Technical Development and Modernisation
The Technical Development and Modernisation (TDM) project, based at the University of Sheffield, is pioneering career pathways for technicians. The TDM team, funded as a HEFCE Catalyst project, has developed a toolkit that forms a complementary package designed to create a sustainable future for HEI technical staff and services. The toolkit will help the Higher Education sector address a gap in its technical expertise and train the workforce needed to ensure the country is at the forefront of teaching and international research and development.
Our team of experts, in collaboration with an extensive group of universities, developed a clear understanding of the following challenges facing HE technical staff and services:
- Lack of consistent career pathways
- Ineffective workforce planning due to limited understanding of technical workforce
- Lack of effective recruitment and development to support succession planning
- Lack of effective Continuing Professional Development recording
- Poor signposting of development opportunities for technicians
In response to these challenges the team created the HEI Technical Resources Toolkit, which is shown in more detail in the diagram below. The toolkit, used with guidance from our team of experts, will help institutions to ensure a sustainable future for their technical staff and services.
For more information see www.sheffield.ac.uk/tdm/home