Professor Will Zimmerman
Level 4 Director
T: +44 (0)114 222 7517
BScEng, MSc, PhD, CEng FIChemE
I'm a graduate of Princeton and Stanford Universities in Chemical Engineering and the author of over 100 scientific publications. Previously I was Director of the MSc in Environmental and Energy Engineering, and a winner in US and UK national competitions of five prestigious fellowships (2005-6 Royal Academy of Engineering Senior Research Fellow, 2000-5 EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow; 1994-99 Royal Academy of Engineering, Zeneca Young Academic Fellow; 1991-93 visiting professorships appointed by the French Ministry of Education at the Littoral University in Dunkirk in 1998 and 2005.
I was interviewed on my algal biofuels work on BBC Radio 4 “Material World with Quentin Cooper”. My Royal Academy of Engineering SRF, entitled “Systems Biology and Chemical Engineering” has laid down a protocol for optimal experimentation for bioreactor model-building via inverse methods. I directed Microfluidics 2003, a workshop at CISM in Udine from which he edited a book on microfluidics, and is the author of two bestselling texts on multiphysics modelling .
Perlemax Ltd, University spinout company, was founded to exploit his research and technological advances. Perlemax and Zimmerman have won the below awards/recognition:
Professor Zimmerman is creative or co-creative inventor on 5 patents:
(1) Bubble Generation for Aeration and Other Purposes; Zimmerman WB, Tesar V
(2) Plasma Microreactor Apparatus, Sterilisation Unit and Analyser; Zimmerman WB, Lozano Parada JH
(3) Bubble Generation to Strip Components of a Liquid; Zimmerman WB
(4) Mass Transfer Processes With Limited Sensible Heat Exchange; Zimmerman WB
(5) Rheometer and Rheometric Method; Zimmerman WB, Rees JM