The facilities and equipment available in the Centre for Cement and Concrete.
Servo control systems
- Kelsey Instruments 8 channel digital mode
- Losenhausen/Dartec 2 channel analogue mode
Servo control actuators
- Losenhausen 250kN 500kN 150mm stroke tension/compression
- Eland 10kN 600mm stroke 50kN 200mm stroke 130kN 400mm stroke tension/compression
Universal testing machines
- ESH 1000kN 100mm stroke tension/compression with thermal chamber to 200 C
- Amsler 100kN tension/compression 400kN 1000kN 2000kN compression
- Denison 500kN tension/compression
- Capacity 1000kN 4m wide by 10m long by 2.5m high crane 5t access 3m wide by 2.9m high
- Capacity 500kN frame 6.5m long by 4.5m wide by 4m high. Strong base area 25m by 21.35 m headroom 5m crane 2t access 5m by 4m
Sustained loading rigs for long term creep
Universal testing machines:
- ELE 2000kN compression (cube-crusher)
- Hounsfield tensometer 20kN tension/compression
- Siemens X-ray diffractometer
X-Ray fluorescence microscopy:
- Advanced scanning and transmission electron microscopy
- Differential scanning and thermal calorimetry
- Graviometric analysis
Mercury intrusion porosimetry
Multi-axial compression machine for concrete under elevated temperature
Recently constructed at the University of Sheffield, this unique device can deliver three independent principal stresses (up to 400 MPa) on 100 mm cubes.
The precision of the measurement system enables stresses and strains to be detected to within 0.2 MPa
and 10 microstrain respectively.
Fire spalling testing facility
Our existing fire spalling testing facility consists of: (i) a 36KVA three-phase transformer, (ii) a temperature controller, (iii) a heating element radiant panel, and (iv) a data acquisition system. The system can heat a concrete surface of 400 mm × 400 mm.
Oxygen permeability apparatus:
- 6 cells for sample sizes 25mm 50mm 100mm 150mm diameter and 50mm thickness
Chloride permeability apparatus:
- 4 cells for sample size 50mm diameter and 50mm thickness
Porosity measurement apparatus:
- Vacuum saturation
Intermittent salt spray cabinet:
- Timer controls switching spray on/off. Purge rate controllable
Cyclic freeze-thaw cabinet:
- Programmable temperature -30 to 70 C by 0.1 C
A global reputation
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.