Dr Benjamin M. Partridge
Lecturer in Organic Chemistry
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9303
Dr Ben Partridge graduated with an MSci in Chemistry with Industrial Experience from the University of Bristol in 2007. He stayed at Bristol for his PhD, working with Prof. Varinder Aggarwal FRS, before moving to the University of California, Berkeley in 2011 for a post-doc with Prof. John Hartwig. From 2013 he worked with Prof. Hon Wai Lam at the Universities of Edinburgh and then Nottingham. He was appointed as Lecturer of Organic Chemistry at the University of Sheffield in June 2016.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
Asymmetric synthesis, boron, catalysis, organic synthesis, organometallic chemistry
Research in the Partridge group focuses on the development of new methods for the synthesis of organic molecules. We design our methods to make chiral molecules, controlling the stereochemistry in our reactions. To achieve this, we use our two main interests: catalysis and organoboron chemistry. Ultimately our work aims to:
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Grayson J & Partridge BM (2019) Mild Cu-Catalyzed Oxidation Of Benzylic Boronic Esters To Ketones. ACS Catalysis, 9(5), 4296-4301. View this article in WRRO
- Matos AM, Man T, Idrissi I, Souza CC, Mead E, Dunbar C, Wolak J, Oliveira MC, Evans D, Grayson J , Partridge B et al (2019) Discovery of N-methylpiperazinyl flavones as a novel class of compounds with therapeutic potential against Alzheimer’s disease: synthesis, binding affinity towards amyloid β oligomers (Aβo) and ability to disrupt Aβo-PrPC interactions. Pure and Applied Chemistry.
- Callingham M, Partridge BM, Lewis L & Lam HW (2017) Enantioselective Rhodium‐Catalyzed Coupling of Arylboronic Acids, 1,3‐Enynes, and Imines by Alkenyl‐to‐Allyl 1,4‐Rhodium(I) Migration. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 56(51), 16352-16356. View this article in WRRO
- Partridge BM, Solana González J & Lam HW (2014) Iridium-Catalyzed Arylative Cyclization of Alkynones by 1,4-Iridium Migration. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 53(25), 6523-6527.
- Partridge BM & Hartwig JF (2013) Sterically Controlled Iodination of Arenes via Iridium-Catalyzed C–H Borylation. Organic Letters, 15(1), 140-143.
- Partridge BM, Chausset-Boissarie L, Burns M, Pulis AP & Aggarwal VK (2012) Enantioselective Synthesis and Cross-Coupling of Tertiary Propargylic Boronic Esters Using Lithiation-Borylation of Propargylic Carbamates. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 51(47), 11795-11799.
- Aggarwal VK, Ball LT, Carobene S, Connelly RL, Hesse MJ, Partridge BM, Roth P, Thomas SP & Webster MP (2012) Application of the lithiation–borylation reaction to the rapid and enantioselective synthesis of the bisabolane family of sesquiterpenes. Chemical Communications, 48(74), 9230-9230.
- Partridge BM, Thomas SP & Aggarwal VK (2011) Enantioenriched synthesis of Escitalopram using lithiation–borylation methodology. Tetrahedron, 67(52), 10082-10088.
- (2011) LITHIATED PRIMARY ALKYL CARBAMATES FOR THE HOMOLOGATION OF BORONIC ESTERS. Organic Syntheses, 88, 247-247.
- Matas I, Whittell GR, Partridge BM, Holland JP, Haddow MF, Green JC & Manners I (2010) Synthesis, Electronic Structure, and Reactivity of Strained Nickel-, Palladium-, and Platinum-Bridged Ferrocenophanes. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132(38), 13279-13289.
- Whittell GR, Partridge BM, Presly OC, Adams CJ & Manners I (2008) Strained Metallocenophanes with Late Transition Metals in the Bridge: Syntheses and Structures of Nickel- and Platinum-Bridged Ferrocenophanes. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 47(23), 4354-4357.