Professor Ning Qin
BSc, MEng, PhD, CEng, AFAIAA, FRAeS
Professor of Aerodynamics
Academic Team Leader, Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 7718
Fax: +44 (0)114 222 7890
Professor Ning Qin obtained his BSc (Mathematics) in 1982 and MEng (Aerodynamics) in 1984 from Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China. He later went on to obtain his PhD (Aerospace Engineering) in 1987 from the University of Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Ning Qin started his career working as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow at Glasgow after his PhD under Professor Bryan Richards. He conducted research in the areas of predicting hypersonic heating for spaceplane in the British Horizontal Take-off and Landing HOTOL programme; investigating Navier-Stokes solution methods for high speed flows; developing Newton-like implicit and matrix-free methods for CFD and parallel computing on the i860 Hypercube parallel computing system.
He moved to Cranfield University College of Aeronautics in 1994 to take up a lectureship and was appointed to the Chair of Computational Aerodynamics in 1999. At Cranfield, he established the Centre for Computational Aerodynamics, with a wide range of funded research activities oriented at improving flow prediction capabilities in the aerospace design process.
In 2003, he took up the Chair of Aerodynamics at the University of Sheffield, heading the Thermo-Fluids Group until 2013. Professor Qin is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and an Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. He was awarded the RAeS Hafner Prize on VTOL(Vertical Take-Off and Landing) Technology in 2000. He serves as an Associate Editor for IMechE Journal of Aerospace Engineering, RAeS Aeronautical Journal, Advances in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, and Chinese Journal of Aeronautics.
Areas of Research
He has been involved in a range of research and consultancy activities for Aerodynamics and Computational Fluid Dynamics research and applications with over 300 journal and conference publications. His recent research interests include:
- flow control for aircraft drag reduction and wind turbine performance
- transonic shock control and flutter boundary prediction for wings and gas turbine blades
- aerodynamic and multi-disciplinary design optimization
- aerodynamics of novel future configurations including blended wing body aircraft
- hypersonic aerothermodynamic heating and interactions
- adjoint based aerodynamic shape optimisation
- numerical method development for turbulence simulation and moving adaptive mesh
He has obtained research funding from research councils and industries including EPSRC, Leverhulme Trust, European Commission, DERA (QinetiQ), BAE Systems, Westland Helicopters Ltd, Airbus, Rolls-Royce, DSTL, and Aircraft Research Association Ltd.
He was the Aerodynamic Task Leader in the European FP research project MOB (Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation of Blended Wing Body Aircraft) and the Technical Coordinator for EU project MARS (Flow Control for Drag Reduction). The impact of his research to aerospace industry has been detailed in the impact study cases of UK Research Excellence Framework REF2014.
39 students have completed their PhD research degrees under Prof Qin’s supervision.
- MEC316 Wind Energy
- MEC424 Aerodynamic Design
Selected Journal articles
- Zhu F & Qin N (2014) Intuitive class/shape function parameterization for airfoils. AIAA Journal, 52(1), 17-25.
- Chen ZJ, Qin N & Nowakowski AF (2013) Three-dimensional laminar-separation bubble on a cambered thin wing at low reynolds numbers. Journal of Aircraft, 50(1), 152-163.
- Naranjo AG, Cowling I, Green JA & Qin N (2013) Aerodynamic performance benefits of utilising camber morphing wings for unmanned air vehicles. AERONAUTICAL JOURNAL, 117(1189), 315-327.
- Chen ZJ & Qin N (2013) Planform Effects for Low-Reynolds-Number Thin Wings with Positive and Reflex Cambers. JOURNAL OF AIRCRAFT, 50(3), 952-964.
- Wang Y, Qin N, Carnie G & Shahpar S (2013) Zipper layer method for linking two dissimilar structured meshes. Journal of Computational Physics, 255(0), 130-148.
- McIntosh SC & Qin N (2013) The influence of transition onset location on the performance of shock control bumps. AERONAUTICAL JOURNAL, 117(1196), 1037-1051.
- Qin N, Carnie G, Wang Y & Shahpar S (2013) Design optimization of casing grooves using zipper layer meshing. Journal of Turbomachinery, 136(3).
- Danao L, Qin N & Howell RJ (2012) A numerical study of blade thickness and camber effects on vertical axis wind turbines. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A, Journal of Power and Energy.
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2012) Surrogate-based multi-objective aerothermodynamic design optimization of hypersonic spiked bodies. AIAA Journal, 50(4), 797-810.
- Wang H, Qin N, Sun M & Wang Z (2012) A dynamic pressure-sink method for improving large eddy simulation and hybrid Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes/large eddy simulation of wall-bounded flows. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART G-JOURNAL OF AEROSPACE ENGINEERING, 226(G9), 1107-1120.
- Durrani N & Qin N (2012) Comparison of hybrid RANS-LES methods for massively separated flows. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design, 117, 257-266.
- Wang W & Qin N (2012) Balancing destruction and production in S-A Model-based hybrid RANS-LES for flow around an aerofoil with mild separation. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design, 117, 379-388.
- Wang H, Sun M, Wu H, Wang Z & Qin N (2012) Characteristics of Oscillations in Supersonic Open Cavity Flows. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 1-22.
- Durrani N & Qin N (2011) Behavior of detached-eddy simulations for mild airfoil trailing-edge separation. Journal of Aircraft, 48(1), 193-202.
- Lee DS, Periaux J, Onate E, Gonzalez LF & Qin N (2011) Active Transonic Aerofoil Design Optimization Using Robust Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithms. JOURNAL OF AIRCRAFT, 48(3), 1084-1094.
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2011) Numerical investigation of aeroheating characteristics of spiked blunt bodies at Mach six flight conditions. AERONAUT J, 115(1168), 377-386.
- Zheng HW, Shu C, Chew YT & Qin N (2011) A solution adaptive simulation of compressible multi-fluid flows with general equation of state. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 67(5), 616-637.
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2011) Recent advances in the aerothermodynamics of spiked hypersonic vehicles. Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 47(6), 425-449.
- Qin N, Howell R, Durrani N, Hamada K & Smith T (2011) Unsteady flow simulation and dynamic stall behaviour of vertical axis wind turbine blades. Wind Engineering, 35(4), 511-527.
- Zheng HW, Qin N, Nicolleau FCGA & Shu C (2011) Quadrilateral cell-based anisotropic adaptive solution for the euler equations. Communications in Computational Physics, 9(1), 68-88.
- Lee DS, Periaux J, Onate E, Srinivas K, Gonzalez LF & Qin N (2011) Shock control bump design optimization on natural laminar aerofoil. Computational Fluid Dynamics 2010 - Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, ICCFD 2010, 253-259.
- De Feo D, Qin N & Birch TJ (2010) Vortex Capturing Using PNS-WENO Schemes in Uniform and Non Uniform Mesh Formulations. ADV APPL MATH MECH, 2(4), 399-429.
- Howell R, Qin N, Edwards J & Durrani N (2010) Wind tunnel and numerical study of a small vertical axis wind turbine. RENEW ENERG, 35(2), 412-422. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Pang XP, Qin N, Dwyer-Joyce RS, Chen J & Wang JX (2010) A General Profile Parameterization of Hydrodynamic Journal Bearings for Efficient Shape Optimization. TRIBOL T, 53(1), 117-126.
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2010) Drag Reduction Using Aerodisks for Hypersonic Hemispherical Bodies. J SPACECRAFT ROCKETS, 47(1), 62-80.
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2010) Metamodels for aerothermodynamic design optimization of hypersonic spiked blunt bodies. AEROSP SCI TECHNOL, 14(5), 364-376.
- Elarbi EM & Qin N (2010) Effects of pitching rotation on aerodynamics of tandem flapping wing sections of a hovering dragonfly. AERONAUT J, 114(1161), 699-710.
- Shan YY, Shu C & Qin N (2009) Multiquadric Finite Difference (MQ-FD) Method and its Application. ADV APPL MATH MECH, 1(5), 615-638.
- Qin N, Wong WS & Le Moigne A (2008) Three-dimensional contour bumps for transonic wing drag reduction. P I MECH ENG G-J AER, 222(G5), 619-629.
- Wong WS, Qin N, Sellars N, Holden H & Babinsky H (2008) A combined experimental and numerical study of flow structures over three-dimensional shock control bumps.AEROSP SCI TECHNOL, 12(6), 436-447.
- Qin N & Xia H (2008) Detached eddy simulation of a synthetic jet for flow control. P I MECH ENG I-J SYS, 222(I5), 373-380.
- Siouris S & Qin N (2007) Study of the effects of wing sweep on the aerodynamic performance of a blended wing body aircraft. P I MECH ENG G-J AER, 221(G1), 47-55.
- Vavalle A & Qin N (2007) Iterative response surface based optimization scheme for transonic airfoil design. J AIRCRAFT, 44(2), 365-376.
- Spence GT, Le Moigne A, Allerton DJ & Qin N (2007) Wake vortex model for real-time flight simulation based on large eddy simulation. J AIRCRAFT, 44(2), 467-475.
- Wong WS, Le Moigne A & Qin N (2007) Parallel adjoint-based optimisation of a blended wing body aircraft with shock control bumps. AERONAUT J, 111(1117), 165-174.
- Qin N & Harris M (2013) Using the Medial Axis to Represent Complex Flow Structures for Flow Feature-Aligned Mesh Generation. AIAA Paper 2013-0150. Grapevine, Texas, USA, 7 January 2013 - 13 January 2013.
- Chen ZJ & Qin N (2012) Propeller Effects on Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics. RAeS Applied Aerodynamic Conference: Modelling and Simulation in the Aerodynamic Design Process, 17 July 2012 - 19 July 2012.
- Ahmed M & Qin N (2012) Investigation of the flow asymmetry around axi-symmetric spiked blunt bodies at hypersonic speeds. RAeS Applied Aerodynamic Conference: Modelling and Simulation in the Aerodynamic Design Process, 17 July 2012 - 19 July 2012.
- Zhu F & Qin N (2012) Development of CST Geometric Parameterisation Method for an Entire Transport Aircraft. RAeS Applied Aerodynamic Conference: Modelling and Simulation in the Aerodynamic Design Process, 17 July 2012 - 19 July 2012.
- Lu Q, Chen J, Cheng J, Qin N & Danao LAM (2011) Study of CFD simulation of a 3-D wind turbine. ICMREE2011 - Proceedings 2011 International Conference on Materials for Renewable Energy and Environment, Vol. 1 (pp 596-600)
- Carnie G, Wang Y, Qin N & Shahpar S (2011) Design optimisation of casing grooves using the zipper layer meshing method. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 7(PARTS A, B, AND C) (pp 1163-1174)
- Qin N, Wang Y, Carnie G & Shahpar S (2011) Zipper layer method. Proceedings of the 20th International Meshing Roundtable, IMR 2011 (pp 587-599)
- Zheng HW, Nicolleau FCGA & Qin N (2010) Assessment of des on the flow after a snow-flake orifice. Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design, Vol. 111 (pp 157-165)
- De Feo DM, Qin N & Birch TJ (2010) A MUSCL and WENO - PNS approach for vortex dominated flowfields. 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition
- Zheng HW, Qin N & Shu C (2010) Three dimensional adaptive method for compressible multi-fluids flows. 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition
- Ahmed MYM & Qin N (2010) Metamodels for aerothermodynamic design optimization of hypersonic spiked blunt bodies. 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition