytic reduction – Fe-based additive hybrid technology. Fuel, 208, 353-362. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-mode combustion process monitoring on a pulverised fuel combustion test facility based on flame imaging and random weight network techniques. Fuel, 202, 656-664. View this article in WRRO
- Pollutant and Corrosion Control Technology and Efficient Coal Combustion. Energy & Fuels, 31(5), 5581-5596. View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of micro-scale anaerobic digestion for management of urban organic waste: A case study in London, UK.. Waste Management. View this article in WRRO
- Geology and combustion perspectives of Pakistani coals from Salt Range and Trans Indus Range. International Journal of Coal Geology, 168, 202-213. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling the anaerobic digestion of solid organic waste – Substrate characterisation method for ADM1 using a combined biochemical and kinetic parameter estimation approach. Waste Management, 53, 40-54. View this article in WRRO
- Assessment and parameter identification of simplified models to describe the kinetics of semi-continuous biomethane production from anaerobic digestion of green and food waste. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 39(6), 977-992. View this article in WRRO
- A comparative assessment of biomass ash preparation methods using X-ray fluorescence and wet chemical analysis. Fuel, 182, 161-165. View this article in WRRO
- Numerical simulation and experimental validation of the hydrodynamics in a 350 kW bubbling fluidized bed combustor. International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 7(1), 27-35. View this article in WRRO
- Comparative techno-economic assessment of biomass and coal with CCS technologies in a pulverized combustion power plant in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 43, 82-92. View this article in WRRO
- Bubble-based EMMS mixture model applied to turbulent fluidization. Powder Technology, 281, 129-137. View this article in WRRO
- Reactivity Analysis of Pakistani Thar Lignite Reserves in Oxidizing Thermogravimetric Analysis Atmospheres. Energy & Fuels, 29(8), 5349-5360.
- Simulation of the calcium chloride aqueous salt solution spray regeneration process. Atomization and Sprays, 25(7), 571-586. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling an off-grid integrated renewable energy system for rural electrification in India using photovoltaics and anaerobic digestion. Renewable Energy, 74, 390-398. View this article in WRRO
- Prediction of biomass ash fusion behaviour by the use of detailed characterisation methods coupled with thermodynamic analysis. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy, 141, 275-284. View this article in WRRO
- Reactivity Analysis of Pakistani Thar Lignite Reserves in oxidizing Thermogravimetric Analysis Atmospheres. Energy and Fuels, 29(8), 5349-5360.
- Prediction of biomass ash fusion behaviour by the use of detailed characterization methods coupled with thermodynamic analysis.. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy.
- LES and RANS of air and oxy-coal combustion in a pilot-scale facility: Predictions of radiative heat transfer. Fuel, 151, 146-151. View this article in WRRO
- Co-firing coal with biomass in oxygen- and carbon dioxide-enriched atmospheres for CCS applications. Fuel, 137, 185-192.
- Fuel additive technology – NOx reduction, combustion efficiency and fly ash improvement for coal fired power stations. Fuel, 134, 293-306. View this article in WRRO
- Reactivity during bench-scale combustion of biomass fuels for carbon capture and storage applications. Fuel, 134, 171-179.
- Corrosion in oxyfuel environments and the effect of coal and biomass ash deposits.. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy.
- Combustion of Pakistani Lignite (Thar Coal) in a Pilot-Scale Pulverized Fuel Down-Fired Combustion Test Facility. Energy & Fuels, 28(2), 1541-1547.
- Investigation of the Influence of Metallic Fuel Improvers on Coal Combustion/Pyrolysis. Energy & Fuels, 28(2), 1515-1523.
- An experimental study of ash behaviour and the potential fate of ZnO/Zn in the Co-combustion of pulverised South African coal and waste tyre rubber. Fuel, 111, 269-279.
- Robust Extension of the Coats–Redfern Technique: Reviewing Rapid and Realiable Reactivity Analysis of Complex Fuels Decomposing in Inert and Oxidizing Thermogravimetric Analysis Atmospheres. Energy & Fuels, 27(5), 2818-2826. View this article in WRRO
- NOx control in coal combustion by combining biomass co-firing, oxygen enrichment and SNCR. Fuel, 105, 283-292. View this article in WRRO
- Bio-CCS: Co-firing of Established Greenfield and Novel, Brownfield Biomass Resources under Air, Oxygen-enriched Air and Oxy-fuel Conditions. Energy Procedia, 37, 6062-6069.
- Deep-staged, oxygen enriched combustion of coal. Fuel, 101, 187-196.
- The effect of air staged, co-combustion of pulverised coal and biomass blends on NO
xemissions and combustion efficiency. Fuel, 90(1), 126-135.
- Cocombustion of Pulverized Coal with Waste Plastic and Tire Rubber Powders. Energy & Fuels, 25(1), 108-118.
- The effect of O-2 enrichment on NOx formation in biomass co-fired pulverised coal combustion. FUEL, 89(10), 2945-2952.
- Shea meal and cotton stalk as potential fuels for co-combustion with coal. Bioresource Technology, 101(19), 7614-7623.
- WITHDRAWN: Co-combustion of Agricultural residue Biomasses with Coal in a 20 kW h pilot plant. Bioresource Technology.
- Co-combustion of Agricultural Residues with Coal: Turning Waste into Energy. Energy & Fuels, 24(3), 2146-2153.
- Char oxidation study of Sugar cane bagasse, Cotton stalk, and Pakistani coal under 1% and 3% oxygen concentrations. Biomass and Bioenergy, 34, 263-271.
- Waste tyre rubber as a secondary fuel for power plants. Fuel, 88(12), 2473-2480.
- Response to the comment by J.C. Jones on ‘waste tyre rubber as a secondary fuel for power plants’. Fuel, 88(11), 2320-2320.
- Effect of oxygenated liquid additives on the urea based SNCR process. Journal of Environmental Management, 90(11), 3429-3435.
- Thermal analysis and devolatilization kinetics of cotton stalk, sugar cane bagasse and shea meal under nitrogen and air atmospheres. Bioresource Technology, 100(3), 1413-1418.
- Effects of aerosol heating rate on the properties of aggregates of lead zirconate titanate nanoparticles produced by spray pyrolysis. Journal of Materials Science, 43(18), 6353-6358.
- The evaluation of waste tyre pulverised fuel for NOx reduction by reburning. Fuel, 87(13-14), 2893-2900.
- Experimental and modeling study of the effect of CO and H2 on the urea DeNOx process in a 150kW laboratory reactor. Chemosphere, 70(6), 1059-1067.
- NOx control by ammonium carbonate and ammonia with hydrocarbons as additives. Journal of the Energy Institute, 81(3), 131-134.
- Enhanced NOxReduction with SO2Capture under Air-Staged Conditions by Calcium Magnesium Acetate in an Oil-Fired Tunnel Furnace. Energy & Fuels, 20(5), 1879-1885.
- New technology for control of NOx, SO2 and HCl emissions from large scale combustion plant using calcium magnesium acetate. Journal of the Energy Institute, 79(2), 92-100.
- Investigation of SO2, HCL and NOxControl from Waste Incinerators using a Novel Additive in a Pilot Scale Reactor. Environmental Technology, 27(5), 565-574.
- Calcium-based sorbents for simultaneous NOx/SOx reduction in a down-fired furnace. Fuel, 84(14-15), 1864-1873.
- Characterization of a Process for the In-Furnace Reduction of NOx, SO2, and HCl by Carboxylic Salts of Calcium. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 44(12), 4484-4494.
- The effect of sintering on sulphur capture by limestone and dolomite. Journal of the Energy Institute, 78(2), 81-89.
- Particle Formation During Spray Pyrolysis of Lead Zirconate Titanate. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 88(4), 839-844.
- Calcium magnesium acetate and urea advanced reburning for NO control with simultaneous SO2 reduction. Fuel, 83(9), 1143-1150.
- Simultaneous reduction of NOx and SO2 emissions from coal combustion by calcium magnesium acetate. Fuel, 83(2), 149-155.
- Formation of Lead Zirconate Titanate Powders by Spray Pyrolysis. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 86(9), 1474-1480.
- Optimisation of NOx reduction in advanced coal reburning systems and the effect of coal type☆. Fuel, 82(4), 373-384.
xcontrol. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 75(505), 100-106.
Optimisation of advanced coal reburning for NO
- . Journal of Materials Science, 37(16), 3381-3387.
- An investigation of important gas-phase reactions of nitrogenous species from the simulation of experimental measurements in combustion systems. Combustion and Flame, 124(4), 573-589.
- Nitrogen sulphur interactions in coal flames. Fuel, 80(7), 887-897.
- The simultaneous calcination and sintering of calcium based sorbents under a combustion atmosphere. Fuel, 79(12), 1515-1523.
- The simultaneous calcination and sintering of calcium-based sorbents. Fuel, 79(12), 1515-1523.
- Removal of H2S by Spray-Calcined Calcium Acetate. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 38(8), 2954-2962.
- Experimental and kinetic studies on the effect of sulfur-nitrogen interactions on no formation in flames. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 27(1), 1419-1426.
- Studies of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent-spray flames. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 71(488), 137-145.
- Evaluation of the chemical properties of coals and their maceral group constituents in relation to combustion reactivity using multi-variate analyses. Fuel, 77(7), 735-748.
- An Experimental Investigation of Sulphur-Nitrogen Interactions in Turbulent Spray Flames. Combustion Science and Technology, 110-111(1), 487-504.
3in practical liquid-fuel flames. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 68(477), 170-177.
Effect of fuel-nitrogen functionality on the formation of NO, HCN and NH
- The Prediction of NOx emissions from Spray combustion. combustion science and technology, 93(1-6), 153-172.
- The formation of NH3, HCN, and N2O in an air-staged fuel oil flame. Combustion and Flame, 85(3-4), 499-504.
- Control of NOx emission by Combustion-air Staging, The Measurement of NH3, HCN, NO and N2O Concentrations in Fuel-oil Flames. journal of the energy institute, 64, 128-134.
xemissions by combustion-air staging. The measurement of NH 3, HCN, NO and N 2O concentrations in fuel-oil flames. Journal of the Institute of Energy, 64(460), 128-134.
Control of NO
- Gasification and Pyrolysis of Peat in a Fluidised-bed. Innovation in Process Energy Utilisation, 105, 353-362.
- The control of spontaneous ignition under rapid compression. Symposium (International) on Combustion, 21(1), 447-454.
- Novel experimental investigation of spontaneous ignition of gaseous hydrocarbons. Nature, 322(6074), 46-47.
- Spontaneous ignition and engine knock under rapid compression. Combustion and Flame, 60(2), 215-218.
- Developments in nox emission control by 'reburning' in pulverised coal combustion, Coal Combustion Research (pp. 85-170).
- The Prediction of NOx Emission from Spray Combustion In Carvalho M, Fiveland W, Lockwood F & Papadopoulopus C (Ed.), Energy, Combustion and Environment (pp. 273-276). Gordon and Breach
Conference proceedings papers
- The Impact of Burner Staging on NO Reburning during Oxy-coal Combustion. CCT
- Experimental Investigation into Burner Staging during Oxy-coal Combustion. ECCRIA 12, 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018.
- Pilot-scale operational study of biomass usage in a fluidized bed combustor. ECCRIA 12, 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018.
- SNCR-Fuel Additive Based Hybrid Technology for Low NOx Pulverised Coal Combustion. ECCRIA 12, 5 September 2018 - 7 September 2018.
- Clean Coal Technology - Future Options. WEF 2018, 10 August 2018 - 12 August 2018.
- Minimising NO emissions from oxy-coal combustion: The impact of burner staging on NO reburning during oxy-coal combustion. IFRF 2018 Conference
- The effects of operational variables on defluidization in a fluidized bed biomass combustor.. IFRF 2018, 30 May 2018 - 31 May 2018.
- THE EFFECTS OF OPERATIONAL CONDITIONS ON AGGLOMERATION IN A FLUIDIZED BED COMBUSTOR USING BIOMASS. 26th european biomass conference and exhibition (EUBCE)
- Innovation in coal utilisation and promotion of modern mining practices in Pakistan: a new blended-learning course. Going Global 2017, 22 May 2017 - 24 May 2017.
- Comparison of Metal Aerosol Emissions from Air-Firing of Coal and Biomass for Carbon Capture Applications. NA, 2 September 2016 - 7 September 2016.
- Performance assessment of 1TPD post combustion CO2 capture with coal combustion. NA
- CFD Predictions of Biomass Combustion in a 250 kW Combustion Test Facility. NA, 2 September 2016 - 7 September 2016.
- Agglomeration studies in a 250kW pilot scale bubbling fluidised bed biomass combustor. NA
- Current Practices and Challenges in Utilization of Coal in Pakistan. NA
- Firing of 100% pulverized biomass in a 250 KW combustion test facility – effect of particle size on combustion performance. NA
- Advanced NOx Control by Combining In-Furnace Fuel Additive Combustion Technology and SNCR. NA
- Fuel additive efficient coal combustion technology. na, 8 August 2016 - 12 September 2016.
- Fuel additive efficient coal combustion. 33rd Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference: Coal - Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development, PCC 2016, Vol. 2016-August
- Status and Perspective of Concentrating Photovoltaic Systems: the Results of the BioCPV Project and Opportunities for a Sustainable Energy Supply to Rural Areas. Proceedings of the ISES Solar World Congress 2015, 8 November 2015 - 12 November 2015.
- Fuel Enrichment Clean Coal Technology for Improving Efficiency and Reducing Emissions. 10th European Conference on Coal Research and its Application. University of Hull, 15 September 2014 - 17 September 2014.
- OxyCAP UK: Oxyfuel Combustion - academic Programme for the UK. Energy Procedia, Vol. 63 (pp 504-510)
- The investigation of an iron based Fuel Additive on improving NOx reduction, quality of fly ash and combustion efficiency for pulverised coal combustion. 6th International Clean Coal Technologies. Thessaloniki, Greece, 12 May 2013 - 16 May 2013.
- Model based evaluation of control strategies for the operation of anaerobic digesters in a microgrid with variable biogas demand. 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion: Recovering (bio) Resources for the World. Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 25 June 2013 - 28 June 2013.
- Estimation of the kinetic model parameters of anaerobic digestion of waste materials using semi-continuous laboratory scale digesters. International Conference on Advances in Energy Research. Mumbai, India, 10 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- An analysis of the kinetics of coal and biomass decomposition under pyrolysis, and combustion in air-fired and oxyfuel conditions.. European Conference on Coal Research and Its Applications (ECCRIA), 10 September 2012 - 12 September 2012.
- Oxygen-Enriched Co-firing of Biomass with Coal.. World Resources Forum 2012. Beijing, China., 10 October 2012 - 14 October 2012.
- Low grade fuel gas production from peat and biomass in a fluidised bed. Advances in Combustion Technology: Improving the Environment and Energy Efficiency
- Waste Tyres as a Reburn Fuel for NOx Reduction in Power Plant.. The 9th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Envronment (Clean Air 2007), Oporto, Portugal July 2007
- NOx Reduction by Reburning with Waste Shredded Tyres. 2007 International Conference on Coal Science and Technology, Nottingham, Aug 2007
- The potential of waste tyre for NOx control by reburning. Advances in Combustion Technology: Improving the Environment and Energy Efficiency, 22 October 2007.
- A Novel Control Technology for Pollutant Reduction from Large Scale Combustion Plant using Calcium Magnesium Acetate. Eighth International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment, Lisbon, 27-30 June 2005.
- Reduction of NOx and SOx emissions from coal combustion by Calcium Magnesium Acetate. 5th European Conference on Coal Research and its Applications, Edinburgh, UK, September 2004
- Simultaneous Control Of Acid Gases and NOx From Waste Incinerator Flue Gases. Waste 2004: Integrated Waste Management and Pollution control:Policy and Practice, Research and Solutions (pp 53-62)
- Assessment of Calcium Magnesium Acetate and other Calcium Based Sorbents as NO and SO2 Reducers in Coal Combustion.. 5 European Conference on Coal Research, 6th – 8th September 2004
- Novel advanced pollution control methodologies for clean coal combustion: Simultaneous reduction of sulphur dioxide (SO2) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) using calcium magnesium acetate. SET for Europe, House of Commons Conference, Nov. 2003
- Novel calcuim based sorbents for the multi-component removal of Hg, HCl, SO2 and NO from incinerator waste gas streams. 4th International Symposium on Waste Treatment Technologies, Sheffield UK
- NOx control by advanced coal reburning. 6th European Conference on Industrial Boilers and Furnaces
- Advanced reburn. the 2001 BFRC British Flame Days
- The influence of sulphur on the formation of NO in pulverised coal flames. INDUSTRIAL FURNACES AND BOILERS, VOL II, PROCEEDINGS (pp 651-661)
- The effect of sintering on sulphur capture by limestone and dolomite. 5th International Conference on Combustion Technologies for a Clean Environment, Vol. II (pp 673-679)
- H2S Removal Using Spray-pyrolysed Calcium Acetate. 5th Int. Conference on Technologies for a clean Environment, Vol. 2 (pp pp.805)
- Experimental and kinetic studies on the effect of sulfur-nitrogen interactions on no formation in flames. Symposium (International) on Combustion, Vol. 27(1) (pp 1419-1426)
- Studies of sulphur-nitrogen interactions in turbulent, spray flames. 12th Members Conference, International Flame Research Foundation (IFRF)
- The removal of H2S from coal gas by calcium oxide: the effect of temperature and residence time on CaO/CaS sintering. Ninth International Conference on Coal Science, Vol. II (pp 1303-1306)
- Sulphur-Nitrogen interactions in flames and their effects on NO formation. 26th International Symposium on Combustion
- WASTE GASIFICATION AND PYROLYSIS FOR LOW-GRADE FUEL GAS.. IEE Conference Publication(233) (pp 77-80)
- The effect of agglomeration due to utilization of biomass on the bed of a pilot scale 350KW fluidized bed combustor. 23rd European Biomass Conference and Exhibition. Vienna, 1 June 2015 - 4 June 2015.
- Comparative Techno-economic Assessment of Biomass and Coal with CCS Technology in a Pulverised Combustion Power Plant in the United Kingdom. 23rd European Biomass Conference and Exhibition. Vienna, 1 June 2015 - 4 June 2015.
- Oxy-Fuel Combustion Performance Evaluation in a 250 kW Test Facility. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Fuel Enrichment Clean Coal Technology for Improving Efficiency & Reducing Emissions. ECCRIA 10, Hull 10th Sept 2014, 8 September 2014 - 10 September 2014.
- Oxygen-enriched co-combustion of biomass for CCS applications. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Effect Of Gas And Deposit Composition On Corrosion In Oxyfuel Environments.. The 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- A Study of The Effect of Agglomeration due to Utilisation of Biomass and Low Grade Coal on the Bed of a Pilot Scale 350KW Fluidised Bed. 35th International Symposium on Combustion. San Francisco, 3 August 2014 - 8 August 2014.
- Corrosion in Oxyfuel Environments and the Effect of Coal and Biomass Ash Deposits. European Conference on Coal Research and its Applications, ECCRIA 10, 15 September 2014.
- A study of the effect of agglomeration due to utilization of biomass and low grade coal on the bed of a pilot scale 350KW fluidized bed combustor system.. International Bioenergy Conference. Manchester, 11 March 2014 - 13 March 2014.
- Design concept and configuration of a hybrid renewable energy system for rural electrification in India through BioCPV project. IV th International Conference on Advances in Energy Research Indian Institute of Technology Bombay,, 10 December 2013 - 12 December 2013.
- 250 kW Oxy-fuel Combustion Test Facility. OCC3, 9 September 2013 - 11 September 2013.
- Model based evaluation of control strategies for the operation of anaerobic digesters in a microgrid with variable biogas demand.. 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion: Recovering (bio) Resources for the World, 25 June 2013.
- The investigation of an iron based Fuel Additive on improving NOx reduction, quality of fly ash and combustion efficiency for pulverised coal combustion. 6th Int. Clean Coal Technology Conference, Greece (Thessaloniki, 14-16th May 2013), 14 May 2013 - 16 May 2013.
- An analysis of the kinetics of coal and biomass decomposition under pyrolysis, and combustion in air-fired and oxyfuel conditions. European Conference on Coal Research and Its Applications (ECCRIA). Nottingham University, 10 September 2012.
- Reactivity analysis of Tharparker lignite coal under air, oxygen enriched air and oxyfuel reaction atmospheres in a thermogravimetric analyser. UK Pakistan Coal Conference. Leeds, 3 July 2012 - 5 July 2012.
- Oxygen Enriched and Oxyfuel Combustion - Promising Trends for Low Carbon Future. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 145 (pp 11-15)
- OXY-CAP UK, EON-EPSRC Strategic Partnership. 2nd Oxyfuel Combustion Conference, OCC2. Yeppoon, Australia, 12 September 2011 - 16 September 2011.
- Pilot scale firing of brownfield biomass under oxyfuel conditions. 2nd Intl workshop on biomass, carbon capture and storage. Cardiff, 25 October 2011 - 26 October 2011.
- The Effect on NOx emission of Oxygen Enrichment in Biomass Co-fired Pulverised Coal Combustion. 8th European Conference on Coal Research & Its Applications. University of Leeds, Leeds, UK, 6 September 2010.
- The Effect of Oxygen Enrichment under air-staged conditions on NOx Emission and Combustion Efficiency in Pulverised Coal Combustion. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- Air and Fuel Staged Co-combustion of Biomass with Coal. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- An Experimental Study of The Fate of Zn in Tyre/coal Co-Combustion. 10th International Conference on Energy for a Clean Environment. IST, Lisboa, 7 July 2009.
- Gasification and Pyrolysis of Peat in a Fluidised Bed. Symposium on Innovation in Process Energy Utilisation. Univ. of Bath, Bath, 16 September 1988.
- Low Grade Fuel Gas Production from Waste Gasification and Pyrolysis. Gasification:- Status and Prospects. 09 May 1988, 11 May 1988.
- The Gasification of Peat in a Fluidised Bed Reactor. The 7th International Peat Congress. Dublin, S Ireland, July 1982.
- Combustion of Biomass pellets in a Pilot Scale Bubbling Fluidised Bed Combustor. Green Energy and Municipal Solid Waste Management Solutions
As PI or Co-I
- 2018 - 2022 Industrial grant, Durham Filtration, Biomass particulate filters – student support, PI, £20k
- 2017-2019 British Council, Researcher Links UK-PK, PI, £29k.
- 2016 - 2020 Industrial grant, Sembcorp Utilities, Fluidised Bed Combustion – student support, PI, £25k
- 2016 – 2017 IIKE, Research Partnership support grant, PI, £19K.
- 2015 - 2019 EPSRC/Innovate UK, EP/M028208/1, IB CAT Biomethanation of CO2 in anaerobic digestion plant, Co-I, £1.85M
- 2016-2018 Royal Academy of Engineering (Newton), Waste to Energy,- Investigation of municipal solid waste blending effect on reactivity of coals in circulating fluidized bed combustion and gasification processes PI, £50k.
- 2015 – 2018 EPSRC EP/M01536X/1 Ultra-Supercritical (USC) steam power generation technology with Circulating Fluidized Bed (CFB): Combustion, Materials and Modelling (USC-CFB-CMM), Co-I, £1.1M
- 2015 - 2018 KEP British Council/Pakistan, PI, £60k
- 2009 - 2016 Industrial grant/KTP, PI, £467k
- 2014-2017 UKCCSRC – C2 Investigating the radiative heat flux in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces for CFD model development and system scale up, Co-I, £198,000
- 2012-2017 UKCCSRC-C1-27, Experimental investigation and CFD modelling of oxy-coal combustion on PACT facility with real flue gas and vent gas recycling PI, £167k
- 2014-2017 UKCCSRC – C2 Investigating the radiative heat flux in small and large scale oxy-coal furnaces for CFD model development and system scale up, Co-I, £198,000
- 2012-2017 UKCCSRC - The United Kingdom Carbon Capture and Storage Research Centre, DECC/EPSRC, Co-I, £10.1M
- 2012-2014 TSB/KTP008393 (TSB) Knowledge Transfer Partnership, KTP, PI, £137k
- 2011-2015 British council, INSPIRE, British Council 254, PI, £60k
- 2011-2015 DECC/EPSRC, EP/G062153/1, oxy CAP, Co-I, £1.7M
- 2011-2015 EPSRC EP/G063451/1, In-depth Studies of OxyCoal Combustion Processes through Numerical Modelling and 3D Flame Imaging, Oxy China Co-I, £490k
- 2010-2015 EPSRC EP/J000345/1, Development and Integration of Biomass and Concentrating Photovoltaic System for Rural and Urban Energy Bridge: BioCPV, Co-I, £1.4M
Prior engagement in preparation of EPSRC grants as researcher co-investigator/contributor
2006-2009 EPSRC EP/D502020/1 Title: A Novel Application of Waste Tyres & plastics as Reburn Fuels for NOx Reduction in Large Scale Combustion Systems , (Researcher Co-I), £293,057
2002-2005 EPSRC, GR/R46120/01 Advanced Methodologies for Simultaneous NOx/SOx Control form Combustion Sources , (Named Researcher), £194,281
2001-2004 EPSRC, GR/R15641/01 A Novel Sorbent For Multi-Component Removal of Mercury-Hci-So2-Nox From Waste Incineration Flue Gases, (Named Researcher) , £221.070.
1999-2002 EPSRC, GR/M12001/01 High Capacity Spray Pyrolysis Route For The Production Of Sub-Micron Pzt Powders For Thick-Film Applications (Named Researcher), £210,232.