Professor Yang Zhang
Professor of Combustion and Energy
Director of Postgraduate Studies (PGR)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: +44(0)114 2227880
Fax: +44(0)114 2227890
email : email@example.com
Professor Yang Zhang received BEng from Zhejiang University, China and PhD in the Engineering Department of Cambridge University. He then worked as a Research Associate and Research Fellow (Darwin College, Cambridge University) on two projects (Integrated Diesel European Action : IDEA and the follow-on project IDEA EFFECT) supported by six European car manufacturers and EU. After this, he moved to UMIST and then the University of Manchester before taking the Chair of Combustion and Energy in Sheffield.
His laboratory specialises in combustion and advanced flow diagnostics. The combustion lab has several lab scale burners for both fundamental research and teaching. An industrial gas turbine combustor (1 MW) is available for testing and research. A high pressure test burner up to 20 bar has been built for combustion studies. The burner has two quartz windows and two pure silicon windows, which are transparent to infrared and longer wavelength (e.g. Terahertz wave).
Besides the conventional diagnostic techniques, the group is known for in-house developed diagnostic techniques, which can be applied not only in flame dynamics studies but also in many fast moving dynamic systems. The team has great strength in signal and image processing capabilities, including multi-channel data acquisition, high speed imaging and stereo imaging.
Areas of Research
- Digital image and signal processing of flame dynamics and structure
- Flame and acoustic wave interactions
- Combustion instability
- Innovative flow diagnostics and data processing
- Clean coal combustion
- Future energy system
- Laminar flame dynamics at high pressure
- Fuel variability effect on combustion instability
- High speed stereo Schlieren imaging of flame dynamics and structure
- Flame and acoustic wave interactions
- 3D Imaging of re-ignition process in a jet engine combustor at sub atmospheric conditions
- Turbulent impinging flames
- Advanced Aero Propulsion
- Experiments and Modelling
- Fluids Laboratory and Aero Group Design
Current Research Grants
- Clean Energy Utilisation from Biogas and Biomass Gasification (until 2016), EPSRC
- Coupling Membrane with a High Speed Camera and its Analysis (until 2013), John Crane
- Clean Coal Combustion: Burning Issues of Syngas Burning (until 2012), EPSRC
- Fuel Variability Effect on Combustion Stability (until 2013), BP Alternative Energy Intl Ltd.
- GT100 Combustor Test (until 2012), Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery Ltd
- Intumescent Paint Under Fire Impingement (until 2013), International Paint Ltd.
- Digital Stereo Imaging and Signal Processing Based Condition Monitoring Technology for Wind Turbine Blades (until 2012), KTA.
- Carranza F & Zhang Y (2017) Study of drag and orientation of regular particles using stereo vision, Schlieren photography and digital image processing. Powder Technology, 311, 185-199. View this article in WRRO
- Wang Y, Zheng L, Woolley R & Zhang Y (2016) Investigation of ignition process from visible to infrared by a high speed colour camera. Fuel, 185, 500-507. View this article in WRRO
- Gan Y, Zhang X, Li H, Tong Y, Zhang Y, Shi Y & Yang Z (2016) Effect of a ring electrode on the cone-jet characteristics of ethanol in small-scale electro-spraying combustors. Journal of Aerosol Science, 98, 15-29. View this article in WRRO
- Fu J, Leung CW, Huang Z, Zhang Y & Cheung CS (2016) Systematic investigation of premixed methane/air turbulent impinging flames. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 70, 335-340.
- Chen L-W & Zhang Y (2015) Experimental observation of the nonlinear coupling of flame flow and acoustic wave. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 46, 12-17. View this article in WRRO
- Wang Q, Zhao CY & Zhang Y (2015) Time-resolved 3D investigation of the ignition process of a methane diffusion impinging flame. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 62, 78-84. View this article in WRRO
- Yang J, Mossa FMS, Huang HW, Wang Q, Woolley R & Zhang Y (2015) Oscillating flames in open tubes. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 35(2), 2075-2082. View this article in WRRO
- Clifton L, Clifton DA, Zhang Y, Watkinson P, Tarassenko L & Yin H (2014) Probabilistic novelty detection with support vector machines. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 63(2), 455-467.
- Wang Q, Yang J, Huang HW, Zhang Y & Zhao C (2014) Three-dimensional investigation of the dynamics of a propane diffusion flame. Fuel, 116, 448-454.
- Ma Z & Zhang Y (2014) High temperature measurement using very high shutter speed to avoid image saturation. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1592, 246-253.
- Saeed H, Huang HW & Zhang Y (2014) Studies of the physical aspects of intumescence using advance diagnostics methods. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1592, 187-197.
- Huang H & Zhang Y (2013) Imaging based chemiluminescence characterisation of partially premixed syngas flames through DFCD technique. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy(38), 4839-4847.
- Fu J, Tang C, Jin W, Thi LD, Huang Z & Zhang Y (2013) Study on laminar flame speed and flame structure of syngas with varied compositions using OH-PLIF and spectrograph. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38(3), 1636-1643.
- Chen LW, Wang Q & Zhang Y (2013) Flow characterisation of diffusion flame under non-resonant acoustic excitation. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 45, 227-233.
- Thi LD, Zhang Y, Fu J & Huang Z (2013) Study on ignition delay of multi-component syngas using shock tube. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering.
- Darabkhani HG, Oakey J, Zhang Y & Keshmiri A (2013) Study of the flame structure and dynamics using nonintrusive combustion diagnostic techniques. 43rd Fluid Dynamics Conference.
- Wang Q, Zhao C, Huang HW & Zhang Y (2013) Impinging flame ignition and propagation visualisation using Schlieren and colour-enhanced stereo imaging techniques. Fuel.
- Wang Q & Zhang Y (2012) Spark characteristics investigation of a gas turbine igniter. Combustion Science and Technology, 184(10-11), 1526-1540.
- Wang Q, Zhang Y, Tang HJ & Zhu M (2012) Visualization of diffusion flame/Vortex Structure and Dynamics under Acoustic Excitation. Combustion Science and Technology, 184(10-11), 1445-1455.
- Wang Q, Huang H, Tan HJ, Zhu M & Zhang Y (2012) Nonlinear response of buoyant diffusion flame under acoustic excitation. Fuel: the science and technology of fuel and energy.
- Darabkhani HG, Banuelos-Saucedo M, Young J, Stringer M, Wright P, Wang Q, Zhang Y, Miles RE & Ozanyan KB (2012) Sensing in sooting flames: THz time-domain spectroscopy and tomography. Proceedings of IEEE Sensors.
- Hu E, Fu J, Pan L, Jiang X, Huang Z & Zhang Y (2012) Experimental and numerical study on the effect of composition on laminar burning velocities of H /CO/N /CO /air mixtures. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- McDaid C, Zhou J & Zhang Y (2012) Experimental observations of complex flame propagations initiated at different locations of an impingement configuration. Fuel.
- Huang HW, Yang J, Zhang Y & Wang Q (2012) Variation of hydrocarbon compositions and ignition locations on the radiative flame initiation characteristics through multi-dimensional DFCD incorporated image analysis. Fuel.
- Chen L-W, Wang Q & Zhang Y (2012) Flow characterisation of diffusion flame in a standing wave. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2012) Syngas combustion radiation profiling through spectrometry and DFCD processing techniques. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37(6), 5257-5267.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2011) Analysis of the ignition process using a digital image and colour processing technique. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 22(7).
- Wang Q & Zhang Y (2011) High speed stereoscopic shadowgraph imaging and its digital 3D reconstruction. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 22(6).
- Darabkhani HG, Oakey JE & Zhang Y (2011) Improving stability limits of natural gas buoyant diffusion flames with co-flow of air. ASME 2011 5th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, ES 2011(PARTS A, B, AND C), 941-950.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2011) Syngas combustion radiation profiling through spectrometry and DFCD processing techniques. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- McDaid C & Zhang Y (2011) Wall temperature measurements using a thermal imaging camera with temperature-dependent emissivity corrections. Measurement Science and Technology, 22(12).
- Gohari Darabkhani H, Wang Q, Chen L & Zhang Y (2011) Impact of co-flow air on buoyant diffusion flames flicker. Energy Conversion and Management, 52(8-9), 2996-3003.
- Su ZX, Zhou WZ & Zhang Y (2011) New insight into the soot nanoparticles in a candle flame. CHEM COMMUN, 47(16), 4700-4702.
- Li J & Zhang Y (2011) Fuel mixing effect on the flickering of jet diffusion flames. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 225(1), 155-162.
- Wang Q, Gohari Darabkhani H, Chen L & Zhang Y (2011) Vortex dynamics and structures of methane/air jet diffusion flames with air coflow. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2010) Dynamic application of digital image and colour processing in characterizing flame radiation features. MEAS SCI TECHNOL, 21(8).
- Gohari Darabkhani H & Zhang Y (2010) Suppression dynamics of a laminar oscillating diffusion flame with co-flow air. WCE 2010 - World Congress on Engineering 2010, 2, 1421-1426.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2010) Digital colour image processing based measurement of premixed CH4 + air and C2H4 + air flame chemiluminescence. Fuel.
- Darabkhani HG & Zhang Y (2010) METHANE DIFFUSION FLAME DYNAMICS AT ELEVATED PRESSURES. COMBUST SCI TECHNOL, 182(3), 231-251.
- Huang HW & Zhang Y (2008) Flame colour characterization in the visible and infrared spectrum using a digital camera and image processing. Meas. Sci. Technol., 19(8).
- Wang Q, Zhang Y & Zhao CY (2013) Stereoscopic schlieren/shadowgraph 3D reconstruction techniques and its applications, 3D Reconstruction: Methods, Applications and Challenges (pp. 83-105).
Conference proceedings papers
- Wang Y & Zhang Y (2015) Simultaneous High Speed Schlieren and Direct Imaging of Ignition Process with Digitally Enhanced Visualisation. Energy Procedia, Vol. 66 (pp 241-244)
- Zheng L & Zhang Y (2015) High Speed Digital Imaging for Flame Studies: Potentials and Limitations. Energy Procedia, Vol. 66 (pp 237-240)
- Faik AME-D & Zhang Y (2015) Quantitative spray analysis of diesel fuel and its emulsions using digital image processing. EPJ Web of Conferences, Vol. 92 (pp 02017-02017)
- Wang Q, Yang J, Wang Y, Zhang Y & Zhang C () Experimental Investigation of Co-flow Effect on Ignition Process of a Methane Jet Diffusion Flame. Experimental Investigation of Co-flow Effect on Ignition Process of a Methane Jet Diffusion Flame, 2 August 2015 - 7 August 2015.