Slavic Cognitive Linguistics Conference 2015
14th annual conference of the Slavic Cognitive Linguistics Association
"Crossing boundaries: taking a cognitive scientific perspective on Slavic languages and linguistics"
Universities of Sheffield and Oxford, UK, 9 - 13 December 2015
The conference is co-sponsored by CEELBAS and the Prokhorov Foundation
Andrej Kibrik, Moscow
Mark Turner, Case Western
Stephen Pulman, Oxford
Click here for abstracts of the keynote lectures.
Workshops (please note: the 4 half-day workshops are an integral part of the conference)
1. Cognitive Linguistics and language teaching - Steven Clancy, Harvard
2. Cognitive Linguistics and Computational Linguistics - Petar Milin, Tuebingen
3. Cognitive Linguistics and Psycholinguistics - Petar Milin, Tuebingen
4. Cognitive Linguistics and Multimodal discourse analysis - Mark Turner, Case Western Reserve
Click here for summaries of the Workshops
You can view and download the programmes for both parts of the conference via the links below. Updated versions will be posted in due course so please check again later.
The conference will have oral or poster presentations on any topic of relevance to Slavic Cognitive Linguistics with a special focus on the theme of the conference "Crossing boundaries: taking a cognitive scientific perspective on Slavic languages and linguistics". We plan oral sessions with standard 20 minute presentations, followed by 10 minutes of questions; in additional we plan poster presentations with or without short oral presentation.
We will be preparing an Abstracts Booklet in which all accepted abstracts are formatted in a uniform way and are of uniform length. Please assist the organisers by reformatting your abstract(s) according to the instructions below (these instructions are repeated in the template document itself):
Maximum one page A4 (21cm x 29.7cm), including data/examples/figures/references. Please use 10-point Arial (Unicode) font, single-spaced. You can make references to other research in your abstract, but for the sake of space, do not include a long list of full citations on a separate page. Be parsimonious with your citations in the abstract! Maintain our side margins of 2.54cm. Please aim for an abstract of no more than 600 words. This paragraph is about 150 words long. Please send us your new abstract file, naming the file with the first author’s first and last name. An abstract file for John Bloggs would be named <JohnBloggs.doc>. For first authors of more than one abstract, please add 1 and 2 to the file name, e.g., <John Bloggs1.doc>, <JohnBLoggs2.doc>.
Please send both a .doc and a .pdf version of your amended abstract file to email@example.com by 31 October 2015.
The SCLC Abstract Template can be downloaded HERE.
Conference fee and meals payments
The approved "early-bird" fees for the conference (academic staff 125GBP, postgraduate students 75GBP) can now be paid and meals purchased in our ONLINE SHOP:
- The conference fee includes the full programme of workshops, the wine reception on 9 December, coffee breaks on Thursday through Sunday, and transfer from Sheffield to Oxford by coach. Prices will go up after early-bird registration ends (see below)!
- In case of any problems with the online shop, please contact the administrator, Katie Ainscough, on firstname.lastname@example.org .
Registration deadlines (registration is now closed)
"Early-bird" registration will be 15 October; registration will remain open after that date but at a higher cost.
- All participants with oral presentations or posters should arrange to register by 15 October to remain on the programme.
- Bookings must be made by you or your administrator using a credit or debit card on the online shop above. We cannot accept late payment or cash payment at the conference from presenters (see above).
Please note: Meals can be purchased until 15 November. It will not be possible to purchases lunches or dinners after that date or at the conference.
Packages (available through the ONLINE SHOP):
- Sheffield meal plan (Thurs. and Fri. buffet lunch plus Fri. packed sandwich dinner for the coach trip to Oxford - 22GBP total);
- Supper at the Old Queen's Head, Sheffield (Thurs. evening, a Czech/Slovak or British pub meal at Sheffield's oldest public house, 12GBP)
- Oxford meal plan (Sat. and Sun. lunches - 26GBP total);
- Conference dinner in Oxford (Sat. evening - 35GBP)
- We highly recommend the two meal plans as an easy, convenient option; they are good value, esp. for Oxford, where restaurants tend to be busy and expensive.
- The conference dinner will be a sit-down multi-course meal in college with service, including drinks; it's an excellent way to get a taste of the "Oxford experience".
- We regret that lunches and packed dinners cannot be purchased individually. Meal items will be available for purchase through November, but cannot be arranged "on the door" at the conference due to the need for advance notice for catering.
- Vegetarian options are available for each item; you will be asked to indicate this as the final step when you register. We can cater for vegetarian meals, but please be aware that more complex or unusual requests probably cannot be met; if in doubt, we recommend you contact us directly to ask.
(More details in the Third circular)
Travel & Accommodation
The most convenient way to travel is to fly into Manchester on 8 or 9 December and return from London on 14 December. Transfer between Sheffield and Oxford will be arranged by the organizers but you will have to arrange transport from the airport to Sheffield and from Oxford yourself. You can travel by train or coach; there is a direct train link between Manchester Airport and Sheffield that goes through the Peak District National Park and takes about 1.5 hours.
Accommodation in Sheffield (Wed 9 and Thu 10): see this document (please note that some of the hotels offer a special rate for the conference).
Accommodation in Oxford (Fri 11, Sat 12 and Sun 13): Oxford College Accommodation website
Deadline for abstract submission: 15 May 2015 (now closed)
Notification of acceptance: 30 June 2015 (presenters have been notified)
Conference: 9-13 December 2015
If you have any questions, please email sclcAbstracts@gmail.com
Dagmar Divjak (Sheffield) and Anna Pleshakova (Oxford)
Neil Bermel (Sheffield), Jan Fellerer (Oxford), Nina Szymor (Sheffield), Jarek Jozefowski (Sheffield), Dario Lecic (Sheffield), Ludek Knittl (Sheffield), Fadhel Shalal (Sheffield)
Sheffield: School of Languages and Cultures, Jessop West, 1 Upper Hannover Street, Sheffield, S3 7RA
Oxford: St Antony's College, 62 Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6JF
N.B. The exact locations of the workshop and conference rooms will be announced as part of the programme.