After being inspired by seeing Mortimer Wheeler on television when I was young and by Mr. Norman, one of my history teachers at school I completed the BA in Prehistory and Archaeology at Sheffield in 1980. During the 1980s I combined working in commercial archaeology with involvement in a number of research projects and university field work training programmes (as well as completing my MA in Scientific Methods in Archaeology at Bradford).
At the beginning of the 1990s my involvement with research and training grew with my part-time post at the University of Sheffield. I continued to work in the commercial sector for part of the year while teaching and undertaking research the rest of the year. Also as part of my university job I was involved in setting up a commercial branch which eventually developed in to ARCUS.
In the early 2000s I became a full-time member of staff at the University of Sheffield and while keeping a small involvement in commercial work my time is now spent primarily on co-ordinating and delivering field based teaching, developing community based projects, and supporting research fieldwork.
- The economy and landscape impact of Medieval Premonstratensian Abbeys in Britain.
- Landscape change in southern Yorkshire and the North-east Midlands.
- The development and application of field techniques for investigating historic landscapes.
- The use of archaeology as a mechanism for basic skills education and for enhancing social cohesion. The geochemistry of New Zealand greenstone.
Current research projects
- Brodsworth Community Archaeology Project
- Castleton Medieval Hospital Project
de Luis, I & Merrony, C. 2010 Dibujo de campo y topografia Arcqueologos (Milan: EDAR Arqueologia y Patrimonio)
Woudstra, J.; Merrony, C. & Klemperer, M. 2005 The Great Parterre at Chatsworth: refining non-invasive archaeological methods as investigation techniques (Garden History 32:1 49-67)
Full publications list
|Selected recent Publications:
- 2010 de Luis, I & Merrony, C. Dibujo de campo y topografia Arcqueologos (Milan: EDAR Arqueologia y Patrimonio)
- 2010 (with J. Hiscock & M. Klemperer) The Brodsworth Project: investigations of the walled kitchen garden, Brodsworth Hall (in Archaeology in South Yorkshire 13: 33-37)
- 2009 (with B. Hanks & R. Doonan) Seeking the process: the application of geophysical survey on some early mining and metalworking sites (in T. Kienlin & B. Roberts, Metals and Society. Bonn: Verlag Dr. Rudolf Habelt: 421-432)
- 2006 (with C. Hamilton & W. Kitchen) An introduction to the Brodsworth Project (in Archaeology in South Yorkshire 11: 21-23)
- 2005 (with M. Klemperer & M. Cusworth) Discovering design: an archaeological investigation of the Great Parterre at Chatsworth (Archaeology & Conservation in Derbyshire 2005:)
- 2005 (with J. Woudstra & M. Klemperer) The Great Parterre at Chatsworth: refining non-invasive archaeological methods as investigation techniques (Garden History 32:1: 49-67)
- 2005 (with M. Carroll) Landsitz eines Wollbarons: die römische Gartenvilla bei Chedworth (Gloucestershire) im Südwesten von England (Archäologie in Deutschland 2005.1: 64-67)
- 2002 (with K. Branigan and K.J. Edwards) Bronze Age fuel: the oldest direct evidence for peat cutting and stack construction (Antiquity 76 (293): 849-855)
|Selected recent unpublished reports:
- 2012 (with J. Carvajal Lopez) Alinura, Butrint, Albania: archaeological investigation of a Roman coastal site (University of Sheffield for the Butrint Foundation)
- 2011 (with A. Stafford, C. Cumberpatch, T. Cockrell & S. Stein) Chasing shadows: survey and excavation on and around the site of the Spital Field, Castleton, Derbyshire 2007-2011 (University of Sheffield for the Castleton Historical Society)
- 2010 Geophysical survey at Greens Lane, Burton Pidsea, East Yorkshire (University of Sheffield for Archaeo-environmental Consultants)
- 2010 Geophysical survey of the East Lawn, Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire, March 2010 (University of Sheffield for the National Trust)
- 2009 Geophysical survey within the garden and parkland of Wortley Hall, Wortley, South Yorkshire (University of Sheffield for Wortley Hall Management Committee)
- 2008 (with C. Cumberpatch and W. Goodhind) Excavations on the Village Field, Bolsterstone, South Yorkshire: May/June 2008 (University of Sheffield for Bolsterstone Community Group)
- 2008 (with C. Cumberpatch, W. Goodhind & A. Walker) Village Field, Bolsterstone, South Yorkshire: excavations September 2007 (University of Sheffield for the Bolsterstone Community Group)
- 2007 Geophysical survey work at Kammenye-Ambar and Stepnoe Bronze Age settlement and cemetery sites, Chelyabinsk oblast, Siberia, Russia (University of Sheffield for the University of Pittsburgh)
- 2007 Archaeological survey at Sproatley, East Yorkshire, 2007 (University of Sheffield for Sandsfield Quarries Ltd.)
- 2007 Archaeological building recording at Walker’s Higher Farm, Scot Lane, Aspull, Wigan (Brampton: D.V.A.S. report 06113)
- 2006 (with C. Cox, C. Cumberpatch & S. Viner) Archaeological investigation during the construction of a new vestry at Saint Martin´s Church, Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire (University of Sheffield for Stoney Middleton P.C.C.)
- 2006 Evaluation trench on the site of Saint Dominic´s Crag, Sprotbrough, South Yorkshire (Hallam Environmental Consultants: Sheffield)
- 2006 A geophysical survey at Roche Abbey, Maltby, South Yorkshire (University of Sheffield for the Sandbeck Estate and English Heritage)
- 2006 Survey of the remaining ice house structure on the site of Saint Dominic´s Crag, Sprotbrough, South Yorkshire (Hallam Environmental Consultants: Sheffield)
- 2006 Geophysical work at Loughlands, Leven, East Yorkshire, March 2006 (University of Sheffield for Sandsfield Quarries Ltd.)
- 2005 Geophysical work in the area of the Olgino prehistoric settlement, Chelyabinsk oblast, Siberia, Russia (Interim report for the University of Pittsburgh)
- 2005 (with Michael Klemperer) Interim report on fieldwork undertaken during August and September 2004 on and around the Brodsworth Estate, South Yorkshire (University of Sheffield for the Brodsworth Estate Trustees and the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service)
Course director for the part-time degree in Archaeology.
- Archaeology in the Field
- Archaeological Fieldwork: profession and practice
- Decoding the Landscape: integrated methods in landscape archaeology
- MA in Landscape Archaeology
Programme Director of the MA Landscape Archaeology