Dr Adrien Chauvet
Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9414
|Chauvet Group Website|
Dr Adrien Chauvet obtained his PhD in Biophysics from Purdue University (USA, 2012) in Prof. Sergei Savikhin’s laboratory of ultrafast spectroscopy working on photosynthetic protein complexes. He then moved to Switzerland in the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) under a Marie-Curie postdoctoral fellowship with Prof. Majed Chergui followed by a senior postdoc position at the University of Geneva (2015) with Prof. Jean-Pierre Wolf, working on new techniques for the elucidation and control of ultrafast photo-chemical processes. In 2016 he was appointed to a lectureship in physical chemistry at the University of Sheffield
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Biophysics, Photo-Chemistry, Photosynthesis, Pulse Shaping, High-Harmonics Generation.
Physical Chemistry, Spectroscopy.
The Sun represents an unlimited source of energy that can be harvested and ultimately converted to electricity. Solar energy is therefore the solution to not only depart from fossil fuels, but also to respond to the ever-increasing energy needs of our society. In this grand scheme, our group is interested in the fundamental understanding of light absorption and conversion by means of various laser-based techniques.
In order to do so, we investigate the ultrafast behavior of a variety of natural and artificial proteins in solution (bc-cytochromes, Reaction-Centers, modified porphyrins), which entails applying microfluidics technologies to state-of-the-art pulsed laser systems.
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Yoann Pertot , Cédric Schmidt , Mary Matthews , Chauvet A, Martin Huppert , Vit Svoboda , Aaron von Conta , Andres Tehlar , Denitsa Baykusheva , Jean-Pierre Wolf & Hans Jakob Wörner (2017) Time-resolved x-ray absorption spectroscopy with a water window high-harmonic source. Science, 355(6322), 264-267. View this article in WRRO
- Agarwal R & Chauvet AAP (2017) Ultrafast Dynamics of the Photo-Excited Hemes b and cn in the Cytochrome b6f Complex. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19, 3287-3296. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet AAP, Agarwal R, Haddad AA, van Mourik F & Cramer WA (2016) Photo-induced oxidation of the uniquely liganded heme f in the cytochrome b 6 f complex of oxygenic photosynthesis. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 18, 12983-12991. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet AAP, Agarwal R, Cramer WA & Chergui M (2015) Note: Small anaerobic chamber for optical spectroscopy. Review of Scientific Instruments, 86(10), 106101-106101. View this article in WRRO
- Al Haddad A, Chauvet A, Ojeda J, Arrell C, van Mourik F, Auböck G & Chergui M (2015) Set-up for broadband Fourier-transform multidimensional electronic spectroscopy. Optics Letters, 40(3), 312-312. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A, Jankowiak R, Kell A, Picorel R & Savikhin S (2015) Does the Singlet Minus Triplet Spectrum with Major Photobleaching Band Near 680–682 nm Represent an Intact Reaction Center of Photosystem II?. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 119(2), 448-455. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A, Tibiletti T, Caffarri S & Chergui M (2014) A microfluidic flow-cell for the study of the ultrafast dynamics of biological systems. Review of Scientific Instruments, 85(10), 103118-103118. View this article in WRRO
- Hasan SS, Zakharov SD, Chauvet A, Stadnytskyi V, Savikhin S & Cramer WA (2014) A Map of Dielectric Heterogeneity in a Membrane Protein: the Hetero-Oligomeric Cytochrome b6f Complex. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 118(24), 6614-6625. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A, Sarrou J, Lin S, Romberger SP, Golbeck JH, Savikhin S & Redding KE (2013) Temporal and spectral characterization of the photosynthetic reaction center from Heliobacterium modesticaldum. Photosynthesis Research, 116(1), 1-9. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A, Dashdorj N, Golbeck JH, Johnson TW & Savikhin S (2012) Spectral Resolution of the Primary Electron Acceptor A 0 in Photosystem I. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 116(10), 3380-3386. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A, Jagannathan B, Golbeck JH & Savikhin S (2009) Type I reaction center from the green sulfur bacterium Chlorobium tepidum: is Chl a a primary electron acceptor?. Biophysical Journal, 96(3), 526a-527a. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet AAP, Al Haddad A, Kao W-C, van Mourik F, Hunte C & Chergui M () Photo-induced dynamics of the heme centers in cytochrome bc1. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(3), 2143-2151. View this article in WRRO
- Chauvet A (2019) Fourier Transform in Ultrafast Spectroscopy In Nikolic GS & Marković-Nikolić D (Ed.), Fourier Transforms - Century of Digitalization and Increasing Expectations
- Chauvet AAP () Microfluidics for Ultrafast Spectroscopy, Advances in Microfluidics - New Applications in Biology, Energy, and Materials Sciences InTech View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Zakharov SD, Hasan SS, Chauvet A, Stadnytsky V, Savikhin S & Cramer WA (2014) Dielectric Heterogeneity in the Cytochrome B6F Complex. Biophysical Journal, Vol. 106(2) (pp 371a-371a)
- Zakharov SD, Hasan SS, Chauvet A, Savikhin S & Cramer WA (2013) Electrostatically Constrained Pathway of Intra-Monomer Electron Transfer in the Cytochrome B6F Complex of Oxygenic Photosynthesis. Biophysical Journal, Vol. 104(2) (pp 488a-488a)