Prospective students: how do I access support?

Take these three key steps before you begin your studies here to ensure that you have access to disability support as early on as possible:

1. Tell us that you are disabled

In most cases students tell the universities they are applying to that they are disabled on their UCAS or other university application form

We would encourage you to do this as it allows us to contact you about setting up support before the start of your course.

If you have already applied to the University and have not disclosed a disability on your application

Please contact us directly to discuss disability support.

2. Send us evidence of your disability as soon as possible

To qualify for University disability support you need to provide the DDSS with written evidence which provides some information about your disability

It generally takes at least a few weeks – and in some cases can take a few months - to obtain the diagnostic evidence we require. If you wait until you have started your course to obtain this, it is likely that there will be a significant delay before you are able to access disability support. As such, it’s a good idea to get evidence and email post or drop this in to DDSS as far in advance of the start of your course as possible to avoid a delay in being able to access support.

Our ‘providing medical evidence’ page outlines the kind of disability evidence we require and also provides guidance on how to obtain this.

3. Make an appointment to speak with a disability adviser

You will need to speak with an adviser before any support can be put in place

If you have not already been in touch with a disability adviser by the time you arrive in Sheffield, contact us to make an appointment.

If you have not been able to provide diagnostic evidence of your disability in advance of your meeting with an adviser, you must ensure that you bring this with you to the appointment to avoid delays in arranging your support. 

Other information for prospective students

Unsure or concerned about telling the University about your disability?

See our page on disclosing a disability.

Has your academic performance until now been compromised directly due to your disability?

If you want to tell the University that your academic performance to date may have been compromised as a direct result of your disability, please visit the Admissions Service’s Disrupted Studies page.

Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)

DSA is funding to cover the cost of any support (from 1:1 support to the provision of specialist software) you need during your studies to ensure that you are not disadvantaged as a result of your disability. We would encourage all eligible students to apply as soon as possible.

To find out if you are eligible for DSA and how to apply, visit our page on Disabled Students’ Allowances.