Festival of the Mind 2024: Call for public engagement projects
Festival of the Mind 2024 will take place between 19-29 September 2024 in venues across Sheffield. The iconic Spiegeltent will return and we anticipate that the festival will take place in person and online.
Ever wanted to engage the public with your research? Work with a creative from the region to bring your research to life? Why not apply for up to £5,000 to be part of Festival of the Mind, the University of Sheffield's flagship public engagement festival.
What is Festival of the Mind?
Festival of the Mind is a biennial celebration of our University's world-class research, showcasing collaborative projects produced by academics from the University and artistic talent from Sheffield's creative industries. Over 11 days our most exciting and cutting-edge research is shared with the public through innovative, imaginative and impactful events, performances, installations and exhibitions in venues across the city, including the wonderful Spiegeltent.
We are now accepting applications for projects to feature in the next Festival in September 2024. Funding of up to £5,000 is available.
- Projects must involve collaboration between at least one researcher from the University of Sheffield and at least one external partner
- Applications must be submitted by an academic member of staff
- Projects must have a basis in the current research of the academic(s) involved
- Projects must include delivery of an event, activity or exhibition during the festival (19-29 September 2024)
- Projects must relate to one or more of the following festival themes: Creativity, Participation, Cohesion, Learning
- Applications must be submitted on an understanding that the University of Sheffield intellectual property used in the projects will remain the property of the University of Sheffield
- Applications must be submitted on an agreement that all artworks created will remain the property of the University of Sheffield (unless otherwise agreed in advance)
How to apply
Applications are now open! Before applying, please download and read the 'Festival of the Mind 2024: Application guidance' document. Once you have read the guidance, you can complete the online application form: Click here to submit your application
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Monday 29 January 2024.
Please note that the application form cannot be saved and returned to later on - so please prepare your answers so they can be inputted in one session (the questions are listed in the guidance document).
Further information and guidance
For examples of previous projects, see the Festival of the Mind digital series on the University of Sheffield Player or check out the Festival of the Mind 2022 and 2020 programmes on the Festival of the Mind website.
If you need help finding a creative partner or would like to discuss your application, please contact a member of the team at email@example.com or on 0114 222 0563.