Professor Annette Taylor
BSc, PhD, MRSC, FHEA
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Athena Swan Champion
Chair of Opportunities Committtee
+44 114 222 9607
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Pam Liversidge Building
I obtained a BSc and PhD from Physical Chemistry at the University of Leeds and was later RCUK Fellow, then Senior Lecturer, before taking a position in Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Sheffield in 2014. During my time at Leeds I also held Visiting Researcher positions with collaborators in the USA. My research involves combining chemical kinetics and mass transport with applications in materials science and biological processes.
I have over 50 publications, including in Science and PRL, and have written News and Views articles for Nature and Nature Chemistry. I have obtained research funding from the EPSRC, EU FP7 and Innovate UK as well as funding for teaching and outreach related projects from HESTEM and the RSC. I'm a member of the management committee of the COST action on Emergence and Evolution in Complex Chemical Systems and a Member of the Editorial Advisory Board for Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science (American Institute of Physics). In 2016, I was elected Chair of the Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on Oscillations and Dynamic Instabilities in Chemical Systems. I'm also a member of the EPSRC peer review college and an international grant reviewer for many organisations, including the ERC.
I'm the Athena SWAN Champion and Chair of the Opportunities Committee on matters related to Equality and Diversity in CBE at Sheffield. I recently led a successful departmental application for a Silver Athena SWAN Award.
- Research interests
My research involves reaction engineering: the design and optimisation of chemical/biochemical systems through consideration of catalytic reaction networks coupled with mass transport. The research combines experiments with kinetic modelling and has a wide range of applications such bio-reactors for fuel or food, materials formation or degradation, drug delivery and sensing.
I'm particularly interested in aqueous phase catalysis and control of dynamics in cellular biological or bioinspired chemical systems. Taking inspiration from nature or the use of natural components allows us to design functional materials and processes that are greener or more sustainable, but also harness the unique properties arising from feedback in natural systems including collective behaviour (e.g. quorum sensing in bacteria) and self-organisation.
Some current projects include:
- New methods for the bio-catalytic control of gelation for natural adhesives and repair with Prof Pojman (Louisianna State University)
- Enzyme loaded colloids or vesicles for biotechnology and healthcare applications with Dr Rossi (Salerno) and Dr Beales (Leeds)
- Self-organisation in precipitation processes with Prof’s Horvath and Toth (Szeged) and Prof Meldrum (Leeds)
- Bio-based and biodegradable materials: Optimising ester hydrolysis in polymers and lignocellulose processing for bioethanol production
- Engineering applications of biomineralisation and biofilm formation with Dr Karunakaran and the SCARAB team (Sheffield)
- Reaction-diffusion hydrogels from urease enzyme particles for patterned coatings. Communications Chemistry, 4(1).
- Editorial: Advances in oscillating reactions. Frontiers in Chemistry, 9(4). View this article in WRRO
- Periodic nucleation of calcium phosphate in a stirred biocatalytic reaction. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 59(7), 2823-2828. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling bacteria-inspired dynamics with networks of interacting chemicals. Life, 9(3). View this article in WRRO
- Charting a course for chemistry. Nature Chemistry, 11(4), 286-294.
- Influence of reaction-induced convection on quorum sensing in enzyme-loaded agarose beads. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 29(3), 033130-033130.
- Towards feedback-controlled nanomedicines for smart, adaptive delivery. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 244(4), 283-293.
- Exploitation of Feedback in Enzyme-catalysed Reactions. Israel Journal of Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- Switches induced by quorum sensing in a model of enzyme-loaded microparticles. Journal of The Royal Society Interface, 15(140). View this article in WRRO
- Correction to: Kinetics of the urea–urease clock reaction with urease immobilized in hydrogel beads. Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 123(1), 187-187.
- Kinetics of the urea–urease clock reaction with urease immobilized in hydrogel beads. Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 123(1), 177-185. View this article in WRRO
- Ester hydrolysis: Conditions for acid autocatalysis and a kinetic switch. Tetrahedron, 73(33), 5018-5022. View this article in WRRO
- Systems chemistry. Chem. Soc. Rev., 46(9), 2543-2554.
- Temporal control of gelation and polymerization fronts driven by an autocatalytic enzyme reaction. Angewandte Chemie, 128(6), 2167-2171. View this article in WRRO
- Chemistry: Small molecular replicators go organic. Nature, 537(7622), 627-628.
- Temporal Control of Gelation and Polymerization Fronts Driven by an Autocatalytic Enzyme Reaction. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 55(6), 2127-2131. View this article in WRRO
- Insights into collective cell behaviour from populations of coupled chemical oscillators. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(31), 20047-20055. View this article in WRRO
- Helical Turing patterns in the Lengyel-Epstein model in thin cylindrical layers. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 25(6), 064308-064308. View this article in WRRO
- Role of Differential Transport in an Oscillatory Enzyme Reaction. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 118(23), 6092-6097.
- Correction. Biophysical Journal, 106(7), 1548-1548.
- Motion and Interaction of Aspirin Crystals at Aqueous–Air Interfaces. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 117(43), 13572-13577.
- Chemical patterns in translating vortices: Inter- and intra-cellular mixing effects. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 23(2), 023115-023115.
- Characterising stationary and translating vortex flow using magnetic resonance. EPL (Europhysics Letters), 99(6), 68001-68001.
- Reduction waves in the two-variable Oregonator model for the BZ reaction. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 241(16), 1336-1343.
- pH Wave-Front Propagation in the Urea-Urease Reaction. Biophysical Journal, 103(3), 610-615.
- Phase Clusters in Large Populations of Chemical Oscillators. Angewandte Chemie, 123(43), 10343-10346.
- Phase Clusters in Large Populations of Chemical Oscillators. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 50(43), 10161-10164.
- Low frequency temperature forcing of chemical oscillations. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 13(26), 12321-12321.
- Complex organizing centers in groups of oscillatory particles. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 13(39), 17802-17802.
- Base-Catalyzed Feedback in the Urea−Urease Reaction. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114(44), 14059-14063.
- Time-lapse thiol-acrylate polymerization using a pH clock reaction. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 48(13), 2955-2959.
- Dynamical quorum sensing and synchronization in collections of excitable and oscillatory catalytic particles. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 239(11), 785-790.
- A path to patterns. Nature Chemistry, 1(5), 340-341.
- Dynamical Quorum Sensing and Synchronization in Large Populations of Chemical Oscillators. Science, 323(5914), 614-617.
- Nonlinear PH responsive chemomechanical devices. American Chemical Society, Polymer Preprints, Division of Polymer Chemistry, 49(1), 804.
- Acid Autocatalysis and Front Propagation in Water-in-Oil Microemulsions. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 112(7), 2499-2505.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of flow distributed oscillations in a packed bed reactor. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 25(4), 551-552.
- An Organic-Based pH Oscillator. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 111(4), 549-551.
- Collective Behavior of a Population of Chemically Coupled Oscillators. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 110(20), 10170-10176.
- A novel route to pH oscillators. Chemical Physics Letters, 417(1-3), 39-42.
- Loss of coherence in a population of diffusively coupled oscillators. The Journal of Chemical Physics, 125(22), 224708-224708.
- The Tris(2,2'-Bipyridyl)Ruthenium-Catalysed Belousov–Zhabotinsky Reaction. Progress in Reaction Kinetics and Mechanism, 31(2), 59-115.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of chemical waves in porous media. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 16(3), 037103-037103.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Flow-Distributed Oscillations. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 109(37), 8306-8313.
- Complex Behavior in the Formaldehyde−Sulfite Reaction. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 109(1), 283-288.
- Propagation of chemical waves across inexcitable gaps. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 5(18), 3928-3928.
- Comment on ‘Chemical oscillations induced by flow transports’ [J. Wang, Chem. Phys. Lett. 360 (2002) 289–293]. Chemical Physics Letters, 371(5-6), 757-759.
- Mechanism and Phenomenology of an Oscillating Chemical Reaction. ChemInform, 34(12).
- CHEMICAL PATTERNS IN SIMPLE FLOW SYSTEMS. Advances in Complex Systems, 06(01), 155-162.
- Mechanism and Phenomenology of an Oscillating Chemical Reaction. Progress in Reaction Kinetics and Mechanism, 27(4), 247-326.
- Flow-driven instabilities in the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction: Modelling and experiments. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 3(6), 957-964.
- Wave initiation in the ferroin-catalysed Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction with visible light. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2(3), 413-416.
- Complex chemical reactions — A review. Chemical Engineering Science, 55(2), 209-215.
- Analysis of reaction–diffusion waves in the ferroin-catalysed Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 1(19), 4595-4599.
- Scroll waves in the Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction: exploitation of O2-effect on the ferroin-catalysed system. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 1(5), 807-811.
- Effect of oxygen on wave propagation in the ferroin-catalysed Belousov–Zhabotinsky reaction. Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, 94(8), 1029-1033.
- Reaction-diffusion waves Homogeneous and inhomogeneous effects. Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, 93(20), 3733-3736.
- Collective Behavior of Urease pH Clocks in Nano- and Microvesicles Controlled by Fast Ammonia Transport. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 1979-1984.
- Inward propagating chemical waves in Taylor vortices. Physical Review E, 81(4).
- Emergence of Collective Behavior in Groups of Excitable Catalyst-Loaded Particles: Spatiotemporal Dynamical Quorum Sensing. Physical Review Letters, 102(15).
- Clusters and Switchers in Globally Coupled Photochemical Oscillators. Physical Review Letters, 100(21).
- pH oscillations and bistability in the methylene glycol–sulfite–gluconolactone reaction. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 9(28), 3711-3716.
- Spatiotemporal Networks in Addressable Excitable Media. Physical Review Letters, 95(3).
- Modelling wave propagation across a series of gaps. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 6(19), 4677-4681.
- Complex pattern development in a plug–flow reactor. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 4(22), 5640-5643.
- A bistable switch in pH in urease-loaded alginate beads. Chem. Commun., 50(76), 11107-11109.
- From Clocks to Synchrony: The Design of Bioinspired Self‐Regulation in Chemical Systems, Out‐of‐Equilibrium (Supra)molecular Systems and Materials (pp. 61-90).
- Modelling Approach to Enzymatic pH Oscillators in Giant Lipid Vesicles, Advances in Bionanomaterials (pp. 63-74). Springer International Publishing
- QUORUM SENSING AND SYNCHRONIZATION IN POPULATIONS OF COUPLED CHEMICAL OSCILLATORS, Engineering of Chemical Complexity (pp. 261-278). WORLD SCIENTIFIC
Conference proceedings papers
- MODELLING OF NON-EQUILIBRIUM SYSTEMS: REACTION NETWORKS FOR BIOINSPIRED BEHAVIOUR. Computational Modeling: From Chemistry to Materials to Biology
- Engineering Enzyme-Driven Dynamic Behaviour in Lipid Vesicles (pp 197-208)
- Phase clustering in globally coupled photochemical oscillators. The European Physical Journal Special Topics, Vol. 165(1) (pp 137-149)
Software / Code
- Supplementary information for: Switches Induced by Quorum Sensing in a Model of Enzyme-loaded Microparticles.
- Periodic Nucleation of Calcium Phosphate in a Stirred Biocatalytic Reaction. Angewandte Chemie, 132(7), 2845-2850.