Dr Marco Conte
Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9506
|Conte Group Website|
Dr. Marco Conte obtained a Laurea in Chemistry from the University of Padova in 2003. This was followed by a PhD from Cardiff University in 2006. He was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of York from 2006 to 2009, at the Cardiff School of Chemistry from 2010 to 2011, and at the Cardiff Catalysis Institute from 2011 to 2013. He was appointed as Lecturer with teaching duties at the University of Sheffield in 2013, followed by further appointment as Lecturer with research in physical chemistry and catalysis in 2014.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
Heterogeneous catalysis, zeolites, metal oxides, metal nanoparticles. In situ techniques, reaction mechanisms, kinetics, molecular modelling. X-ray powder diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, electron paramagnetic resonance.
Physical Chemistry, Catalysis, Physics
The research activity of our group is centred on heterogeneous catalysis, with the aim of development and design of new materials for: selective hydrocarbon or alcohol oxidation reactions, isomerization reactions of sugars, and decomposition of pollutants for water treatment processes. In our research approach, particular emphasis is placed on the identification of structure-activity correlations and kinetic studies. In fact, unveiling the actual structure of a catalyst, together with the identification of the intermediates generated during a catalytic process, are essential factors in designing catalysts with enhanced selectivity towards specific and desired products.
Our research makes use of an array of spectroscopic tools and characterization methods involving: magnetic resonance spectroscopies (NMR and EPR), optical spectroscopies (IR, Raman), thermal methods of analysis (TGA), chromatographic techniques (GC/MS), surface science characterizations (XPS), bulk analysis of solids (XRPD, and in situ XRD employing state-of-the-art high temperature cell), and elemental analysis (ICP). Methods above are complemented by computational studies. Research areas of interest are:
Nanostructured metal oxides
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Razali NA, Conte M & McGregor J (2019) The role of impurities in the La2O3 catalysed carboxylation of crude glycerol. Catalysis Letters. View this article in WRRO
- Wilde CA, Ryabenkova Y, Firth IM, Pratt L, Railton J, Bravo-Sanchez M, Sano N, Cumpson PJ, Coates PD, Liu X & Conte M (2019) Novel rhodium on carbon catalysts for the oxidation of benzyl alcohol to benzaldehyde: A study of the modification of metal/support interactions by acid pre-treatments. Applied Catalysis A: General, 570, 271-282. View this article in WRRO
- Weston JO, Miyamura H, Yasukawa T, Sutarma D, Baker CA, Singh PK, Bravo-Sanchez M, Sano N, Cumpson PJ, Ryabenkova Y , Kobayashi S et al (2017) Water as a catalytic switch in the oxidation of aryl alcohols by polymer incarcerated rhodium nanoparticles. Catal. Sci. Technol., 7(18), 3985-3998. View this article in WRRO
- Liu X, Conte M, He Q, Knight D, Murphy D, Taylor S, Whiston K, Kiely C & Hutchings GJ (2017) Catalytic Partial Oxidation of Cyclohexane by Bimetallic Ag/Pd Nanoparticles on Magnesium Oxide. Chemistry, 23(49), 11834-11842. View this article in WRRO
- Ryabenkova Y, Jadav N, Conte M, Hippler MFA, Reeves-McLaren N, Coates PD, Twigg P & Paradkar A (2017) Mechanism of Hydrogen-Bonded Complex Formation between Ibuprofen and Nanocrystalline Hydroxyapatite. Langmuir, 33(12), 2965-2976. View this article in WRRO
- Conte M & Hippler MFA (2016) Dynamic NMR and Quantum-Chemical Study of the Stereochemistry and Stability of the Chiral MoO2(acac)2 Complex in Solution. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 120(34), 6677-6687. View this article in WRRO
- Liu X, Conte M, Elias D, Lu L, Morgan DJ, Freakley SJ, Johnston P, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2016) Investigation of the active species in the carbon-supported gold catalyst for acetylene hydrochlorination. Catalysis Science and Technology, 6(13), 5144-5153.
- Conte M, Liu X, Murphy DM, Taylor SH, Whiston K & Hutchings GJ (2016) Insights into the Reaction Mechanism of Cyclohexane Oxidation Catalysed by Molybdenum Blue Nanorings. Catalysis Letters, 146(1), 126-135. View this article in WRRO
- Horoshenkov K, Pelegrinis M, Conte M, Venegas R & Umnova O (2015) Acoustical characterization of nano-porous carbons. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 138(3), 1885-1885.
- Liu X, Conte M, Weng W, He Q, Jenkins RL, Watanabe M, Morgan DJ, Knight DW, Murphy DM, Whiston K , Kiely CJ et al (2015) Molybdenum blue nano-rings: an effective catalyst for the partial oxidation of cyclohexane. Catalysis Science & Technology, 5(1), 217-227. View this article in WRRO
- Liu X, Ryabenkova Y & Conte M (2015) Catalytic oxygen activation versus autoxidation for industrial applications: a physicochemical approach. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(2), 715-731. View this article in WRRO
- Liu X, Conte M, Sankar M, He Q, Murphy DM, Morgan D, Jenkins RL, Knight D, Whiston K, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2015) Liquid phase oxidation of cyclohexane using bimetallic Au–Pd/MgO catalysts. Applied Catalysis A General, 504, 373-380. View this article in WRRO
- Alhumaimess M, Lin Z, He Q, Lu L, Dimitratos N, Dummer NF, Conte M, Taylor SH, Bartley JK, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2014) Oxidation of benzyl alcohol and carbon monoxide using gold nanoparticles supported on MnO
2nanowire microspheres. Chemistry - A European Journal, 20(6), 1701-1710.
- Conte M, Davies CJ, Morgan DJ, Carley AF, Johnston P & Hutchings GJ (2014) Characterization of Au3+species in Au/C catalysts for the hydrochlorination reaction of acetylene. Catalysis Letters, 144(1), 1-8. View this article in WRRO
- Behera GC, Parida K, Dummer NF, Whiting G, Sahu N, Carley AF, Conte M, Hutchings GJ & Bartley JK (2013) Tungstate promoted vanadium phosphate catalysts for the gas phase oxidation of methanol to formaldehyde. Catalysis Science and Technology, 3(6), 1558-1564.
- Conte M, Davies CJ, Morgan DJ, Davies TE, Elias DJ, Carley AF, Johnston P & Hutchings GJ (2013) Aqua regia activated Au/C catalysts for the hydrochlorination of acetylene. Journal of Catalysis, 297, 128-136.
- Conte M, Davies CJ, Morgan DJ, Davies TE, Carley AF, Johnston P & Hutchings GJ (2013) Modifications of the metal and support during the deactivation and regeneration of Au/C catalysts for the hydrochlorination of acetylene. Catalysis Science and Technology, 3(1), 128-134.
- Conte M & Hutchings GJ (2012) ChemInform Abstract: Hydrochlorination of Acetylene Catalyzed by Gold. ChemInform, 43(52), no-no.
- Conte M, Liu X, Murphy DM, Whiston K & Hutchings GJ (2012) Cyclohexane oxidation using Au/MgO: an investigation of the reaction mechanism.. Phys Chem Chem Phys, 14(47), 16279-16285.
- Conte M, Xu B, Davies TE, Bartley JK, Carley AF, Taylor SH, Khalid K & Hutchings GJ (2012) Enhanced selectivity to propene in the methanol to hydrocarbons reaction by use of ZSM-5/11 intergrowth zeolite. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 164, 207-213.
- Lopez-Sanchez JA, Conte M, Landon P, Zhou W, Bartley JK, Taylor SH, Carley AF, Kiely CJ, Khalid K & Hutchings GJ (2012) Reactivity of Ga
2O 3clusters on zeolite ZSM-5 for the conversion of methanol to aromatics. Catalysis Letters, 142(9), 1049-1056.
- Pradhan S, Bartley JK, Bethell D, Carley AF, Conte M, Golunski S, House MP, Jenkins RL, Lloyd R & Hutchings GJ (2012) Non-lattice surface oxygen species implicated in the catalytic partial oxidation of decane to oxygenated aromatics.. Nat Chem, 4(2), 134-139.
- Conte M, Lopez-Sanchez JA, He Q, Morgan DJ, Ryabenkova Y, Bartley JK, Carley AF, Taylor SH, Kiely CJ, Khalid K & Hutchings GJ (2012) Modified zeolite ZSM-5 for the methanol to aromatics reaction. Catalysis Science and Technology, 2(1), 105-112.
- Weng W, Al Otaibi R, Alhumaimess M, Conte M, Bartley JK, Dummer NF, Hutchings GJ & Kiely CJ (2011) Controlling vanadium phosphate catalyst precursor morphology by adding alkane solvents in the reduction step of VOPO
4·2H 2O to VOHPO 4·0.5H 2O. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21(40), 16136-16146.
- Brett GL, He Q, Hammond C, Miedziak PJ, Dimitratos N, Sankar M, Herzing AA, Conte M, Lopez-Sanchez JA, Kiely CJ , Knight DW et al (2011) Selective oxidation of glycerol by highly active bimetallic catalysts at ambient temperature under base-free conditions. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 50(43), 10136-10139.
- Conte M, Wilson K & Chechik V (2010) A catalytic reactor for the trapping of free radicals from gas phase oxidation reactions.. Rev Sci Instrum, 81(10), 104102.
- Conte M & Chechik V (2010) Spin trapping of radical intermediates in gas phase catalysis: cyclohexane oxidation over metal oxides.. Chem Commun (Camb), 46(22), 3991-3993.
- Chechik V, Conte M, Dransfield T, North M & Omedes-Pujol M (2010) Cyanogen formation during asymmetric cyanohydrin synthesis.. Chem Commun (Camb), 46(19), 3372-3374.
- Conte M, Miyamura H, Kobayashi S & Chechik V (2010) Enhanced acyl radical formation in the Au nanoparticle-catalysed aldehyde oxidation.. Chem Commun (Camb), 46(1), 145-147.
- Conte M, Carley AF, Attard G, Herzing AA, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2009) Corrigendum to “Hydrochlorination of acetylene using supported bimetallic Au-based catalysts” [J. Catal. 257 (2008) 190–198]. Journal of Catalysis, 266(1), 164.
- Conte M, Ma Y, Loyns C, Price P, Rippon D & Chechik V (2009) Mechanistic insight into TEMPO-inhibited polymerisation: simultaneous determination of oxygen and inhibitor concentrations by EPR.. Org Biomol Chem, 7(13), 2685-2687.
- Conte M, Miyamura H, Kobayashi S & Chechik V (2009) Spin trapping of Au-H intermediate in the alcohol oxidation by supported and unsupported gold catalysts.. J Am Chem Soc, 131(20), 7189-7196.
- Conte M, Wilson K & Chechik V (2009) Radical intermediates in chloroform reactions over triphenylphosphine-protected Au nanoparticles.. Org Biomol Chem, 7(7), 1361-1367.
- Conte M, Carley AF & Hutchings GJ (2008) Reactivation of a carbon-supported gold catalyst for the hydrochlorination of acetylene. Catalysis Letters, 124(3-4), 165-167.
- Conte M, Carley AF, Attard G, Hutchings GJ, Herzing AA & Kiely CJ (2008) Hydrochlorination of acetylene using supported bimetallic Au-based catalysts. Journal of Catalysis, 257(1), 190-198.
- Conte M, Davies T, Carley AF, Herzing AA, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2007) Selective formation of chloroethane by the hydrochlorination of ethene using zinc catalysts. JOURNAL OF CATALYSIS, 252(1), 23-29.
- Ionita P, Conte M, Gilbert BC & Chechik V (2007) Gold nanoparticle-initiated free radical oxidations and halogen abstractions.. Org Biomol Chem, 5(21), 3504-3509.
- Conte M, Carley AF, Heirene C, Willock DJ, Johnston P, Herzing AA, Kiely CJ & Hutchings GJ (2007) Hydrochlorination of acetylene using a supported gold catalyst: A study of the reaction mechanism. Journal of Catalysis, 250(2), 231-239.
- Conte M, Budroni G, Bartley JK, Taylor SH, Carley AF, Schmidt A, Murphy DM, Girgsdies F, Ressler T, Schlögl R & Hutchings GJ (2006) Chemically induced fast solid-state transitions of omega-VOPO4 in vanadium phosphate catalysts.. Science, 313(5791), 1270-1273.
- Solsona B, Conte M, Cong Y, Carley A & Hutchings G (2005) Unexpected promotion of Au/TiO
2by nitrate for CO oxidation. Chemical Communications(18), 2351-2353.
- Herzing AA, Watanabe M, Edwards JK, Conte M, Tang Z-R, Hutchings GJ & Kiely CJ () Energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy of bimetallic nanoparticles in an aberration corrected scanning transmission electron microscope. FARADAY DISCUSSIONS, 138, 337-351. View this article in WRRO