The Department of Archaeology celebrates excellence in learning and teaching
The results of the latest National Student Survey (NSS) are in and our Sheffield Archaeology students have placed our learning and teaching amongst the best!
Overall, our scores for Assessment and Feedback place Sheffield Archaeology in the Top 5 in the Russell Group, and our students clearly value the learning they are doing in the classroom, laboratory and field. Overwhelmingly, students recognised the dynamic role our staff play in contributing to their academic success through our integration of research-led teaching:
- 94% agreed that our staff make the subject interesting
- 91% commended our staff for being good at explaining things
- 91% praised the helpful comments they received on their work
The NSS is an annual assessment of student satisfaction amongst final year undergraduates at UK universities, and provides an invaluable opportunity for us to hear from our students. In the Department of Archaeology we value our students’ opinions, and we are pleased to hear that they feel they have the right opportunities to provide feedback on their courses (94%).
And we don’t just listen to feedback, we take action: this year, in response to student requests for more opportunities to enhance employability and fieldwork skills we have developed our Work Experience and Professional Development programme requirement.
The library resources available for our students also ranked highly, with 93% of the students commending them.
Our rankings in the UK and worldwide
- Guardian University League Tables 2020 - Top 10 for Archaeology
- QS World University Subject Rankings - Top 50 for Archaeology
- Student satisfaction in the Russell Group - 14th place (placement given to The University of Sheffield as a whole)
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.