Dr Jose L Curiel-Sosa
IngInd, MRes, PhD, CEng, MIMechE, EurIng, SFHEA
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Postgraduate Research Admissions Tutor
Departmental Scholarships Coordinator
+44 114 222 7857
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Dr Curiel-Sosa has been an academic staff since 2013 at the University of Sheffield. He has a six-years engineering diploma from Escuela Superior de Ingenieros Industriales, University of Seville and, a PhD in engineering modelling and simulation from Swansea University.
He has previously worked for both industry (composites engineer in manufacturing and design) and academia (aerostructures postdoc - University of Oxford).
His research is polymathic spanning from computational analysis to fundamental research; being applied in a range of industrial sectors, from aerospace (interaction aerostructures-aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, aviation safety) to manufacturing and machining (composite structures).
He is a member of the European engineers association FEANI (EurIng), a chartered engineer (CEng), a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE) and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
- Numerical analysis of the delamination in CFRP laminates: VCCT and XFEM assessment. Composites Part C: Open Access.
- Study of the machining induced damage in UD-CFRP laminates with various fibre orientations: FE assessment. Procedia CIRP, 87, 366-371. View this article in WRRO
- Review of recent developments and induced damage assessment in the modelling of the machining of long fibre reinforced polymer composites. Composite Structures, 240. View this article in WRRO
- Unsteady shock front waviness in shock-buffet of transonic aircraft. Advances in Aerodynamics, 2(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ballistic performance and damage simulation of fiber metal laminates under high-velocity oblique impact. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 29(7), 1011-1034. View this article in WRRO
- Chip formation in machining of unidirectional carbon fibre reinforced polymer laminates: FEM based assessment. Procedia CIRP, 85, 302-307. View this article in WRRO
- Structural integrity assessment on cracked composites interaction with aeroelastic constraint by means of XFEM. Composite Structures, 229. View this article in WRRO
- Structural health monitoring for woven fabric CFRP laminates. Composites Part B: Engineering, 174. View this article in WRRO
- A refined sin hyperbolic shear deformation theory for sandwich FG plates by enhanced meshfree with new correlation function. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, 15(3), 647-669. View this article in WRRO
- Adaptive chaotic particle swarm algorithm for isogeometric multi-objective size optimization of FG plates. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 60(2), 757-778. View this article in WRRO
- An iterative finite element method for piezoelectric energy harvesting composite with implementation to lifting structures under Gust Load Conditions. Composite Structures, 219, 97-110. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of cutter geometry on machining induced damage in orthogonal cutting of UD polymer composites: FE study. Composite Structures, 214, 439-450. View this article in WRRO
- Finite element simulation of damage in fiber metal laminates under high velocity impact by projectiles with different shapes. Composite Structures, 214, 73-82.
- Damage detection and location in woven fabric CFRP laminate panels. Composite Structures, 220, 168-178. View this article in WRRO
- Machining induced damage in orthogonal cutting of UD composites: FEA based assessment of Hashin and Puck criteria. Procedia CIRP, 82, 332-337. View this article in WRRO
- Using the reynolds stress model to predict shock-induced separation on transport aircraft. Journal of Aircraft, 56(2), 583-590. View this article in WRRO
- An enhanced void-crack-based Rousselier damage model for ductile fracture with the XFEM. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 28(6), 943-969. View this article in WRRO
- Meso-Scale Finite Element Analysis of Mechanical Behavior of 3D Braided Composites Subjected to Biaxial Tension Loadings. Applied Composite Materials, 26(1), 139-157. View this article in WRRO
- Meso-scale progressive damage modeling and life prediction of 3D braided composites under fatigue tension loading. Composite Structures, 201, 62-71. View this article in WRRO
- Meso-Scale Finite Element Simulations of 3D Braided Textile Composites: Effects of Force Loading Modes. Applied Composite Materials, 25(4), 823-841. View this article in WRRO
- Implementation of multiphase piezoelectric composites energy harvester on aircraft wingbox structure with fuel saving evaluation. Composite Structures, 202, 1000-1020. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling fracture and delamination in composite laminates: Energy release rate and interfacial stress. Composite Structures, 189, 641-647. View this article in WRRO
- Aeroelastic assessment of cracked composite plate by means of fully coupled finite element and Doublet Lattice Method. Composite Structures, 202, 151-161. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of piezoelectric energy harvester under dynamic bending by means of hybrid mathematical/isogeometric analysis. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, 14(4), 647-667. View this article in WRRO
- Characterisation of creep behaviour using the power law model in copper alloy. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences, 11(1), 2503-2510. View this article in WRRO
- Transversal crack and delamination of laminates using XFEM. Composite Structures, 173, 78-85. View this article in WRRO
- Finite element analysis of the damage mechanism of 3D braided composites under high-velocity impact. Journal of Materials Science, 52(8), 4658-4674. View this article in WRRO
- 3-D elasto-plastic large deformations: IGA simulation by Bézier extraction of NURBS. Advances in Engineering Software, 108, 68-82. View this article in WRRO
- A novel interface constitutive model for prediction of stiffness and strength in 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 163, 32-43. View this article in WRRO
- 3-D local mesh refinement XFEM with variable-node hexahedron elements for extraction of stress intensity factors of straight and curved planar cracks. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 313, 375-405. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of periodic mesh and free mesh on the mechanical properties prediction of 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 159, 667-676. View this article in WRRO
- Piezoelectric energy harvester composite under dynamic bending with implementation to aircraft wingbox structure. Composite Structures, 153, 193-203. View this article in WRRO
- Three-Dimensional Static and Dynamic Analysis of a Composite Cruciform Structure Subjected to Biaxial Loading: A Discontinuum Approach. Applied Composite Materials, 23(2), 139-154. View this article in WRRO
- A Large Strains Finite Element Multiscale Approach. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 17(1), 46-58. View this article in WRRO
- What triggers a microcrack in printed engineering parts produced by selective laser sintering on the first place?. Materials and Design, 88, 588-597. View this article in WRRO
- Mixed-mode damage into a CGRP cruciform subjected to biaxial loading. Composite Structures, 133, 1093-1100. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO On the calculation of energy release rate in composites by Finite Elements, Boundary Elements and Analytical Methods. Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, 6(3), 219-237.
- On the calculation of energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, 6(3), 219-237.
- A multiscale finite element technique for nonlinear multi-phase materials. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 94(C), 64-80. View this article in WRRO
- Crack propagation in a chopped glass-reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. Composite Structures, 119, 264-271. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Homotopy analysis of magnetohydrodynamic convection flow in manufacture of a viscoelastic fabric for space applications. International Journal for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 10, 9-49.
- Homotopy semi-numerical simulation of peristaltic flow of generalised Oldroyd-B fluids with slip effects. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 17(4), 433-442.
- Finite element analysis of structural instability using an implicit/explicit switching technique. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 14(5), 452-464.
- Modelling of mixed damage on fibre reinforced composite laminates subjected to low velocity impact. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 22(3), 356-374. View this article in WRRO
- Switching implicit-explicit numerical technique for nonlinear unstable structures. Revista Internacional de Metodos Numericos para Calculo y Diseno en Ingenieria, 29(2), 92-103.
- Delamination modelling of GLARE using the extended finite element method. Composites Science and Technology, 72(7), 788-791. View this article in WRRO
- Modeling of the nonlinear interface in reinforced concrete. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 11(3), 157-161.
- Analysis of a continuum-based beam element in the framework of explicit-FEM. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 45(8-9), 583-591.
- A three-dimensional progressive damage model for fibre-composite materials. Mechanics Research Communications, 35(4), 219-221.
- Improved predictive modelling of strain Localisation and ductile fracture in a Ti-6Al-4V alloy subjected to impact loading. Journal De Physique. IV : JP, 134, 147-155.
- A combined implicit-explicit algorithm in time for non-linear finite element analysis. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 22(1), 63-75.
- Homotoy analysis of magnetohydrodynamic convection flow in manufacture of a viscoelastic fabric for space applications. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics.
- Computational techniques for simulation of damage and failure in composite materials, Structural Integrity and Durability of Advanced Composites (pp. 199-219). Elsevier View this article in WRRO
- Finite Element Analysis of Progressive Degradation versus Failure Stress Criteria on Composite Damage Mechanics In Attaf B (Ed.), Advances in Composite Materials - Ecodesign and Analysis View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Book Review of 'Introduction to Aeronautics: a Design Perspective'-Third Edition. Aeronautical Journal, 1463-1464.
Conference proceedings papers
- Numerical Inspection based on Quasi-Static Analysis using Rousselier Damage Model for Aluminium Wingbox Aircraft Structure. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 1106(1) View this article in WRRO
- Analysis on Cracked Commuter Aircraft Wing under Dynamic Cruise Load by Means of XFEM. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 1106(1) View this article in WRRO
- Structural Integrity Assessment on Cracked Composite Plate under Aeroelastic Loading by means of XFEM. Proceedings IRF2018: 6th International Conference Integrity-Reliability-Failure. Lisbon, Portugal
- View this article in WRRO Prediction of Unsteady Transonic Buffeting using the SU2 Open-Source Code. Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ECFD 7). Glasgow, 11 June 2018 - 15 June 2018.
- View this article in WRRO AEROFRACTURELASTIC ON WING BOX OF MULTI-PURPOSE COMMUTER AIRCRAFT UNDER GUST LOAD BY MEANS OF XFEM. IRF2018: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INTEGRITY-RELIABILITY-FAILURE (pp 153-158)
- Implementation of Multiphase Piezoelectric Composites on Aircraft Wingbox Structure for Energy Harvesting Purpose. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Composite Structures. Paris, France, 4 September 2017 - 7 September 2017.
- Mechcomp3 3rd International Conference of Mechanics of Composite View this article in WRRO
- Flutter assessment on composite plate with crack by means of fully coupled Finite Element and Doublet Lattice Method. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites. Bologna, 4 July 2017 - 7 July 2017.
- Development of modified-Rousselier model for creep damage problems in eXtended finite element method (XFEM) approach. CFRAC 2017. Nantes, France, 14 June 2017 - 16 June 2017.
- HYBRID MATHEMATICAL/ISOGEOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF PIEZOELECTRIC ENERGY HARVESTER COMPOSITE UNDER DYNAMIC BENDING. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MECHANICS AND MATERIALS IN DESIGN (M2D2017) (pp 53-62)
- MODELLING TECHNIQUES FOR DELAMINATION AND FRACTURE OF COMPOSITES. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MECHANICS AND MATERIALS IN DESIGN (M2D2017) (pp 1181-1182)
- A numerical investigation on Circulation Controlled Lift Augmentation for STOL Aircraft. The 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference: Evolution & Innovation Continues- The Next 150 Years of Co. Bristol, 21 July 2016.
- Aerodynamics Modelling of a New Smart Light Aircraft. Applied Aerodynamics Conference. London, 19 July 2016 - 21 July 2016.
- Extended Finite Element Method: Strategies for Delamination and Fracture in Composites. Proceedings of II MechComp conference. Porto, Portugal, 11 July 2016 - 14 July 2016.
- Energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. 23rd UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering.. Swansea, 8 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.
- Damage and Failure in Composites. 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI). Barcelona, Spain, 20 July 2014 - 25 July 2014.
- Initiation and evolution of cracks in a chopped glass-reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- 3D crack analysis of a chopped glass-reinforced polyester cruciform specimen under biaxial loading using two different numerical techniques for modelling cracks: XFEM and a progressive damage model. 18th International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS18). Lisbon, Portugal, 15 June 2015 - 19 June 2015.
- View this article in WRRO Simulation of damage on laminates. ECCOMAS 2012 - European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, e-Book Full Papers (pp 1940-1946)
- A novel directional damage model for composites. Civil-Comp Proceedings, Vol. 88
- On competing volumetric and deviatoric damage mechanisms in simulation of ductile fracture in Ti64 alloy at high rates of strains. 10th European Mechanics of Materials Conference (EMMC10), Multi-phases and multi-components material. Kazimierz Dolny, Poland, 11 June 2007 - 14 June 2007.
- Modelling of reinforced materials by a subcycling algorithm (pp 121-121)
- In-time implicit-explicit algorithm for nonlinear finite element analysis. 3rd M.I.T. Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics (pp 1090-1094)
Theses / Dissertations
- View this article in WRRO Computational Modelling of Critical Points and Structural Discontinuities. Swansea University.
- Teaching activities
Jose’s learning and teaching approach is best described as project-based and research-led. Project-based learning is recognised as very effective for the development of professional skills in engineering students, aligning effectively learning outcomes to those skills.
In his Aircraft Design module, students work cooperatively to design an aircraft concept, encouraging the incorporation of recent innovations from the aeronautical sector.
Short period activities are embedded within his lectures to promote student interaction, critical thinking and problem-solving, making use of learning technology –e.g. audience response systems- to communicate and receive feedback from students in real time.
Strategies to improve inclusivity of all students independently of their background or origin is an area he is keen on finding new teaching methods to enhance it. Thus, he created the Aircraft Design Café in which informal discussions on this and any matters of interest for students can be raised.
He has consistently received high scores for his learning and teaching strategy, which has led to several award nominations for teaching and doctoral supervision.
Jose is recognised as a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He acts as assessor for the Learning and Teaching Professional Recognition Scheme ( LTPRS ) at TUOS. LTPRS follows the UK Professional Standards Framework to acknowledge success in Higher Education.
- Professional activities
- Full Member, EPSRC College of Reviewers.
- Assessor, Learning and Teaching Professional Recognition Scheme.
- Career Learning Assessor, Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Nominated by PhD students to the Best Postgraduate Supervisor Academic Award in 2018 and shortlisted in 2019.
- Nominated by University of Sheffield students to the Outstanding Teaching Academic Award, 2017 & 2018.
- Nominated to the TUOS Senate Award for Sustained Excellence 2017.
- Inspirational Teaching Award nomination-by-students, 2011.
- PhD external examiner: University of Manchester, University of Oviedo, UCLM (Spain), Putra Malaysia, University of Warwick, University of Greenwich.
- Invited seminars: Imperial College, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Swansea University, University of Warwick.