Dr Barbara Ciani
Lecturer in Biophysical Chemistry
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9438
Dr. Ciani obtained a Laurea in Chemistry at University "La Sapienza", Rome in 1997. This was followed by a DPhil in Biochemistry at the University of Sussex in Brighton in 2001, after which she became a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Nottingham (2001-2003) and subsequently at the University of Manchester (2004-2008). In 2008 she was appointed as a Lecturer in Biophysical Chemistry at the University of Sheffield.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
Coiled coils, leucine zippers, de novo design, amyloid, ESCRT complex, circular dichroism, NMR.
Analytical Chemistry; Biophysical Chemistry
Protein-protein interactions are essential to ensure correct function of all living organisms. One of the means for regulating protein-protein interactions is through coiled coil domains.
Coiled coils are oligomerisation domains present in a large variety of proteins that play major roles in almost all biological processes. The most attractive feature of coiled coils is that their multimerisation properties can be `programmed´ by their amino acid sequences.
Research in our lab focuses specifically in two main areas:
Our lab has expertise in:
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Chand S, Beales PA, Claeyssens F & Ciani B (2018) Topography design in model membranes: Where biology meets physics. Experimental Biology and Medicine. View this article in WRRO
- Beales PA, Ciani B & Mann S (2018) The artificial cell: Biology-inspired compartmentalization of chemical function. Interface Focus, 8(5).
- Teare P, Smith CF, Adams SJ, Anbu S, Ciani B, Jeuken LJC & Peacock AFA (2018) pH dependent binding in de novo hetero bimetallic coiled coils. Dalton Transactions, 47(31), 10784-10790. View this article in WRRO
- Marklew CJ, Booth A, Beales PA & Ciani B (2018) Membrane remodelling by a lipidated endosomal sorting complex required for transport-III chimera, in vitro. Interface Focus, 8(5). View this article in WRRO
- Grasby JA, Thompson MJ, Gotham V & Ciani B (2018) A conserved loop-wedge motif moderates reaction site search and recognition by FEN1. Nucleic Acids Research. View this article in WRRO
- Muthana M, Hawtree S, Wilshaw A, Linehan E, Roberts H, Khetan S, Adeleke G, Wright F, Akil M, Fearon U , Veale D et al (2015) C5orf30 is a negative regulator of tissue damage in rheumatoid arthritis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(37), 11618-11623. View this article in WRRO
- Beales PA & Ciani B (2015) Chemical compartmentalisation by membranes: from biological mechanism to biomimetic applications. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17(24), 15487-15488.
- Beales PA, Ciani B & Cleasby AJ (2015) Nature's lessons in design: nanomachines to scaffold, remodel and shape membrane compartments. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17(24), 15489-15507. View this article in WRRO
- Patel N, Exell JC, Jardine E, Ombler B, Finger LD, Ciani B & Grasby JA (2013) Proline Scanning Mutagenesis Reveals a Role for the Flap Endonuclease-1 Helical Cap in Substrate Unpairing. J. Biol. Chem., 288, 34239-34248. View this article in WRRO
- Jackson MP, Louth J, Thompson MJ, Ciani B & Chen B (2013) Anti prion molecules and their interaction with amyloid beta. PRION, 7, 77-77.
- Hameed A, Bennett E, Ciani B, Hoebers LPC, Milner R, Lawrie A, Francis SE & Grierson AJ (2013) No evidence for cardiac dysfunction in Kif6 mutant mice.. PLoS One, 8(1), e54636. View this article in WRRO
- Ciani B, Bjelic S, Honnappa S, Jawhari H, Jaussi R, Payapilly A, Jowitt T, Steinmetz MO & Kammerer RA (2010) Molecular basis of coiled-coil oligomerization-state specificity.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 107(46), 19850-19855.
- Steinmetz MO, Gattin Z, Verel R, Ciani B, Stromer T, Green JM, Tittmann P, Schulze-Briese C, Gross H, van Gunsteren WF , Meier BH et al (2008) Atomic models of de novo designed cc beta-Met amyloid-like fibrils.. J Mol Biol, 376(3), 898-912.
- Matousek WM, Ciani B, Fitch CA, Garcia-Moreno B, Kammerer RA & Alexandrescu AT (2007) Electrostatic contributions to the stability of the GCN4 leucine zipper structure.. J Mol Biol, 374(1), 206-219.
- Macdonald PR, Progias P, Ciani B, Patel S, Mayer U, Steinmetz MO & Kammerer RA (2006) Structure of the extracellular domain of Tie receptor tyrosine kinases and localization of the angiopoietin-binding epitope.. J Biol Chem, 281(38), 28408-28414.
- Cavey JR, Ralston SH, Sheppard PW, Ciani B, Gallagher TRA, Long JE, Searle MS & Layfield R (2006) Loss of ubiquitin binding is a unifying mechanism by which mutations of SQSTM1 cause Paget's disease of bone.. Calcif Tissue Int, 78(5), 271-277.
- Cavey JR, Ralston SH, Hocking LJ, Sheppard PW, Ciani B, Searle MS & Layfield R (2005) Loss of ubiquitin-binding associated with Paget's disease of bone p62 (SQSTM1) mutations.. J Bone Miner Res, 20(4), 619-624.
- Layfield R, Ciani B, Ralston SH, Hocking LJ, Sheppard PW, Searle MS & Cavey JR (2004) Structural and functional studies of mutations affecting the UBA domain of SQSTM1 (p62) which cause Paget's disease of bone.. Biochem Soc Trans, 32(Pt 5), 728-730.
- Searle MS & Ciani B (2004) Design of beta-sheet systems for understanding the thermodynamics and kinetics of protein folding.. Curr Opin Struct Biol, 14(4), 458-464.
- Hocking LJ, Lucas GJA, Daroszewska A, Cundy T, Nicholson GC, Donath J, Walsh JP, Finlayson C, Cavey JR, Ciani B , Sheppard PW et al (2004) Novel UBA domain mutations of SQSTM1 in Paget's disease of bone: genotype phenotype correlation, functional analysis, and structural consequences.. J Bone Miner Res, 19(7), 1122-1127.
- Searle MS, Platt GW, Bofill R, Simpson SA & Ciani B (2004) Incremental contribution to protein stability from a beta hairpin "finger": limits on the stability of designed beta hairpin peptides.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl, 43(15), 1991-1994.
- Ciani B, Layfield R, Cavey JR, Sheppard PW & Searle MS (2003) Structure of the ubiquitin-associated domain of p62 (SQSTM1) and implications for mutations that cause Paget's disease of bone.. J Biol Chem, 278(39), 37409-37412.
- Ciani B, Jourdan M & Searle MS (2003) Stabilization of beta-hairpin peptides by salt bridges: role of preorganization in the energetic contribution of weak interactions.. J Am Chem Soc, 125(30), 9038-9047.
- Ciani B, Hutchinson EG, Sessions RB & Woolfson DN (2002) A designed system for assessing how sequence affects alpha to beta conformational transitions in proteins.. J Biol Chem, 277(12), 10150-10155.
- Steinert PM, Candi E, Tarcsa E, Marekov LN, Sette M, Paci M, Ciani B, Guerrieri P & Melino G (1999) Transglutaminase crosslinking and structural studies of the human small proline rich 3 protein.. Cell Death Differ, 6(9), 916-930.
- Candi E, Melino G, Lahm A, Ceci R, Rossi A, Kim IG, Ciani B & Steinert PM (1998) Transglutaminase 1 mutations in lamellar ichthyosis. Loss of activity due to failure of activation by proteolytic processing.. J Biol Chem, 273(22), 13693-13702.
- Melino G, De Laurenzi V, Catani MV, Terrinoni A, Ciani B, Candi E, Marekov L & Steinert PM (1998) The cornified envelope: a model of cell death in the skin.. Results Probl Cell Differ, 24, 175-212.
- Ciani B, Paci M, Idler W, Tarcsa E, Kartasova T, Melino G & Steinert PM (1997) Solution NMR structure of the human SPR3 protein.. J INVEST DERMATOL, 108(4), 98-98.
- ANTONIOLETTI R, CECCHINI C, CIANI B & MAGNANTI S (1995) IODOENOLCYCLIZATION .3. A GENERAL-APPROACH TO TETRASUBSTITUTED FURANS FROM 2-ALKENYL-1,3-DICARBONYL COMPOUNDS. TETRAHEDRON LETT, 36(49), 9019-9022.
Conference proceedings papers
- Booth A, Marklew C, Ciani B & Beales PA (2017) Developing ESCRT-III as a toolkit for bottomup construction of eukaryote-like artificial cells. EUROPEAN BIOPHYSICS JOURNAL WITH BIOPHYSICS LETTERS, Vol. 46 (pp S46-S46)
- Booth A, Marklew C, Ciani B & Beales PA (2017) Developing ESCRT-III as a toolkit for bottom-up construction of eukaryote-like artificial cells. EUROPEAN BIOPHYSICS JOURNAL WITH BIOPHYSICS LETTERS, Vol. 46 (pp S116-S116)
- Mitchell DE & Ciani B (2017) Recyclable bionanostructures from self-assembling peptides. EUROPEAN BIOPHYSICS JOURNAL WITH BIOPHYSICS LETTERS, Vol. 46 (pp S306-S306)
- Muthana M, Davies H, Khetan S, Wright F, Hawtree S, Ciani B & Wilson A (2014) THU0515 C5orf30 A Novel Regulator of Tissue Damage in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, Vol. 73(Suppl 2) (pp 361.3-361)
- Muthana M, Khetan S, Hawtree S, Davies H, Gbadebo A, Akil M, Ciani B, Wright F & Wilson AG (2014) BIOLOGICAL ROLES OF C5ORF30 IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS SYNOVIAL FIBROBLASTS. RHEUMATOLOGY, Vol. 53 (pp 147-147)
- Muthana M, Davies H, Khetan S, Adeleke G, Hawtree S, Wright F, Ciani B, Akil M & Wilson AG (2013) The biological role of C5orf30 in rheumatoid arthritis pathogenesis. IMMUNOLOGY, Vol. 140 (pp 45-45)
- Davies H, Muthana M, Khetan S, Adeleke G, Hawtree S, Morrow F, Ciani B & Wilson AG (2013) THE ROLE OF C5ORF30 IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS PATHOGENESIS. ANNALS OF THE RHEUMATIC DISEASES, Vol. 72 (pp 190-190)
- Muthana M, Davies H, Khetan S, Adeleke G, Hawtree S, Tazzyman S, Morrow F, Ciani B & Wilson G (2013) BIOLOGICAL ROLES OF C5ORF30 IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. RHEUMATOLOGY, Vol. 52 (pp 50-50)
- Muthana M, Khetan S, Adeleke GA, Tazzyman S, Aynsley S, Morrow F, Hawtree S, Ciani B & Wilson AG (2012) Biological Roles of C5orf30 in Rheumatoid Arthritis. ARTHRITIS AND RHEUMATISM, Vol. 64(10) (pp S767-S767)