Have your passport and visa scanned
The UK Government operates a Points Based System (PBS) of immigration. Tier 4 is the immigration route for International students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Information on the Points Based System is given at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/international/immigration.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), which is the part of the Government Home Office responsible for immigration, requires that Higher Education institutions retain a copy of passport and visa/BRP information. These copies will be taken at your Registration event but in order to speed up the process, we recommend that you provide a scanned copy of the personal dyour passport pages and your visa (if you already have one and it has been stamped in the UK) before you register.
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
In early 2015 the Home Office introduced BRPs for applicants applying to come to the UK for more than six months. You will have applied for your BRP at the same time as you applied for entry clearance and will be given a vignette valid for 30 days which allows you to enter the UK.
Various options for collecting your BRP are available to you and we strongly advise that you select the option of collecting your BRP from the University of Sheffield. Please follow this link for details on how to do this.
Collecting your BRP
You will be issued with a decision letter by the Home Office which will confirm whether you should collect your BRP from the University or from a Post Office. If you are collecting from the University, please read the information below very carefully:
If your collection point is the University
Collection between 17 September and 3 October 2019
If you are due to collect your BRP from the University, you can do so between 17 September and 3 October 2019. Please visit the Discovery Rooms, Level 5, Students' Union to present your immigration documentation (dates and times of when this will be available are detailed below).
|17 September 2019 (Orientation Week)||
2pm - 4.30pm (Surnames A-M)
|18 September 2019 (Orientation Week)||
9am to 4.30pm (Surnames A-M)
|19 - 20 September 2019 (Orientation Week)||
9am to 4.30pm (Surnames N-Z)
|23 - 27 September 2019 (Intro Week)||
Please refer to your timetable in MUSE or iSheffield
|30 September 2019 (Late Registration)||
8.30am - 1pm
|1-3 October 2019 (Late Registration)||
9.30am - 4pm
Collection after 3rd October 2019
- Come to the Student Administration Service on Level 6, Students' Union, between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday, and we will give you your BRP.
- If your BRP is not available, we will provisionally register you.
- You will receive an email from us when your BRP is ready for collection. You do not need to contact us, we will contact you.
If your collection point is the Post Office
- You need to collect your BRP before you register. Please see this page for a link to the Post Office location Map.
- If your BRP is not available ask the Post Office to stamp your Decision Letter confirming this. If the Post Office asks to keep your Decision Letter it is essential that you take a photograph/photocopy so you can show us when you register.
- Once you've collected your BRP, please visit the Discovery Rooms, Level 5, Students' Union to present your immigration documentation (dates and times of when this will be available are detailed above).