Dr Kamran Mumtaz
PGT Admissions Tutor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 7789
Kamran Mumtaz is a lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He has a first class degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Salford, Manchester, an MSc in Manufacturing Management and a PhD from Loughborough University.
Areas of Research
Kamran's research is in the area of Additive Manufacturing (AM) (also known as 3D printing and Rapid Manufacturing), a layer by layer process which produces fully functionally parts directly from a CAD model.
Kamran has been involved in AM since 2005 and specialises in metals process and materials development. He has worked with a number of AM technologies such as Selective Laser Melting (SLM), Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) and Electron Beam Melting (EBM) processing a variety of aluminium, cobalt, nickel, steel and titanium alloys for aerospace, automotive and medical industries.
He has completed a range of research projects, publishing widely and winning two international best paper awards. He has worked closely with industry users of AM, focusing on understanding limitations of the technology in a manufacturing environment and commercialisation of new materials.
Kamran is also involved in multi-material deposition during AM, producing functionally graded components allowing the user to tailor specific properties across a component. He is interested in AM of ceramics and has worked with grading from metal to ceramic materials for turbine blade applications.
2009, A Method, Apparatus, Computer Readable Storage Medium and Computer Program for forming an object, [US 2011/0042031 A1]. Patent describes method for reducing stress build-up in metal components fabricated via SLM/DMLS, allowing components to be built without anchor/suppport structures.
- MEC215/209 Design of Engineering Structures and Components
- MEC307 Group Design Project (contributor)
- Harrison N, Todd I & Mumtaz K (2017) Thermal expansion coefficients in Invar processed by selective laser melting. Journal of Materials Science, 52(17), 10517-10525. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, groom K & Zavala-Arredondo M (2017) Diode Area Melting single-layer parametric analysis of 316L stainless steel powder. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Vora P, Martinez R, Hopkinson N, Todd I & Mumtaz KA (2017) Customised Alloy Blends for In-Situ Al339 Alloy Formation Using Anchorless Selective Laser Melting. Technologies, 5(2). View this article in WRRO
- Ali H, Ma L, Ghadbeigi H & Mumtaz K (2017) In-situ residual stress reduction, martensitic decomposition and mechanical properties enhancement through high temperature powder bed pre-heating of Selective Laser Melted Ti6Al4V. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 695, 211-220. View this article in WRRO
- Zavala-Arredondo M, Boone N, Willmott J, Childs DTD, Ivanov P, Groom KM & Mumtaz K (2017) Laser diode area melting for high speed additive manufacturing of metallic components. Materials and Design, 117, 305-315. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & ali H (2017) In-Built Customised Mechanical Failure of 316L Components Fabricated Using Selective Laser Melting. Technologies, 5(1). View this article in WRRO
- Pitt K, Lopez O, Lafferty AD, Todd I & Mumtaz KA (2017) Investigation into the material properties of wooden composite structures with in-situ fibre reinforcement using additive manufacturing. Composites Science and Technology, 138, 32-39. View this article in WRRO
- Lopez O, Martinez Hernandez U, Ramírez J, Pinna C & Mumtaz KA (2016) Two-dimensional simulation of grain structure growth within selective laser melted AA-2024. Materials and Design. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Harrison N & todd I (2015) Reduction of micro-cracking in nickel superalloys processed by Selective Laser Melting: A fundamental alloy design approach. Acta Materialia, 94, 59-68. View this article in WRRO
- Vora P, Mumtaz KA, Todd I & Hopkinson N (2015) AlSi12 in-situ alloy formation and residual stress reduction using anchorless selective laser melting. Additive Manufacturing, 7, 12-19. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & Hopkinson N (2010) Selective Laser Melting of thin wall parts using pulse shaping. J MATER PROCESS TECH, 210(2), 279-287. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & Hopkinson (2010) Selective laser melting of Inconel 625 using pulse shaping. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 16(4), 248-257. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & hopkinson (2009) Top surface and side roughness of Inconel 625 parts processed using selective laser melting. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 15(2), 96-103. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Erasenthiran P & Hopkinson N (2008) High density selective laser melting of Waspaloy (R). J MATER PROCESS TECH, 195(1-3), 77-87. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & Hopkinson N (2007) Laser melting functionally graded composition of Waspaloy((R)) and Zirconia powders. J MATER SCI, 42(18), 7647-7656. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Mumtaz KA, lopez & pinna (2016) Simulating the microstructural evolution of a Selective Laser Melted AA-2024. Solid Freeform Fabrication 2016: Proceedings of the 27th Annual International (pp 257-267), 3 August 2016 - 5 August 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Hopkinson N, Todd I, Derguti F & Vora P (2013) Investigating a Semi-Solid Processing technique using metal powder bed Additive Manufacturing Processes. Proceedings Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium(24) (pp 454). Austin Texas, USA, 5 August 2013 - 7 August 2013. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Hopkinson N, Stapleton D, Todd I, Derguti F & Vora P (2012) Benchmarking metal powder bed Additive Manufacturing processes (SLM and EBM) to build flat overhanging geometries without supports. Proceeding Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium(22). Austin Texas, USA, 6 August 2012 - 8 August 2012. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & hopkinson (2011) A Method to Eliminate Anchors/Supports from Directly Laser Melted Metal Powder Bed Processes. Proc. Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (pp 55-64). Austin Texas, USA, August 2011. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA & hopkinson () Selective Laser Melting of Inconel 625 using Pulse Shaping. Proc. Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (pp 165-178). Austin Texas, USA, August 2011. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Vora P & Hopkinson N () Benchmarking capabilities of SLM and EBM to build overhangs without supports
- Mumtaz KA, HOPKINSON & Erasenthiran P () High Density Selective Laser Melting of Waspaloy. Proc. Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (pp 220-232). Austin Texas, USA, August 2011. View this article in WRRO
- Mumtaz KA, Furlong MT & hopkinson (2011) Method, apparatus, computer readable storage medium and computer program for forming an object. US 2011/0042031 A1 (US). Appl. 24 Feb 2011.